What Dawn could learn from Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Dawn could learn from Geno

Reaction Score
While this was certainly a very physical game, I don’t know that I would agree that it got out of hand. While there was a lot of hand checking, pushing, shoving and a couple of hard fouls, not all of which were called, I didn’t see anything that happened in last night’s game that was malicious or flagrant in nature.

Think about it as setting a tone. If the refs indicate early on that they plan to penalize unnecessary contact, the game is more likely to be fairly contested (and, more importantly, no one is likely to get hurt). When the refs "let them play," it opens the door to abusive behavior. Everything is not measured in excess; consistent banging w/out penalty can be just as big a problem. Ask Lou how she feels this morning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember Geno getting suspended by the University for one game - around 1999-2000 - for telling reporters after a game, “That’s what you get when you mix bad players with bad refs.” BC maybe?
Thanks for the reference. I’m guessing that Geno was just about the same age Dawn is now.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I feel like Dawn's demeanor on the bench is awful. I don't watch South Carolina all that much only when they play uconn or when they lose and I go back and watch the replay to see what happened. What I see when I do watch them is that when calls are not going their way she whines and pouts on the bench and her body language is awful. Star/experienced players shouldn't be fouling out though it happens and whining about ref's aren't gonna get you anywhere and it set's a bad example for your players. I like Geno's response. I do agree that there was lot's of physical play in UCF game last night but it goes with the sport.
You perhaps have forgotten Geno in the good old days. The guy who thought he could control every little thing on the court. Age tempers everything.

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players.

Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.
You’re right. If that had been ND, he would’ve had a stroke

Reaction Score
I remember Geno getting suspended by the University for one game - around 1999-2000 - for telling reporters after a game, “That’s what you get when you mix bad players with bad refs.”

Just shows that Geno says what is needed in that moment to move his present team to the next level. That is the consistency, no?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would have welcomed a dash of Dawn in Geno last night in the first half. He could have delivered his complaints about calls or should I say none calls with more "enthusiasm". The zebras did a crap job last night.

Reaction Score
No doubt there’s a difference between winning and losing, but as others have pointed out, we didn’t see Geno complaining about the refs after the MS St game, or a few years earlier in the OT loss to Stanford or going back even further to the 2012-13 season after 3 close losses to ND and 1 to Baylor.

Geno may very well yell at the refs during a game and even get T’d up, although CD usually wrestles him back to the bench these days, but I don’t remember a game in a long time, if ever, when Geno met with reporters after the game and tore into the refs.
He could not have complained about aforementioned games as we all know he was worthy being assigned with the blame. He has not won any OT games since 2004. :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Oh geez I love all the short memories on this board. Geno has gotten technicals before, and fir the reason of protecting his players.

Geno could have a different reaction last night because his team was playing freaking UCF.
And Geno has lost his mind on many occasions in past years over the referee's, and in many a game without getting tee'd. I used to think that CD's primary on court job was running interference between Geno and the ref's. It just seems many a poster here are relatively new to The Boneyard and UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn’t suggest that there isn’t a basis for complaining about the refs. Some of the calls they missed were unbelievable. But as others have pointed out, the opportunity to send an important message to your players is more important than any gratification a coach might feel by complaining about the refs. That’s what Geno understood last night and hopefully what Dawn will learn in time.

Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn’t suggest that there isn’t a basis for complaining about the refs.

During the game, I went to look at the names of the 3 refs involved.

Three of the top refs in the league: Bryan Enterline, Dee Kantner, and Kevin Pethtel

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During the game, I went to look at the names of the 3 refs involved. Three of the top refs in the league.
Maybe the big ref was trying to help out UCF after he pancaked their player on the sideline. :oops:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Maybe the big ref was trying to help out UCF after he pancaked their player on the sideline. :oops:
LOL. But yeah, I'm one of those guys who never complains about the refs. I sound like a broken record, but your team should be good enough to overcome most any adversity, especially the refs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I miss the days when, faced by physical play, a coach had a couple of enforcers on the bench who would be sent into the game specifically to commit some hard fouls. I've seen games where, when UConn's starters responded to toughness with toughness, suddenly the refs started blowing their whistles and UConn found itself in foul trouble.

So while I thought that Geno's postgame comments were the right thing to say by a coach to his team he should also see how his penchant for playing 6 players in big games makes his team vulnerable to this sort of gamesmanship. If I had been the coach the minute I saw what UCF was doing I would have used Camara to send a message, whether or not she "gets it" in practice. From my experience when only one team is playing tough and they are the underdogs the refs often look the other way, ala Louisville vs Baylor in 2013(?). And when the other team starts returning the toughness blow for blow the officials suddenly find their whistles. Last night UConn let UCF beat them up and because they were almighty UConn the refs allowed it. But if say Camara came in and knocked a couple of UCF players into the second row, the way the game was being called would have changed quickly.

ala Louisville vs Baylor in 2013(?) Yes, I remember that game. They mauled Griner, the entire game. The refs swallowed their whistles, and looked the other way. :mad:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Am reminded of Nick Saban's comments after his team's CFB victory against Georgia:
"It is hard," Saban said. "We knew it would be a hard game. ... If you can't overcome hard, you're never going to have any great victories in your life."

Another way to say it..................."You can't have a testimony without a test"

Carnac

Reaction Score
LOL. But yeah, I'm one of those guys who never complains about the refs. I sound like a broken record, but your team should be good enough to overcome most any adversity, especially the refs.

Agreed.................as long as they're calling it the same way on BOTH ends of the court!!!! :oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s funny how your perceptions of a game can change when you watch it a second time. I just watched the game again, and I have to say that I didn’t see a lot of missed calls by the refs.

In the 1st half UCF just plain out-hustled UConn. UConn also committed a number of turnovers and missed an incredible number of open shots.

In the 2nd half, UConn took better care of the ball, shot the ball much better and, most importantly, matched UCF’s effort with Gabby, Kia, Z and the rest of the team stepping up their overall level of play.

In the entire game I saw only one clear cut no-call by the refs, at the end of the 3rd qtr, when Gabby forced a TO, that lead to a layup by Lou, where she was clearly fouled and should have been awarded an opportunity for a 3-pt play.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It’s funny how your perceptions of a game can change when you watch it a second time. I just watched the game again, and I have to say that I didn’t see a lot of missed calls by the refs.

In the 1st half UCF just plain out-hustled UConn. UConn also committed a number of turnovers and missed an incredible number of open shots.

In the 2nd half, UConn took better care of the ball, shot the ball much better and, most importantly, matched UCF’s effort with Gabby, Kia, Z and the rest of the team stepping up their overall level of play.

In the entire game I saw only one clear cut no-call by the refs, at the end of the 3rd qtr, when Gabby forced a TO, that lead to a layup by Lou, where she was clearly fouled and should have been awarded an opportunity for a 3-pt play.

Agrred!!! here's a comment I wrote a moment ago in another thread: "UCF gave UConn the kind of game they needed. The Golden Knights made the Huskies work, and play hard. They didn't come in and lie in a corner in a fetal position. Nay, they came out and competed hard and aggressively. They weren't there to kiss UConn's rings or anything else".

I wish more ACC teams would play UConn like this. THIS is the type of play needed from opponents that will aid UConn in preparing for post season play.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
And Geno has lost his mind on many occasions in past years over the referee's, and in many a game without getting tee'd. I used to think that CD's primary on court job was running interference between Geno and the ref's. It just seems many a poster here are relatively new to The Boneyard and UConn.
Geno certainly had his moments! I remember seeing him run over CD in a game. Knocked her down trying to scream at the refs.

Reaction Score
You perhaps have forgotten Geno in the good old days. The guy who thought he could control every little thing on the court. Age tempers everything.
Since I have only been following UConn BB for a few years now, I don't remember Geno back then.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Since I have only been following UConn BB for a few years now, I don't remember Geno back then.
Geno didn't get that arrogant a*****e moniker without reason. Seth Greenberg has told a story that when they used to play cards together back in the day he was an arrogant son of a gun even then.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Then there was this unfortunate incident back in 2004 when Sally Bell was at the top of her game and CD still had a strong grip.....

wardrobe_malf12.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom