Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk... | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe D. just announced that Warde will be his guest on Wednesday's edition. Didn't say which timeslot. Sportstalk starts at 6:10 P.M. & runs until the Red Sox coverage picks up from St. Louis @ 7:15.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Freescooter needs to call in and ask why Warde thought burning Boyle's red shirt would sell more tickets.
And then offer anecdotal evidence that of all the 3 teenagers he talked to, none of them like the new logo so we should change it back. Then call back in 15 more times to make the same point.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
And then offer anecdotal evidence that of all the 3 teenagers he talked to, none of them like the new logo so we should change it back. Then call back in 15 more times to make the same point.

And explain why Ollie was a mistake.

Reaction Score
Who is going to be monitoring the heck out of stuff while he's on the radio? Oh yeah, he's a rock star so can monitor and do radio at the same time, just like he can monitor and swirl little umbrellas in drinks at the same time. Gosh we are sure lucky to have such a talent.

Reaction Score
Who is going to be monitoring the heck out of stuff while he's on the radio? Oh yeah, he's a rock star so can monitor and do radio at the same time, just like he can monitor and swirl little umbrellas in drinks at the same time. Gosh we are sure lucky to have such a talent.

I have to give you credit. The lengths that you go to rip WM considering what his record is in the short tenure he's been here is nothing short of astounding.

Reaction Score
I have to give you credit. The lengths that you go to rip WM considering what his record is in the short tenure he's been here is nothing short of astounding.
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.

Reaction Score
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.
This is usually where I am told to shut up!

Reaction Score
I know it sounds stupid, but aggressive sports apparel marketing and sales being successful is part of getting the university to a new level. It is shaking off it's Yankee Conference/Big East image plus looking better to other schools. It can even end up shaking up, or at least putting a dent in, Big Ten culture given how staunch they are about traditional appearances. We're looking and acting more and more like a powerful school. I still hate the new logo.

Reaction Score
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? I simply can't have this conversation with people who think that because WM wasn't politicking to get the ACC invite it cost us Ville's slot. The football schools wanted Ville. WM could've been giving Jimbo Fisher a foot massage and we still weren't getting in. getting played by Calhoun? This one is pure gold. Yeah, the new AD comes in and masterfully navigates the political waters going against a legend with 3 NC's and it works out beautifully. Only in your world was WM embarrassed. The alternative would be for WM to alienate and embarrass Calhoun. Is that your position? You'd rather have WM tell JC to off and hire Shaka Smart. You're a genius. It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. What? He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. LOL. More pure gold. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.

I'm loathe to respond, but I will anyway.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If we meet up some day I'd buy you a beer and chat but you are off the charts looney tunes crazy man.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Calhoun planned on being the head coach for the 2012-13 season until he had his bike accident. That's not speculation. That is fact.

Scooter wanted a full on coaching search 3 weeks before fall practice started. The contract could have been handled better, but no one could have handled any other aspect of that situation any better than Manuel did. Period.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think he was hired because he was credited with turning aroudn Buffalo's APR problems, well, I don't know what to tell you. this was from the press release UConn issued to announce his hiring: It came BEFORE any discussion about Buffalo's on-field performance. UConn didn't give a hoot whether he even knew how to spell "athletics." The hope was that the NCAA would believe they were bringing in a turnaround artist and would back down on the APR situation. That didn't happen, so we're stuck with the guy.
"From an academic standpoint, teams at Buffalo enjoyed incredible academic success. When Manuel arrived at UB, there were four programs – football, men’s basketball, wrestling, and baseball – that fell far below the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) cut score of 925. With a focused academic plan, all four teams posted a four-year APR rate above the cut score and at the end of 2009-10, 10 of UB’s 20 sports had scores of 975 or above."

Reaction Score
Calhoun planned on being the head coach for the 2012-13 season until he had his bike accident. That's not speculation. That is fact.

Scooter wanted a full on coaching search 3 weeks before fall practice started. The contract could have been handled better, but no one could have handled any other aspect of that situation any better than Manuel did. Period.
Hogwash! He planned on announcing his retirement the week before the season started so he could pick his replacement without any search. he said as much on a number of occasions, spoke a number of times about how he wanted to do what Dean did. I heard him say it twice myself. If he had come back for 2012-13, he'd have pulled exactly the same thing before the 2013-14 season. In either case, Manual would have been monitoring I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think he was hired because he was credited with turning aroudn Buffalo's APR problems, well, I don't know what to tell you. this was from the press release UConn issued to announce his hiring: It came BEFORE any discussion about Buffalo's on-field performance. UConn didn't give a hoot whether he even knew how to spell "athletics." The hope was that the NCAA would believe they were bringing in a turnaround artist and would back down on the APR situation. That didn't happen, so we're stuck with the guy.
"From an academic standpoint, teams at Buffalo enjoyed incredible academic success. When Manuel arrived at UB, there were four programs – football, men’s basketball, wrestling, and baseball – that fell far below the NCAA Academic Progress Rate (APR) cut score of 925. With a focused academic plan, all four teams posted a four-year APR rate above the cut score and at the end of 2009-10, 10 of UB’s 20 sports had scores of 975 or above."

Yeah we hired an AD only because we HOPED that the NCAA would allow the men's team to play in the tourney.

DO YOU REALIZE HOW NUTTY THAT IMPLICATION IS?

Reaction Score
Lets be real here. Right or wrong, there was absolutely nothing Manual could have done to get UConn into the ACC over Louisville. He could have offered them a billion dollars and FSU, Clemson and BC still would have shot the idea down. THe football powers in the conference wanted another "football" school and not a perceived "basketball" school to offset the additions in Syracuse and Pitt. Manual is the the best AD in recent memory at UConn and he's doing a lot to repair the damage caused by he who should not be named. Manual can't force an invitation, all he can do is improve the program, which in the eyes of pretty much everyone but freescooter, he has done quite well.

Reaction Score

With regard to Warde Manuel the tires on your scooter are flat!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
...getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season.
You said in post #16 that JC planned on announcing it the week before the season started. So how was WM supposed to know and avoid the situation? Should Wardstradamus have been able to see in the future? Unless JC says something there's no way for him to know.
I've got to agree with Jimmy Serrano on the ACC situation. FSU and Wake wanted Louisville for football and no foot rub or more was going to change that. Blame Hathaway and the state football coaches for getting FHCPP hired and for us being in the situation we were in when 'ville got selected.
I'll admit I like what WM has done so far. I thought he handled the KO situation as well as could be expected given he had little to no choice in the matter. Although he hasn't coached a game, diaco has done as much as a HC could do up tpo this point to try and turn around our football program. My assessment could change 3 games into the season, but I'm impressed with what I see so far. Hockey may take a bit given how long it seems to take recruits to arrive on campus, but on the surface Cavanaugh seems to be a great hire. To each his own, but you seem overly negative on him. I get the feeling that you would probably never give him credit for anything. Diaco could turn into a great coach and you'd probably make a blind squirrel comment or something similar.

Reaction Score
Warde is not my favorite character by far. He is a lightweight (no pun intended) and lacks the experience to bring this school to P5. An AD running a marginal program out of the hinterlands of Buffalo is not what I would call a "rockstar". While he inherited a mess from Hathaway, he did not show himself to be very adept during realignment . That said, his stock went way up after the Diaco hire.

Reaction Score
This is the same freescooter who has basically disappeared from the basketball board because his prognostications about Kevin Ollie turned out to be wildly incorrect.

Reaction Score
Warde is not my favorite character by far. He is a lightweight (no pun intended) and lacks the experience to bring this school to P5. An AD running a marginal program out of the hinterlands of Buffalo is not what I would call a "rockstar". While he inherited a mess from Hathaway, he did not show himself to be very adept during realignment . That said, his stock went way up after the Diaco hire.
I like Diaco. I like Cav. I like Ollie. Warde is a piece of work who was hired for one reason.

Reaction Score

I agree, WM was on the job for 6 months before UL got the call from the ACC. He should have done better. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom