Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Coach Compares Lady Vols to UConn After Loss

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
White is regarded as one of the best basketball minds in the game.
Here's the quote.(On if Tennessee needs to be mentally tougher)
"No, I just think that sometimes they hold themselves back. I think that there's always this thing when you have a really good, talented team. Sometimes you think that you can flip the switch on and off. As coaches, we fight this battle a lot when you have great teams and great players. I think that when they play hard all the time, when they share the ball, especially like they played in the first half tonight, and in the fourth quarter, you can line them up against Connecticut. They could beat one of the best teams in the country. I think sometimes you see the inconsistency. It's not mental toughness necessarily, but just mentality to dominate. I think that's what you see in a lot of special players, and a lot of special players that you guys have seen around here for a long time."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
8843e179817aee04c31a71a293f4d98a.jpg

Reaction Score
If she's simply comparing physical ability I can almost accept that comment, if she's saying that Tennessee is UConn's equal on a good day, it's a bit far fetched as far as I'm concerned.............perhaps she might consider that UConn rarely allows other teams to have good days............good minutes perhaps.....but good days..........nope

Reaction Score
White is regarded as one of the best basketball minds in the game.
"No, I just think that sometimes they hold themselves back. I think that there's always this thing when you have a really good, talented team. Sometimes you think that you can flip the switch on and off. As coaches, we fight this battle a lot when you have great teams and great players. I think that when they play hard all the time, when they share the ball, especially like they played in the first half tonight, and in the fourth quarter, you can line them up against Connecticut. They could beat one of the best teams in the country. I think sometimes you see the inconsistency. It's not mental toughness necessarily, but just mentality to dominate. I think that's what you see in a lot of special players, and a lot of special players that you guys have seen around here for a long time."
Wow!! Well if she WAS considered one of the best basketball minds in the country before...I don't think she is now! To make that comparison is crazy. Mental toughness is what sets UConn apart. Lots of teams have talent and can play real well for limited stretches of time. But very very few can do it for long periods of time and on a consistent basis. THAT'S exactly what makes UConn different!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Reminder to Stephanie White:

You are what your record is. UConn 18 - 0, Tennessee 12 - 7 and Vandy at 10 - 10.

You can line up Tennessee against UConn in the 4th quarter. But don't bet on Tennessee being successful.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Reminder to Stephanie White:

You are what your record is. UConn 18 - 0, Tennessee 12 - 7 and Vandy at 10 - 10.

You can line up Tennessee against UConn in the 4th quarter. But don't bet on Tennessee being successful.
This is her first year at Vanderbilt. It will take a little time. I think she will do a good job at Vanderbilt. She was successful in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
This is her first year at Vanderbilt. It will take a little time. I think she will do a good job at Vanderbilt. She was successful in the WNBA.

She may indeed be a fine basketball coach but I have real doubts about her knowledge of the teams outside of her own conference based on her post game comments..............believe me, nothing would make Boneyarders happier then a March match up against those ultra talented Vols..................and we can only hope that they don't hold anything back!!!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wow!! Well if she WAS considered one of the best basketball minds in the country before...I don't think she is now! To make that comparison is crazy. Mental toughness is what sets UConn apart. Lots of teams have talent and can play real well for limited stretches of time. But very very few can do it for long periods of time and on a consistent basis. THAT'S exactly what makes UConn different!
That is the very point she was making.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
" I think that when they play hard all the time, when they share the ball, especially like they played in the first half tonight, and in the fourth quarter, you can line them up against Connecticut. "

So far during this streak 93 teams have "lined up against Connecticut" right before the opening tip. Things typically go downhill for them immediately thereafter.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yeah....she's saying IF they could, then they could play with UConn and possibly beat them. But the point is....they don't play like that consistently and that is what UConn usually does do.
I think talent is there. Russell, Nared, and Deshields have been pretty consistant all year. It's some of the others Middleton great game tonight. In previous SEC games not much. I think that's been one of the problems.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like all that bad of a comment to me.

Bottom line: I'd be very comfortable lining up against them in the regional or final four.
I think we have all agreed Tennessee has talent, it was always whether Holly could coach them. I saw this full game and Tenn played very well, Middleton was on fire and Russell and Deshields brought their A games. White's comments were pretty measured and accurate how Tenn played today. Could they take it to UConn for 40 min? No, the discipline isn't there for the team and while talented, the UConn defense would wear them down fast as they are not well conditioned and have less depth than UConn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think collectively several posters have analyzed this pretty well. A couple more thoughts:

We could take this as a compliment. She could have said something like: "When they play like they did yada yada yada they can compete with the very best." She made "the very best" concrete by supplying Connecticut. Note that you could say this about a lot of teams. Louisville, for example, if playing their best, could hang with Connecticut for, say, a quarter and a half or maybe even a half. I wouldn't expect that team to beat UConn, though, barring such things as bad foul trouble or extremely poor shooting, over 40 minutes.

Another point is that Stephanie White has called UConn games several times, including I believe last year. She was very complimentary and couldn't disguise her admiration. She has a lot of credibility as a player and coach, and has seen a lot of games.

Finally, this. UT has a lot of fine players. And they deserve a lot of credit for coming back from a big deficit and making the plays to beat a highly regarded Notre Dame team. But they are still a highly flawed basketball team. Again, barring exceptional circumstances, UConn would beat them handily. Most of me would like to see that. Part of me would not like to see the matchup happen because of the way the media would treat it. The players and coaches of each team, and especially Geno, would have to answer question after question about a past rivalry that has seen its day and will never recur. I would much prefer that Geno and his charges be allowed to focus on the business at hand.

Reaction Score
  • Lining up is a lot different than playing. I've been reading these "let's match up the starters" threads for decades. Tenn does "match up" on paper with UConn. In fact Tenn has more upperclassmen and should be expected to have more poise and maturity. But that's where it ends. Despite their relative success in the NCAA;s, Tenn has shown little resemblance to UConn for almost a decade. I match up well against the players on the senior golf tour. If only I could hit the ball further & straighter and putt a lot better I could compete with them. :rolleyes:
  • The LV's are 3-5 away from TBA. The wins came against James Madison, E Tenn St & Vandi. Two mid-majors and a team that's 0-7 in the SEC. They have lost on the road to Auburn, Miss, Texas, Miss St & Baylor. Elite teams beat ranked teams on the road, something that Tenn hasn't done this year. They will have 2 more chances at S Carolina and at Miss St.
  • The proper followup question to White is "so why don't they play with the same intensity"? Of course the shills that mistakenly call themselves journalists are just there to promote the game. Mustn't say or ask anything that might put the interviewee on the spot. That may be a bit harsh but it is also true.

Reaction Score
I miss stated the LV's road losses. They have yet to play Miss St on the road and lost at home to Baylor. The fourth & fifth road losses were to Penn St and V Tech.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom