What Dawn could learn from Geno | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What Dawn could learn from Geno

Reaction Score
A lot of posters here are under the impression SC is just whining because of a loss when that’s not the case at all.

In a sense, this is a difficult thread because it nitpicks someone we all also love and respect, Dawn Staley.

We love what Dawn has done with South Carolina, which is raising the level of play in WBB, giving UCONN a real game each time (which is rare and wakes us up), and thereby, and maybe most importantly, hugely raises the look of NCAA WBB in the eyes of every BB fan in the world.

OldWiseDude started his first paragraph in this thread with that acknowledgement!

Additionally, SCGamecock, your own participation in the BY, hugely widened the scope and focus of our discussions here. Life-giving cross-pollination of ideas has been the result, from the first moment you wandered around.

So let's start, and end, with that foundation. Our known Universe.

And agree that we wish Dawn and the SC Gamecocks great success (as long as they let us win once in a while).

Never mind how much we all adore A'ja.

Just noticing here never to leave the game in the refs hands, is all. Not a big deal unless you want to win championships.

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players.

Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.

In the MID early years---Geno was Mr. T. ---Christine worked hard to keep the T's away. Seemed like every game CD stood between Geno and he REF's --holding GA back.

Nan was mostly right ---the Big EAST --was a FUN RIDE---I miss those crazy games with Harry P---his PG;s backing into the post---Doug B, Muff twice a year. Few games were "run of the mill"

Reaction Score
While this was certainly a very physical game, I don’t know that I would agree that it got out of hand. While there was a lot of hand checking, pushing, shoving and a couple of hard fouls, not all of which were called, I didn’t see anything that happened in last night’s game that was malicious or flagrant in nature.

This ain't nutin a Geno team has NOT seen before---Green bay comes to mind, Tulane too, Syracuse,
you will see this again and again--it always happens with UConns greatest teams---this kind of play took Stewie, as a Frosh, right out of WBB for 2 months her frosh year. Why are we surprised?? That which doesn't kill you toughens you up---ECU toughened up Uconn. Wasn't it great to have and AAC game with some melodrama??

Reaction Score
People need to chill on this topic. She got paid a lot for her job. If she needs help, she can pay for professional help. She will mellow as time goes by. What can she learn from Geno? Only one thing, wiser when growing older.

Reaction Score
For all the critics:
Should Dawn have had a discussion with the SEC director of officials , or is that too much as well ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A lot of posters here are under the impression that this is the first time somebody has complained about Mizzou’s physicality and SC is just whining because of a loss when that’s not the case at all.
upload_2018-1-11_14-53-48.jpeg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
For all the critics:
Should Dawn have had a discussion with the SEC director of officials , or is that too much as well ?

I'm pretty sure she did. It will be interesting when Mizzou comes to USC on the 28th. I wonder which crew will work that game?

Reaction Score
For all the critics:

Sorry... My wife bought me a 10-ft. pole and instructed me to use it!

Reaction Score
In the MID early years---Geno was Mr. T. ---Christine worked hard to keep the T's away. Seemed like every game CD stood between Geno and he REF's --holding GA back.

Nan was mostly right ---the Big EAST --was a FUN RIDE---I miss those crazy games with Harry P---his PG;s backing into the post---Doug B, Muff twice a year. Few games were "run of the mill"
Geno and CD arm wrestling to get to/keep away from refs was a normal experience. CD also great at blocking his comments from refs-there was not a lot of subtlety in how Geno used to address the refs.

Reaction Score
There IS a huge difference between Dawn and Geno.

All I can say is there's only one Geno!

And it's not just Dawn in the WBB Coach ensemble. And Dawn is not that bad on this next point:

Some Coaches take Geno's directness with his players and being extra tough. But they miss the system of surrounding support Geno has created for his developing players. Totally miss that part. And without that part, any coaches hardness on his players is just a bomb that destroys players rather than sand paper that forms and creates talent.

So many coaches yell at their players on court during televised game time just to show they are right and their players are the problem, sort of like shoveling blame to keep their jobs. Destroys teams.

This is exactly the reason we got the gift of Azura!
Don't forget the players in support, like Saniya having Stewie as a room-mate while at Uconn. Having someone to run your problems by, helps to keep things in perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom