Whitmer is not a D1 QB | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Whitmer is not a D1 QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we had a credible running game, Whitmer would be fine. He made some great throws last night, and also some really bad ones. The Int. and scramble and throw with a wide open field were really bad lapses. The Oline really started collapsing in the 4th and Whitmer was heavily pressured.

Whitmer may not be great, but he is a reasonably capable guy sufficient for a season that is at best a minor disaster when all said and done. I wouldn't burn Boyle's RS on a 0-3 start, unless they intend to run him all the way through, thick or thin, to let him get reps and experience for next season.

We will never have a credible running game if the defense doesn't feel the need to defend the pass.

Just leaving him in there when we're 0-3 isn't really a plan for success.

You either produce or the next guy in line should get a chance.

Reaction Score
We will never have a credible running game if the defense doesn't feel the need to defend the pass.

True, but the run usually sets up the pass, and until the Oline can both run block and pass block effectively, we need them to at least be aggressive on the run block. I still go back to the fact that zone blocking for the run game is just plain stupid unless you have exceptionally quick and talented lineman coupled with a back with exceptional vision and cutting capabilities. We are deficient in all respects. But GDL keeps putting square pegs into round holes and wondering why the square pegs won't comply.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't help but womder if Whitmer is still affected by that beating P and GDL forced him to endure by putting him in at WR versus Cincy.

Reaction Score
True, but the run usually sets up the pass, and until the Oline can both run block and pass block effectively, we need them to at least be aggressive on the run block. I still go back to the fact that zone blocking for the run game is just plain stupid unless you have exceptionally quick and talented lineman coupled with a back with exceptional vision and cutting capabilities. We are deficient in all respects. But GDL keeps putting square pegs into round holes and wondering why the square pegs won't comply.

Our running game did enough against Michigan to open up the passing game, and give us the opportunities to move the ball through the air. The running game, clearly didn't do enough for us to win. I'd prefer to see Delorenzo carrying the pig over McCombs, because defenders tend to go backwards when he is being tackled, but I don't make those decisions. I'd also like to see us develop a running game again, that can be relied on to get us a first down on three or four consecutive plays, but I do wonder if we have offensive lineman and backs that are capable of exerting that kind of will on a defense. There were moments against Michigan where we ran the ball over the left side of the line, and we looked like a team that could run again, unfortunately you can count those plays, on one hand.

We have a passing offense, and structure, that we have not had anything closely resembling since joining a BCS conference. I spent a bit of time discussing the sequence around the latest killer INT against Michigan. That sequence of plays was fantastic. Looking at replays on espn3, it's hard to see what was happening on the right side of the field, but the take home point, is that we are generating multiple down field threats in the passing game, unlike any time in the past - and this is actually one of the few consistent things that we've done since Pasqualoni arrived - (generate multiple down field threats in the passing game).

Getting the ball there, and blocking, and the run game....other stories - but anyway....just saying.

You can use the pass just as effectively to set up the run, that you can use the run to set up the pass. We used the run to set up the pass against Michigan, and had Whitmer thrown anywhere but where he did on that INT, who knows.......

Reaction Score

Did you notice that Michigan was playing with 7 and sometimes only 6 in the box on plays where that were not obvious passing or running downs? They sold out to defend the pass because they knew we can't run the ball.

Reaction Score
Did you notice that Michigan was playing with 7 and sometimes only 6 in the box on plays where that were not obvious passing or running downs? They sold out to defend the pass because they knew we can't run the ball.

We were still able to pass against it. We need to develop a running game, and we need the QB that demonstrates a better ability to think on his feet.

FWIW - Michigan was 8 men in the box, immediately after we had run for a first down with Delorenzo, and immediately prior to Whitmer's Int. Bennett was called for a false start against the front.

Reaction Score
We were still able to pass against it. We need to develop a running game, and we need the QB that demonstrates a better ability to think on his feet.

FWIW - Michigan was 8 men in the box, immediately after we had run for a first down with Delorenzo, and immediately prior to Whitmer's Int. Bennett was called for a false start against the front.

McCombs is fast and quick on his feet; but, he weighs 10 lbs. soaking wet and shies away from contact. Delorenzo can take a hit or 4; but, is not fast. Since UConn is also shallow at TE, we should use a 2 back on offense, old school HB/FB I formation. With both on the field, makes it harder for defenses to anticipate which run they will get.

Also, I like the height that UConn has on the wide outs. Had a noticeable advantage over Michigan's CB's. Use it. Unfortunately, one of Whitmer's big weakness is that he tends to focus exclusively on his first pass option and does not check-off. Saw it on the interception (into 3 man coverage) and when he had the TE wide open at the 10 on the missed field goal series. As much as the offensive line is an issue; that is fully the QB's problem.

Reaction Score
McCombs is fast and quick on his feet; but, he weighs 10 lbs. soaking wet and shies away from contact. Delorenzo can take a hit or 4; but, is not fast. Since UConn is also shallow at TE, we should use a 2 back on offense, old school HB/FB I formation. With both on the field, makes it harder for defenses to anticipate which run they will get.

Also, I like the height that UConn has on the wide outs. Had a noticeable advantage over Michigan's CB's. , one issue that Use it. Unfortunately, one of Whitmer's big weakness is that he tends to focus exclusively on his first pas option and does not check-off. Saw it on the interception (into 3 man coverage) and when he had the TE wide open at the 10 on the missed field goal series. As much as the offensive line is an issue; that is fully the QB's problem.

The problem with going to the 2 back backfield, is most likely that it changes the entire structure of the offense, and what's been installed. The game plan we had against Michigan on offense was impressive. (as was the defensive game plan). What the game shows, and the film is there for anyone that wants to look at it online - as best you can with TV angles, is that we've got the ability to do good things on offense, but the players aren't getting it done. That's the reality - and it doesn't jive with anyone's view of the coaching staff around here now.

If Bennett doesn't false start, and we're able to pick up a backfield block and get that 5 man front that Michigan brought just prior to the INT - Whitmer would have had the opportunity somewhere to throw a pass that had a high percentage of going for a TD if caught. There are dozens and dozens of examples like this.

We're on our third offensive coordinator since 2010.

We lack consistencty in anything on offense, and it shows, and it's reflected in the constant change in the coaching staff over the past 3 seasons. I think it was sportsart last week that talked about the same thing (different OC"s) but from a different angle, that the kids aren't being taught what they need to succeed.

After watching this season progress, I think it's not that they aren't being given what they need to be successful, they simply aren't practiced enough in the offensive systems that we use, because they've been changing, and more importantly - we have not yet identified a bread and butter play. It was asked of the coaches and players before the season, what their bread and butter was going to be, and Steve Greene immediately said run power, and Chandler Whitmer gave a political answer, and Pasqualoni had no answer.

It shows on the field. We were up 21-14 and driving, and had just completed a nice first down series with passing and running, converted a 3rd and short with a running play, and Michigan knew we could run the clock down if we kept grinding out yards, and it was the first time (I think, that they brought 8 men down to defend the run in the entire game (5 lineman, and 3 backers) and we promptly fell apart, false started and threw an INT on the next play. I really don't see how this is something that can be blamed on the coaching staff. Especially when you've got a 6th year player, false starting in that situation. It's a tough thing to say, but the film doesn't lie. I think our OL is much improved, but probably maxed out right now, and we have no bread and butter play that we can go to when we need first downs, and instead we end up with 3rd and long, 4th and long passing situations that are not good for our QB.

It's something that can be done, changing the entire structure of the offense, but in that case - we'd be going either with a true freshmen at the FB spot, or a bunch of converted TE's for a full back, and who's to say we'd be better off, and in that system, it's tough to open up the field such that you can take advantage of the size of our WR's. We have the seams and types of things we've seen, because Davis and Philips have the size to shield defenders and give the QB a target.

Whitmer is a frustrating player though, and I'm reaching my end. He's got to show the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Reaction Score
Now that I've seen the replay, that INT was a tough one. First, I know it was 1st and 15, but I don't know what the urgency was in trying to get all 15 yards on 1st down with a lead and over 10 minutes on the clock. Second, the middle opened up - CW could have passed to LM coming out of the backfield or run it himself for a few yards. Either option would have better than throwing into triple coverage.

Strangely enough, all of CW's 4 INTs this year were thrown on 1st down and on passes over 10 yards.

Reaction Score
Now that I've seen the replay, that INT was a tough one. First, I know it was 1st and 15, but I don't know what the urgency was in trying to get all 15 yards on 1st down with a lead and over 10 minutes on the clock. Second, the middle opened up - CW could have passed to LM coming out of the backfield or run it himself for a few yards. Either option would have better than throwing into triple coverage.

Strangely enough, all of CW's 4 INTs this year were thrown on 1st down and on passes over 10 yards.

Wasn't the first one a tipped screen pass?

Reaction Score

If you've looked at espn3 replay, you know where to find it, watch and read what I wrote before, about the sequence, if I'm wrong, point it out, I'd be happy to discuss, but I think that Michigan collapsed on the route they had trouble with defending earlier in the game, and it left Deshon Foxx with a full speed sprint down the sideline, OPEN. That had Whitmer simply unlocked himself from his read on that inside route, and looked to the next level, just thrown the ball in the same direction he had thrown it, but deep, to the next level, and if it's on target, and Foxx catches it - it's a 50 yard TD. That play - the long pass, was NOT available earlier in the game, except on the formation we used, where the TD was called back.

I can tell you, this is fact, that in the past, under Edsall, our offense was very simple - about a dozen different plays all built off the same formations and principles. We never changed those things regardless of the opponent we faced. The offense would work, to the limits of what the players that were recruited could do, and how they were used, because when the plays were run, the offense would run the game plan, and when the defense started showing adjustments, they would go to a different attack option off the same basic structure.

The difference now, si that our offensive capabilities in the structure of what the offense is is much wider than it was before. We can come up with different offensive game plans based on the opponents we see, rather than do what we did the Edsall, and run the same offense no matter who it was we played.

What happened in that sequence, against Michigan, follows along with what I just wrote though, we had a game plan for Michigan, and by later stages of teh game, the D was reacting to it, in a predictable way, tryign to defend what was working. We have been using 4 wide out sets throughout the game, and we had some success. Our first TD drive (in which we actually scored TWO td's) we were using the basic concept of having an offensive gameplan and executing it.

We got to that later stage of the game, and the defense adjusted, and our player at the QB position, didn't adjust to it, and went to the well one too many times.

Reaction Score
I give him credit he has guts and he is better than j. mac. But he has no athleticism, a weak arm, he throws to many picks, doesn't read defenses that well and he gets flustered in the pocket with happy feet. Its hard to win with this guy. Oh I forgot he's short also.

There is no upside to playing him.

Michael Nebrich's stats (unbelievable!) He has much more mobility than Whitmer. Although Chandler has demonstrated some passing success and a decent arm, I would take Nebrich over him. Nebrich is truly a duel threat QB. In addition to Nebrich's VERY impressive passing stats he has 247 yards rushing and three touchdowns! Hard to believe we let Nebrich slip through the cracks! Equal or better than Whitmer in passing and no contest running the ball.
http://www.fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=754
Compare Nebrich's stats (Fordham beat Temple this year) with Whitmer's. Whitmer has negative rushing yardage both last year and this year!
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chandler_whitmer_791884.html
Interesting former UCONN coaches lead both Towson Rob Ambose, ranked #2 in FCS and Fordham, Joe Moorhead ranked # 16 in the coaches poll.
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs
All teams UCONN played this year are undefeated. Maryland knocked off WVA last Saturday 37-0. Tells me UCONN is not as bad as their press clippings! All I heard was how bad Michigan played but not too many kudos for how well UCONN played.
Based on UCONN's play, I am not ruling out a bowl possibility. We should be favored against:
Buffalo, USF, SMU, Temple and Memphis - If we win all 5, we need one win to go bowling.
We need at least one win out of Cincy, UCF, Ville and Rutgers. If we split, 2-2, we end up 7-5. After an 0-3 start, we will take
7-5 any day of the week.

Reaction Score
This is the thing XH is more of a te than a tackle. he's not strong enough and why they don't they have Levy is there who is 6'5'' 320 with good athleticism.

For example Obi M. is clearly better that A. Adams but if Adams didn't get hurt he would be starting. Same thing with Mack and Ja. Williams. Ashiru would be on the bench if Stewart didn't get hurt. These young guys with talent need to be out there.

AGREE! Especially about Ashiru! Hemmingway gets burned too much!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Michael Nebrich's stats (unbelievable!) He has much more mobility than Whitmer. Although Chandler has demonstrated some passing success and a decent arm, I would take Nebrich over him. Nebrich is truly a duel threat QB. In addition to Nebrich's VERY impressive passing stats he has 247 yards rushing and three touchdowns! Hard to believe we let Nebrich slip through the cracks! Equal or better than Whitmer in passing and no contest running the ball.
http://www.fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=754
Compare Nebrich's stats (Fordham beat Temple this year) with Whitmer's. Whitmer has negative rushing yardage both last year and this year!
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chandler_whitmer_791884.html
Interesting former UCONN coaches lead both Towson Rob Ambose, ranked #2 in FCS and Fordham, Joe Moorhead ranked # 16 in the coaches poll.
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs
All teams UCONN played this year are undefeated. Maryland knocked off WVA last Saturday 37-0. Tells me UCONN is not as bad as their press clippings! All I heard was how bad Michigan played but not too many kudos for how well UCONN played.
Based on UCONN's play, I am not ruling out a bowl possibility. We should be favored against:
Buffalo, USF, SMU, Temple and Memphis - If we win all 5, we need one win to go bowling.
We need at least one win out of Cincy, UCF, Ville and Rutgers. If we split, 2-2, we end up 7-5. After an 0-3 start, we will take
7-5 any day of the week.

I will not argue that Nebrich may well be better than Whitmer, but you cannot draw any conclusions from the statistics. Whitmer has played against 2 Top 30 BCS teams and a Towson team that is probably as good or better than Temple. The level of competition is not even in the same stratosphere.

Reaction Score
I thought Ashiru looked like the real deal. Now the thing with a freshman is that he will make some mistakes, but fundamentally he is sound, he moves well he hits hard...I'm willing to risk the occasional missed play given his upside.

I don't get the love affair with Hemmingway from this staff. the guy is too small to play tackle and he gets beaten regularly. Maybe in a year or two he's filled out and can step in there, but he gave up at least 2 of the sacks on Saturday. And he doesn't pass block to save his life. Someone needs to step in and do the job. Whitmer looked good and confident at time. His non-td to Davis was a nice throw and the 4th and 29 was actually a very nice throw, hit the guy perfectly. to me that one is partly on the receiver, he has to get to the sticks, but that is a low low percentage play in any case. Not so sure you can blame anyone. the INT was just inexcusable though. I just don't know what he was thinking.

One other comment I have. You have to make the field goal up 7. Got to make that. I don't love Christen. He's very erratic and he doesn't have much range. But you just can't miss in that situation. And he isn't good from over 40 yards. Last year he was only 2-7 from 40+. That takes away a huge weapon since it means you basically have to get to the 20 to score. I think you have to try Puyol. At this level you can't have a kicker who can't get it done from 45 yards consistently and he has never shown the ability to make those kicks.

Reaction Score
W

On the pick, they were in a standard 7 man front, with one LB out covering the slot receiver. I just checked it out.

Reaction Score
On the pick, they were in a standard 7 man front, with one LB out covering the slot receiver. I just checked it out.

You must have misunderstood me. Michigan was 8 in the box on the down PRIOR to the interception. That down was 1st and 10, immediately after we had run the ball to Delorenzo over left guard for a first down on third and short, out of a 4 wide, shotgun set. We came back with anohter 4 wide shutgun set (this time with McCombs) on first down, and michigan loaded up the left side of our formation, 8 in the box, and Bennett false started. On 1st and 15 after the penalty, we went to a 4 wide set, with the QB under center and single back deep, and Whitmer threw the INT. You are correct, they went back to their 4-3 defensive front on that down. IF you watch the replay, you can see that if he makes the simple read, and progression, realizing the situation, he can set his feet, and essentially make the same throw, but longer, and over the receiver he intended, and hit Foxx on a wheel route down the sideline, wide open. THe play design is fantastic, and calling was great. I went over this in detail before.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

And they still couldn't cover the TE or the back coming out of the backfield if that back crossed the line of scrimmage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I went over this in detail before.

I m glad that you went over it in detail because everyone on this board waits with baited breath to hear your opinions an in depth analysis.

Seriously Carl, you need another hobby as you obsess too much with a few things related to our (currently less than stellar) football program and your posts normally use far too many words.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is clearly not cutting it...I'm not an X and O guy but watching the game live it was clear he had single coverage out on the right and instead threw into triple coverage. Every game something like this happens. He has one throw: 10-15 yard slants over the middle he's very good; everything else, not good and poor decision making. He was quoted in the paper as being happy with his decision making. He also said in pre-season his goal was to be bowl eligible (i.e., 6-6). I don't care for either of those quotes. Cochran needs to come in soon but no reason to burn a season for Boyle as the rest of the offense is also inept (excluding WR's). I also think it's time to start splitting the RB carries more evenly as McCombs is a good back and player but not an every down back...

Reaction Score
When the 2nd down run brought the ball to the middle of the field, I said to my seatmates that we'll now throw a slant over the middle or throw deeper down the middle on third down. If we make the 1st down great but if incomplete, the ball is still centered for the field goal. Instead we threw a flare pass to McCombs who was tackled wide putting the ball on the right hash mark. It simply made for a tougher angle for Chad. I didn't like the 3rd down play call and sure enough, Chad missed the angled kick. Should he have made it? Perhaps, but the coach's 3rd down play call didn't help one bit.

Reaction Score
I m glad that you went over it in detail because everyone on this board waits with baited breath to hear your opinions an in depth analysis.

Seriously Carl, you need another hobby as you obsess too much with a few things related to our (currently less than stellar) football program and your posts normally use far too many words.

You want to talk football, let's talk football. I'm falling in love with espn3, b/c the video is right there. Tell me what plays that you said what 30% 60% of the time our defensive scheme was screwed up?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Whitmer is not slow and has average to decent speed. I would be willing to bet that he is a lot faster than either Cochran or Boyle.

Boyle can run as I have seen him do in high school a number of times.

My issue with Whitmer is his locking onto one receiver and not scanning the rest of the field.

Reaction Score
On the Int, he had Green on the left in one on one coverage and it looked like he had a step on his guy. On the sack prior to the missed FG, he had Green open as a hot route and and hung onto the ball. Sometimes I think he just doesn't trust some of his receivers. Have to give different guys a chance to make a play for you.

Of course this is easy for us to say watching the replay, but on the Int, Davis was completely bracketed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom