Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the irony in all of freescooter's rambling about Warde being hired for one reason and one reason only?

Even if he were right, then he accomplished what he was hired for.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/05/three-national-champions-three-perfect-apr-scores/

"A total of 14 UConn teams earned a perfect 1000 APR score for the 2012-13 academic year – including men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s cross country, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s rowing, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, softball, men’s tennis, women’s tennis, men’s indoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field, and volleyball.

Five UConn teams had perfect 1000 four-year APR scores – men’s cross country, field hockey, men’s golf, women’s tennis, and men’s outdoor track and field, while 20 UConn teams scored 970 or better in that mark."

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You and lots of other posters said it would set us back years in recruiting. It didn't. But let's pretend it did.

Liar. Never even remotely posted that.

Don't lie about me. Just stick to complaining about Ollie AND that you don't want to go to football games because of the uniforms.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Thanks to all of you from CT for this informative thread. I got a nice summary of what Warde had to say on WTIC. Really enlightening. Too bad we couldn't have rehashed some old grudges and idiocy about Warde's performance and instead focused with such laser like precision on the radio show.
Well, if we had rehashed those old grudges, then there would have been sarcastic comments made in response. And I, for one, think we as a community are better than that. Let's rise above and enjoy an elevated, enlightened discourse based on calm reason and no made up evidence that supports our previously held beliefs.

Remember, no sarcasm.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I often wonder, and most times chuckle, about the conversations I envision various BYers would have if they were castaways on some inhospitable island far away from the Internet. Who should we invite to the island?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Did anyone listen and, if so, what did Warde say?

Reaction Score
I listened. He said he was extremely proud that both men's and women's basketball teams had 1000% APR or something like that especially after all the distractions of the last couple years. He said the Basketball teams are itching to get into the new practice facility which they will be able to do this fall. Said it frees up Gample scheduling and makes B-ball practice scheduling a hell of a lot easier and more conducive to their class work schedule. Is excited about the hockey team joining Hockey East. Visited the XL Center recently and was impressed with the renovations. As for the football team: Said he saw an uptick in speed and excitement from years past. As for the AAC he said UConn worries about UConn first but says that the conference did well last year with UCF winning their bowl game vs a Big 12 team and of course the dual National Championships in basketball. He said he had a discussion with the coaches and they agreed they are in the AAC so from what I gather they are all in to make the most of that opportunity and he thinks it's just a matter of letting the conference have time to rack up championships to gain respect. Got to admit the conference did well for their first year in existence. He also said he was concerned about Olympic sports travel and expense. Was glad Tulsa would be the farthest west they would have to travel.

Last edited:

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I listened. He said he was extremely proud that both men's and women's basketball teams had 1000% APR or something like that especially after all the distractions of the last couple years. He said the Basketball teams are itching to get into the new practice facility which they will be able to do this fall. Said it frees up Gample scheduling and makes B-ball practice scheduling a hell of a lot easier and more conducive to their class work schedule. Is excited about the hockey team joining Hockey East. Visited the XL Center recently and was impressed with the renovations. As for the football team: Said he saw an uptick in speed and excitement from years past.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.
Took an Athletic Department that was in the highest level and now isn't? Are you nut...you are either a friend, relative or former neighbor of that idiot former AD Jeff Hathaway who put us where we are today. If you can't admit we are where we are because of that a s s h a t then I don't know what to tell you!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I listened. He said he was extremely proud that both men's and women's basketball teams had 1000% APR or something like that especially after all the distractions of the last couple years. He said the Basketball teams are itching to get into the new practice facility which they will be able to do this fall. Said it frees up Gample scheduling and makes B-ball practice scheduling a hell of a lot easier and more conducive to their class work schedule. Is excited about the hockey team joining Hockey East. Visited the XL Center recently and was impressed with the renovations. As for the football team: Said he saw an uptick in speed and excitement from years past. As for the AAC he said UConn worries about UConn first but says that the conference did well last year with UCF winning their bowl game vs a Big 12 team and of course the dual National Championships in basketball. He said he had a discussion with the coaches and they agreed they are in the AAC so from what I gather they are all in to make the most of that opportunity and he thinks it's just a matter of letting the conference have time to rack up championships to gain respect. Got to admit the conference did well for their first year in existence. He also said he was concerned about Olympic sports travel and expense. Was glad Tulsa would be the farthest west they would have to travel.

Thanks weyuo. I wonder if UCONN will start scheduling more events at Gampel now that the Basketball facility is open. Maybe concerts? More hoops games at Gampel than XL Center?

Reaction Score
Also said that he hopes to sell out the lower bowl at the XL for Hockey East (@ 6000 seats) & that the initial reception was positive with ticket sales well on the way to attaining that goal

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also said that he hopes to sell out the lower bowl at the XL for Hockey East (@ 6000 seats) & that the initial reception was positive with ticket sales well on the way to attaining that goal

AWESOME! I will be buying season tickets too but have procrastinated for some reason.

Reaction Score
He deserves kudos for Diaco. He fell into Ollie under JC's demands and sat on the sat on the fence. He inherited the women's championship and Ollie proved to be magnificent. You can't take credit for the good them claim the bad is everybody else's fault. He bungled CR. True he was new on deck, but when you're the captain of the ship you take on the responsibility to save the ship.

I would be happy to see I'm succeed. My fear though is he is way out of his league on critical CR matters. As somebody said, P5 is all that matters or our days as a national program are dwindling fast. The programs cannot be supported with a few million a year in TV revenue.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
Haters gonna hate... YouTube Video
So based on the four AD's he challenged, we're going to replace umass in the Mac. I kid. I kid. But interesting that he picked two ACC AD's rather than multiple B1G. I know he's buddies with the BC AD, but what's the FSU connection? Trying to grease the wheels with the ACC's football power I suppose. Make him watch the video featuring 3 of the finest facilities in the country and our 3 national champs as well. Maybe I'm stretching but I think there was secret CR code in that video.

Reaction Score
What record is this? Like going off to the Bahamas while Louisville was eating his lunch? getting played by Calhoun? It worked out spectacularly well, but he still got embarrassed. he didn't know his head coach was retiring until a week before the start of the season. he's hired a couple of head coaches who might or might not turn out to be good in Diaco and Cavanaugh. One coached a season in transition and the other has yet to coach a game. Warde could not even acknowledge Geno's existence for the next 5 years, and Geno will continue to win championships. He took an athletic program that was in the highest level and now it isn't. And I'm not even getting into the logo stuff...or the laughable football helmets! He is here for APR reasons and APR reasons alone.
God, you're stupid.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with how articulate Knappe sounded when Joe D interviewed him. Didn't know his name was pronounced K-nap-ay. Pruitt was impressive as well and glad to hear he has become a great leader, hopefully Pruitt is this year's Ryan Wirth.

BTW anyone who thinks it's Warde's fault we aren't in a different conference is dumber than dirt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to work for some of you guys. Screw up and its not your fault. Someone else succeeds and you get the credit. What a perfect situation. I attribute some of it to the Hathaway effect, though. They could have installed a parking meter as AD and most people would have seen it as an improvement. Warde>parking meter>Hathaway.

Reaction Score
I'd love to work for some of you guys. Screw up and its not your fault. Someone else succeeds and you get the credit. What a perfect situation. I attribute some of it to the Hathaway effect, though. They could have installed a parking meter as AD and most people would have seen it as an improvement. Warde>parking meter>Hathaway.

I'd hate to have you work for me. Unable to understand complex problems with multiple variables. Every time the toilet clogs you probably blame the guy who invented indoor plumbing.

ACC wanted a football school. We were a football program with issues. And a basketball program with an unproven coach and on probation. Warde Manual could be giving out Rolexes and it's not going to make the ACC football schools imagine we're a football school anymore. But hey, I'm sure you'd do better, what with your impressive judgment about Kevin Ollie and all.

Reaction Score
You just gave about as good a definition of Jeff hathaway's tenure at UCONN as one can give. But then again I'm sure you thought he was the BEST AD in the country when he was here. I stand by what I posted eariler in this thread... you are either a family member, friend, or former neighbor of Hathaway!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I thought you stopped following football because you didn't like the uniforms?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, a new AD should allow a retiring coach to name his successor, a guy who didn't have a single day of head coaching experience, when the AD is the one who will be held accountable if it doesn't work out. Manuel handled it perfectly, he let Calhoun get his way, but on Manuel's terms, meaning he retained his onions as AD.

Ollie got an extension in December of his first season as head coach, before conference play even started. But don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

90% of (actually nearly all) coaches aren't Kevin Ollie, and don't get offered one of the top 10 jobs in college basketball without ever being a head coach at any level. 90% (actually more) wouldn't have had the 1 year try out, because they've got experience and a proven history. You think the ACC reacted negatively because our new AD wasn't bowing to a retiring head coach? Amazingly stupid. It was a football decision, pure and simple.

It's seriously funny to watch you complain that he was outsold by Jurich, after you complained we were trying too hard to get into the ACC.

You can argue he waited too long to hire P, you can also argue that he had to wait that long because he inherited the man the trustees (who can have him replaced tomorrow) obviously wanted in the job. There are still people in the loop that think P was the right man and just needed more time.

When you are the boss, your main job is to just get it right. By hedging on Ollie, Manuel was telling the country that he didn't have confidence in Ollie, which couldn't have helped us with the AAC in the fall of 2012. Warde could have given Ollie almost any deal he wanted in 2012 and Ollie would have signed it. By making Ollie sing for his supper, he invited other schools in to poach Ollie. We are incredibly lucky Ollie didn't bolt after getting treated like that. Pasqualoni was a train wreck in 2012 with good talent, it wasn't going to get better in 2013. Sure enough, it got worse. As for CR, Louisville is in the ACC and we are not. Scoreboard.

The Warde Manuel Apologists have to say "it wasn't his fault" by about the 3rd sentence of any post on him. When the pro side of a debate consists of explaining why the screwups are not your guy's fault, you have already lost the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom