Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Warde Manuel to be on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am hoping that BD will be successful for our FB program sake and my own sanity. BD is WM's biggest hire and I am also hoping that WM will be successful for UConn sake. UConn athletics cannot be successful if our FB program fails in the field. Serrano is probably right about WM's handling of the KO affair. I just feel a great amount of loyalty to that program, having been a fan for many years and 2 kids graduated from UConn. JC could be very prissy at times and have asked people to leave his practices.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How do you conduct a national search given the timing of JC's retirement?

Do you know what an impossible position Calhoun put him in? WM kept JC happy, kept his chops as AD, gave KO the contracts he deserved, and everything worked out. Criticizing him for his handling of the KO situation is just totally absurd.
If KO had gone out and lost a bunch of games that UConn shouldn't lose, or if the team's academics were not up to standard, WM would have begun a national search in about the same timeframe (middle or end of the season). JC would have probably thrown a fit in the papers, but IMO Herbst and the trustees would have supported this.

I would also like to hear from the Nelson's of the world their insider scoop on how UConn was the top choice for the ACC and what we could've done to seal that deal. I can't wait for the responses.
freescooter & Nelson's insider scoop was from the CT media echo chamber. But to be fair, everybody, and I mean everybody, including Louisville fans, bought into the consensus that UConn was already in. At least during the first week after Maryland left the ACC. It was only in the last 5 days or so that doubts crept in, likely once people got a sense FSU was going to lead a putsch against Tobacco Road.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If KO had gone out and lost a bunch of games that UConn shouldn't lose, or if the team's academics were not up to standard, WM would have begun a national search in about the same timeframe (middle or end of the season). JC would have probably thrown a fit in the papers, but IMO Herbst and the trustees would have supported this.

freescooter & Nelson's insider scoop was from the CT media echo chamber. But to be fair, everybody, and I mean everybody, including Louisville fans, bought into the consensus that UConn was already in. At least during the first week after Maryland left the ACC. It was only in the last 5 days or so that doubts crept in, likely once people got a sense FSU was going to lead a putsch against Tobacco Road.

Just shows how not connected the CT media is. As much as it pains me Toni Terzi got it right and he got it from a basketball referee if memory serves.

Reaction Score
The blame lies at the feet of Hathaway who just coasted.
Agree. And that coasted comment was what Susan Herbst could not tolerate. You'd better be working hard every day to make UConn a better place or you will be out the door. The early dismissals of Hathaway and the Provost sent a clear message. The sleepy time days of old are over. Rev the engines into overdrive--but make sure you have a clear map of the trip ahead. As my old boss used to say, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!"

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
If WM lets JC pick his successor who is held accountable if that hand picked successor doesn't pan out?

You would rather have had Warde (or any other newish AD from a MAC school) instead of JC select the new coach? Seriously, who do you consider more qualified to make that choice?

Relying on Calhoun's instinct and experience to identify the next coach and not allowing personal ego to override Calhoun's choice ranks near the top of the list of smart decisions Warde's made at UConn.

Reaction Score
You would rather have had Warde (or any other newish AD from a MAC school) instead of JC select the new coach? Seriously, who do you consider more qualified to make that choice? Relying on Calhoun's instinct and experience to identify the next coach and not allowing personal ego to override Calhoun's choice ranks near the top of the list of smart decisions Warde's made at UConn.

Correct, but it's also easy to understand the opposite analysis. Had Ollie flopped, it would have been just as likely to see a comment like this: " Right alongside his instinct and experience, Calhoun's ego was clearly in play as he identified a successor with no prior head coaching experience. Succumbing to the pressure of the former HOF coach, Warde never scoured the marketplace to find what was clearly a critical hire for the school. This ranks near the top of the list of dumb decisions Warde has ever made at UConn."

Reaction Score
I believe that it is perception. I don't believe that freescooter hates him. I don't hate him. When he was shown on TV in the Bahamas and in the immediately following week while we were all waiting for UConn's invite to the ACC, we find out that the Louisville AD snatched that invite out from under us. Regardless of the circumstances, the desire of the southern tier for Louisville, etc. the perception of that overall week is bad. Some people feel that UConn has been demoted. Some people feel that our AD could have been more aggressive. Whether he was or not is irrelevant to what is perception and what is real. Perception appears to be the overall problem for UConn. As you read various comments, a significant number of people don't realize the strength of UConn in academics, athletics. It is all perception. UConn was demoted while this guy is in power. That is the current perception by some people. He will be a big hero when UConn gets out of the AAC.

In the fairly immediate aftermath of the Louisville invitation, Jacobs wrote a column, citing information from sources, that pretty much summed-up attitudes and events prior to the decision being announced. For me, at least, it pretty much confirmed that UCONN never had a prayer.

Portions I sort of remember indicated that:

While the final vote on Louisville was unanimous, Jacobs indicated that UNC, UVA, Duke and Wake were UCONN supporters with VTech non-committal. Miami and BC were adamantly opposed with Flipper being his irrational self (to the point of later losing his gig) and Shalala refusing to even answer Susan's calls (we've heard the stories about a proposed using of some relationship JC had with Bill Clinton to get to Shalala). We also found out that PITT and CUSE, while not having a vote, were far from acting like friends. Very far, in fact. Most importantly, FSU and Clemson wanted a school perceived as being a football power; and, damn sure, didn't want a basketball school that was on a path to becoming a UNC/UVA clone. FSU and Clemson threw their collective weight around and, in the end, the Tobacco Road schools backed down. Never a prayer. Hell, our entire Congressional delegation could have voted to kill same-sex marriage and allow dispersal of 50-Caliber sniper rifles to every man, women and child. Wouldn't have moved the needle.

Jacobs also, if I remember correctly, noted that WM was in the Bahamas for one purpose only. He was entertaining Boosters; handling events that had long been scheduled. Given the wonderful job Hathaway had done with Booster relations, imagine what it would have looked like if WM had bailed on Boosters that were already "unsure."

To date, unless I've missed something, not one media account has blamed either SH or WM for Louisville. As we all know, UCONN does not deal with a "homer" media mentality. Nothing I remember from Jacob's or any other account provides a shred to indicate that WM or SH screwed the CR pooch. The indication has always been that both were a victim of lack of time to deal with circumstances they inherited. If there was a hint of blame, the State's media outlets would have blown it out of all proportion.

Finally, as it relates to KO and the way JC handled the "succession" issue. One of the best things WM has done since his arrival is standing up to JC. I say that feeling that JC is probably responsible for 80% of what UCONN has and will become. But, from the outside looking in, it seemed that JC was becoming a tyrant and bully stubbornly insisting on getting things his way. Sort of "I'm right when I'm wrong because of who I am." By standing up to JC, WM sent a message both to others at UCONN and the outside world, that JC was not running the school or the Athletic Department. Given the number of people that JC had pissed-off/trampled on, that had to happen. In the end, KO got the job and, as an indication that he harbors no hard feelings, has signed two separate extensions. There was no public, media fueled JC/WM nastiness, no tanks in the street. JC is still with UCONN, there's a new BB facility and everybody on the BB side seems happy. Finally, people with a hard-on for JC, that can hurt UCONN from the outside, have ceased hostilities.

So, why do some hate WM?

Reaction Score
You would rather have had Warde (or any other newish AD from a MAC school) instead of JC select the new coach? Seriously, who do you consider more qualified to make that choice?

I said nothing of the sort. I'm saying that WM handled the situation as well as you could've possibly expected him to given the impossible position that JC put him in. He kept JC happy and kept his professional credibility. And KO got his raises and everyone is happy.

Yet people still crap all over WM on his handling of it. Crazy.

Reaction Score
"So, why do some hate WM?"

Because he still possesses a gag reflex.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Duncan Idaho said:
"So, why do some hate WM?" Because he still possesses a gag reflex.

At least chapwilvaug uses gibberish when he is trying to make an incomprehensible point. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't hate him. I think he is way over his head. He got bailed out big time by Kevin Ollie, who wasn't his choice, and Geno and the field hockey coach both of whom are tops in their respective sportslong before Manuel arrived. There is evidence on both side as to whether UConn or Louisville was the first choice of the ACC, but what is absolutley clear is that Jurich was out lobbying on tv, radio, newspapers, any time anyone would listen, Louisville was there. He was on the phone to his allies in the ACC, and met with them. Warde was in the Bahamas. He may have had a bad hand, but I don't think he did anything to improve his hand either whereas Jurich did. Since then I think he's been what he's been. Done a poor job with scheduling for football. I could have scheduled Boise State and BYU, he probably lost Tennessee and he has added Indiana and Illinois and Army. He scheduled football and basketball games in competition with each other 2 consecutive years. The Germany trip was arguably ok. Last year against Maryland was disgraceful and essentially told the world that we accept second tier status. Duke at MSG you might do. Maryland in Brooklyn a big time AD says thanks but no thanks.

Look, I get that the Bahamas trip was about schmoozing donors. That is part of the AD's job. But sometimes you have to say, "Sorry I can't be there but something crucial has come up that requires my immediate attention. Assistant AD Smitty will be happy to meet with you, though and I'll be in touch later." Happens all the time in politics and business and people know it.

Reaction Score
One last point. there is only one place where the narrative that UConn was never in the game has taken root is in Connecticut. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but the dominant narrative outside the confines of Connecticut is that UConn was indeed "penciled in" to replace Maryland, but ultimately Jurich out maneuvered UConn and got Louisville in. If you buy that narrative, Warde did a bad job. If you buy the other narrative, that UConn never had a chance, then he just had a bad hand. I think he did a bad job, based on what I've heard and read. And I'd argue that the story line that has emerged in Connecticut was trumped up to cover his incompetence.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
One last point. there is only one place where the narrative that UConn was never in the game has taken root is in Connecticut. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but the dominant narrative outside the confines of Connecticut is that UConn was indeed "penciled in" to replace Maryland, but ultimately Jurich out maneuvered UConn and got Louisville in. If you buy that narrative, Warde did a bad job. If you buy the other narrative, that UConn never had a chance, then he just had a bad hand. I think he did a bad job, based on what I've heard and read. And I'd argue that the story line that has emerged in Connecticut was trumped up to cover his incompetence.

Probably depends on who you ask. I'm certain that if you talked to FSU/Clemson/Miami/BC they wouldn't have argued we were pencilled in. The road is littered with people that were counting on things that were pencilled in that never came to fruition. Usually that means they had bad data and/or were talking to people without the means to actually make decisions.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I know a guy, who knew a guy who knew a booster who was allegedly in the Bahamas with Warde. He asked Warde why he was in the Bahamas and not back in the US securing a spot in the ACC. According to MY source Warde responded while eating a Donut and said it was a slam dunk, no need to worry. So, there you have it, yet another credible independent source backing up world be free.

Reaction Score
Oh, I think the inference was pretty clear. Though, it is a tough thought to swallow.
CR, JC/Ollie, Geno's extension...

The narrative of CR outside Connecticut came from Jurich. Some people do not entertain the possibility that the situation was embellished for some self serving purpose.

Reaction Score

The reason media "outsiders" and even our own in-State outlets had UCONN penciled-in is because, to any reasonable being, UCONN looked like the most reasonable, sensible, rational fit. Those with the pencils saw UCONN as a whole product and figured "slam dunk." We, they, them; the people with the pencils, were wrong.

As an aside,I can say in all honesty (and my wife will back me up), that my reaction to hearing of Louisville's candidacy was to tell my wife that, "UCONN is about to get kicked in the nuts, again." Her reaction, since she had no idea what I was talking about, was to inform me that something referred to as "Alma Mater" has alternative plumbing. The only reason I include that is that normally I would have laughed. I didn't.

Freescooter, "incompetence" is a really strong word. You base you're feeling on things you've "heard and read." Care to share?

Those who feel differently have provided the contents of, at least, one Column citing evidence that UCONN was dealing with a stacked deck. The writer cited, Jeff Jacobs, comes equipped with a UCONN voodoo doll and big jar of long needles. Other writers/columnists in CT come similarly equipped. UCONN athletics never gets the benefit of any doubt. Now, all of a sudden, our illustrious State media is using "spin" as cover for WM? Based on your more rational, non-WM related "posts," you're smarter than that. In fact, I now think your just f'kg with us.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
fs basing his feelings on things he's "heard and read"... on the boneyard, or in his imagination.

And again, I reiterate that it wasn't just the CT horde that was penciling in UConn based on (reasonable, but wrong) guesswork, it was ACC reporters and bloggers, even national sports reporters and bloggers. The reasonable but wrong guesswork amplified in a vacuum, without any evidence (at least in the media) to counter it, until FSU and their cohort put their cards on the table.

There is evidence on both side as to whether UConn or Louisville was the first choice of the ACC, but what is absolutley clear is that Jurich was out lobbying on tv, radio, newspapers, any time anyone would listen, Louisville was there. He was on the phone to his allies in the ACC, and met with them. Warde was in the Bahamas.

Yes... for the 42,342nd time, Warde was in the Bahamas... meeting with an ACC AD. UConn had some allies, Louisville had allies, but Louisville had better allies and fewer enemies.

Anyway, the above quote illustrates pretty well that folks like freescooter base their opinion on Jurich's publicity tour, because that's the only thing we can see publicly. It doesn't enter into their mind that what happened behind the closed doors of the ACC offices is where the actual decision is made. Or for that matter, that the Bahamas has cell phone service. Of course whenever Herbst or Manuel do make a public statement about UConn's goals, either long term to compete with the best or short term to help improve the AAC, they get blasted for looking desperate and/or complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom