Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss

Reaction Score
She's saying they have just as good of talent as Uconn. So basically she's stating to all coaches in NCAAW that they have to catch up to Geno and staff. You can't compare a team who hasn't lost in 2 years to a school who is trying to rebuild their program. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about South Carolina. I thought they was the best team in the SEC?? Or is it Miss. St we will find out tonight

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt that if Geno had been the LV coach since 2014, he would probably have a 90+ game winning streak going with that roster? Or that if they played the current UConn roster coached by Holly, his team would win by about 25 points?

In that scenario, Gabby would probably be a backup point guard, getting 10 to 12 minutes per game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
That is one of the most silly comments Ive ever heard. There are alot of teams with alot of talent does that mean they can be up there with UConn? NO There are alot of athletes with alot of talent does that make you think they are up there with the top players in their sport? NO Getting to the top and staying there is part of being great. Getting to the top and continuing to raise the bar is something more then talent. Tenn was struggleing before Pat got sick. Their problem is they have alot of problems and it starts with coaching. They have the players just like so many other teams but they dont stack up to UConn. No team does. Geno is the difference and until coaches commit to being like Geno and doing what Geno does they will never reach the level that UConn has attained. Never Ever

Reaction Score
If Stephanie White is talking, I'm listening. She's merely saying UT's talent is on a par with UConn's. I have no problem with that. Several teams UConn has vanquished this year had comparable talent. Talent is some large percentage of the makeup of great teams, but certainly not 100% of it, as UConn consistently demonstrates in games against talented teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's one thing to drink the conference Kool-Aid, it's another to soak in a tub full of it.

Watching the game there were many times when the camera hovered on White looking rather uncomfortable. Yesterday her club looked horrible. It is not unusual for the loser in such circumstances to over rate the opponent, which probably just obscures discovering and tackling the real task at hand.

HGN

Reaction Score
Well you have to come up with something when you just gotten your butts beat by 28pts.....So why not say the other team was the equal of the best in WCBB (UConn). Sort of takes the sting out and softens the anger of your fan base.
Fact of the matter is that many thought Vandy would be competitive in the LadyVols game , or perhaps win it , and Stephanie and Vandy got embarrassed.

So she came up with the explanation that The LadyVols are really UConn in Orange uniforms. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like all that bad of a comment to me.

Bottom line: I'd be very comfortable lining up against them in the regional or final four.

If the Lady V's are going "to line up," Holly will have to teach them how. And you know how that's going . . .

Reaction Score
Stephanie White needs to focus on Vandy and only Vandy. 10-10 for Vandy? They used to have a really good program over there.
she needs to get to work.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I think talent is there. Russell, Nared, and Deshields have been pretty consistant all year. It's some of the others Middleton great game tonight. In previous SEC games not much. I think that's been one of the problems.

I've seen bunch of the Tennessee games and while Nared has been pretty consistent, I have to disagree about Russell and Deshields. Game by game the points, shots, turnovers are all over the place for them. Inconsistency is the only consistent thing you can count on.

Reaction Score
"...if she's saying that Tennessee is UConn's equal on a good day, it's a bit far fetched as far as I'm concerned."

Yes, but Charliebball, while your point is true, isn't it much more fun for us if anointed-as-knowledgeable high-end coaches get the LadyVols or any other team to actually believe that they are on par with UCONN when they arrive at our door or we arrive at their never-before-full stadium and trim them down to size!

I wish there were more people like Steph White so we could enjoy the crash heard round the stadium while we are there!

No?

Reaction Score
Tony, true dhat, but see my comment above! Much more enjoyable if they actually believe that when the sheep walk onto OUR court, no?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
For those who are criticizing White, consider this. You are making a judgement based on the notes of a reporter from a Knoxville television station. We don't know what she fully said and whether these quotes are part of a broader comparison she made.

Personally, I don't think saying that Tennessee on their best day could line up with Connecticut is at all negative because I don't interpret that as saying she thinks the Lady Vols would win - I take it to mean that they could be competitive.

As others have mentioned above, White has been very complimentary of UConn when working as a broadcaster.

Side note for those who took the time to watch the news clip which Charlieball provided in the OP. I thought the sideline reporter's post game comments regarding Middleton "cooking" during the game and then having the editor impose a chef's hat on her head when showing her highlights was a great touch. Not Pulitzer Prize winning "great", but enjoyable.

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. we know TN's record, we know UCONN's record. all she was saying is that the LVs have gifted players but they don't always play like it or as a team. she was also complimenting UCONN by saying your team always plays hard and wants to dominate for 40 mins.

Reaction Score
Not to worry, LadyVols9, we love every team that brings us a challenge and shows the spirit that the LadyVols9 are infamous for...

As much as we love to win, we also love a challenge from a worthy opponent!

Thank you for coming over to say hi, and hope you stay.

What we all want, nationwide, is for high level basketball, and the LadyVols have set the path, at the beginning, for this quest!

You said nothing wrong at all. Just a few of us here leaving our minds wandering without a leash.

C

Reaction Score
If she's simply comparing physical ability I can almost accept that comment, if she's saying that Tennessee is UConn's equal on a good day, it's a bit far fetched as far as I'm concerned...perhaps she might consider that UConn rarely allows other teams to have good days..good minutes perhaps.....but good days.....nope
UCONN is going to have some really tough challengers in the NCAA tournament. That will make it fun, and makes the trophy winner even more qualified. With almost zero depth, the challenge to UCONN this year will be immense. We are going to need Crystal to play at, " more than a freshman," level. If not, we have the starting five and Natalie. I just can't imagine that will be enough, despite what the record is to date.

Reaction Score
Not to worry, LadyVols9, we love every team that brings us a challenge and shows the spirit that the LadyVols9 are infamous for...

As much as we love to win, we also love a challenge from a worthy opponent!

Thank you for coming over to say hi, and hope you stay.

What we all want, nationwide, is for high level basketball, and the LadyVols have set the path, at the beginning, for this quest!

You said nothing wrong at all. Just a few of us here leaving our minds wandering without a leash.

C
It would be really nice if Tennessee would, "bury the hatchet," and re-schedue home and home games with UCONN. It is like having no Yankee/ Red Socks games in baseball. No Giants/ Cowboys games in football. I know this position is maintained as an "honorific" to Pat Summit, but I think it is a dishonor to her. Above all, she wanted the women's game to develop, improve, and garner fan interest to the maximum. There is no better rivalry than UCONN/ Tennessee. Can't we all grow up? This is just a game, after all.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It would be really nice if Tennessee would, "bury the hatchet," and re-schedue home and home games with UCONN. It is like having no Yankee/ Red Socks games in baseball. No Giants/ Cowboys games in football. I know this position is maintained as an "honorific" to Pat Summit, but I think it is a dishonor to her. Above all, she wanted the women's game to develop, improve, and garner fan interest to the maximum. There is no better rivalry than UCONN/ Tennessee. Can't we all grow up? This is just a game, after all.
I agree with your sentiment -- that the series should resume and both schools should bury this very hoary hatchet. But your implied facts are not correct -- Tennessee has asked about resuming the series, but apparently UConn (Geno) is holding out for an apology from the Tennessee administration for the statements made in 2007-08 before it will agree to that.

IMHO (as previously stated), I think that the series should resume without preconditions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd like to see UCONN "bury the hatchet" also, but first UCONN would have to pull the hatchet out of its back. I'm not so sure TN would still want to play a game after UCONN's placement of said hatchet.
Has nothing to do with "growing up", it was just a game (good rivalry too) but TN made it about something else- the integrity of a man, his program & a recruits family ; neither of which actually "play the game".

Reaction Score
If Stephanie White is talking, I'm listening. She's merely saying UT's talent is on a par with UConn's. I have no problem with that. Several teams UConn has vanquished this year had comparable talent. Talent is some large percentage of the makeup of great teams, but certainly not 100% of it, as UConn consistently demonstrates in games against talented teams.

I agree with your take for the most part. The only thing is when she says, "I think that when they play hard all the time, when they share the ball, especially like they played in the first half tonight, and in the fourth quarter, you can line them up against Connecticut. They could beat one of the best teams in the country." She is seeing LVs against her team play that way. I can play against some 10 year olds and look very talented but go against some high schoolers and that talent does not look the same. : - )

Reaction Score
"Can't we all grow up? This is just a game, after all."

Yes and No.

This is a fight to death, isn't it?

Never bring a smile to a knife fight.

Reaction Score
It would be really nice if Tennessee would, "bury the hatchet," and re-schedue home and home games with UCONN. It is like having no Yankee/ Red Socks games in baseball. No Giants/ Cowboys games in football. I know this position is maintained as an "honorific" to Pat Summit, but I think it is a dishonor to her. Shove all, she wanted the women's game to develop, improve, and garner fan interest to the maximum. There is no better rivalry than UCONN/ Tennessee. Can't we all grow up? This is just a game, after all.
Not exactly sure what that means but , whatever it is, it was her decision. I'm fine with letting the series be suspended forever, in her honor, while the LadyVols sink further and further into irrelevance.

As for growing up, what's the big deal? It's just a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom