What Dawn could learn from Geno | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Dawn could learn from Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Then there was this unfortunate incident back in 2004 when Sally Bell was at the top of her game and CD still had a strong grip.....

View attachment 27668
Good stuff. FYI, Sally Bell was recently inducted into the Women’s Basketball HOF in Knoxville last February.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players. Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.

I am in agreement with you. I have a question. At age 47 (Dawn's age) and having just experienced what Dawn and her team experienced against Missouri, how would have Geno reacted? Like Dawn did? Or as he did after the UCF game?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He would have said IMHO that we didn't adjust to the refs, played substandard defense and were not patient on offense.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When I was in hs about halfway through the last century, there was an athlete in our school a year ahead of me who was the best hs althlete in CT at the time. largest school division. 1st team all state in baseball (pitch and outfield) basketball (point guard) and football (QB and DB). Great hs QB. Played baseball and football in college and AAA baseball and minor league football. He was sitting next to me, hardly knew him, during a JV hoops game before he had to dress for the varsity game. Everyone was woofing about horrible reffing. I’ll never forget him saying that he never got upset by officiating, only ruins your game and focus. Pretty sure he was only a junior then. Very mature. Ended up teaching hs phys ed.

Reaction Score
I thought UCF played physical and did stuff that I thought should have been called fouls, but I didn't think they played "dirty" or maliciously.
It seems like refs let some players get away with pushing and flat out running over people while calling fouls on players that use their hands. We seem to have more players that reach and get called for ticky-tack fouls.
I would like rule changes to keep games from resembling rugby matches. It is ugly and I think more fans would like a less "physical" game. Don't know how that would be done! :rolleyes:

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
True. But aren't the refs paid to provide a security blanket to prevent players from getting injured? This game got out of hand, IMO. Basketball wasn't intended to be all about banging. USF=beautiful basketball; UCF=ugly bb. The analogy to the bad old Rutgers' games applies.

Players getting lnocked down HARD on Layups is BAD basketball and injury prone !

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Dawn and Geno are good friends who have great respect for each other. Dawn worked as one of Geno’s assistants on USA WBB for a number of years, and Geno enthusiastically supported Dawn to take over as HC when he stepped down. Each year in Feb SC & UConn face each other in a “much watch” WBB game, that allows both teams to gauge exactly where they are heading into conference and NCAA tournaments.

This past week, SC lost in a physical game at MO in which NPOY candidate A’ja Wilson fouled out. Dawn was ejected from the game after her 2nd technical foul and she complained bitterly about the officiating afterwards. At the time, I suggested that Dawn’s response was not good for her or her team.

Fast forward to last night when UConn faced a physical challenge from a tough UCF team coached by an aggressive young coach. Add in the fact that the officials appeared to let the teams play for the most part, generally swallowing their whistles during much of the game. One BY’er suggested that the game was reminiscent of the battles with C. Viv’s Rutgers teams years ago.

At halftime, after a disappointing 32-19 effort during the 1st half, UConn did not come out of the locker room until there was only 23 seconds left before the start of the 2nd half. With no warmup at all, UConn proceeded to shoot 64% in the 2nd half, outscoring UCF 48-25.

In his postgame press conference, Geno’s directed his biting sarcasm at his team. His message was clear. Don’t expect the refs to bail you out just because the opposing team touched you when you were trying to make a shot.

There’s a larger message here, one that we all learned from our parents and try to pass on to our children. Life isn’t always fair. When life isn’t fair, are you going to complain and shrink from the challenge, or are you going to do something about it? In last night’s game, after what I am sure were some choice comments from their HC, UConn WBB, led by Gabby, Z & Kia, decided to do something about it.

Geno’s comments were on Sportscenter this morning. Hopefully, Dawn was watching.

Great post, thanks!

Reaction Score
I think the Rutgers analogy is pretty good. UCF were pretty physical and I think got away with few no calls that the refs were allowing the underdogs. But I think all in all they played a good game and their defense gave us a good challenge. Their one speedy guard was quite a player.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno may very well yell at the refs during a game and even get T’d up, although CD usually wrestles him back to the bench these days, but I don’t remember a game in a long time, if ever, when Geno met with reporters after the game and tore into the refs.
That's because there's a fine for coaches that criticize the refs.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That's because there's a fine for coaches that criticize the refs.
Just curious, has Dawn faced any repercussions from her actions during or after the Missouri game?

Reaction Score
Oldedude-You finally remembered Geno in his early years when CD & Jamelle would try to hold him back from the refs and he would get TD up and on two occasions as I remember he was ejected back in the 90's. Vowel Guy remembers !! Dawn is a young empetious Geno Bob Neal

Reaction Score
And Geno has lost his mind on many occasions in past years over the referee's, and in many a game without getting tee'd. I used to think that CD's primary on court job was running interference between Geno and the ref's. It just seems many a poster here are relatively new to The Boneyard and UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players

Yes, but remembering how Geno was is kinda like remembering how Stewie was as a freshman. Not relevant today.

As I said earlier, I love Dawn and she's a great choice to lead the national team. But once in that slot, Dawn doesn't have time anymore to look like the old Geno. She's NOW got the top slot; She's now on main stage.

I know she'll not only rise to the occasion, but do us proud as a nation!

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has Mellowed just like Dawn will. Many are new to the yard and UCONN !!
Mellowed like fine wine. But Dawn would do well to note that even beaujolais is better if you let it breathe just a bit.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
During the game, I went to look at the names of the 3 refs involved.

Three of the top refs in the league: Bryan Enterline, Dee Kantner, and Kevin Pethtel

We need a top notch crew to work the Mizzou/USC game on the 28th. Clips from that game have made the rounds in Columbia since Sunday. Our fans aren't even talking about UCONN yet or even much about Tennessee, it's about how dirty Mizzou played on Sunday. Other coaches in the SEC have made an issue of it, too.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A lot of posters here are under the impression that this is the first time somebody has complained about Mizzou’s physicality and SC is just whining because of a loss when that’s not the case at all. SC loss to ND most recently and Tenn and Duke last season, and while those losses hurt.. most fans never felt like our players were being hunted on the court. A few SEC coaches have been bothered by this for a few seasons now (which is why it was puzzling when Pingeton got SEC COY last season).. off the top of my head, I can recall Auburn’s coach referring to Mizzou as a “dirty team, dirty team”... and before that I remember both Nikki Fargas and Jimmy Dykes replying with a “no comment” when asked to describe Mizzou’s style of play. I’m sure there are other instances.

SC plays a physical brand of basketball just from how athletic our players are. They are big, quick and strong.. most of ‘em. Teams like Mizzou, that aren’t as big and strong usually go over the top to match what they lack in athleticism to make up for it with being overly physical.. and that will work for them with teams like SC where refs may deem it as little guys trying to play with big guys. The Stanford game last season in the NCAA tournament was one of the most physical games I’ve ever seen, but still, it never felt like the game was devolving into dirty and malicious play. Coaching makes all of the difference.

Still, with our style of play, we rarely if ever hear complaints from other coaches that SC was roughhousing on the court... Dawn believes in imposing will but she’s not in the business of sloppy and potentially dangerous play. Also, she understands appearances.. and with Don Imus lurking around every corner she’s not going to allow her teams to be perceived a certain way.

With all of that said, like another Gamecock poster recently replied.. I can respect that Mizzou outplayed SC, imposed their will and won that game.. but I don’t have to like them for it or how they did it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Cropped_front_transparent.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member