What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess what I'm saying is that "I" care less about the win total because I'm coming no matter what. But the optics will be important for the fan base at large. Who isn't going to care or be able to tell how hard we tried.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by (and proud of?) the rational discussion in this thread.

Sweet. Do you realize how many Boneyard poster use George DeLeone's wallpaper to wipe their A33es with? Apparently his plays suck at that too.

Reaction Score
Moral victories are great...for the die hard fan. But I still maintain that anything less than post season play shows the world that UConn football is still adrift.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Look, you can steal wins because the other team sucked worse; you can play and well and lose if the other team just plays better; if i see effort, organization, discipline, and excitement (not to mention proper use of time outs and clock), I know that the wins will eventually follow. A myopic focus on short term wins can mask the big picture.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I laugh at the people who are implying its not about the wins, they just want to see (fill in the blank). When we had the "how many would Weist need to win to keep his job" most were insisting on at minimum 5 and many said 6 wasn't enough.

Change the discussion, how many wins would you sign up for right now? I need 8 on the table before I pick up the pen.

Well I'm one of those people and my comment last year was also -- "shouldn't put a number on it." FWIW I'd have been happy to see us keep TJ - I thought he earned some consideration with the job he did. I'm also very confidant that HCBD will prove to be a monumental hire.

Reaction Score
if i see effort, organization, discipline, and excitement (not to mention proper use of time outs and clock), I know that the wins will eventually follow. A myopic focus on short term wins can mask the big picture.

We already saw effort, organization, discipline and excitement over the last 4 games last year. Weist turned the ship around once he found the right QB. Sorry, but the pressure is on Diaco to pick up where Weist left off. We have 7 home games and only 4 road games and two games that should be close to layups.

Diaco has said and done everything right since he took over and he has assembled an impressive staff, he seems to be everything we could have possibly asked for, now he just needs to win.

Here is a newsflash for everyone: Diaco is not replacing Paul Pasqualoni, he is replacing TJ Weist.

BTW UCF needed an absolute miracle finish to beat Temple on the road last year, Rutgers was good enough to play Notre Dame well in the Pinstripe bowl and Memphis statistically had one of the better defenses in the AAC before Cochran and crew ripped them a new one.

I'm not saying Diaco will be on the hotseat if he only wins 3-5 games, i'm just saying that record will be very disappointing, like it was for P.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
1. No argument on the job TJW did last year; I agree.
2. It's a semantics argument on whether an interim is 'replaced' by the guy that gets the job. I'd agree he was 'displaced'. The point of reference in evaluating BD is going to be PP. You may not like that, but I'd be very surprised if there's much interest in making BD-TJW comparisons. I think if we start hearing a lot of "we were better off with TJW", it'll mean things are not going very well.
3. Nice points on the Temple, Rutgers, Memphis murderers row but I'm not downplaying those wins. I was thankful for them. I'm just saying that I'll form my opinion of BD's job based on the eye test. Too many external factors can affect wins and losses.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Diaco will be on the hotseat if he only wins 3-5 games, i'm just saying that record will be very disappointing, like it was for P.

Sounds crazy in hindsight, but I'd have been disappointed last year with 7 wins. Thought we were a lock for 8 with a good shot at 10 against that schedule.

Reaction Score
This. I understand that a shot (however good) at 6-6 and a tidy bowl bid could arguably be called meaningful. I think we should aspire to better.
You know what happens when you shoot for a "D". (A "D" is still passing)...You get an "F". 6/6 is actually 50% and in any classroom that is a failure. 6/6 does not guarantee a bowl, we would need a CURVE. Lets not look to try to pass with a curve/invite. Let's shoot for perfection. I'll judge the season like the players, one game at a time. I'll judge the results of each game and if IMO I see an improved team with better discipline we'll verify the results on the field.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We already saw effort, organization, discipline and excitement over the last 4 games last year. Weist turned the ship around once he found the right QB. Sorry, but the pressure is on Diaco to pick up where Weist left off. We have 7 home games and only 4 road games and two games that should be close to layups.

Diaco has said and done everything right since he took over and he has assembled an impressive staff, he seems to be everything we could have possibly asked for, now he just needs to win.

Here is a newsflash for everyone: Diaco is not replacing Paul Pasqualoni, he is replacing TJ Weist.

BTW UCF needed an absolute miracle finish to beat Temple on the road last year, Rutgers was good enough to play Notre Dame well in the Pinstripe bowl and Memphis statistically had one of the better defenses in the AAC before Cochran and crew ripped them a new one.

I don't know how to break this to you but Weist wasn't put in charge at halftime of the Temple game. Even if you want to throw out the layup (using your terms) against USF which he whiffed on (and had two weeks to prepare for) as a transition game, there is still the little matter of the team packing it in well before the final whistle against UCF and Cincinnati. Of greater importance, the three games that we did win absolutely qualify as layups. I really don't understand your infatuation with TJ but he is gone (and very likely not returning). Some of what I've read here is eerily similar (I hope that this is an omen) to the many (and there were too many) Perno fans (many of the men's hoops fans in the early-mid 1980's followed the team when Dom stole the ball from Bill Bradley, securing the win that put us in the regional final and could see no wrong in him from that day forward) b!tch!ng that if JC couldn't win out of the gate, the coaching change was a mistake.

I am willing to wait and see what happens before I decide if the season has yet to begin is a disappointment. I'm willing to accept the possibility that seven or eight wins may end up being disappointing but also accept the possibility that four or five could be quite encouraging. This is about the next half dozen years or (God willing) much longer. This season will be little more than where the foundation is layed once all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Win the games we should win, win toss up games, play exceptional in games deemed over our heads (win or lose). Play fast, play physical, leave a lasting impression (literally and figuratively) on our opponents. Instill an attitude off doubt as each opponent takes the field.

Reaction Score
I don't know how to break this to you but Weist wasn't put in charge at halftime of the Temple game. Even if you want to throw out the layup (using your terms) against USF which he whiffed on (and had two weeks to prepare for) as a transition game, there is still the little matter of the team packing it in well before the final whistle against UCF and Cincinnati. Of greater importance, the three games that we did win absolutely qualify as layups. I really don't understand your infatuation with TJ but he is gone (and very likely not returning). Some of what I've read here is eerily similar (I hope that this is an omen) to the many (and there were too many) Perno fans (many of the men's hoops fans in the early-mid 1980's followed the team when Dom stole the ball from Bill Bradley, securing the win that put us in the regional final and could see no wrong in him from that day forward) b!tch!ng that if JC couldn't win out of the gate, the coaching change was a mistake.

I am willing to wait and see what happens before I decide if the season has yet to begin is a disappointment. I'm willing to accept the possibility that seven or eight wins may end up being disappointing but also accept the possibility that four or five could be quite encouraging. This is about the next half dozen years or (God willing) much longer. This season will be little more than where the foundation is layed once all is said and done.

I wish the measure of success was as simple as wins, improved attitude or just plain old competitiveness. It's much more than any of those factors. This team has to be the group that rids the program of rust and corrosion and provides a shiny new perception of UCONN football to the outside world. We really, at this point, need a "WOW" factor; a "holy sh't, look what they've done." To accomplish what needs to be accomplished, the YUGO that enters the car wash must exit as a brand new, spotless BMW that people want to buy. Piece of cake. Right?:rolleyes:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
8-4 face palm record.

I really don't have any idea how the improvements in coaching and conditioning will translate in to wins.

But if the team can play 8 games where there's not any face palm moments, I'll consider that a success. Considering it's been 3 years straight of every game being face palm worthy, I may be reaching, but I'm an eternal optimist.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I want to hear words like "turn-around" used frequently when our season is discussed by us and media types.
Adding, "Tremendous," to the beginning of that phrase would be so much sweeter, but lets take one Talking Head hyperbole at a time.

Reaction Score
After much thought, I want to go into the last two weeks of the season in line for a bowl bid. In P's first two years, we got to the last game of the year with a shot and lost to Cincy both times, with teams that had legit NFL players on it. Last year's team from the very first game looked physically soft compared to past teams. Our Oline was constantly getting knocked back by an undersized FCS Dline.

I have no doubt Diaco could turn this around though I'm not expecting miracles unless Casey or Boyle turn out to be "special" college QBs. When the team takes the field I'm hoping to see a team that resembles the team that took the field against UNC at the Rent more than the team that took the field against Towson last year.

Reaction Score
After much thought, I want to go into the last two weeks of the season in line for a bowl bid. In P's first two years, we got to the last game of the year with a shot and lost to Cincy both times, with teams that had legit NFL players on it. Last year's team from the very first game looked physically soft compared to past teams. Our Oline was constantly getting knocked back by an undersized FCS Dline.

I have no doubt Diaco could turn this around though I'm not expecting miracles unless Casey or Boyle turn out to be "special" college QBs. When the team takes the field I'm hoping to see a team that resembles the team that took the field against UNC at the Rent more than the team that took the field against Towson last year.
Why would you look for the best of what we had and not look to see even better. The very best of what we were last year is the minimum of what we should be this year. And by minimum, I mean this would be unacceptable if this minimum was our consistent best this season. This team set a bar last year, this bar has two ends. On one end, there is the way the season started and on the other is the way it finished. In between there were glimpses of potential. That potential needs to be demonstrated within a defined clarity in action! So I want the team that went to ND, beat South Carolina, stayed with Michigan, to be that team which is most consistent. Amazingly enough, how many games do you think UConn would win if they just stuck to the fundamentals, played with heart, showed discipline? Frankly, if this team plays their assignments perfectly, who should they lose to? If we have scholarship kids who cannot follow these tenements, then why are they playing UConn Football? Notice, not once did I mention talent! If UConn plays their game, holds the line on both sides of the ball, with this schedule who should we lose to? Try this, in 2003, we had who on our schedule? What did the schedule look like? Now fast forward and be honest, which schedule was/is the tougher schedule? Sure Cuse choked in those early years and Pitt? and BC? and VT? or look at this year, with ECU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston, etc. Personally if it was 2003 and we were facing our current line-up of opponents I would believe that we have had 5 straight bowl appearances...SO think about that when asking what your level of expectation is!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No offense, but what teams "play their assignments perfectly"? That is coachspeak at it's finest. What happens when two teams of similar talents play their "assignments" perfectly? Quite honestly, the first step is putting out a competent offensive line. The scholarship kids we have are the kids we have and it doesn't matter what tenements you think they shoul be able to execute. This program was a shell of itself when it took the field last year. We had regressed badly in terms of development. I expect improvement. The BYU team coming in, bitch slapped Texas last year so something tells they're probably better physically than the team that got bitchslapped by Towson.

I believe we have playmakers at WR. I think the RB position will see a talent improvement. I saw enough from CC to believe that he can hit WRS in stride and be an above average QB in terms of completion percentage. I'm concerned about how the OL is going to hold up and that tempers my enthusiasm. Also I think you sadly underestimate how good BYU, Houston, and ECU are as programs. Probably not as good as louisville, but as good or better than the likes of SU, RU, and Pitt.

Reaction Score
I wish the measure of success was as simple as wins, improved attitude or just plain old competitiveness. It's much more than any of those factors. This team has to be the group that rids the program of rust and corrosion and provides a shiny new perception of UCONN football to the outside world. We really, at this point, need a "WOW" factor; a "holy sh't, look what they've done." To accomplish what needs to be accomplished, the YUGO that enters the car wash must exit as a brand new, spotless BMW that people want to buy. Piece of cake. Right?:rolleyes:

Sorry to single this out, but if anyone inside the program is concerned in any way about outside perception, conference affiliation, publicity (beyond promoting the program for a ticket sales and attendance perspective) etc.......If anyone that's grinding every day is worried about this stuff we're . It's that simple.

They players and coaches need to focus on what they have control over in the program, and that's themselves, their physical, mental, emotional development as players, coaches, students and men, and their bonding and growth as a team, a leadership structure, that can work toward goals on the field and off. That's job #1, and should be always, and forever. Nothing happens without that foundation, that's what the players and coaches need to focus on. After that, the coaching staff, has another responsibility, and it's a matter of our recruiting competence and ability to identify talented players and bring them into the program that are on par, or supercede the talent level of squads we are aligned with in conference, and will see on our schedules regularly. Beyond that comes the third level, that applies to both coaches and players again, and that's the Edsallian tasks of preparation both off season, and inseason, physically, mentally, emotionally before the games, and then execution of the game plans on game day. THey focus on anything but those 3 levels and we are in trouble.

The rest of the perception issues, and all that, is for others to be concerned about.

Diaco has been clear about establishing priority #1, and #2. recruiting so far - if these kids at the size he's bringing them in have the mental makeup and more importantly speed - to go with the size, it won't be looking bad for the future. As for right now, the only question, as has been pointed out multiple times is what our actual talent level is right now - when the 2-deep shakes out in August. To that effect, the Stony Brook game should be a better indicator of our potential in 2014, than the BYU game, although I expect not just to compete with, but to beat BYU.

But as has been stated, I expect to beat an FCS team. Like a rented mule.* We need to be 1-0 vs. Stony Brook. Wehther or not we are 1-1, or 2-0, will be interesting. If we're 1-1, and lost to SB, and beat BYU, then none of us know WTF is going on, and the roller coaster we had the past 3 seasons hasn't stopped. If we're 0-2, well then we know something too.

*J187money

Reaction Score
No offense, but what teams "play their assignments perfectly"? That is coachspeak at it's finest. What happens when two teams of similar talents play their "assignments" perfectly? Quite honestly, the first step is putting out a competent offensive line. The scholarship kids we have are the kids we have and it doesn't matter what tenements you think they shoul be able to execute. This program was a shell of itself when it took the field last year. We had regressed badly in terms of development. I expect improvement. The BYU team coming in, bitch slapped Texas last year so something tells they're probably better physically than the team that got bitchslapped by Towson.

I believe we have playmakers at WR. I think the RB position will see a talent improvement. I saw enough from CC to believe that he can hit WRS in stride and be an above average QB in terms of completion percentage. I'm concerned about how the OL is going to hold up and that tempers my enthusiasm. Also I think you sadly underestimate how good BYU, Houston, and ECU are as programs. Probably not as good as louisville, but as good or better than the likes of SU, RU, and Pitt.
My question is, and remains if they played their assignments perfectly who would they lose to...simple the team with better talent. You take my argument and put it to a very literal extent...you must be a democrat. You are making excuses already. My point was simple this team does not have the talent to not stress perfection in their assignments. So yes mistakes will happen. And yes, there will be calls on the field - strategies that when lined up, one side will be given an advantage over the other... Some of these we will win and with our coach if he is as excellent as we hope he is we should win more of those play calls than not.
But to think for a moment that I as a fan would want to make excuses for the players based on a definition of perfection??? Have you worked a real job? If I don't give 100% effort and provide success, I will be replaced. Same is true for them, their scholarship will go up in smoke and be given to someone else. And what I was saying was simple, if they can't comprehend the need to strive to be perfect in their understanding of the fundamentals of the game and translate that into action on the field then they should be replaced. If a player decides to give up on a play, he needs to be straightened out and disciplined unlike what we saw under PP or Coach D. Furthermore, understand in the business world you will be asked to give 110% on a scale of 100%. So what does that mean? It means going above and beyond. But if you want to argue coaches double speak, understand at least this, what these kids learn on the field, about leadership, about team is not something they are likely to learn in a classroom - and certainly not in practice (Pun NOT Intended)! Don't like that, well that's the rules! Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Reaction Score
Of course I wanna see players play hard what I saw against Buffalo was unfathomable. Fortunately it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I think there is enough here to really surprise if the oline is average.

And for the record I voted for McCain but not Romney.

Reaction Score
Sorry to single this out, but if anyone inside the program is concerned in any way about outside perception, conference affiliation, publicity (beyond promoting the program for a ticket sales and attendance perspective) etc..If anyone that's grinding every day is worried about this stuff we're . It's that simple.

They players and coaches need to focus on what they have control over in the program, and that's themselves, their physical, mental, emotional development as players, coaches, students and men, and their bonding and growth as a team, a leadership structure, that can work toward goals on the field and off. That's job #1, and should be always, and forever. Nothing happens without that foundation, that's what the players and coaches need to focus on. After that, the coaching staff, has another responsibility, and it's a matter of our recruiting competence and ability to identify talented players and bring them into the program that are on par, or supercede the talent level of squads we are aligned with in conference, and will see on our schedules regularly. Beyond that comes the third level, that applies to both coaches and players again, and that's the Edsallian tasks of preparation both off season, and inseason, physically, mentally, emotionally before the games, and then execution of the game plans on game day. THey focus on anything but those 3 levels and we are in trouble.

The rest of the perception issues, and all that, is for others to be concerned about.

Diaco has been clear about establishing priority #1, and #2. recruiting so far - if these kids at the size he's bringing them in have the mental makeup and more importantly speed - to go with the size, it won't be looking bad for the future. As for right now, the only question, as has been pointed out multiple times is what our actual talent level is right now - when the 2-deep shakes out in August. To that effect, the Stony Brook game should be a better indicator of our potential in 2014, than the BYU game, although I expect not just to compete with, but to beat BYU.

But as has been stated, I expect to beat an FCS team. Like a rented mule.* We need to be 1-0 vs. Stony Brook. Wehther or not we are 1-1, or 2-0, will be interesting. If we're 1-1, and lost to SB, and beat BYU, then none of us know WTF is going on, and the roller coaster we had the past 3 seasons hasn't stopped. If we're 0-2, well then we know something too.

*J187money

Carl, you are correct in one regard. The players, the coaches (HCBD excluded), and anyone else involved in the on-field "day-to-day" have only one responsibility; performing their individual functions in a way that creates and maintains a quality product. In other words, just do their jobs. I exclude HCBD because he, like many other HC's, has an additional responsibility. He must act as the face of the program; something he has, so far, performed wonderfully.

If the players and coaches do their jobs, UCONN will have a product. Unfortunately, in this day and age, being good is worthless if the world, at large, doesn't perceive you as good. This time, someone at UCONN has to be prepared to take the improved FB product and shove it up the media's nether regions. Someone, who knows what he/she is doing, needs to make damn sure that the sweat,blood and tears put out by the team doesn't get lost or mired in previous perceptions.

UCONN f'kd this up during the RE years and wonderful accomplishment was lost because nobody knew about it. The PP years hurt. But more hurtful, to me, is the significant portion of the world that thinks the last three years are normal; as if the RE years never existed. That can't be allowed to happen again.

Reaction Score
Carl, you are correct in one regard. The players, the coaches (HCBD excluded), and anyone else involved in the on-field "day-to-day" have only one responsibility; performing their individual functions in a way that creates and maintains a quality product. In other words, just do their jobs. I exclude HCBD because he, like many other HC's, has an additional responsibility. He must act as the face of the program; something he has, so far, performed wonderfully.

If the players and coaches do their jobs, UCONN will have a product. Unfortunately, in this day and age, being good is worthless if the world, at large, doesn't perceive you as good. This time, someone at UCONN has to be prepared to take the improved FB product and shove it up the media's nether regions. Someone, who knows what he/she is doing, needs to make damn sure that the sweat,blood and tears put out by the team doesn't get lost or mired in previous perceptions.

UCONN f'kd this up during the RE years and wonderful accomplishment was lost because nobody knew about it. The PP years hurt. But more hurtful, to me, is the significant portion of the world that thinks the last three years are normal; as if the RE years never existed. That can't be allowed to happen again.

Yup, yup and more yup.

We've had successful product before, without the promotion and perception work. We've got people now higher up the chain, and at the HC position (I did put a caveat in what I wrote about ticket sales, and promotion - that was meant to mean Diaco) that do understand it, and have been doing a hell of a job for the past 2 seasons and counting - but they've doing it without the successful product.

To date, since making the upgrade to 1A officially in 2000, and I've written this umpteen times, we have not seen what both things together can achieve - a successful football team that is well promoted in the public arena. Until I'm proven wrong, my prediction is that the popularity and rush would be incredibly large.

The difficulty, is that there are so few home games year with which to accomplish it. Edsall, built everything on winning games at home - with no promotion and PR whatsoever, he wasn't personality equipped to do it, and the athletic department did nothing.

We agree. 100%. The guys in the program need to focus on what they need to focus on, they can't be distracted by the other stuff that is important to UCONN at this point in time, day and age.

Reaction Score
To save myself from digging up an old comment of mine, I'll say it again:

Wins by emotions before bowl:

11-12 wins :D:D:D - We're so good!
9-10 :D - We can compete with anyone!
7-8 :) - Excellent job, give Diaco a nice raise
5-6 ;) - We tried, but hey Diaco has potential, the team is motivated for next season as the players like him but the fanbase, is still scratching their heads
4-2 :( - We really suck.
1-0 :mad::mad::mad: - Just cancel the program, we peaked and we suck! (Just a filler comment, I'll still support this team)

If anything all I want to see is convincing wins (quite content with 5-8), to prove we can still compete, the running game back, and the throwing game improved with the defense tackling hard!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom