Williams article - | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Williams article -

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have yet to type a word in this forum ,that was not critized...
And yet it doesn't dawn on you that maybe that what you are saying and/or how you are saying it, might be the problem?

What I stated..STANDS.
And you are doubling down. Actually Tripling down at this point.

(ursusminor, Knightbridge, sarals, J66kicker, old alum, I know I know :oops: , but this is "different" :cool:)

Reaction Score
What I stated..STANDS.I have yet to type a word in this forum ,that was not critized...looks like the Vol Nation when an outsider posts on that forum.Of course I am an outsider in this forum,I understand that.So be it.

How do you differentiate between your postings and the comments about your postings? If you believe my response was critical, then obviously your posted critical comments about Geno's handling of his player. I suggested you make observations as opposed to criticisms. "If the shoe fits, wear it". After all, it was one game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
ElZ: you are a funny man....your stuff always eases my pain.

He has files of those things just ready to trot out at the opportune moment.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some of my fondest memories of Tiffany Hayes were from when she would occasionally post people up on the low block. I loved watching her footwork with her back to the basket! And I think she really liked mixing it up down there.

Reaction Score
As to Gabby playing in the paint, that is prolly going to be a one year phenomenon anyway. With Boykin, KLS, Collier and Butler coming in next year, the paint is likely to get pretty crowded.

And in the meantime she will increase her usefulness to the team and develop some
skills that will enhance the breadth and versatility of her game which will only make
her more attractive in the WNBA draft. Looks to me like it's all good.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand the discussion about Williams being a post. Geno said he considered her a big guard and still considers her a big guard. Big guards post up. Williams said she wasn't use to being touched (not a direct quote). When she made that known to Geno ( or made it obvious during practice) , she should have immediately gone to the locker room to get additional arm pads (and possibly shoulder pads) because as any of the upper classwomen could have told her, her new position was in the post. After getting comfortable with the touch thing, she will eventually become a 2/3 and when in with Nurse share bringing up the ball duties (as combo guards do).
I think some of the posts think Gabby is going to play center. Because of her leaping ability she can post up anyone her size or a little bigger. They did that with Kaleena a lot last year.Post up your man

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
. . . Post up your man

Wasn't that a hit song by Tammy Wynette? :rolleyes:
No, that was "Please Mr. Postman."

11472919485_3f6bd57ebf_m.jpg

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What I stated..STANDS.I have yet to type a word in this forum ,that was not critized...looks like the Vol Nation when an outsider posts on that forum.Of course I am an outsider in this forum,I understand that.So be it.
You sound a lot like another poster.... Magic.

T

TroyHouse66

WesternPaFan...
In your case you might want to learn how to SPELL and PRONOUNCE...
Nevada!!!
Where you got "Nav.", we can't even guess.

N E V A D A... "Snow covered" The Silver State. The Sagebrush State.
Where'd ya grow up?
Pittsberg...

(Gabby... Hope you had a great Nevada Day!)
(That's just Halloween to you western Pansilvania folks)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.

Then why should anyone give a damn about your comments? ie Why post them?

Reaction Score
Wow,I can't beleave all the Gabby positive comments now.As I said a number of times ...She is special.But should be the 2.She played the 1 at Reed and dominated most games,and this is in the big school Nav.high schools.I had seen her play LIVE THREE GAMES in Nav.She is special and belongs at the 2.And she is a good 3 point shot also has a very quick release if Geno would allow her to shoot the three.She is outstanding slasher and can sky like I have never seen before.If allowed she will attack the hoop against multiple defenders,and amaze you!I am sure she will have her ups and downs in college ball,but given the opportunity at her normal position .She will excel.It is unfair to put her up against 6-2 6-3,6-4,6-5 players and expect her to dominate,this will hurt her chances of ever even having a chance at All-American!And a final comment to bring the RATH of the bone yard down on me...The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.

I agree with your points in some manner but not your overall message. I agree with you and marlboroughmike regarding not wanting Gabby to become a post player. I had a similar argumet a while back and I'll continue with - "if she is only 5'9 there is no way in hell I want her to be a post." But first off I'm not sure she is just 5'9 like I heard she was a while back. But secondly -why is it so wrong to post her on occasion? Geno has told us he'd have had Griner go outside a little - he did that with Stef. He has posted KML- so what's wrong with posting Gabby? This was just the 1st exhibition game. Gabby has 4 years. This early part of her career probably won't define her.

I'll reiterate I agree with you I think you and I cringe when we hear comparisons to Barb Turner. Barb was a good player but not a great player. Though hardd-nosed a ton of heart. Ton of it. But many of us a are hopeful when we get a player ranked around 7 or 8 they will ultimately achieve A/A status. Barb playing the 4 - there is no way in hell I want our team to go back to that - in which we ultimately got annihilated on the glass. Jumping high is overrated as a rebounder.

With all this said I don't think you are showing any pateince here and are over-reacting to her frosh year. I'd like to ask you these questions:

1--- If you were Geno and you recruited Chong and the 4 frosh what do you think your message would have been to each kid? Wouldn't it have been indirectly something like -"you have a chance to compete/play big minutes etc?" He absolutley doens't rpomise minutes but with these 5 don't you think he is "preaching" to each kid they have a shot to compete - will be treated fairly amongst the others? So if Nurse and Chong are outplaying Gabby in practice -- you think it's fair to these kids and start Gabby anyways even thouhg she is being outplayed at the guard position? How often has Geno started freshmen on potential vs. other players that are playing better in practice? Maybe if he was desperate he'd go with "potential."

2---What I don't understand is that I know you must realize that Gabby has been hurt lot the past two years. Missed a lot of time. So isn't it possible that if Geno has said Chong was his best practice palyer - and his 2nd comment of "as of this moment Nurse would most likley be his a/a of the 4 frosh" -- that the Gabby you saw as a jr is now a bit rusty and is probably not doing the things you saw her do as a junior? So you expect Geno to discard what he sees from practices and not give the kids that are playing better in pratices an opportunity to start nor gaive them the chance to play bigger minutes despite outplaying Gabby?

I'm not hating on you - matter of fact I'm with you on this post stuff to a certain level. But I think no harm to get Gabby to learn to post. If she is as big and strong as it sounded (5'11 and solid build) - IMO it is a "must" that she learns to punish smaller guards also. Even though you and I are hopeful that she will ultimately become at least a 2 - maybe a 3 (if she is 5'11 she can be so much more too)- I don't agree that 2's or 3's should be only focused on living on the outside. Learn to post smaller too.

Reaction Score
The good example of an outsider...Can't critize good old "9 NC Geno"....No good ol boy would ever do that....Well, I will .....when I disagree with his coaching.But I sure as hell better not do it on this forum.He is perfect here.Sorry no man is perfect..Nor is any coach perfect....And as far as my comments being irritating....I have been irritated also by the constant Canadian guard worship on this forum...I would think she is the next coming of Bob Cousy or Don Hennon,Sorry I won't change my positive thoughts on Gabby Williams..She is still the top freshman guard if allowed to get her feet set at the position in college.But,She will still do well bouncing position to position.While some others may not.Boy,the shoe is tight..BUT IT FITS!I think I will keep that pair of shoes,maybe give me a shoe horn with them.I'am sure the Vol Nation would.And by the way,have you ever tuned in to the Vol Nation...Some of you would have a stroke..If you heard how they talk about Geno.

Reaction Score
She is still the top freshman guard if allowed to get her feet set at the position in college.

I disagree with your point 100%. There is no way the top freshman should be excused from getting consistently outplayed in practices. Then she isn't the top frehsman guard. You don't excuse practices and award a player "top frosh status" just because of potential unless your team is desperate in some manner.

If Geno says right now Nurse is beating out a player like Gabby - then Nurse as of right now is one helluva player. You aren't in the practices neither am I. Gneo says as of this moment Nurse is playing better. Thus imo Nurse is the top freshman.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well, fellow WPaFan (I'm a Yinzer), I'll give you credit for stimulating a hell of a lot of discussion by your enthusiastic and relentlessly expressed views about Geno's coaching concepts for Gabby Williams. UConn (and Geno and Gabby) will have at least 35 games together this season (and three more after that) to work things out. Let's see how this plays out, ok?

And speaking only for myself, I have no interest whatsoever in anything posted on VolNation. More fun reading your posts and responses to them.

Reaction Score
Wow,I can't beleave all the Gabby positive comments now.As I said a number of times ...She is special.But should be the 2.She played the 1 at Reed and dominated most games,and this is in the big school Nav.high schools.I had seen her play LIVE THREE GAMES in Nav.She is special and belongs at the 2.And she is a good 3 point shot also has a very quick release if Geno would allow her to shoot the three.She is outstanding slasher and can sky like I have never seen before.If allowed she will attack the hoop against multiple defenders,and amaze you!I am sure she will have her ups and downs in college ball,but given the opportunity at her normal position .She will excel.It is unfair to put her up against 6-2 6-3,6-4,6-5 players and expect her to dominate,this will hurt her chances of ever even having a chance at All-American!And a final comment to bring the RATH of the bone yard down on me...The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.
I don't know if Geno really cares about whether she's more likely to get AA honors at one position or another. He's probably more concerned about where she would best suit this team and play up to her potential. It seems he has a lot of faith in having played her down low the other night and it's likely up to him where she'll continue to play. I wouldn't doubt that she's probably not too concerned about where she plays as long as she plays and she'll probably continue to play as long as she has a great attitude and works hard each and every day. Sometimes Geno says things to inspire others to work harder and it works very effectively a good portion of the time. He likes his players competing day in and day out and striving to be better and a positive mindset is always important. From what I've heard, I get the impression that if she heard that remark about Nurse, she's probably already working harder than ever to prove him wrong. That sounds like a winning proposition for me and I hope the other freshmen bust their butts to prove him wrong as well. Meanwhile, Geno has a job to make this team the best he can and I trust his discretion in making lineup choices and position choices that serve the team most effectively.

Reaction Score
Sounds a bit like a song I heard growing up. The Coasters song, "Charlie Brown" where he wanted to know "why is everybody always picking on me". You kind of roasted Geno there and then seem to be super sensitive to any comments by people who might not be in total agreement with your opinion. As has been mentioned, he is a nine time championship coach with multiple coach of the year honors and is a hall of famer to boot. He played her (Williams) in an exhibition game in an area of potential weakness for the Huskies and you are having a conniption. She didn't seem to have any issues but boy, didn't you! She seemingly did quite well with a massive amount of rebounds in a relatively short span of time. With the kind of flexibility she showed, she'd be more likely to up her status for the WNBA in the eyes of numerous coaches. To have someone who has that skill and flexibility would make her quite the asset. I don't think too many players who have come through Storrs Connecticut have had issues with how Geno handled them and there's an awful lot of them that have played or will play in the WNBA. He's coached national teams and Olympic teams so I think he's considered to be a guy that knows his stuff. Gabby will be fine under his tutelage.

Reaction Score
WesternPaFan...
In your case you might want to learn how to SPELL and PRONOUNCE...
Nevada!!!
Where you got "Nav.", we can't even guess.

N E V A D A... "Snow covered" The Silver State. The Sagebrush State.
Where'd ya grow up?
Pittsberg...

(Gabby... Hope you had a great Nevada Day!)
(That's just Halloween to you western Pansilvania folks)
O,no I spell wong...After working on the garbage truck all my life I understand I spelled wong.I always wanted to be the garbage truck driver but always missed that question on my Garbage Truck Drivers Test.So I spent my life on the back of the truck ,jumping off to get and dump the garbage cans.It was so much fun riding on the back of the garbage truck.I bet you could pass the Garbage Truck Drivers Test.I never could.I bet you went to college and made a million $$ every year.Boy O Boy ,wish I was as smart as you.I bet I could have passed the Garbage Truck Drivers Test and drived the garbage truck.I bet me will never know though,I retired as a Garbage Can Pick Up Special Technican.I wish I went to college like youu.You my hero,troyhouse66.You spell so good.You so smart,troyhouse66.You my hero,troyhouse66,you spell good.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
O,no I spell wong...After working on the garbage truck all my life I understand I spelled wong.I always wanted to be the garbage truck driver but always missed that question on my Garbage Truck Drivers Test.So I spent my life on the back of the truck ,jumping off to get and dump the garbage cans.It was so much fun riding on the back of the garbage truck.I bet you could pass the Garbage Truck Drivers Test.I never could.I bet you went to college and made a million every year.Boy O Boy ,wish I was as smart as you.I bet I could have passed the Garbage Truck Drivers Test and drived the garbage truck.I bet me will never know though,I retired as a Garbage Can Pick Up Special Technican.I wish I went to college like youu.You my hero,troyhouse66.You spell so good.You so smart,troyhouse66.You my hero,troyhouse66,you spell good.

So I went to college.

But, since I couldn't get a job out of college, I took care of people in a nursing home, which is what we called them back then. I never felt bad for myself, only for the people whom I was helping. And despite having that college education, I am a very poor speller...always have been.

Later on I got a job that enabled me to have a comfortable life...but no where near that 1 million mark. I never felt bad for myself. And despite having that great job with a good income, I am a very poor speller...always have been.

Then one day, my job was transitioned overseas and suddenly I was unemployed. Despite what the pundits say, they job market is not good for many middle class out of work and seeking employment, especially the ones over a certain age. Still, I don't feel bad for myself, because I am hoping that things will turn around. And despite being unemployed and out of money, I am a very poor speller...always have been.

A few years ago, I found an interesting place called the Boneyard. It was a fan forum for my favorite team, and it had posters who were smart and funny, cantankerous, and odd, and generally a great bunch. Despite being intimidated by them, I listened and learned a lot about a sport that I loved. I posted some stuff about which I was not entirely accurate. Yet, I listened and learned, and filtered out what I agreed with and what didn't make sense, and learned to let some stuff go and find a way to post my thoughts in such a way that they would be reviewed for their content, and not how I was expressing myself. And despite being right sometimes and wrong other times, I am a very poor speller...always have been.

I don't worry about being judged here - at least not by most of the folks who post here. I have an opinion and from time to time that if I choose, I will air it here. I do understand that how I say things is just as important as what I am saying, and also that I must be prepared that some will disagree. I may engage in a debate with those seeing a different angle on the subject. At the end of the day though, I feel that even if I don't win the disagreement, the important thing is that I got my chance to have my say.

And that is all I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01