Whitmer is not a D1 QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmer is not a D1 QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer has some strengths and many flaws. Some of his flaws were created by the beating he endured last year. He seems to have a bit of football PTSD. I just don't feel a bowl game is realistic for us and don't want to waste Boyle's redshirt on this lost year. He could be special. I'm especially concerned that he'll take a beating this year if he plays and it could negatively affect him going forward. Imagine being new to D1 speed and decision making all the while eluding the endless defenders who get through our line.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He takes too many bad sacks. That horrible 10-yard sack he took to put out of field goal range was almost as bad as that pick into triple coverage. I'm off the Whitmer bandwagon.

Reaction Score
Did you want him to throw it past the receiver? if someone is short of the marker he is short of the marker. That's on the receiver. you gotta get downfield

I want UConn to make a big play with the game on the line. That's whatmImwant.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He takes too many bad sacks. That horrible 10-yard sack he took to put out of field goal range was almost as bad as that pick into triple coverage.

Whither' quote about the INT cannot be printed here, because it will lead to unprecedented rage.

Reaction Score
I know the OL isn't helping the situation, but I don't have a lot of confidence in CW leading long drives.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That INT was horrendous. A slow duck into triple coverage. Their guy made a great grab but if he didn't catch it, one of the other two Michigan guys would have. That had zero chance of being completed and completely shifted momentum to their side.

Reaction Score
I think he is a D1 quaterback....just a mediocre one at that, right now.......I think he has the arm strength, and his decision making is getting better albeit very slowly. He doesn't have a lick of athleticism though....Thats painfully obviously......The fact that he can't allude one 300 pound guy when he staring him in the face is pathetic......And for christ sake can he stop running from a pocket where a d-end is waiting for him in contain and just step up instead (or can he then not see, and thats why he doesn't do that? just thought of that)

Reaction Score
he has division 1 arm, but he is poorly coached. His decision-making is poor and his footwork is dicey. He needs to learn when to step up into the pocket and also when to look off the primary receiver. Almost every completion was to his first option tonight.
I like Whitmer. He has his problems, most of which is his height. He can't step up into the pocket. At his height, that's not an option for him. And he has to throw to his primary - that's all he has time for. He has to do that.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is Okay. Not going to single handedly win a game for you. Throws BADDD picks. Sadly, he is better than most we;ve had at the position. Our Oline problems don't do him any favors for sure.

Reaction Score
Whitmer in the 4th quarter rolling towards the Michigan bench had room to run, lots of it, and instead of gaining yardage he throws it away with a Michigan player trying to get a pick as it goes out of bounds. Whitmer has to get yards by running there. We wind up punting. Whitmer locks onto one receiver and throws to his right too often. On his pick he has to throw to the edge not the center of the field. There are 9 games left and we can win 6. That is why Boyle has to play. We are 5-10 with Whitmer. ENOUGH! He needs to be replaced as does Hemingway and Max needs alot more carries at RB. Joseph needs to play DE not D-tackle on passing downs. Coach Cad and his sidekick Simon Bar Sinister need to go as well. This season is not over if we make the right moves.

Reaction Score
A better OL, a better RB and a deeper set of WR's and Chandller Whitmer would be a very good QB.

But he has too many flaws that are lethal, i.e., stares down his WR's, and takes too many sacks (coverage sacks due to lack of WR depth isn't his fault) and the biggest flaw of all....he thinks he's better than he really is, hence the killer int in virtually every single game. That is who he is and it will never go away.

Give him Donald Brown, Jordan Todman and or Andre Dixon and one of our better OL's of the past and I think he makes a few of our past, average WR's, look very good.

Reaction Score
There is no way in hell P should be allowed to burn Boyle's redshirt.

While I don't disagree, that he shouldn't have his red shirt burned, until further notice P is the head coach and it would be his call to make.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe Boyle should have some input??

The problem there is no kid would say "thanks coach but I'd rather not play".

Whatever we might be able to get out of Boyle this year will cost us an entire season of a very experienced QB at the back end in 2017.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
While I don't disagree, that he shouldn't have his red shirt burned, until further notice P is the head coach and it would be his call to make.

At this point (actually from ! halftime of the Towson game) P should be under orders that any decision he makes that may impact future seasons (such as burning redshirts) need WM's signoff.

Reaction Score

Whatever we might be able to get out of Boyle this year will cost us an entire season of a very experienced QB at the back end in 2017.

You're assuming Taylor or Marchi don't provide equal competition down the road. (not to mention CC)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You're assuming Taylor or Marchi don't provide equal competition down the road. (not to mention CC)

While you are assuming they do.

Reaction Score
Funny to say Boyle is inexperienced so let's not burn his red shirt.......but let's start him as an inexperienced redshirt freshman next year??

Play him now, let him learn on what will be an awful year, and then he's ready to lead them next year........why wait.

Pretty sure that's why Nebrich is lighting it up at Fordham!!..........

Reaction Score
Whitmer has some strengths and many flaws. Some of his flaws were created by the beating he endured last year. He seems to have a bit of football PTSD. I just don't feel a bowl game is realistic for us and don't want to waste Boyle's redshirt on this lost year. He could be special. I'm especially concerned that he'll take a beating this year if he plays and it could negatively affect him going forward. Imagine being new to D1 speed and decision making all the while eluding the endless defenders who get through our line.

You don't feel a bowl game is realistic. If we finish 4-8 or better, it will be a miracle.

Reaction Score

Why not Casey Cochrane? He's already used a redshirt and he'll be transferring at the end of the year anyway. I think as a CT HS Player of the Year, he deserves a shot. Remember, other CT HS Players of the Year will be watching to see how we treat him.

Reaction Score
Why not Casey Cochrane? He's already used a redshirt and he'll be transferring at the end of the year anyway. I think as a CT HS Player of the Year, he deserves a shot. Remember, other CT HS Players of the Year will be watching to see how we treat him.

Forget Cochran, put in Taylor....at least the shotgun read option will work with the one QB that can be a threat to run.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is a good QB and here is why. Any QB that can keep us in the game when we have only 46 yards rushing is not bad. He made some nice throws, especially the one to McCombs for the TD.

I said that I thought that Boyle would play this year. Not so much anymore.

I thought that he would have more mobility than Johnny Mac - not the case. That was the game difference. Their QB could get some yards on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom