West Virginia Has Already Sent $2.5 Million To The Big East | The Boneyard

West Virginia Has Already Sent $2.5 Million To The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201110280041?page=2&build=cache

WVU Board of Governors chairman Drew Payne confirmed Friday the university will be out of the conference by next July.

"We've resigned as of June, 30, 2012, and we're accepted (in the Big 12) as of July 1, 2012," Payne said Friday afternoon.

"With everyone who's left and who wants to leave, it's not a viable football conference anymore," Payne said. "It's not what we were a part of as early as this year."

He said WVU and TCU were both just reacting to the situation with their decisions to join the Big 12.

Should the Big East avoid further implosion, it's likely attorneys for both the conference and university will negotiate some type of departure agreement.

Payne said the university would be sending an initial $2.5 million portion of that payment to the conference by the end of the day Friday. He said the second half of the fee would most likely be paid sometime before June 30.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Would this mean that there was an arrangement with the BCS to waive the 2 year/8 team minimum requirement?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is fcuking BS.

As awful as the $5M and 27 month waiting period was, at least there were SOME ramifications for leaving early.

I just feel like BE management will find a way to screw this up. I have absolutely no confidence in them whatsoever.

Disclaimer: Not saying they could have done anything to prevent this at the current time, but at least make them pay extra if they want to leave before the 27 month period.

Reaction Score
This isn't about Providence. This is about WVU, who has been a tremendous partner, deciding they want to be scumbags.

The Big EAst will be a viable football conference in 2012 and 2012 because Syracuse and Pitt (and WVU) are contractually required to play there. The fact that it may not be a viable conference afterwards is, frankly, a stupid argument for arguing you don't have to stay for 27 months.

WVU has elected to cheat, and say "sue us," rather than honor its obligations. It will be sued. I don't see how it thinks it will win, or why it should, but here we go.

Reaction Score
If WVU is taking this route, should we look for SU and Pitt to do the same?

Reaction Score
I don't care about any of them leaving early anymore, I care about them having to pay for it. I don't see how they won't end up paying a significant penalty for leaving early. As long as it's enough to help us get Boise St. and the others in here I'm 100% fine with it.

Reaction Score
How about WVU out on December 31st? No chance for BCS bowl. No basketball in the BE. Good luck!

Reaction Score
I could understand you not "getting it" back in 2003. But now? Come on guys get real. No one should want these teams hanging around any more than them wanting to stay. The BE is done. Did you hear Jurich's press conference? UL has been in talks with the B12 for "months". What has UCONN been doing other than reacting? Time to get proactive! It may be getting
too late though.

Reaction Score
UConnJim,
That would be my counter...and I'd refuse to schedule them for any Big East games after December 31. Essentially destroy their season.

Reaction Score
If WVU is taking this route, should we look for SU and Pitt to do the same?

It's possible, but they have already stated that they'd like to get out early but intend to honor their obligations. And the ACC has made clear they can't start until they've honored their obligations.

Reaction Score
I could understand you not "getting it" back in 2003. But now? Come on guys get real. No one should want these teams hanging around any more than them wanting to stay. The BE is done. Did you hear Jurich's press conference? UL has been in talks with the B12 for "months". What has UCONN been doing other than reacting? Time to get proactive! It may be getting
too late though.

Why can't these posts be deleted?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
too late though.

Honest question: Do you really get a kick out of coming to a UConn message board and antagonizing UConn fans with your schtick? If you do, that's fine. But just realize everyone sees right through what you're doing.

Reaction Score
I don't care about any of them leaving early anymore, I care about them having to pay for it. I don't see how they won't end up paying a significant penalty for leaving early. As long as it's enough to help us get Boise St. and the others in here I'm 100% fine with it.

You are missing one point. Under current BCS rules, at all times we need 8 teams that have played together for 2 years. It means, if three are leaving after 2013, we need three in next year so that we have two years with at least 8 continuing members at all times. Unless the BCS grants a waiver, any of the three schools leaving before 2013 disqualifies the Big East from a BCS bid.

Reaction Score
UConnJim,
That would be my counter...and I'd refuse to schedule them for any Big East games after December 31. Essentially destroy their season.

No. This will be settled by a judge. You want to be in court with clean hands when you're suing scumbags.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No. This will be settled by a judge. You want to be in court with clean hands when you're suing scumbags.

Damn, BL going HAM!

Everything needs to be done to have WVU honor their 27 month commitment. This isn't over yet.

That all being said, who is the plaintiff in this suit? The 5 remaining BE Football Schools? Or the Big East Football Conference in general?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Damn, BL going HAM!

The thought of BL, bless him, having no Earthly idea what this means, and you having to explain it, is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. It's great.

Reaction Score
too late though.

In fairness, I would not expect a "BC Guy" to get this. It takes a modicum of intellectual ability and some integrity to grasp this.

Reaction Score
This isn't about Providence. This is about WVU, who has been a tremendous partner, deciding they want to be scumbags.

The Big EAst will be a viable football conference in 2012 and 2012 because Syracuse and Pitt (and WVU) are contractually required to play there. The fact that it may not be a viable conference afterwards is, frankly, a stupid argument for arguing you don't have to stay for 27 months.

WVU has elected to cheat, and say "sue us," rather than honor its obligations. It will be sued. I don't see how it thinks it will win, or why it should, but here we go.
If I know my Texas businessmen, and I think I do, Texas is supporting this move. Big 12 will be paying up but I doubt you can force WVU to play in the BE next year. We could play tit for tat and cancel all WVU Big East BB games for "safety" reasons. Just another lawsuit to tack on.

Reaction Score
I will say it again. This whole process is going to end with some very ugly litigation and before all is over congressional hearings as well. There is simply too much at stake for parties left out in the cold to lose.

Reaction Score
You are missing one point. Under current BCS rules, at all times we need 8 teams that have played together for 2 years. It means, if three are leaving after 2013, we need three in next year so that we have two years with at least 8 continuing members at all times. Unless the BCS grants a waiver, any of the three schools leaving before 2013 disqualifies the Big East from a BCS bid.

I do understand. Do you not think we can get new teams added for next year? We just need to get all the money we can out of the teams that are leaving and help our new members with their exit fees so that they can come in for next season.

Reaction Score
The thought of BL, bless him, having no Earthly idea what this means, and you having to explain it, is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. It's great.

Well, you're 100% right on that what. Going "Ham" means what? (You never know what you'll learn on this board )

Reaction Score
I do understand. Do you not think we can get new teams added for next year? We just need to get all the money we can out of the teams that are leaving and help our new members with their exit fees so that they can come in for next season.

Having their replacements in in 2012 doesn't help us until 2014, when the replacements have played with the remaining core for two years. In 2012 and 2013, as I understand the rules, the only way we have 8 continuing members is for Syracuse, Pitt and the Scumineers to keep playing. That is the entire purpose of the 27 month rule that the Scumineers agreed to.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
WVU is trying to play hardball and is hoping that the Big East will back down and agree to let them pay to leave so that they don't have to go through the long and expensive legal proceedings.

The Big East HAS TO keep them to the 27 month requirement because of the 2 year/8 team BCS requirment. If WVU does go forward with this threat....look for the Big East to add the Big 12 to the lawsuit. This is going to real ugly, real fast.

And remember Ken Starr at Baylor a couple of months ago complaining about the conferences raiding the Big 12? How can he justify this one?

Reaction Score
If I know my Texas businessmen, and I think I do, Texas is supporting this move. Big 12 will be paying up but I doubt you can force WVU to play in the BE next year. We could play tit for tat and cancel all WVU Big East BB games for "safety" reasons. Just another lawsuit to tack on.

Of course you can force them to play. That is what specific enforcement is.

Oh -- and the Big XII will now be sued as well. They are tortiously intefering with the Big East's contract with WVU by offering WVU a Big XII spot during a period WVU is obligated to play for the Big EAst.

Papers should be filed by Monday. This is going to make a lot of my acquaintances a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom