What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success? | The Boneyard

What's it going to take for you to consider this season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it a number of wins? Just forward progress? An uptick in recruiting? Progress as the season moves on?

Reaction Score
I hate to put a number on anything this year. I'm one of the guys who thinks this is a pretty significant task in front of Diaco. I just want to see competency between the lines. I want to see different body language from the players and coaches. I don't want veteran offensive linemen screaming as they come off the field, "WHY THE IS NOTHING WORKING?!?!?!?!" I want to see less air blocks.

I'm not expecting miracles. If we get to 6 wins and go bowling I will be absolutely ecstatic. If we don't, it's not the end of the world. We lost A LOT from a team that won 3 games last year. May be a good thing. Who really knows?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In before this thread derails...

More or less what you said. Forward progress, a couple more wins. Stamina to outlast the other team in the 4th quarter. Punch-in-the-mouth-ability.

I'm much less concerned with play calling than I am looking for evidence we have a strong foundation.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Is it a number of wins? Just forward progress? An uptick in recruiting? Progress as the season moves on?

A little bit of all of this. I'm not looking for more than 6 wins, but no less than 5 would be nice. In addition, I don't want to see UConn blown out vs either BYU or Boise St.

If these things happen, I think progress will be evident. Recruiting already looks to be taking care of itself.

Reaction Score
In reality a bowl. And not getting blown out in any losses. If we can be within striking distance in the 4th quarter of nearly all of our games I'll be happy. Mostly I just don't want to feel like we have no chance. That helpless feeling really sucks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's already a success. No PP/GDL.
lol, agreed although a Bowl game would sure feel great.

Reaction Score
In reality a bowl. And not getting blown out in any losses. If we can be within striking distance in the 4th quarter of nearly all of our games I'll be happy. Mostly I just don't want to feel like we have no chance. That helpless feeling really sucks.

I'm hopeful that what happens on Aug. 29 completely resets fan expectations, positively.

Competing for a league title and a post season appearance is without a doubt, the goal every year. That's what I'm looking for. Everything else mentioned so far are just steps on the way to those goals.

Competiting for league titles and post season appearances is something we developed and used to do on a regular basis yearly for the duration of a football season for the majority of our division 1A existence. There are only a couple of seasons where those goals were out the window in the early weeks/months of the season.

Those goals should be on the table again right now. It's just a matter of how long they stay there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I want the team to chase perfection in every aspect of the game, knowing full well they won't catch it. But within the process of that chase, I want the team to achieve greatness. - paraphrase of Vince Lombardi at his first team meeting with the Packers.

Reaction Score
Never seeing a summer camp picture like this again!

hc-uconn-football-media-day-pg-20120810-005.jpg

Reaction Score
A little bit of all of this. I'm not looking for more than 6 wins, but no less than 5 would be nice. In addition, I don't want to see UConn blown out vs either BYU or Boise St.

If these things happen, I think progress will be evident. Recruiting already looks to be taking care of itself.

Needs to be 6. It really does. Our fan base (outside of you fine folks here at the BY) aren't smart enough to distinguish between a 5-7 Diaco season and a 5-7 PP season.

Reaction Score
CTMike said:
In before this thread derails...

More or less what you said. Forward progress, a couple more wins. Stamina to outlast the other team in the 4th quarter. Punch-in-the-mouth-ability.

I'm much less concerned with play calling than I am looking for evidence we have a strong foundation.

I like your evidence of a strong foundation line a lot. I can't think of a better way to describe what I'm looking for than that.

I'd also take a bowl game if the opportunity presents itself!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
5 wins, 7 or less competitive losses. I want to see some underclassmen develop and get significant PT. I want the guys to play with the same fire in game 12 as they do at the start of game 1. Last item, I want to see a QB and a RB emerge as weapons.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
All the above. It's not about a number, it's about projecting themselves as excited, organized, disciplined and conditioned. In the game with head & heart. Most real fans can tell; we could certainly tell when it wasn't there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The other quote I like, and I hope the team appropriates for itself comes from a sister program. I believe it was Brianna Stewart who, during the Final 4, said something to the effect of:
"Coach isn't satisfied if we practice until we get it right. We practice until we can't get it wrong."

To me these two quotes should hang on the same wall as, but just below, Jazz's immortal words.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I want to be able to go to games, scream until my voice goes, and believe that we are going to win that game. Agree with all of the above: I want to see an energetic, well-conditioned and smart team that plays with heart and passion again. If they do that, the results will come at some point (and so will the fans).

Reaction Score
Bowl game; a running back breaking tackles like Terry Caulley against Indiana; 2-0 against those two new Texas schools - seemed like we barely showed up in those games last year; Fans in the stands at kick off (guy can dream can't he? :)

Reaction Score
shock the world!

or at least the American.

also a coaching staff that is able to make successful in game adjustments would be very refreshing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro