What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I doubt that anyone, regardless how optimistic he or she may be, can view this season as a success. It is quite possible that some of what transpired this season will contribute to future success but all we have to hope is that future events will allow us to not view this season as a complete failure.

Reaction Score
This season was bad. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have an FBS QB on the roster next year either. Time will tell. I hope so.

Reaction Score
This season was bad. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have an FBS QB on the roster next year either. Time will tell. I hope so.
Shirreffs committed and got snaps at NC St. To think a QB commit to an ACC school and got time as a freshman isn't any better than any QB on the UConn roster, hard to believe between a true freshman in Davis and, what most on here believe incapable, Boyle.

Reaction Score
BNich said:
Shirreffs committed and got snaps at NC St. To think a QB commit to an ACC school and got time as a freshman isn't any better than any QB on the UConn roster, hard to believe between a true freshman in Davis and, what most on here believe incapable, Boyle.

Whitmer came from a B1G school. So there is that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember when it was announced that Frazer was transferring from ND to here. The old board went nuts about how bigtime a QB he was and refused to hear any of the "well, if he was dropped to third string at ND how good can he be?" talk. Over the course of a few years I went from imitating Alan Greenspan (attempting to temper what I viewed as irrational enthusiasm) to being one of a very small few willing to defend Zach.

I hope for the best of all of our kids, still believe that with the right amount of work (and I have no problem with the spoon feeding that has happened over the past two months) Boyle can become a quality QB at this level, would have no problem if Shirrefs ends up as our QB or (if possible) someone else lands the job.

I'm not sure when we will have someone who appears to be a star QB at this level but I doubt that will happen until we get our offensive line fixed.

Reaction Score
The truth is we don't need AA level recruits to compete against our schedule. Just a group of hard working dedicated guys working together in an intelligent manner.

Sorry, but what UConn has is receivers that can't create separation, running backs who can't bounce to the outside for big gains after initial contact, QB's who can't make throws, receivers who drop balls and a kickoff returner who tippytoes after catching the ball and can only get out to the 15 or 20 yard line. On defense . . . linemen who can't get to the QB, DB's who can't cover on third and long, LB's who just aren't as good as what UConn has had in the past.

So get me talent. And if its a choice between hard working, dedicated guys working together in an intelligent manner . . . well get me the guys that Cincy had. Or East Carolina. Or Boise. Or BYU.

Reaction Score
I like our WRs. One of them is headed to the league, Lucas and Thomas are big possession guys, Bradley and Foxx are both quick enough to get separation. It a good and deep mix.

One problem is the QB can't get them the ball, the the offense is NOT designed to take advantage of their abilities. It's a high school passing game.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Sorry, but what UConn has is receivers that can't create separation, running backs who can't bounce to the outside for big gains after initial contact, QB's who can't make throws, receivers who drop balls and a kickoff returner who tippytoes after catching the ball and can only get out to the 15 or 20 yard line. On defense . . . linemen who can't get to the QB, DB's who can't cover on third and long, LB's who just aren't as good as what UConn has had in the past.

So get me talent. And if its a choice between hard working, dedicated guys working together in an intelligent manner . . . well get me the guys that Cincy had. Or East Carolina. Or Boise. Or BYU.

To say we don't have receivers is silly. Geremy Davis would be a star on another team. He has been misused and abused this year. Some NFL team is going to get a steal. We also have a ton of RB talent, so I couldn't disagree with you more

Reaction Score
It's fun to look back at expectations, which in hindsight, seemed reasonable. I thought 6 wins was probable and even with all of the misfortune this year, we still could have gotten to 6 wins. Look at the games:

BYU - Loss. Better team. Stony Brook - Win, but shouldn't have been close. Boise State - Loss, but competitive game. 24-21 with 11 minutes to go in 4th and UConn had the ball. USF - Loss. First road game and loss by 3. Temple - Loss. 7-3 at half. Temple played better in 2nd half, but don't think they had better talent. Tulane - Loss. 12-3. Could have been a win. ECU - Loss on the road by 10 to a good ECU team. UCF - Win. Bad weather, but UConn played inspired football. Army - Loss. UConn couldn't stop the option and offense was challenged. In my mind, this loss was on the coaching. Cincinnati - Loss. Blowout after a bye weak. No positives from this game.

UConn still could have won 6 games: SB, USF, Tulane, Army, SMU, and one good win which ended up being UCF.

With all the injuries this year, especially Casey Cochran and Byron Jones, it's not surprising this team struggled. We all knew that the offense was dependent on Cochran as we saw Whitmer and Boyle last year. No Cochran and the offense couldn't move the ball.

The ECU and UCF games showed improvement and provided hope. We definitely saw the team improve. Unfortunately, the Army and Cincy games have taken the hope away. What's most concerning is that the Army game was a major disappointment and we had a bye week to prepare for Cincinnati. Not only did we lay an egg against Cincy, but we found out that two RS Juniors had left the team.

The last 2 games are critical. We need to play Memphis tough and beat SMU.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This season will be a success when Wart and Fiasco are given one way tickets to Michigan.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
We all question some of his decisions and statement, but you created an account name that blatantly mocks our head coach. Your sig "I saw Diaco at Trader Vics, his hair was perfect" further states your opinion. How can we feel any stance you take on Diaco is not biased and pre-determined? We won 3 games last year, graduated the little talent we had on OL and defense, lost our starting QB after a game, and are implementing a new system with an entire new coaching staff. I think we can give the coach a season to bring in some of his own recruits and mold them into the team he envisions before turning on him.

Back on topic, as for this season, I don't believe anything can be done to call it a "success", we are past that, but we can still look for improvement. From individual play from the young players to an entire team effort in the final two games, I'm looking for a hard-fought game vs Memphis and a beatdown of SMU. Go Huskies!

I'm biting my tongue on Diaco and hanging desperately to cautious optimism for the future.

But I'll tell you what, if you had told me back when this thread started that we'd be in the position we're in, praying to keep it close against MEMPHIS, I'd have smacked you in the face with a sledgehammer and then drank myself to death by whiskey.

So that's where we are right now. Yet here I am hoping for a Memphis (MEMPHIS!!) type turnaround next year.

Reaction Score
That's the thing, I was trying to be funny with the user name, not be a "troll". Christ, some people are so defensive, I just don't get it. Here's what I say to those people: Is your name Warde Manuel? If not, then don't get insulted when we question the guy who he hired!! As for my trolling signature, I was watching "The Color of Money" and Tom Cruise was singing that song while playing pool and it made me think of werewoves and energy vampires. Sue me.

I too have been a UCONN fan for 40+ years. And I have been on this board in all its iterations longer than just about anyone. And I'm pleased to tell you that you are the 1st poster that I have ever put on ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom