West Virginia Has Already Sent $2.5 Million To The Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

West Virginia Has Already Sent $2.5 Million To The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having their replacements in in 2012 doesn't help us until 2014, when the replacements have played with the remaining core for two years. In 2012 and 2013, as I understand the rules, the only way we have 8 continuing members is for Syracuse, Pitt and the Scumineers to keep playing. That is the entire purpose of the 27 month rule that the Scumineers agreed to.

OK, I get that part now. I'm not sure if that is completely accurate though and feel like something could be worked out if we have new members comitted for next season. Especially members in the current BCS rankings like BYU and Boise St.

Reaction Score
I do understand. Do you not think we can get new teams added for next year? We just need to get all the money we can out of the teams that are leaving and help our new members with their exit fees so that they can come in for next season.
Even if they show up for next season, they will not have played with the remaining 5 for 2 consecutive years. It's important to get them next year so that when, in 2+ years, the others leave, we will still have 8 who have played together for 2 years.

Reaction Score
but I doubt you can force WVU to play in the BE next year.
I think there are a lot of people who are not understanding the ramifications of this. We don't necessarily want them around anymore than they want to be around. Same with Cuse and Pitt. However, the BE NEEDS them around to maintain the BCS bid. Conference members agreed to a deal that requires 27 month notice. If something can be negotiated to allow early exit and BE maintains the BCS bid then I am all for it.

Reaction Score
WVU is trying to play hardball and is hoping that the Big East will back down and agree to let them pay to leave so that they don't have to go through the long and expensive legal proceedings.

The Big East HAS TO keep them to the 27 month requirement because of the 2 year/8 team BCS requirment. If WVU does go forward with this threat....look for the Big East to add the Big 12 to the lawsuit. This is going to real ugly, real fast.

And remember Ken Starr at Baylor a couple of months ago complaining about the conferences raiding the Big 12? How can he justify this one?

I don't understand how WVU, or Neivas, thinks this will work. Unless the Big XII is going to get the other power conferences to grant the Big East a waiver, the Big East is holding a winning hand and has no ability to compromise.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well, you're 100% right on that what. Going "Ham" means what? (You never know what you'll learn on this board )

I guess zls gets his wish! lol

Going HAM "Hard as a M-Fer" after calling WVU scumbags.

At first, I didn't like they were leaving, but now that I realize the implications-they are being scumbags!

Reaction Score
OK, I get that part now. I'm not sure if that is completely accurate though and feel like something could be worked out if we have new members comitted for next season. Especially members in the current BCS rankings like BYU and Boise St.
I don't think so, as the rule was made in direct response to the last time the BE was raided.

Reaction Score
I don't think so, as the rule was made in direct response to the last time the BE was raided.

OK, but I've read something out there about there being a grace period so that conferences have a chance to get their numbers up if they do suffer defections. I was of the understanding that the 2 consecutive years rule for 8 members came into play during the next evaluation period in 2014.

Reaction Score
"Scumineers?"

Wow, guess the honeymoon's over. Now divorce papers are being filed.

Reaction Score
Of course you can force them to play. That is what specific enforcement is.

Oh -- and the Big XII will now be sued as well. They are tortiously intefering with the Big East's contract with WVU by offering WVU a Big XII spot during a period WVU is obligated to play for the Big EAst.

Papers should be filed by Monday. This is going to make a lot of my acquaintances a lot of money.

I'm sure you are right. Where is the league office for the Big 12 - as I suspected Irving Texas. Can you get a judge to enforce something before it's too late? What state juristiction? West Virginia? Texas? If so, good luck.

Just an opinion but I doubt the BE will be able to force WVU to comply with the 27 month rule through the court system. I hope I'm wrong. Of course that creates damages to the BE and the BE will win in court eventually.

My point was, it will be settled with cash. WVU is just being more brazen about it then Syracuse and Pitt.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with BL on this. My comment abotu forcing them out 12/31 was really meant in jest. Keep them here and start it on Monday.

Reaction Score
I guess zls gets his wish! lol

Going HAM "Hard as a M-Fer" after calling WVU scumbags.

At first, I didn't like they were leaving, but now that I realize the implications-they are being scumbags!

I like that. I'll use it with a younger guy at the office momentarily.

WVU, like Pitt, Syracuse, and us, has every right to leave. I respect them doing what they think they have to do. For any member, however, to want to ignore the rule they agreed to so one departing member couldn't take down the conference, however, is scummy. And to do it after Pitt and Syracuse reluctantly accepted they couldn't is beyond scummy.

I have great respect for the Mountaineer fans, and, as I have said recently, have been proud to have shared this football confernence with them. But for the school itself -- Scumineers is mild compared to what I'm feeling.

Reaction Score
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...cs-status-if-it-doesnt-lose-more-members.html

From the article:

– Nothing in the current Bowl Championship Series contracts stipulates a minimum number of charter members to retain automatic qualifying status. The contracts solely reference the AQ leagues by name. Obviously if there was ever a Big East football-basketball divorce, there would be quite a battle over the lucrative Big East name.
– NCAA rules state a conference must have at least eight Football Bowl Subdivision members to be recognized for governance purposes. Conferences must have at least six Division I members to compete for championships in all sports besides football at the FBS level. The NCAA gives conferences a two-year grace period to recover if it falls below minimum membership levels.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

I read the official rules on this a few weeks ago (I know...I need to get a life and get over this conference realignment stuff)...but when I read it, I believe it actually had a specific clause written in the rule which specifically states that no exceptions will be made to the 8 school/2 year rule.

I am guessing that the delay over WVU's B12 invitation the last couple of days was this 27 month delay. It looks like WVU was going to lose their invitation because of this 27 month requirement....so WVU did the only thing they could to get the invitation. However, it is not going to work. They can try all they want...but they will not be able to get out of the 27 month requirement.

This may backfire drastically for WVU. What are they going to do in 7 years when the B12 finally collapses and falls apart? They are burning quite a few bridges here.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you are right. Where is the league office for the Big 12 - as I suspected Irving Texas. Can you get a judge to enforce something before it's too late? What state juristiction? West Virginia? Texas? If so, good luck.

Just an opinion but I doubt the BE will be able to force WVU to comply with the 27 month rule through the court system. I hope I'm wrong. Of course that creates damages to the BE and the BE will win in court eventually.

My point was, it will be settled with cash. WVU is just being more brazen about it then Syracuse and Pitt.

I'm sure all members submitted to one jurisdiction somewhere, be it DE, RI or NY. Generally speaking, standard for an injunction or specific performance is a showing of irreperable harm (harm for which monetary damages won't be sufficient or determinable) and a likelihood of success on the merits. Honestly, I think it's an easy case. And if a federal judge tells them to do it, they're going to do it.

Might be time for another Op Ed piece, like I did in '03. (Of course, that was before I found the Boneyard to explain all this to everyone).

Reaction Score
I'm sure all members submitted to one jurisdiction somewhere, be it DE, RI or NY. Generally speaking, standard for an injunction or specific performance is a showing of irreperable harm (harm for which monetary damages won't be sufficient or determinable) or a likelihood of success on the merits. Honestly, I think it's an easy case. And if a federal judge tells them to do it, they're going to do it.

Might be time for another Op Ed piece, like I did in '03. (Of course, that was before I found the Boneyard to explain all this to everyone).
Sounds good. It will be cool to see WVU eat their words.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Step 1: DON'T CASH THE CHECK...I'M TALKING TO YOU, SETON HALL

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I used the going HAM line to a 30 year old friend two offices down. He gave me a look admiring my new street cred.

Thank you gentlemen.

Are you thirsty?

Reaction Score
Can we force em to change their name to the WVU Wannabees? I know that's just stupid, it's Friday.

Reaction Score
I think we'll be fine. The BCS bid is legally connected to the Big East Conference and the NCAA recognition of the conference is what is impacted by the 8 members for at least 2 consecutive seasons clause and there is a 2 year grace period to rebuild. The main concern here is that we have 8 members who have been playing together for at least 2 seasons when the next BCS evaluation takes place in 2014 so that we are still sanctioned as the Big East conference. If we don't get enough schools in here for next season then in 2014 we would not be able to be legally recognized as the Big East and our AQ bid would be lost. However, as long as we do have 8 members who have been playing together for 2 years by the end of the 2014 academic year we'll be all set. Stop worrying.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blow up the conference and be done with it. Go independent and look for a landing spot but get out of the Big East.

Reaction Score
Blow up the conference and be done with it. Go independent and look for a landing spot but get out of the Big East.

That would be the dumbest move we could make until it is beyond all doubt that the BE AQ status is gone.

Reaction Score
Will people stop with the independent thing? Seriously. It's not based in reality.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Just a thought....might WV be expecting to be playing in the Big 12 next season on the assumption (however strong it may be) that UConn and/or RU will also be leaving before the year is up?

At that point, Big East football is officially dead, and the BCS bid issue is moot.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Just a thought....might WV be expecting to be playing in the Big 12 next season on the assumption (however strong it may be) that UConn and/or RU will also be leaving before the year is up?

At that point, Big East football is officially dead, and the BCS bid issue is moot.

That thought has crossed my mind, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22