Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I might earn some dislikes with this post, but I want to give a big shout out to the referees. No controversial calls and for the most part they were seen but not heard. I don’t know if this applies to the entire ref team, but Maj Forsberg refereed at least four games in four days including two different conference championships and earned boku frequent flier miles doing it.
I had only one problem with the reffing, the undercutting of AE should have been an intentional foul with 2 shots and the ball. That was not a block out.

Reaction Score
"There was this perception early on at one point that without Paige we're not very good. An ex-coach who don't know about anything said that recently. I think we proved her wrong" - Geno Auriemma
Was he talking about Muffet? Or was it an ESPN analyst?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"There was this perception early on at one point that without Paige we're not very good. An ex-coach who don't know about anything said that recently. I think we proved her wrong" - Geno Auriemma
Was he talking about Muffet? Or was it an ESPN analyst?
I do seem to recall MM saying something like that. If he meant an Analyst, he would say that word. Cant wait to see this quote visually.

Here is Geno's requisite Paige Zinger at the end of this clip about how much work she needs to do and Paige being Paige, we know how cooperative she will be. :p

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • This was a tough game tonight against a good Villanova team. Two teams grinding it out in the half court. To paraphrase the Hanson Brothers, “OLD TIME BASKETBALL!!!” :)
  • What a great team effort by the Huskies!!! I’m guessing tonight’s 30 -point beat down of the Wildcats made it abundantly clear that their game on February 9 against a woefully shorthanded UConn team was a fluke.
  • Villanova really struggles with full court pressure. The first time around against UConn and yesterday against SH, the Wildcats stumbled against the press during the 4th qtr. Tonight Nova got to deal with pressure from the opening tip and it didn’t go very well.
  • Paige had done a little of this and that in her first 4 games back. Tonight, when she entered the game, it was really good to see her take control of the offense and start directing her teammates all over the court.
  • There was a play when Evina went coast to coast for a layup in the 4th qtr, followed by Aaliyah stealing the ball from Siegrist and going in for a layup. During that sequence, many of Nova's players were dragging around the court, clearly out of gas from the relentless pressure they faced from UConn's 9-player rotation.
  • Somebody needs to tell Tim Fudd to get with the program when they play YMCA on the PA system. ;)
  • Aaliyah makes some absolutely incredible plays as well as a number of head scratchers. I will die on this hill....Aaliyah is going to be a great player at UConn.
  • UConn has taken care of their business by wrapping up their 20th BE championship convincingly. Now, it’s time to sit back and hope that the Selection Committee finds a justification to put the Huskies in the Bridgeport Region.
When I think of Aliyah Edwards...I see Ashja Jones

Reaction Score
I do seem to recall MM saying something like that. If he meant an Analyst, he would say that word. Cant wait to see this quote visually.

Here is Geno's requisite Paige Zinger at the end of this clip about how much work she needs to do and Paige being Paige, we know how cooperative she will be. :p

Here is Geno's quote about the ex- coach:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last 5 games have been against 3 bad teams, 1 WNIT team, and 1 bubble team. Hard to gauge
These games occurred while bringing back one player from a groin injury, one from a non-concussion concussion, one from potentially season-ending knee surgery and another too banged up to practice much at all. Not to mention Azzi still not 100%; Edwards and Westbrook continuing to find themselves again.

As I've said before: I like the trajectory.

Right now this is overall the fourth best team in the country and one of the top two defenses (in my personal perfect rating system) and improving every moment. Two more weeks? I'm looking forward to it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I stand by my opinion that we have the best defense in the country right now. All players are working hard and switching and helping. All players gave their all and shared the ball and it was great to see after a tough year. Woooozer!!!!!!
The amount of points UConn has allowed in the last 5 games should prove your point. Marque the had 51 yesterday. The 4 games prior to that, UConn held their opponents to 38 or less. Who does that? :eek:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jonathan giving Liv a talk pre-game:
1646715545789.png

“No, I’m completely serious Olivia. I don’t want Siegrist to score a point.”

Reaction Score
I think Paige is not really used to all the movement from her teammates. Before her injury, there was so much standing around during offensive sets. Over the last 10 games or so, we are really moving so well without the ball. Especially Azzi and Caroline.
That’s just silly. Paige is a ball player who likes to pass. Team movement is good. Like HER coach said. It’s mental.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn is still a player down, and yet they still beat Villanova by 30!! Aubrey is an important piece of the chess board!! The Player of the Year last year ISN'T 100% , and playing limited minutes. I tell you what UConn have that other Teams DON'T....UConn have the DYNAMIC DUO, Coaches Geno Auriemma and Chris "CD" Dailey!!!!

Reaction Score
who's counting
We're all counting. You look at hoops history of all types and levels and it really doesn't track perfectly as a predictor, but we're all counting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom