Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well it's Freescooter and Nelson against the Boneyard. I'm glad I'm on the side that I am.

Replace "Warde Manuel" with "Barack Obama" in Nelson's last paragraph and the irony gets thicker than Nell Carter.

I was going to respond to him, but you nailed it.

I'm wondering who all these programs comparable to UConn that were knocking on his door looking to hire him as a head coach in 2012. Can anyone name one verifiable report of a top 10 (even top 100) basketball program looking to offer him a job?

When the Warde Manuel haters have to invent high demand for a guy with no head coaching experience they've already lost the debate.

Reaction Score
I was going to respond to him, but you nailed it.

I'm wondering who all these programs comparable to UConn that were knocking on his door looking to hire him as a head coach in 2012. Can anyone name one verifiable report of a top 10 (even top 100) basketball program looking to offer him a job?

When the Warde Manuel haters have to invent high demand for a guy with no head coaching experience they've already lost the debate.

I believe St. Peter's was looking for a coach in 2012. Thank God Warde's screw up didn't cost us KO bolting there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's interesting to note the dichotomy when everyone to a man admits that conference realignment is about football and demographic markets (i.e. eyes on TV screens / cable subscribers), that the first thing brought up when ranking on Warde Manuel is how he handled a basketball coaching transition.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the irony in all of freescooter's rambling about Warde being hired for one reason and one reason only?

Even if he were right, then he accomplished what he was hired for.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/05/three-national-champions-three-perfect-apr-scores/

"A total of 14 UConn teams earned a perfect 1000 APR score for the 2012-13 academic year – including men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s cross country, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s rowing, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, softball, men’s tennis, women’s tennis, men’s indoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field, and volleyball.

Five UConn teams had perfect 1000 four-year APR scores – men’s cross country, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s tennis, and men’s outdoor track and field, while 20 UConn teams scored 970 or better in that mark."
STOP USING FACTS!!! Freescooter has a source....A SOURCE!!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
STOP USING FACTS!!! Freescooter has a source....A SOURCE!!!
I'm not even disputing that APR was a large factor in WM coming here. But blaming him for not immediately fixing the MANY sins of administrations past is, well, stupid. And even more stupid is using arguments like "sunning on a beach" and "donuts" to prove the point.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
When the pro side of a debate consists of explaining why the screwups are not your guy's fault, you have already lost the debate.

How about when the con side of a debate consists of explaining why successes are not the guy in charge's fault, you are just being a douc7bag.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC wanted a football school. We were a football program with issues. And a basketball program with an unproven coach and on probation. Warde Manual could be giving out Rolexes and it's not going to make the ACC football schools imagine we're a football school anymore.

Your are right. We had absolutely no chance and it was obvious to everyone. So obvious that the consensus on the board was that the administration was quiet because our joining the ACC was a done deal and every talking head was convinced that we were in.... until we weren't. I'm not a fan of Warde bashing, but I think you are being a bit revisionist.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.

You have no clue. The ACC was taking Louisville no matter what because of what the power football schools wanted in the ACC.

He has moved UCONN forward but you don't see it, because of your blind hatred for him.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Oh my. The boneyard is all of a sudden Warde lovers. Yak. Nelsom is right, and Scooter, to an extent. This board was ready to run this fraud out on a rail and now it's a Love fest for him? WTF? This AD never wanted Ollie and is not proactive nor out front explaining where he wants to take us.
Stop dog piling on Scooter et al. You guys seem to just like to eat your own

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Complain complain complain. If Warde handed out $100 bills at every home game, some people on this board would complain that they didn't get $200.

I'm failing to see how being hired "because of APR" is necessarily a bad thing. The B1G has stated over and over again that they'd like to see some sort of emphasis made towards academics. They have been very vocal in supporting the PAC Commissioner's academic reform proposal. If the B1G is UCONN's dream conference, wouldn't an athletic department that is 1) successful and 2) achieves perfect APR scores be a good thing?? We lost an ACC seat to LCC because, in part, of APR. While I think that the APR is a ridiculous metric (especially now that we've learned that players from the 90s can change scores), if we're achieving excellence on the field AND in the classrooms, how is this a bad thing? Isn't this EXACTLY the kind of environment that the B1G Conference fosters?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
APR . He was not hired for that. EVERY AD should be about academia.
WM was hired as AD and promptly was on wrong end of JC succession, then was partying in VI when Louisville got the call. Justified or not - he was not out front lobbying for us. If he has been benind the scenes with CI I
applaud that, but doubt it nonetheless .
He is not the reason we are not in big ten or acc, but he will not get us there.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Well it's Freescooter and Nelson against the Boneyard. I'm glad I'm on the side that I am.

Replace "Warde Manuel" with "Barack Obama" in Nelson's last paragraph and the irony gets thicker than Nell Carter.

Doesn't anyone else see that Warde got some things right, but should have managed other things better?

All of the apologists and critics around here remind me how so much of the world sees black or white but is blind to gray...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Your are right. We had absolutely no chance and it was obvious to everyone. So obvious that the consensus on the board was that the administration was quiet because our joining the ACC was a done deal and every talking head was convinced that we were in.... until we weren't. I'm not a fan of Warde bashing, but I think you are being a bit revisionist.
Yes everyone was surprised to learn, at the 11th hour, that UConn never had a chance - we all thought the opposite. Doesn't change the fact that UConn never had a chance.

Reaction Score
You have no clue. The ACC was taking Louisville no matter what because of what the power football schools wanted in the ACC.

He has moved UCONN forward but you don't see it, because of your blind hatred for him.
I believe that it is perception. I don't believe that freescooter hates him. I don't hate him. When he was shown on TV in the Bahamas and in the immediately following week while we were all waiting for UConn's invite to the ACC, we find out that the Louisville AD snatched that invite out from under us. Regardless of the circumstances, the desire of the southern tier for Louisville, etc. the perception of that overall week is bad. Some people feel that UConn has been demoted. Some people feel that our AD could have been more aggressive. Whether he was or not is irrelevant to what is perception and what is real. Perception appears to be the overall problem for UConn. As you read various comments, a significant number of people don't realize the strength of UConn in academics, athletics. It is all perception. UConn was demoted while this guy is in power. That is the current perception by some people. He will be a big hero when UConn gets out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
RMoore1999 said:
Doesn't anyone else see that Warde got some things right, but should have managed other things better? All of the apologists and critics around here remind me how so much of the world sees black or white but is blind to gray...

Most of us see that. But when he is attacked with such vitriol it is hard to come off as anything but a defender.

Overall, I give him an incomplete. But trending in the right direction.

Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan said:
Yes everyone was surprised to learn, at the 11th hour, that UConn never had a chance - we all thought the opposite. Doesn't change the fact that UConn never had a chance.

This nails it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone else see that Warde got some things right, but should have managed other things better?

All of the apologists and critics around here remind me how so much of the world sees black or white but is blind to gray...

Yeah and Calhoun really did stick it to him. It was a tough spot for Warde. He needed to show he was running the athletic department.... but he didn't really play the Ollie contract well in hindsight. I don't think it impacted the Ville/ACC decision but if APR was really the driver... seems he should have been able to tease out that Ollie would deliver on that.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah and Calhoun really did stick it to him. It was a tough spot for Warde. He needed to show he was running the athletic department.... but he didn't really play the Ollie contract well in hindsight. I don't think it impacted the Ville/ACC decision but if APR was really the driver... seems he should have been able to tease out that Ollie would deliver on that.

If anything, Ollie should get the bulk of the credit for that playing out as well as it did. It was a real Hobson's choice for Warde there though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tom Jurich certainly acted like UConn had a chance. Pretending we never had a chance now is just spinning it. Maybe Warde could do nothing to change the outcome, but UConn was absolutely in the running.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What killed UCONN chances was what Hathaway did in hiring Paul Pasqualoni and putting UCONN growth back years after plateauing under FHCRE. So put the blame where it goes and that is with former AD Hathaway

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Tom Jurich certainly acted like UConn had a chance. Pretending we never had a chance now is just spinning it. Maybe Warde could do nothing to change the outcome, but UConn was absolutely in the running.

Jurich acted like Louisville had a chance and, as it turned out, they did. Maybe it's revisionist but my understanding is that UConn was close but never had a chance of getting to 75% between the southern football bloc and BC.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Jurich acted like Louisville had a chance and, as it turned out, they did. Maybe it's revisionist but my understanding is that UConn was close but never had a chance of getting to 75% between the southern football bloc and BC.
When people say "never had a chance" I perceive it as lumping us in with a UMass or Temple. We were the perceived front-runner, and for good reason. After choking down the Syracuse and Pitt swill, the football "powers" of the ACC made a stand.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:

Ollie turned out better than anyone would have thought. Nobody thought he would be this good this fast. Even his supporters.

If Warde had immediately inked him to a long term deal and he flopped people would have been after him for being an amateur and caving to the pressure.

My problem with most of the Warde bashing is that it starts with the premise that Warde sucks because we are in the AAC and then all of the other things he has done are used as evidence that he sucks, even if he does something right.

If you want to hate a guy hate a guy. But be rational about it. He didn't hire himself. And he is busting his ass trying to do right by UCONN. If he is that bad and needs to go it isn't on him. It is on his management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom