What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just skimmed through this thread again because I remember it being a rational discussion. The general gist was : play hard, with general competency... Hope for 6 wins and a bowl berth but most would have taken a feisty 5-7 if we showed signs of life. None of that was unreasonable. Ahhhh the days when we still had hope.

Reaction Score
Just skimmed through this thread again because I remember it being a rational discussion. The general gist was : play hard, with general competency... Hope for 6 wins and a bowl berth but most would have taken a feisty 5-7 if we showed signs of life. None of that was unreasonable. Ahhhh the days when we still had hope.

Thanks for reminding me :(

Reaction Score
This thread was amazingly rational over the summer and most had tempered their expectations. Hope was the operative term in most of the posts. Most wanted/expected 5-7 wins. Re-read all six pages before posting and still don't believe those expectations were unreasonable.

Reaction Score
The other quote I like, and I hope the team appropriates for itself comes from a sister program. I believe it was Brianna Stewart who, during the Final 4, said something to the effect of:
"Coach isn't satisfied if we practice until we get it right. We practice until we can't get it wrong."

To me these two quotes should hang on the same wall as, but just below, Jazz's immortal words.

The quote is meaningless. When UConn football can land a player of Brianna Steward's pedigree coming out of high school. When HCBD can recruit 4 or 5 players out of the top 20, then we can talk quotes.

Truth is, Geno has established such a dynasty built in the earlier years of getting big time recruits that his quotes have no relevance to what the football team is dealing with. Kind of like John Wooden. I could care less about his virtues and hard work pontificating. I'd rather have Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Gail Goodrich and company. They'd have won with just about anyone coaching.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The truth is we don't need AA level recruits to compete against our schedule. Just a group of hard working dedicated guys working together in an intelligent manner.

The facepalm record really hits home on how bad this has been. Sitting at 4-6, with a berth in the Facepalm Bowl likely out of reach.

Reaction Score

Just had to make me look at my post, :(

Reaction Score
Losing CC right off the bat hurt a lot, but 5-6 wins wasn't an unrealistic expectation if all went well.

As it turned out, absolutely nothing went well.

Reaction Score
Losing CC was definitely a huge loss. He could create in the pocket and had athletic ability. The one thing I noticed in all the earlier posts was that Jim Calhoun was 9-19 in is 1st year and Geno waited until his 3rd year to be successful, so that gives us some hope for the future. Yesterdays blowout sure put a damper on our expectations though.

Reaction Score
Is it a number of wins? Just forward progress? An uptick in recruiting? Progress as the season moves on?

If it translates to some semblance of success next season. No more of this scrimmage/preseason crap. Hit the ground running with an established identity on each side of the ball.

.500?
Bowl game, even?

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
If it translates to some semblance of success next season. No more of this scrimmage/preseason crap. Hit the ground running with an established identity on each side of the ball.

.500?
Bowl game, even?

Name one thing you've seen this year that would lead you to believe we are on the road to this kind of improvement next year? That's the problem. Other than a few "marks", most of us were extremely rational coming into this year. But to see no improvement, and I'd suggest serious regression in a lot of areas, is not what any of us were looking for. And to see the Head Used Car Salesman never take responsibility, constantly using crutches and excuses, leaves most of us with a pit in our stomach. Those of us that have been around smiled (uncomfortably) at his early press conferences, Mr Gung Ho with the perfect hair. But the radar went up with the Key Backup Press Conference and it's been on high alert ever since. Def Con 5 is fast approaching

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Says the person who created an account for the sole purpose of trolling Diaco.

Memphis was beat soundly last year by Middle Tenn. St. and SMU, as well as got destroyed by a combined score of 86-31 to Temple and UConn. They are about to win the AAC.

How does it feel to henceforth have zero credibility?

Reaction Score
CL82 is 1/2 right. We need the season to end, and soon. It seems like 18 months ago when BYU entered the building and the place was filled with excitement. The play on the field has been well, um, let's just say generally difficult to watch. There was a glimmer of hope in the middle when we nearly knocked off ECU and beat UCF, but it was like a mirage in the desert.

What I would NOW consider a success is for this incoming class to stay committed. The team's record, the kids leaving, the on the field performance, the results, and god forbid should any of them venture over to this cess pool are enough to have any teenager question his decision. But if we can add 5 more to the 20 we have, then I will see some success. Not what I was looking for when the season began, but it is what is left for me.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Says the person who created an account for the sole purpose of trolling Diaco.

Memphis was beat soundly last year by Middle Tenn. St. and SMU, as well as got destroyed by a combined score of 86-31 to Temple and UConn. They are about to win the AAC.

How does it feel to henceforth have zero credibility?

I assume you are talking to me. Did you answer my question, it was a pretty simple one? Give me one thing you've seen that gives you hope. As for trolling Diaco, if questioning his numerous bizarre decisions and statements makes me a troll than please call me Billy Goat Gruff. I've been a UConn fan for over 40 years, and seen my share of bad and my share of phony. I think I'm allowed to post about it if I see it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A success would have to have more losses like the Giants had last night vs the Cowboys. Yep, I know - a loss is a loss and the Giants blew it, but at least they really showed something while coming up short. Our losses are 60 mins of nothing but the same 6 offensive plays run with 18 player configurations with no results.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I just re-read the entire thread, and focused on my own thoughts (admit - you all re-read your own posts....) I talked a lot about the feeling the BYU game would leave, being essential in establishing the baseline of the season, goals of creating memorable football games again, and having some meaningful late season football.......and in #145....individual player and team development, recruiting, and preparation/game planning.

I guess I should pay more attention to what I write. Immediately post BYU left me feeling confused about our intentions to actually win games, concerned about player and team development, and less than impressed with preparation and game planning.

We've got a recruiting class that looks good on paper though.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I assume you are talking to me. Did you answer my question, it was a pretty simple one? Give me one thing you've seen that gives you hope. As for trolling Diaco, if questioning his numerous bizarre decisions and statements makes me a troll than please call me Billy Goat Gruff. I've been a UConn fan for over 40 years, and seen my share of bad and my share of phony. I think I'm allowed to post about it if I see it.
Questioning bizarre decisions and statements doesn't make you a troll. Criticizing his every breath, calling names, creating an account call Perfect Hair, and being an overall doosh-bag with every key stroke makes you a troll, Billy.

I am not answering your questions because you ask it with ulterior motives. I don't recognize you possessing an ounce of credibility and I don't need your validation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But UConn fans have unrealistic expectations!

Whatever happened to giving a coach a fair shake??

Reaction Score
As for trolling Diaco, if questioning his numerous bizarre decisions and statements makes me a troll than please call me Billy Goat Gruff.

We all question some of his decisions and statement, but you created an account name that blatantly mocks our head coach. Your sig "I saw Diaco at Trader Vics, his hair was perfect" further states your opinion. How can we feel any stance you take on Diaco is not biased and pre-determined? We won 3 games last year, graduated the little talent we had on OL and defense, lost our starting QB after a game, and are implementing a new system with an entire new coaching staff. I think we can give the coach a season to bring in some of his own recruits and mold them into the team he envisions before turning on him.

Back on topic, as for this season, I don't believe anything can be done to call it a "success", we are past that, but we can still look for improvement. From individual play from the young players to an entire team effort in the final two games, I'm looking for a hard-fought game vs Memphis and a beatdown of SMU. Go Huskies!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
To consider this deconstruction season a sucess, I need to see 6 or more wins next year and competitive losses. I think that's the only thing that could make this season a succes in hindsight. The problem is I just don't know what we'll have for a QB and it's such a critical position. I'm praying that the transfer is very good or it could be more of the same as we had this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's funny someone saw him Sunday morning at 8 in Glastonbury buying cream cheese and they did comment to me his hair was perfect.

Hopefully he won breakfast.

Last edited:

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
So, if I had a different user name you would anser the question, pretty funny. Pull my other leg, it plays Jingle Bells. Your non-answer is your answer. You have seen nothing this year to give you hope, just as I have seen nothing that gives me hope.

Actually, I'm mistaken, I have seen something. I love, LOVE the stable of RBs we have. I hate, HATE how they have been used. And don't get me started on Geremy Davis and his usage, if so I'll be accused of being too negative

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
It's funny someone saw him Sunday morning at 8 in Glastonbury buying cream cheese and they did comment to me his hair was perfect.

Hopefully he won breakfast.

That's the thing, I was trying to be funny with the user name, not be a "troll". Christ, some people are so defensive, I just don't get it. Here's what I say to those people: Is your name Warde Manuel? If not, then don't get insulted when we question the guy who he hired!! As for my trolling signature, I was watching "The Color of Money" and Tom Cruise was singing that song while playing pool and it made me think of werewoves and energy vampires. Sue me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So, if I had a different user name you would anser the question, pretty funny. Pull my other leg, it plays Jingle Bells. Your non-answer is your answer. You have seen nothing this year to give you hope, just as I have seen nothing that gives me hope.

Actually, I'm mistaken, I have seen something. I love, LOVE the stable of RBs we have. I hate, HATE how they have been used. And don't get me started on Geremy Davis and his usage, if so I'll be accused of being too negative
Your actions speak louder than your user name.

Good day, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34