Whitmer is not a D1 QB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whitmer is not a D1 QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer is a good QB and here is why. Any QB that can keep us in the game when we have only 46 yards rushing is not bad. He made some nice throws, especially the one to McCombs for the TD.

I said that I thought that Boyle would play this year. Not so much anymore.

I thought that he would have more mobility than Johnny Mac - not the case. That was the game difference. Their QB could get some yards on the ground.

A good QB doesn't get his offense shut out in the second half.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I thought the switch should have been made last week during the Maryland game after the first pick with UConn up 7-0 and driving. And NOT Boyle, PP cannot be allowed to burn the kid this year, absolutely no reason to. Give Cochran a chance to see what he can do. Maybe there is some magic in the name. The father is 2-0 at Harding with the schools first FCIAC win ever over Stamford......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd be more concerned with burning Boyle's RS today because this offensive line may get him killed - not over 2017.

Reaction Score
A good QB doesn't get his offense shut out in the second half.
Honestly I don't know what you want the guy to to when there is no run game. I mean absolutely none. Gets sacked has 1st and 15, obvious pass down, they pick it off, game over. So the D knows that every down is passing down. He is not mobile, but a good QB I think. As good as anybody we have had hitting receivers. down field. If he has Donald Brown or Todman, then ....

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't know what you want the guy to to when there is no run game. I mean absolutely none. Gets sacked has 1st and 15, obvious pass down, they pick it off, game over. So the D knows that every down is passing down. He is not mobile, but a good QB I think. As good as anybody we have had hitting receivers. down field. If he has Donald Brown or Todman, then ....

He's incredibly inconsistent, makes terrible reads/decisions. He has an okay arm, but he's not good enough at this level....just like all the QBs we've had since Dan O

Reaction Score
Whitmer is a good QB and here is why. Any QB that can keep us in the game when we have only 46 yards rushing is not bad. He made some nice throws, especially the one to McCombs for the TD.

I said that I thought that Boyle would play this year. Not so much anymore.

I thought that he would have more mobility than Johnny Mac - not the case. That was the game difference. Their QB could get some yards on the ground.

The only QB that kept UConn in the game last night played for Michigan. UConn was in the game thanks to good defense and four turnovers.

I won't put all of the offensive woes on Whitmer, but he hasn't showed me that he is a good QB either.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is part of the problem, but just a piece:
1. Running game needs to show some consistency
2. Receivers have to hold on to the ball (There were a couple of easy drops)
3. The ground can't tackle runners in open space
4. Pass protection is questionable
5. False starts are killers

The 2nd string qb is always the solution, but I don't see TB or CC doing anything significantly different until all the issues listed above improve.

Reaction Score
If we burn Boyle's redshirt it should only be because he is outperforming Whitmer in practice. We can't burn his redshirt on a whimsical fantasy that he will be better.

I'm going to get killed for this, but we miss Scott McCummings a ton. He could have really helped us. I blame the coaching staff for messing with his head.

Reaction Score
If we burn Boyle's redshirt it should only be because he is outperforming Whitmer in practice.

I'm going to get killed for this, but we miss Scott McCummings a ton. He could have really helped us.

I think TJ could have utilized him better. Watching Gardner really made we wish we had a scrambler.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Whitmer is not a good QB. That's not debatable. He turns the ball over way too much to be considered good.

I think people are rating him as good or average in comparison to what we've trotted out at QB the past decade.

Obviously Orlovsky was an NFL talent, but aside from that the only good QB play we've seen was 2007 Tyler before his injury and 2010 second half Frazer (Papa Johns team).

Just because Whitmer is slightly less deplorable than Johnny Mc or Bones, doesn't mean he's good.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is not the answer at qb, but I don't burn Boyle's redshirt. Assuming that Coach P. is done after the season, The new coach has to do a quick & thorough evaluation of the situation. He has to assure all the signalcallers that there's an open competition for next season's starting position.
I'm tired of Whitmer's locking onto his primary receiver when there are other receivers open, his refusal to run & take the yardage being given to him by the defense (eg. choosing to throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a 5 yard running gain), & his general lack of mobility. While the o-line doesn't make life easier for him, he is only a competant backup in my mind.

Reaction Score
I would burn Boyle's redshirt. We have games we can win and we need to win. Whitmer not running in the 4th Q by the Michigan bench showed a continued lack of gamesmenship. That is a decision that requires instinct and really a will to win. You can't just throw it OOB's and go back to the huddle. We have Newsome coming in next year and I would want Boyle to have experience rather than starting 2 rookies. Remember our early schedule next year requires we are on top of our game to win. Watching pregame throws by the QB's Boyle is the best looking option. Thinking ahead to 2017 is not the right play here. We need to win now, we've got 9 games left, the season is not lost yet. I would not burn the redshirt after game 6.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is the least of this team's problems and is the best QB we've had since Dan O. He still makes some poor decisions, but so do 90% of the other QBs in college football. For the life of me I don't know why we would want to burn Boyle's shirt this season.

Reaction Score
The only thing Whitmer does wrong consistently, is throw back breaking interceptions late in games. Unfortunately, among all the things he can be doing wrong, that one hurts the offense, and by extension the whole team, the most. I'd rather have a guy with a funny throwing motion, and a knuckle ball rather than a spiral, than a QB that does this regularly. What I'd REALLY rather have is a balanced offense, that can score points efficiently on offensive possessions.

Because as the third quarter turns into the fourth, you've got at most 3-5 offensive possesions left in a game and our offense is not efficient at turning offensive possessions into points regularly so if we are down on the scoreboard or in a one possession game, that kind of turnover is disaster for us. The ball he threw last night that was picked in the second half, should not have been thrown into that coverage. THe ball that got picked against Maryland last week, should have pulled it down and taken the sack. These things have become a trend that has not improved yet.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I would play Boyle if he is any good. Redshirts are pointless unless a kid needs to put on weight to play his position. We will sign a QB next year, and each year after that. I'm not going to worry about Tim Boyle possibly playing 5 years from now.

Reaction Score
I think the decision to not tuck and run on the play before the sack was worse. He had the potential to get into field goal range on the run alone. He is just about as slow as Tyler Olander with his shoes on the wrong feet though so its hard to say.

Reaction Score
I think the decision to not tuck and run on the play before the sack was worse. He had the potential to get into field goal range on the run alone. He is just about as slow as Tyler Olander with his shoes on the wrong feet though so its hard to say.

Whitmer is not slow and has average to decent speed. I would be willing to bet that he is a lot faster than either Cochran or Boyle.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you think Boyle can do better than Whitmer, you put him in. Even if the O-line is still having issues - maybe he can handle the pressure a bit better. See if he can cut down on 2-3 mistakes a game, which contributed to losing to Michigan last night. With the caveat that whoever comes in can still get injured, and that it might take more than 1 game to get to / surpass Whitmer's level of production and of course any new QB can still make mistakes. I am a bit curious to see if Boyle can learn from game situations quickly, supposedly he was doing well picking up the playbook which got him to the depth chart.

Reaction Score
"It was just a simple zone coverage," Morgan said. "I just dropped back and did what I was coached to do, kind of read off his eyes and lo and behold he threw it that way so I was just trying to jump up and make the play on it. Once I got the ball in my hands I was just trying to follow the blockers."

-Desmond Morgan on the late interception.

Reaction Score
In listing what is wrong with our offense, anyone who has Whitmer at or near the top of the list is, well, not bright.

While he may not be at the top of the list due to the lines inability to block is he the answer? College football programs are about getting better and he won't be the guy next year, either Cochran or Boyle will. If PP didn't learn from the Johnny Video fiasco and wasted year why would he now? But this year is about getting better prepared for next year already and they can't afford their best interests for the future not to gain experience as we speak. Needs to happen plus Whitmer just isn't too good, better than McIntee but not good enough to throw away a chance to get some experience for one of the others.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is not slow and has average to decent speed. I would be willing to bet that he is a lot faster than either Cochran or Boyle.

Doesn't mean he has better and smarter feet.......he walks into things too fast, has happy feet too often and never utilizes that one step that sometimes gives you space on a rusher because of angle. The kid's okay but he's not the answer for the future. If people want to just get through the year with an okay QB and keep your backup's healthy then I guess he's the guy. I would think the program would prefer to being to find the answer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom