Walker and Westbrook | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Walker and Westbrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
LOL.

This answer is exactly why I hope she goes to Notre Dame, SC or Tennessee and becomes a pain in UCONN's arse for a few years. :cool:
I actually would be perfectly fine with her going to Notre Dame since it seems Muffet is one of the few who can coach her team up to compete and her players get better over 4 years as well as are prepared when they are headed for the WNBA or playing overseas. South Carolina, I'm not really sure what they are doing just yet but it wouldn't bother me for her to go there. As for Tennessee I'm fairly certain you can send all the best guards in the country there and they still wouldn't be able to beat UConn if they ever did get the chance to play each other again.

It's not all about who you get its also about what you get out of them. A lot of kids leave college the same player they came in as, no new skills, no better shooting percentage, same endurance & fitness level as high school. I truly enjoy watching a kid come into UConn #1 and leave #1 (also with a few rings, some hardware in a case on campus, and maybe even with an xx-0 record thrown in there somewhere). I'm not sure she is going to be pain to anyone anywhere... but I can't wait to find out.

Reaction Score
OF COURSE, coaches are going to say "Come here and beat UConn"? What else are they going to say? "We'll roll over and die to UConn but you'll get a great education!"

I just think it is pointless to use the "how is that working out for you?" line on players who chose their school based on other criteria than simply who gives them the best chance to win a national title. The "message board narrative" assumes it is always about going to UConn (to win a national title) or going to another school (to beat UConn). In reality, many things go into a college decision and expected team success is just one of them

Coco mentioned Cox. Cox said that the "biggest factor that put Baylor over the top" was its proximity to home. Well, Waco is going to be 120 miles from Flower Mound regardless of whether she wins a national championship or not.

Who is saying that it is unfair or accusing UConn of underhanded tactics? Someone in this thread?

There is a cadre of wbb fans who have been saying that for over a decade. No one in this thread.

My point is this:

If you want to be a diplomat you want to go to Georgetown. If you want to be a Wall St banker you look at Duke and Notre Dame. And if you want a career in basketball you look at UConn. And it's more than just winning a title. Several times a year I read a quote from some WNBA coach saying that UConn grads are way ahead of those from other schools in terms of preparation for the pros. Yeah, UConn recruits a lot of elite talent. But they do more with the talent they get than any other D1 school.

And yes, there are a lot of reasons for picking a school. But if you are an elite BB player looking ahead to a possible pro career then it is as crazy to reject a UConn scholarship as it is for an aspiring California lawyer or politician to decline a Stanford education over, say, one from Long Beach St.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"I think everybody wants to beat UConn, of course," she said. "I think it is important that people come out and try to challenge them, because they've been on top for a very, very long time."

Kiah Gillespie

Why 5-star forward Kiah Gillespie picked Maryland

But also - "I chose Maryland because it's a great coaching staff and a really good program that's built on tradition," Gillespie said at the team's media day Tuesday. "They have great support, a great educational program, and I feel that they have a lot of tools that's going to help me be successful later on in my life."

additionally - "UConn hadn't offered Gillespie a scholarship at the time she committed to Maryland"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But also - "I chose Maryland because it's a great coaching staff and a really good program that's built on tradition," Gillespie said at the team's media day Tuesday. "They have great support, a great educational program, and I feel that they have a lot of tools that's going to help me be successful later on in my life."

additionally - "UConn hadn't offered Gillespie a scholarship at the time she committed to Maryland"

Exactly. So there is more than one reason why a recruit will pick a school. Among the "other" reason is an opportunity to Beat UCONN. From your own back yard:

I wanted my own destiny, my own story,” said Loyd, currently playing overseas for Galatasaray M.P. Istanbul in Turkey. “I’ll never forget when I was going through the (recruiting) process, Geno wrote me a handwritten letter saying how he was excited to coach against me and he wished me the best of luck. …

Will there finally be parity in women's basketball after this UConn run?
Do you think Jewell is talking about beating UCONN here? I sure do because right above that Chinney says the reason Jewell chose ND was to be close to home.
So is your theory is that the coaches pitch the message and all the recruits ignore it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom