Williams article - | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Williams article -

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would hope so... She's built like a smaller version of Kiah.
The radio announcers mentioned that. Broad shoulders, long arms, and uber athletic. Built like Mini-Kiah!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Back in the 50's there were the O'Brien twin at Seattle U who were about 5'9,"
One was a guard, the other a center and they produced some memorable wins including a one-point victory over the Harlem Globetrotters
and one that I saw live at the old Garden: a 102-101 victory over a great NYU team led by Boris Nachamkin.

A small agile post that can pass like a point and can "leap over tall buildings in a single bound" has advantages.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Barb Tuner was only about 5-10 and had a very good career in the post. Gabby can do it. 5-11 with her leaping ability. I don't see why not. Maya is just about 6-0 and she played the 4 (maybe 6-1) and she did pretty well
In the paint as an athletic 4.

I trust Geno and Rosemary.

Go Get'em Gabby!!!!

Reaction Score
I imagine that this could be "temporary." Depending of course on how Gabby develops over the rest of her career.

She has had a long layover because of injuries, so some of the precision guard skills might need some extra time to get up to speed. As a pseudo-post Williams might be more useful for now. Next year, with more experience under Gabby's belt, plus an influx of taller players entering the roster, her role might change again.

Needless to say these are all just my shoot-from-the-hips guesses, though. :)

Reaction Score
I really don't understand the discussion about Williams being a post. Geno said he considered her a big guard and still considers her a big guard. Big guards post up. Williams said she wasn't use to being touched (not a direct quote). When she made that known to Geno ( or made it obvious during practice) , she should have immediately gone to the locker room to get additional arm pads (and possibly shoulder pads) because as any of the upper classwomen could have told her, her new position was in the post. After getting comfortable with the touch thing, she will eventually become a 2/3 and when in with Nurse share bringing up the ball duties (as combo guards do).

Reaction Score
Wow,I can't beleave all the Gabby positive comments now.As I said a number of times ...She is special.But should be the 2.She played the 1 at Reed and dominated most games,and this is in the big school Nav.high schools.I had seen her play LIVE THREE GAMES in Nav.She is special and belongs at the 2.And she is a good 3 point shot also has a very quick release if Geno would allow her to shoot the three.She is outstanding slasher and can sky like I have never seen before.If allowed she will attack the hoop against multiple defenders,and amaze you!I am sure she will have her ups and downs in college ball,but given the opportunity at her normal position .She will excel.It is unfair to put her up against 6-2 6-3,6-4,6-5 players and expect her to dominate,this will hurt her chances of ever even having a chance at All-American!And a final comment to bring the RATH of the bone yard down on me...The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And she is a good 3 point shot also has a very quick release if Geno would allow her to shoot the three.

Maybe you saw her as a JR but as a SR she was just 7-24 (29%) from three.

Reaction Score
I should have been more clear - i wonder if she was recruited as a post player...

In an article on Kyla Irwin's recruiting there is this.....

"Coach Auriemma asked me what position I thought I was best at and I told him I thought I was a post player. He said he agreed with me.

I would guess the same type of conversation goes on in every recruitment process just so coach and player are on the same page and no one gets surprised.

Reaction Score
Wow,I can't beleave all the Gabby positive comments now.As I said a number of times ...She is special.But should be the 2.She played the 1 at Reed and dominated most games,and this is in the big school Nav.high schools.I had seen her play LIVE THREE GAMES in Nav.She is special and belongs at the 2.And she is a good 3 point shot also has a very quick release if Geno would allow her to shoot the three.She is outstanding slasher and can sky like I have never seen before.If allowed she will attack the hoop against multiple defenders,and amaze you!I am sure she will have her ups and downs in college ball,but given the opportunity at her normal position .She will excel.It is unfair to put her up against 6-2 6-3,6-4,6-5 players and expect her to dominate,this will hurt her chances of ever even having a chance at All-American!And a final comment to bring the RATH of the bone yard down on me...The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.

“I think Gabby’s obviously a quick learner,” UConn All-American Breanna Stewart said. “She hasn’t played in the post probably ever before in her life. And the fact that she was able to adjust so quickly because she knows that it’ll help our team and it’ll help her grow as a player to be more diverse … Her athleticism is untouchable to most people that we play against.”

“Wherever they want to put me I’ll be more than happy to help this team in any way,

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
WesternPaFan said:

perhaps you should send Geno a note conveying your thoughts. Even though he has been a great coach and motivater for several decades, he could be quite wrong about expanding her game, and what he says to the press.

and I am not sure...did he come out ans say that Stef was going to be AA at anytime during her freshman year? I cannot remember...I would have to hunt through my press clippings....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Back in the 50's there were the O'Brien twin at Seattle U who were about 5'9,"
One was a guard, the other a center and they produced some memorable wins including a one-point victory over the Harlem Globetrotters
and one that I saw live at the old Garden: a 102-101 victory over a great NYU team led by Boris Nachamkin.

A small agile post that can pass like a point and can "leap over tall buildings in a single bound" has advantages.

The O'Brien twins grew up in a tiny NJ town -- South Amboy -- and graduated in the same class (St Mary's high school) as my mother.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
WesternPA
I wouldn't get into an uproar about Gabby's initiation into the key.
She out-leaps players far taller and inside skills will be an important addition to her game.
especially if her three-point shot is just fair.
It could be a big plus in her attractiveness to the pro recruiters.
If she is what you think; it'll all come out in the wash…I mean the court.

Reaction Score

I don't know why you're surprised at all the positive comments regarding Williams. Boneyarders watch the games and track boxscores just like other fans do and they see great talent and potential when watching her play. And while I agree that Williams best position might be at the 2 guard, Geno saw more of a team need to play her at the 3 and maybe even some at the 4 against smaller teams. This versatility will allow her to get more playing, something I'm sure Williams is looking forward to. As far as her not making AA if she plays one of the forward positions, that type of thinking is completely opposite of what UConn is all about. It's not about individual accolades, it's about what's best for the team. I thought that would be obvious by now.
On edit: I believe that Geno's comment about which freshman had the best chance to be an AA included the phrase "at this point".

Reaction Score
...And a final comment to bring the RATH of the bone yard down on me...The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.Sorry, but Gabby is the Best of the freshman if allowed time and given time in college ,to get her feet under her and to develop at her normal position,the 2.She does not belong standing surrounded by trees and then expected to excel-she will have no chance at AA -and sit on the bench awaiting one of the bigs exit from the game for her playing time --- no matter her outstanding vertical...And I do not give a damn what you think of my comments.

"Of all our freshmen, to this point during practice, I would say that Kia has the best shot at becoming our next All-American," Auriemma said.

Next... Next All-American... not "best chance" to make AA, not "only one" that can be AA, etc... Kia came into preseason having played for the Canadian national team at the world championships. Gabby came into pre-season after/while rehapping from a torn ACL. Of course at this point thru preason she is ahead of Gabby... Both are going to be "really really good" players for UConn and contribute a lot to UConn's success the next four years.

Reaction Score
As said before, in playing basketball, Gabby has 'grit'. What a great performing & looking player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really dude, your lovefest with Williams and your seemingly disregard for the rest of the team is getting to be a little obnoxious. I understand she's a really good player and we all like her too, but geez, chill some. Williams will get plenty of chances to prove herself and HELP THE TEAM. Besides, learning to post up (play in the post) as a 2G is a great advantage. And it looks like she is feeling the same way.

Geno, Marissa, the coaching staff, Williams herself, the players, pretty much everyone here on the BY, all like what she's doing and are happy about it......except you. Something to think about.

Reaction Score
Really dude, your lovefest with Williams and your seemingly disregard for the rest of the team is getting to be a little obnoxious. I understand she's a really good player and we all like her too, but geez, chill some. Williams will get plenty of chances to prove herself and HELP THE TEAM. Besides, learning to post up (play in the post) as a 2G is a great advantage. And it looks like she is feeling the same way.

Geno, Marissa, the coaching staff, Williams herself, the players, pretty much everyone here on the BY, all like what she's doing and are happy about it.except you. Something to think about.

I agree. It's one thing to offer some observations from the "stands" but to then state that Geno should handle Gabby in a certain way for her own benefit seems beyond offering some observations. It falls in the category of second guessing!

Reaction Score
The Huskies are starting to remind me of the old Clockwork Orange team from the Netherlands whose players could rotate from position to position destroying the shape of defenses as they went...

Reaction Score
The news item about Genos comments on Nurse were wrong...I like Geno but saying Nurse has the best chance for AA amoung the freshman was Wrong.HOW WILL that make the REST of the freshman FEEL.
So Geno shouldn't rave about one player because it might make the others feel bad? He didn't say anything negative about them (although he has been known to do that). Athletes who are at such an elite level that they are expected to win a national championship should be more tough-minded than that. If they're that tender, then maybe they should be playing intramural sports where everyone gets a trophy.

Reaction Score
What I stated..STANDS.I have yet to type a word in this forum ,that was not critized...looks like the Vol Nation when an outsider posts on that forum.Of course I am an outsider in this forum,I understand that.So be it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The problem is not that you are an outsider. Outsiders get cut a LOT of slack here. The problem is that you seem obsessed. Being obsessed in a positive way about a player is much better than being obsessed in a negative way, but it still gets a little irritating after a while. And it IS a little presumptuous of you to pretend to know more about handling players than ol' "9-NC Geno". That's all.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What I stated..STANDS.I have yet to type a word in this forum ,that was not critized...looks like the Vol Nation when an outsider posts on that forum.Of course I am an outsider in this forum,I understand that.So be it.

Maybe you could examine how you say it as well as rather than what you say.

[on edit] and what Zorro said, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01