Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
and just think.....they have the number one recruiting class in the nation coming in next year..perhaps they will succeed despite the coaching

The ranking is meaningless if the players do not progress and develop/ expand their game. Not going to happen at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
j66kicker...No personal argument here were both fans, just a difference of opinion. :) If one player is causing Holly to not have control of the team no matter how good then Holly is the one that should move on. In basketball there is a cure for cancerous type players known as THE BENCH. ;)
It does not take a medical degree to administer it but a good amount of what it takes to be a good D1 basketball head coach is required! No long disclaimer needed!
Agree. Out of respect for stwainfan I was trying not to trash DD and Holly all at once. But you nailed it. Maybe Holly should go to the WNBA too. Would be a pay cut but, let's face it - she deserves it :confused:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame game. Doris Burke said this about Diamond DeShields. "She is unquestionably one of the most talented players in the country. Her mid range game is outstanding."
upload_2017-1-24_0-37-46.jpeg

Reaction Score
and just think.....they have the number one recruiting class in the nation coming in next year..perhaps they will succeed despite the coaching
If you are speaking of Tenn Vols---I have my doubts they shall have great success next year--with Uconn's incoming kids and the hoards of talent already with experience. If you were speaking of UConn--I'd say you are correct--except for "despite the coaching" .
If teams could be extremely successful without better than good coaching--I'd like to know when that
happened. I couldn't say Great coaching--because in my opinion there are only 2 or 3 that may qualify, at this point--this year of coaching, for that title and only ONE super great.

Reaction Score
If you are speaking of Tenn Vols---I have my doubts they shall have great success next year--with Uconn's incoming kids and the hoards of talent already with experience. If you were speaking of UConn--I'd say you are correct--except for "despite the coaching" .
If teams could be extremely successful without better than good coaching--I'd like to know when that
happened. I couldn't say Great coaching--because in my opinion there are only 2 or 3 that may qualify, at this point--this year of coaching, for that title and only ONE super great.

Vols

Reaction Score
Vols
The questions was" Which team can be EXTREMELY successful with out a good to better coach.
You say the VOLs? Apparently you are referring to the Pat Summit years --and saying she was not
good to better Coach? Or your definition of Extremely successful --does not mean arriving at the Final 4 or NC.
I'm not following the SEC--so i have no Idea of how many SEC titles in the past years since Pats passing
the Vols have won--how many Elite 8's they attended--I guess if one is not a Uconn fan --that is a measure of great success--depend on the definition. No insult intended--just trying to decipher you comment.

Reaction Score
The questions was" Which team can be EXTREMELY successful with out a good to better coach.
You say the VOLs? Apparently you are referring to the Pat Summit years --and saying she was not
good to better Coach? Or your definition of Extremely successful --does not mean arriving at the Final 4 or NC.
I'm not following the SEC--so i have no Idea of how many SEC titles in the past years since Pats passing
the Vols have won--how many Elite 8's they attended--I guess if one is not a Uconn fan --that is a measure of great success--depend on the definition. No insult intended--just trying to decipher you comment.

actually I was making a small, slightly snarky comment that maybe this next group of highly ranked recruits could succeed at Tennessee despite the lousy coaching they will be getting.........

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
actually I was making a small, slightly snarky comment that maybe this next group of highly ranked recruits could succeed at Tennessee despite the lousy coaching they will be getting....

Maybe but my guess is probably not unless one of the new recruits has an absolutely impeachable work ethic and more leadership skills than most freshmen exhibit.

We talk a lot of about the culture of UConn WBB. It's very positive and something we are proud of. But we should remember that there are other cultures that become entrenched, and sadly, I think a negative culture has been at place long enough in Knoxville that it will be difficult to change in the next year or two. (Might be quicker if Diamond foregoes her senior year and heads to the WNBA. Great skills but as others have said, somewhat cancerous as far as team unity.)

Reaction Score
DD is not a cancer. I think that's a bit unfair for a college kid to be labeled that way. She is a critical part of any deep run in March. When she is on, she is one of the best. Period. However, she is just very up and down. Kinda like Simmons was at TN. We either did great when she was hot or we did not when she was cold. That being said, we have offense coming from multiple players. Both Nared and Russell can put up 20 points any given night. The real question is what other players will step up....like Middleton, Jackson, Reynolds, etc. We need at least 4 players doing great things at all times to beat the top teams.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Is DD the coach--?? Who is running that row boat? DD is a cancer? Why wait for the WnBA/?
Boot her from the program if she is that disruptive as --cancer? The coach has that power.
Can you see that happening (for very long) with Geno//?/

This is flat out hatred. You're not in that locker room and you have no clue, so why spew this nonsense? Diamond is adored by her teammates and staff. She has developed into quite the team player.

Reaction Score
actually I was making a small, slightly snarky comment that maybe this next group of highly ranked recruits could succeed at Tennessee despite the lousy coaching they will be getting....
Pardon the hell out of ME!! In some subjects, I' dense!

Reaction Score
This is flat out hatred. You're not in that locker room and you have no clue, so why spew this nonsense? Diamond is adored by her teammates and staff. She has developed into quite the team player.
You are correct---every time I see ORANGE===I punch an upright! And when I see Diamonds--I just throw them in the trash.
But when I see a dedicated WBB player--I respect her.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
DD is not a cancer. I think that's a bit unfair for a college kid to be labeled that way. She is a critical part of any deep run in March. When she is on, she is one of the best. Period. However, she is just very up and down. Kinda like Simmons was at TN. We either did great when she was hot or we did not when she was cold. That being said, we have offense coming from multiple players. Both Nared and Russell can put up 20 points any given night. The real question is what other players will step up....like Middleton, Jackson, Reynolds, etc. We need at least 4 players doing great things at all times to beat the top teams.

I know cancerous is a strong term and I really don't like using it when referring to a college player but I'm not sure I have a better word.

I am very respectful of Diamond's skills. You're absolutely right - when she is on, she is top notch, one of the best out there. But that's the problem - even taking into acocunt the challenges she's had with her injuries (which, by the way, I give her a lot of credit for not using them as an excuse when things haven't gone well), she just seems incredibly moody and is too often not on her game.

Sometimes she plays with enthusiasm and a joy, other times she seems disdainful and gives to me the appearance she wishes she could be anywhere else but on the court. If this is accurate, wouldn't this be disruptive to the team's morale and chemistry?

LV9, you must watch many more Tennessee games than I do. If you believe my observation is wrong, I'm glad to hear your analysis.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Some forget that Diamond had torn ligaments in her hand this season. Of course, she's up and down. This happened to her shooting hand (thumb). Since the wrap has come off, her shooting percentage has been soaring up. In the last 3 games, her shooting % is at 50%.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Some forget that Diamond had torn ligaments in her hand this season. Of course, she's up and down. This happened to her shooting hand (thumb). Since the wrap has come off, her shooting percentage has been soaring up. In the last 3 games, her shooting % is at 50%.

Thanks - I didn't know about the ligaments. Just remember that she had lingering problems with her legs.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
You are correct---every time I see ORANGE===I punch an upright! And when I see Diamonds--I just throw them in the trash.
But when I see a dedicated WBB player--I respect her.

Apparently, dedication isn't obvious to your eyes. Her dedication is unwavering and you have no idea of the injury that she had to battle through just to get to where she is today. She's fortunate to be able to still play this game. UNC nearly damaged her for life by playing her on that bum leg and running her in the ground. Thank goodness, she got out of there and into a program that put her health first.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Thanks - I didn't know about the ligaments. Just remember that she had lingering problems with her legs.

Yes, the leg injury she was fortunate to get by. Then about a week before SEC play began, she tore ligaments in her thumb on the shooting hand. The wrap has been off for the last 5 games.

Reaction Score

well the good news is you'll be getting a great group of recruits next year............the bad news is that you will most likely have to live through similar results unless there is a coaching change.........nice lady........not such a good coach..........

Reaction Score
you're excused......this time.....:D
Please don't keep a running total---excuse or don't --it is always important to know where one stands i.e. is considered --i.e. friend or enemy --- i.e. can post or can't. I told you--I'm dense!!

Reaction Score

Is DD the coach--?? Who is running that row boat? DD is a cancer? Why wait for the WnBA/?
Boot her from the program if she is that disruptive as --cancer? The coach has that power.
Can you see that happening (for very long) with Geno//?/

I won't try to defend the post to which you are replying but are you in the locker room? Are you with the players away from the court? And if not, how do know she is "adored" by her teammates? I suspect you read read too many of the puff pieces put out by the program or homer writers like Cornelius.

As far as injuries, I remember how after she announced her transfer there were posts by LV fans excusing her sub-30% 3 pt shooting as a freshman by stating that she played her entire freshman season with a wrist/hand injury. Then during her sit-out season we were constantly told that she was practicing with the team and was 100%. Then in the summer of 2015 we learned that she had leg issues but again were assured that she would be 100% by the start of the season. Then when she continued to shoot around 25% from behind the arc we were told that her leg issues weren't over. Now this year you tell us that her hand injury has resurfaced.

I also remember that in both of her playing seasons her game suddenly came alive in the NCAA's. Now I don't know her and I have no sources in the LV locker room but it appears to me that the quality of DD's play rises and falls depending on the importance of the game and the TV coverage. I also noticed that her shooting % has improved this season, but only because she has stopped taking 8-10 3 pt shots a game and has instead focused on mid-range shooting, where she indeed is very good.

IMO DD is a very talented and very athletic player who has yet to show the maturity expected of an academic senior. I'm sure she will be a lottery pick next May, but I would guess that her history of chronic injuries would give some teams pause.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Yes, the leg injury she was fortunate to get by. Then about a week before SEC play began, she tore ligaments in her thumb on the shooting hand. The wrap has been off for the last 5 games.

Seriously can someone please annotate in the box scores the games where the torn ligaments (allegedly) have impacted Diamonds shooting so I can't keep track of the lame excuses being made for her poor play.
Mercedes is doing ok though right, because she's been up and down also?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom