What Dawn could learn from Geno | The Boneyard

What Dawn could learn from Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn and Geno are good friends who have great respect for each other. Dawn worked as one of Geno’s assistants on USA WBB for a number of years, and Geno enthusiastically supported Dawn to take over as HC when he stepped down. Each year in Feb SC & UConn face each other in a “much watch” WBB game, that allows both teams to gauge exactly where they are heading into conference and NCAA tournaments.

This past week, SC lost in a physical game at MO in which NPOY candidate A’ja Wilson fouled out. Dawn was ejected from the game after her 2nd technical foul and she complained bitterly about the officiating afterwards. At the time, I suggested that Dawn’s response was not good for her or her team.

Fast forward to last night when UConn faced a physical challenge from a tough UCF team coached by an aggressive young coach. Add in the fact that the officials appeared to let the teams play for the most part, generally swallowing their whistles during much of the game. One BY’er suggested that the game was reminiscent of the battles with C. Viv’s Rutgers teams years ago.

At halftime, after a disappointing 32-19 effort during the 1st half, UConn did not come out of the locker room until there was only 23 seconds left before the start of the 2nd half. With no warmup at all, UConn proceeded to shoot 64% in the 2nd half, outscoring UCF 48-25.

In his postgame press conference, Geno’s directed his biting sarcasm at his team. His message was clear. Don’t expect the refs to bail you out just because the opposing team touched you when you were trying to make a shot.

There’s a larger message here, one that we all learned from our parents and try to pass on to our children. Life isn’t always fair. When life isn’t fair, are you going to complain and shrink from the challenge, or are you going to do something about it? In last night’s game, after what I am sure were some choice comments from their HC, UConn WBB, led by Gabby, Z & Kia, decided to do something about it.

Geno’s comments were on Sportscenter this morning. Hopefully, Dawn was watching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dawn and Geno are good friends who have great respect for each other.

There IS a huge difference between Dawn and Geno.

All I can say is there's only one Geno!

And it's not just Dawn in the WBB Coach ensemble. And Dawn is not that bad on this next point:

Some Coaches take Geno's directness with his players and being extra tough. But they miss the system of surrounding support Geno has created for his developing players. Totally miss that part. And without that part, any coaches hardness on his players is just a bomb that destroys players rather than sand paper that forms and creates talent.

So many coaches yell at their players on court during televised game time just to show they are right and their players are the problem, sort of like shoveling blame to keep their jobs. Destroys teams.

This is exactly the reason we got the gift of Azura!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't get me started on the difference between Dawn and Geno.

All I can say is there's only one Geno!
Clearly Dawn and Geno are different people, but IMHO, they have a lot more in common than Geno and many other coaches. I would also point out that whenever Dawn talks about Geno, she displays a somewhat deferential reverence for someone who she views as a friend and mentor.

Reaction Score
I was going to post something similar last night listening to the post-game. Coach Staley thought the refs should consider her star player, while Geno told Lou to suck it up buttercup and for the team to stop playing like a bunch of girls (Geno's words per Crystal Dangerfield).

Reaction Score
Clearly Dawn and Geno have a lot more in common than Geno and many other coaches.

Agreed. Which is why Dawn is replacing him on the Nationals.

I love Dawn. She played and now coaches like a coiled rattlesnake, very tough to beat (or bite).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno told Lou to suck it up buttercup and for the team to stop playing like a bunch of girls (Geno's words per Crystal Dangerfield).

Loved Crystal Dangerfield's take on this! She's small, tough, compact, and her words are laconic and efficient.

Just like her play.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was going to post something similar last night listening to the post-game. Coach Staley thought the refs should consider her star player, while Geno told Lou to suck it up buttercup and for the team to stop playing like a bunch of girls (Geno's words per Crystal Dangerfield).
I just watched Danger's postgame interview. Love her comment about "playing like a bunch of girls and whining." Somebody should print that up in a 12" font and post it on the bulletin board in UConn's locker room

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players.

Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players.

Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.
Bingo. Although I pretty much agree with all the OP said, and definitely feel it wasn’t a good look for Dawn, the 2 game situations were entirely different. Dawn’s team was losing to a very good team through much of the game, and in the end they did actually lose. OTOH Geno’s team was getting the pace dictated by a far inferior team who could only hope to limit the score, had zero chance of pulling off an upset, and in the end lost by 36 - about exactly as predicted.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Did he really say "suck it up buttercup" or is that editorial license?

Reaction Score

And Geno made his point with real humor. Had me laughing, though I, too, thought the refs were being too hard on our players!

Reaction Score
So Dawn at ~15 years of coaching, should be expected to behave exactly the same as Geno at 30 years, not Geno of 15 years?

Not at all. Just generally, I would like to see more support for players while they're being sanded. Everywhere.

Not looking for clones of Geno. God forbid.

As you pointed out, Dawn only has 15 years to get this, so that's why I started mentioning it already.

Reaction Score
Did he really say "suck it up buttercup" or is that editorial license?
No he didn't say that verbatim, nor did he mention any names other than saying "a couple of our players," of which Lou was the most demonstrative.

Reaction Score
As Geno said last night, "Life isn't fair."

True. But aren't the refs paid to provide a security blanket to prevent players from getting injured? This game got out of hand, IMO. Basketball wasn't intended to be all about banging. USF=beautiful basketball; UCF=ugly bb. The analogy to the bad old Rutgers' games applies.

Reaction Score
True. But aren't the refs paid to provide a security blanket to prevent players from getting injured?

There is that. Definitely that.

Yeah, and remember Geno can't immediately control that issue.

But he can control how his team reacts, even when the refs stand silent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bingo. Although I pretty much agree with all the OP said, and definitely feel it wasn’t a good look for Dawn, the 2 game situations were entirely different. Dawn’s team was losing to a very good team through much of the game, and in the end they did actually lose. OTOH Geno’s team was getting the pace dictated by a far inferior team who could only hope to limit the score, had zero chance of pulling off an upset, and in the end lost by 36 - about exactly as predicted.
No doubt there’s a difference between winning and losing, but as others have pointed out, we didn’t see Geno complaining about the refs after the MS St game, or a few years earlier in the OT loss to Stanford or going back even further to the 2012-13 season after 3 close losses to ND and 1 to Baylor.

Geno may very well yell at the refs during a game and even get T’d up, although CD usually wrestles him back to the bench these days, but I don’t remember a game in a long time, if ever, when Geno met with reporters after the game and tore into the refs.

Reaction Score
Geno may very well yell at the refs during a game and even get T’d up, although CD usually wrestles him back to the bench these days, but I don’t remember a game in a long time, if ever, when Geno met with reporters after the game and tore into the refs.
I remember Geno getting suspended by the University for one game - around 1999-2000 - for telling reporters after a game, “That’s what you get when you mix bad players with bad refs.” BC maybe?

Reaction Score
I miss the days when, faced by physical play, a coach had a couple of enforcers on the bench who would be sent into the game specifically to commit some hard fouls. I've seen games where, when UConn's starters responded to toughness with toughness, suddenly the refs started blowing their whistles and UConn found itself in foul trouble.

So while I thought that Geno's postgame comments were the right thing to say by a coach to his team he should also see how his penchant for playing 6 players in big games makes his team vulnerable to this sort of gamesmanship. If I had been the coach the minute I saw what UCF was doing I would have used Camara to send a message, whether or not she "gets it" in practice. From my experience when only one team is playing tough and they are the underdogs the refs often look the other way, ala Louisville vs Baylor in 2013(?). And when the other team starts returning the toughness blow for blow the officials suddenly find their whistles. Last night UConn let UCF beat them up and because they were almighty UConn the refs allowed it. But if say Camara came in and knocked a couple of UCF players into the second row, the way the game was being called would have changed quickly.

Reaction Score
I feel like Dawn's demeanor on the bench is awful. I don't watch South Carolina all that much only when they play uconn or when they lose and I go back and watch the replay to see what happened. What I see when I do watch them is that when calls are not going their way she whines and pouts on the bench and her body language is awful. Star/experienced players shouldn't be fouling out though it happens and whining about ref's aren't gonna get you anywhere and it set's a bad example for your players. I like Geno's response. I do agree that there was lot's of physical play in UCF game last night but it goes with the sport.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True. But aren't the refs paid to provide a security blanket to prevent players from getting injured? This game got out of hand, IMO. Basketball wasn't intended to be all about banging. USF=beautiful basketball; UCF=ugly bb. The analogy to the bad old Rutgers' games applies.
While this was certainly a very physical game, I don’t know that I would agree that it got out of hand. While there was a lot of hand checking, pushing, shoving and a couple of hard fouls, not all of which were called, I didn’t see anything that happened in last night’s game that was malicious or flagrant in nature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom