USF WBB '16-'17 Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USF WBB '16-'17 Season

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Holy mackerel. USF just scored 101 in the first 3 quarters on St. Francis of PA.

That's gotta be some kind of record.

We ended up scoring 129! LOL

That breaks our previous record of 126.

And, Laksa only played sparingly, because she broke the pinkyfinger on her shooting hand near the end of our last game. I think they said she had two chips.

St Francis made NINETEEN threes! That's how they ended up scoring 80 points.

So, we are now 8-0 and headed to Vegas to play in the Play4Kay tourney Dec 19-21.

USF W. Basketball ‏@USFWBB 30m30 minutes ago
FINAL | USF downs Saint Francis U 129-80 and improve to 8-0, matching the best start in program history. #United

CzrnE1mXUAA9Vre.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
^^155 field goal attempts---79 threes--and 39 free throws in that game.^^

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very Impressive. Great for our conference. They will be a very tough challenge. Hope we are gathering the proper intelligence.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Should be a wild game at our place in January!!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Should be a wild game at our place in January!!

I just wish it was in Tampa, since we would have a better chance, but that still isn't saying too much. LOL

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF's first game is at 12:30 Pacific time, but if they can get past Long Beach State, then their next two games will both be in the evening.

All games will be streamed live on YouTube.

I heard about that earlier today. I thought they were joking. Nice to know, it's true.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Holy mackerel. USF just scored 101 in the first 3 quarters on St. Francis of PA.

That's gotta be some kind of record.

Baylor has 111 through 3 against vaunted Winthrop today. They lead by 80.

Good thing nobody else runs up the score like mean ole Geno.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Baylor has 111 through 3 against vaunted Winthrop today. They lead by 80.

Good thing nobody else runs up the score like mean ole Geno.

For anyone curious, Baylor outscored Winthrop 29-0 in the 4th.

Final score: 140-32

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't want to be a kill joy, but let's be honest here, many on the boneyard note how many other nationally prominent teams play a soft schedule yet USF seems to be getting a free pass at this. I think this team has talent (virtually all of it from overseas) however Jose needs to buff up his OOC schedule to be legit. I am hoping this years team can make it to the sweet 16 to keep the AAC gaining in reputation. Until then, please be measured in your exuberance.

Reaction Score
For anyone curious, Baylor outscored Winthrop 29-0 in the 4th.

Final score: 140-32
I had to google Winthrop to see who that was. Interesting that they spiced up their schedule by sticking Ohio State and South Carolina in amongst Mercer, High Point, Radford, UNC Ashville, Charleston Southern, Tennessee Tech, etc. Away games, so nice paydays, I guess.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I don't want to be a kill joy, but let's be honest here, many on the boneyard note how many other nationally prominent teams play a soft schedule yet USF seems to be getting a free pass at this. I think this team has talent (virtually all of it from overseas) however Jose needs to buff up his OOC schedule to be legit. I am hoping this years team can make it to the sweet 16 to keep the AAC gaining in reputation. Until then, please be measured in your exuberance.

First, the soft schedule of USF this year has already been mentioned in several threads.

We had a tougher OOC schedule last year, when we were a team loaded with starting seniors.

This season, three of our top players graduated and we brought in SIX new players.

It is understandable, that the USF WBB coach would soften the OOC schedule in order to allow our new players to get an early opportunity to play and, yet, STILL be competitive.

So far it has worked out well for us.

Next week we will likely play Oklahoma State (31/29) and Oregon State (26/15) and, we are at a point now where, we have a decent chance to beat them both. Too bad that Laksa has a broken finger on her shooting hand and won't be at 100%, but that is where the new players can now possibly contribute.

We also will play Louisville (8/8) on 1/22/17.

And, of course we will likely play UCONN (1/1) THREE times and, it doesn't get any tougher than that.

USF has in the past been a bubble team, because of a poor OOC schedule and has been left out of the dance as a result, despite a good W/L record. So, our coach has made it a point, in recent years to beef it up, so that won't ever happen again.

Also, USF has for years tried to schedule FSU, UF and Miami, but they won't play a home and home series. When we did have them regularly on our OOC schedule, they often lost and they each decided to discontinue our series.

I expect that next year, with a more experienced team, we will have a tougher OOC schedule.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Well, USF lost 73-68.

No excuses.

Hopefully, we can win our remaining games in the tourney.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Who was the announcer for this game?
Said the refs should be sent to the losers bracket. lol
Maybe, but you can't leave the game in the refs hands to begin with.
Huskies will put a beat down on the Bulls if they play like that on 1-10-17.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, USF lost 73-68.

No excuses.

Hopefully, we can win our remaining games in the tourney.

I caught bits and pieces of this game, and I'm not sure why USF struggled so much. They seemed to take control in the 2nd quarter with a 10-point lead, and then let LBSU back in the game with some mental errors and silly fouls. They played almost the entire 2nd half from behind, and just couldn't get anything to fall their way (shooting or officiating) down the stretch.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let's call this what it is- - let down. This stinks for both USF and UConnNot happy. Call me a killjoy for reminding our esteemed colleague on his USF thread, that yes, maybe had Jose beefed up his OOC, they would bring the intensity every night and be ready. Want to take the next step up, play some real teams, then when you play a strong mid-major like LBS the team is ready. Stop making excuses like "the team is young" which, btw is still older than the UConn team (8 upper classman to 5). Plus with the 9 international players, you should have more experience. How else will they learn? I guess St Francis and Ark St really helped your team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Let's call this what it is- - let down. This stinks for both USF and UConnNot happy. Call me a killjoy for reminding our esteemed colleague on his USF thread, that yes, maybe had Jose beefed up his OOC, they would bring the intensity every night and be ready. Want to take the next step up, play some real teams, then when you play a strong mid-major like LBS the team is ready. Stop making excuses like "the team is young" which, btw is still older than the UConn team (8 upper classman to 5). Plus with the 9 international players, you should have more experience. How else will they learn? I guess St Francis and Ark St really helped your team.

Yeesh. Maybe ease up a little. Playing a tougher OOC schedule doesn't immunize against an off game. DePaul's nonconference SOS may be second only to UConn's, but it didn't keep them from having an off night against Temple. Last year, even with a more rigorous OOC, USF still suffered a "bad" loss to Memphis in AAC play. It's easy to throw stones at a coach in retrospect after a disappointing loss. But these bold statements of cause-and-effect are just speculative at best.

USF, in a relative sense, may have lost even more than UConn did: 3 of their top 4 scorers, including their all-time leading rebounder and the 8th overall pick in the draft, not to mention that a returning two-year starter is hobbled by injury and played only 2 minutes in this game. I say "relative" because the level of talent that USF had waiting in the wings to replace its graduation losses is just nowhere near what UConn had.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF saved their best game of the tourney against UNLV.

So, USF went 2-1, against three top 100 teams.

In fact UNLV is supposedly the best of those three.

Final score USF 77 UNLV 42.

So, USF is 10-1 on the season.

We next play at home against Stetson 12/30.

Happy holidays to everyone!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USF saved their best game of the tourney against UNLV.

So, USF went 2-1, against three top 100 teams.

In fact UNLV is supposedly the best of those three.

Final score USF 77 UNLV 42.

So, USF is 10-1 on the season.

We next play at home against Stetson 12/30.

Happy holidays to everyone!

Nice result. Hopefully LBSU was an aberration.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman