Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss

Reaction Score
But she has a point. They do, on paper, have a lot of talented players. And we do see what they're capable of doing when they play hard, and are focused. They beat Notre Dame, of course. They beat Stanford.

But she is also right in implying that Tennessee doesn't always play hard and isn't always focused. Hence the loss to Ole Miss.

Tennessee is dangerous. They proved it a year ago with virtually the same team when they went to the Elite Eight.

But what she implies is that it's not all about talent. And Tennessee simply doesn't play with focus and intensity all the time. Connecticut, on the other had, does.

Having said that, I would love to see Connecticut and Tennessee play each other. I would love to see Tennessee forced to face up to the fact that they're not us.

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like all that bad of a comment to me.

Bottom line: I'd be very comfortable lining up against them in the regional or final four.
I agree--not all that bad. Self serving, probably. The comment about Tenn (paraphrasing) being in the same class/category as Uconn--was a bit truthful --when qualified with--if they play hard.
That could be said about a lot of team. But since neither team has played Uconn this year or last
they have little to compare it to. Tenn has talent--lots of it--had it the last 5 or so years--and incoming. Talent isn't their issue. Coaching when compared to UConn coaching top to bottom
no comparison.
Gus--I'd like to see this Uconn team to meet that UVols team in the NCAA's. --then the comparison will be complete!!
I rarely fault any players/coach/team /Conference touting their team---if the can't they should stop playing-coaching -watching--you don't belong.

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. we know TN's record, we know UCONN's record. all she was saying is that the LVs have gifted players but they don't always play like it or as a team. she was also complimenting UCONN by saying your team always plays hard and wants to dominate for 40 mins.
I'm sure most Byer's know the quality of Talent on the Tn Vols---and the lack of fielding a team--that ( using Geno's words) knowing what you'll get from them ---every game, every minute.
I've watched the Vols this year--they have great moment--then disappear.
Now Vol Fan----here is the 64,000000000 dollar question: is that effect a reflection of the players or the coaching staff? If the players--fix it---if the coaching staff--fire it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, at least it's not Muffet being strung up in the town square today!
There is always tomorrow!
muffet-mcgraw.jpg

Reaction Score
A question. Does the Tennesse over Notre Dame change any view on UConn win over them?
I didn't see the game, but I am baffled how N.D. only scored 7 points in the fourth quarter. If you know of a place I can watch a replay of the game it would be appreciated.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm sure most Byer's know the quality of Talent on the Tn Vols---and the lack of fielding a team--that ( using Geno's words) knowing what you'll get from them ---every game, every minute.
I've watched the Vols this year--they have great moment--then disappear.
Now Vol Fan----here is the 64,000000000 dollar question: is that effect a reflection of the players or the coaching staff? If the players--fix it---if the coaching staff--fire it.

Broadway - I don't know to what extent forums reflect the general feeling of fan bases, and I'm sure you know this already, but a casual reading of VolNation postings shows that there are a whole lot of Tennessee fans who want to see a new coaching regime in Knoxville. And despite the occasional great games the Lady Vols play, the persistent losses to teams they traditionally stomp is increasing the percentage of fans who want Warlick gone.

As to your excellent question, it's my belief that it's almost always on the coaching staff. Putting aside questions about Warlick's ability to manage games, ultimately the lackadaisical play and lack of focus exhibited by her team boils down to her control. Five years at the helm is enough to document that either she and her staff are incapable of establishing a proper culture and work ethic with the team, and/or she is recruiting talented but flawed players who don't buy into the team concept.

Personally, from the little I've seen of her, I think Warlick seems to be a pretty decent sort of person and is someone I like. But despite her having talented players and achieving a good record statistically, she seems in over her head at Tennessee. Her pressers after most of the losses are just plain painful to watch.

Reaction Score
A question. Does the Tennesse over Notre Dame change any view on UConn win over them?

It doesn't hurt but I watched every minute of that game and ND not only played poorly, they appeared ill prepared to play a basketball game

Reaction Score
I agree with your sentiment -- that the series should resume and both schools should bury this very hoary hatchet. But your implied facts are not correct -- Tennessee has asked about resuming the series, but apparently UConn (Geno) is holding out for an apology from the Tennessee administration for the statements made in 2007-08 before it will agree to that.

IMHO (as previously stated), I think that the series should resume without preconditions.[/
It would be really nice if Tennessee would, "bury the hatchet," and re-schedue home and home games with UCONN. It is like having no Yankee/ Red Socks games in baseball. No Giants/ Cowboys games in football. I know this position is maintained as an "honorific" to Pat Summit, but I think it is a dishonor to her. Above all, she wanted the women's game to develop, improve, and garner fan interest to the maximum. There is no better rivalry than UCONN/ Tennessee. Can't we all grow up? This is just a game, after all.
Speaking about dishonor- the Red Socks?? Really? Guess it's not as bad as thr Red Sucks......

Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt that if Geno had been the LV coach since 2014, he would probably have a 90+ game winning streak going with that roster? Or that if they played the current UConn roster coached by Holly, his team would win by about 25 points? In that scenario, Gabby would probably be a backup point guard, getting 10 to 12 minutes per game.

I disagree. Talent, as used in the context of wbb refers to how strong, how fast/quick, how high a jumper and how skilled a ball handler a player was in high school. According to the McDAA committee Tenn has more of those types than UConn. But while the UConn players had "talent" they also had intangibles. Geno's success has given him the ability to look among those talented players for those who have both a heart and the belly to have their game broken down and rebuilt and who also sublimate their own individual goals to the goals of the team. I'm not sure that the current group of LV's fit those criteria. And if those intangibles aren't already present the UConn system can't work.

A question. Does the Tennesse (win) over Notre Dame change any view on UConn win over them?

I've observed this year that there is a huge difference between how a team plays at home and how they play on the road. And many times great comebacks are as much a function of bad play by the losing team as they are due to great play by the winners.

Reaction Score
LOL yeah sure, the Vols could line up with UConn - for the national anthem. Then they would get smoked worse than Miss St did last year in the NCAAs when it was 61-12 at half time.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame game. Doris Burke said this about Diamond DeShields. "She is unquestionably one of the most talented players in the country. Her mid range game is outstanding."

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game, but I am baffled how N.D. only scored 7 points in the fourth quarter. If you know of a place I can watch a replay of the game it would be appreciated.
I can only find highlights on youtube.

Reaction Score
thanks for the nice responses.

i agree with all of you in that the LVs are either hot or awful. it is utterly maddening as a fan. they just don't play hard all the time. well, nared does, but overall they do not. russell has been a beast this year and diamond fades in and out. if, and that's a big IF, they put it all together, they have the ability to go deep into the tourney.

as for whether the ND win solves any riddles, holly said after the auburn game that the ND game "had lost all its value." they don't even have a locker room right now. they are forced to use the visitor's locker room right now. soooo, she's not convinced.

Reaction Score
Typical post game hyperbole after your team gets beaten badly. The alternative response is that Tennessee is not a very good team but we (Vandy) are much worse. :(
Old dude...Agree but I also get a vibe of what she said and what people heard. Possibly with out knowing it she said The Rocky Top coach ain't getting it done!
She should have said if that team had Geno Auriemma as a coach they would beat his present team :D.
She had to protect her team, but did not think while complementing the great players on Tenn she trashed the staff for not being able to get them to bring it all game every game ;)
Not bashing her as she has a program to build and I am sure she will do fine. Just has to think out her post game comments a bit. :)

NO...Why should it? An early season game, tuning up the new team. Nobody rushed the floor. UConn gets everybody's best game no matter what. Having said that for the most part ND is fading from the picture and Tenn is out of the top 25.
Should we meet Tenn in the tourny I am sure we would get their best game. Not to be impolite or snarky but I watched the entire Tenn / ND game and it was not a thing of beauty for either team. Tenn played their butts off for the Pat Day and prevailed but not top 25 BB from either team in that game.
No malice just my opinion on that one :).

Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame game. Doris Burke said this about Diamond DeShields. "She is unquestionably one of the most talented players in the country. Her mid range game is outstanding."
I totally agree with Doris. I also think DD is a cancer. Holly should encourage her to go to the WNBA after this year so Holly can hopefully get control of the team next year. IMO LadyVol has the talent to compete with UCONN. But not the mentality.

Reaction Score
Broadway - I don't know to what extent forums reflect the general feeling of fan bases, and I'm sure you know this already, but a casual reading of VolNation postings shows that there are a whole lot of Tennessee fans who want to see a new coaching regime in Knoxville. And despite the occasional great games the Lady Vols play, the persistent losses to teams they traditionally stomp is increasing the percentage of fans who want Warlick gone.

As to your excellent question, it's my belief that it's almost always on the coaching staff. Putting aside questions about Warlick's ability to manage games, ultimately the lackadaisical play and lack of focus exhibited by her team boils down to her control. Five years at the helm is enough to document that either she and her staff are incapable of establishing a proper culture and work ethic with the team, and/or she is recruiting talented but flawed players who don't buy into the team concept.

Personally, from the little I've seen of her, I think Warlick seems to be a pretty decent sort of person and is someone I like. But despite her having talented players and achieving a good record statistically, she seems in over her head at Tennessee. Her pressers after most of the losses are just plain painful to watch.

If she was not a NICE lady--I doubt she'd still have the job. But nice guys/women as they say finish last (not really but you have to be tough nosed to take the abuse from kids and fans alike)
I don't have any axe in this argument --but it hurts a bit to see a top program, with top and superior talent--squander that. Alas--this is Tenn's problem.
If those "flawed" players were with Geno and stayed (that's the question) those flaws would
not be seen by fans--it was not a match for Uconn for obvious reason.

Reaction Score
Tony....
Go here (ESPN3): ..espn.com/watchespn/player#..

Sign in with your cable provider.

Go to REPLAYS and it's there on Jan 16th

Enjoy!

C

Reaction Score
I totally agree with Doris. I also think DD is a cancer. Holly should encourage her to go to the WNBA after this year so Holly can hopefully get control of the team next year. IMO LadyVol has the talent to compete with UCONN. But not the mentality.
Is DD the coach--?? Who is running that row boat? DD is a cancer? Why wait for the WnBA/?
Boot her from the program if she is that disruptive as --cancer? The coach has that power.
Can you see that happening (for very long) with Geno//?/

Reaction Score
I've seen bunch of the Tennessee games and while Nared has been pretty consistent, I have to disagree about Russell and Deshields. Game by game the points, shots, turnovers are all over the place for them. Inconsistency is the only consistent thing you can count on.
I've watched a few Vols games. DD, when the mood strikes her, can take over a game--and for few singular moment's looks like Maya--
Nared--is the one i liked. Even against Div 2 teams--they struggled.
I believe our first 4 off the bench with Chong --in most games could defeat them--our kids will play 40 minutes hard , defend hard,
Natalie can take Russell---Molly can defend DD--Danger will run wild.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Talent, as used in the context of wbb refers to how strong, how fast/quick, how high a jumper and how skilled a ball handler a player was in high school. According to the McDAA committee Tenn has more of those types than UConn. But while the UConn players had "talent" they also had intangibles. Geno's success has given him the ability to look among those talented players for those who have both a heart and the belly to have their game broken down and rebuilt and who also sublimate their own individual goals to the goals of the team. I'm not sure that the current group of LV's fit those criteria. And if those intangibles aren't already present the UConn system can't work.

I've observed this year that there is a huge difference between how a team plays at home and how they play on the road. And many times great comebacks are as much a function of bad play by the losing team as they are due to great play by the winners.
Have you noticed how Uconn has played on the road?? ND, MD
For the past 3 or 4 years --they were almost better away than home.
The mark of a great team--they feed off of the opponents noise--ala
DT in Duke.

Reaction Score
If she was not a NICE lady--I doubt she'd still have the job. But nice guys/women as they say finish last (not really but you have to be tough nosed to take the abuse from kids and fans alike)
I don't have any axe in this argument --but it hurts a bit to see a top program, with top and superior talent--squander that. Alas--this is Tenn's problem.
If those "flawed" players were with Geno and stayed (that's the question) those flaws would
not be seen by fans--it was not a match for Uconn for obvious reason.

and just think..........they have the number one recruiting class in the nation coming in next year............perhaps they will succeed despite the coaching

Reaction Score

j66kicker...No personal argument here were both fans, just a difference of opinion. :) If one player is causing Holly to not have control of the team no matter how good then Holly is the one that should move on. In basketball there is a cure for cancerous type players known as THE BENCH. ;)
It does not take a medical degree to administer it but a good amount of what it takes to be a good D1 basketball head coach is required! No long disclaimer needed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom