Williams article - | The Boneyard

Williams article -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Under the "Blogs" heading, there is another of Adamec's very solid and informative articles; this one happens to be about Gabby Williams, and I don't think it is in the "News Links" section of the Board....didn't want anyone to miss it.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
“I was just having fun and just doing what I was told, really,” Williams said. “It wasn’t really about the stats or anything.”

And this is why she will be a fantastic player in GA's system. 9pts and 11reb. Pretty good numbers if you ask me

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Linkster.......Nice article indeed. Looks like Geno is preparing G-Will to play in the post if needed. Going with a small line-up from time to time can give Stokes a breather or prepare the team to play if the posts ( Stokes; Tuck) get into foul trouble.

I like the fact that she took to it so well. Not that she liked it but it will be to her and the teams benefit in the long run . Her guard skills , leaping ability , and athleticism are an advantage if they can be taken advantage of by The Huskies.....Translation: More P.T. for her. More Wins for The Huskies.

Reaction Score
I remember Gabby saying in high school that she would redshirt her sophomore season wherever she went in hopes of following olympic aspirations? Does anyone know if that is still a part of her plans after her two ACL injuries.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I remember Gabby saying in high school that she would redshirt her sophomore season wherever she went in hopes of following olympic aspirations? Does anyone know if that is still a part of her plans after her two ACL injuries.

She said about a year ago that she had all but given up the high jump, that she discovered a bigger passion for basketball than she had previously. So unless something changes I don't think you have to worry about the Olympics.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
11 rebounds is very impressive, even for a frosh in her first exhibition game. Portents of good things to come.

Reaction Score
Her and Nurse will be a immediate impact this year. Stewie KML Mojet and Kiah will bring us there but by March those 2 frosh will be something special to watch we can count on them producing

Reaction Score
Well, it looks like we are never going to sign Ivanna Stepovya, but it also looks like we now have Ivilla Junpovaya, which eases the pain.

ElZ: you are a funny man....your stuff always eases my pain.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree that Nurse and Williams will have an impact off the bench this year. Add in Tuck (I think Chong starts) and IMHO there is the core 8 Geno will use in big games. I have a feeling Edwards will struggle to see PG and Ekmark might get Gardler-type minutes, which is pretty decent for a freshman.

I wonder if Geno chatted with her at all about playing in the post, when the kid flat out says she was a PG in college. Or if he simply started playing her there when the season started. I can see where that would be a tad surprising and even disappointing for a kid, but she seems to be handling everything marvelously...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Love this quote... "Rebounding, I can still jump over people.”
Having said that, I think she got called for a couple of over the back fouls yesterday. The coaches will fix that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I really hope that Gabby stays healthy. She could be the most athletic player we have ever had. Or any team has ever had. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
ElZ: you are a funny man....your stuff always eases my pain.
Glad to hear it, Doc; pain is bad. My pain is eased by the Huskies stomping their opponents into mudholes.

T

TroyHouse66

She might begin to feel most comfortable "back East"...
if those d-mnyankee announcers would learn to pronounce the name of Nevada CORRECTLY!!

...the Silver City Kid

Reaction Score
I agree that Nurse and Williams will have an impact off the bench this year. Add in Tuck (I think Chong starts) and IMHO there is the core 8 Geno will use in big games. I have a feeling Edwards will struggle to see PG and Ekmark might get Gardler-type minutes, which is pretty decent for a freshman.

I wonder if Geno chatted with her at all about playing in the post, when the kid flat out says she was a PG in college. Or if he simply started playing her there when the season started. I can see where that would be a tad surprising and even disappointing for a kid, but she seems to be handling everything marvelously...

Gabby is quoted saying that the coaching staff started having her practise playing the post a while ago and have been giving her one on one post coaching after the team practise

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gabby is quoted saying that the coaching staff started having her practise playing the post a while ago and have been giving her one on one post coaching after the team practise
I should have been more clear - i wonder if she was recruited as a post player...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I should have been more clear - i wonder if she was recruited as a post player...

She was recruited as a player. So were the other freshmen.

Reality set in at or before the first practice and Geno split the team into frontcourt under Marisa and backcourt under Shea. Even with Kaleena joining Stewie, Kiah, Morgan, and Natalie (5), Shea had Moriah, Sadie, Saniya, Courtney, Gabby, and Kia, not to mention Tierney and Polly (8). "OK, Gabby, you've got hops (and don't shoot treys like Courtney or even Kia), so you go over there with the bigs and even things out a bit."

(Makes as much sense as any other purely speculative post.)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"I’m not used to being so physical with someone else. I’m not scared to touch them but I am a little bit hesitant. I’m starting to get out of that."
-Gabby Williams

Looks to me from Danny's pic, she's learning the "touch" in the post. :)

post_gabby.jpg

Reaction Score
"I’m not used to being so physical with someone else. I’m not scared to touch them but I am a little bit hesitant. I’m starting to get out of that."
-Gabby Williams

Looks to me from Danny's pic, she's learning the "touch" in the post. :)

post_gabby.jpg
Yeah looks like she's gettin' the hang of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member