USF postgame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USF postgame

Reaction Score
Correct. Oh, and let's not forget, the competition will lose players also. Gone are: Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Asia Durr, Megan Gustafson, Teaira McCowan, Arike Ogunbowale, Alanna Smith.

Some here like to believe only UConn will lose players and not look at the big picture. For the most part ND will lose 4 starters and if Young decides to go to WNBA, that's the starting 5.

Reaction Score
A comment/observation on the game. There is something to be said about the conditioning of the team (should I give Geno credit here? :rolleyes:). Jose had to call a time out in the 4th quarter just so his "winded" team can catch their breath. If there's anything UConn's teams do, that's play all out for 40 minutes...reason most teams cannot sustain how they start in fist half to second half.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
She hasnt been on the bench for any game since the injury?

That is correct. We have season tickets for the Bulls. After she went down with the ACL she went AWOL. Talking with Bulls fans, they were puzzled too. Ferreira and Jordeo made all the games after their seasons were over.

Reaction Score
Apparently the sky is falling again. Even though our best players weren’t playing or had an off night. That our undeveloped bench won us the game. Man, some of u guys’ expectations are beyond reasonable at this point.

The sky is still falling.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn is the 4th #1 Seed. If UConn lost last night they definitely are not a #1 seed. Many in the media believe that Miss ST and/or Oregon deserve a #1 seed if they win their post season Conference Championships. UConn's only signature win this year was against ND and they played a weaker OOC Schedule then usual due to some of the teams having a down year.

Charlie Creme said that a UCONN loss tonight would have moved them out of the #1 seed in Albany. That surprised me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

In this vein, I just saw the USF Post game presser. Nice to see the losing side able to look happy and feel they gave it a real go. Nice kids, Even Fernandez was smiling all the way through. :D

Reaction Score
Correct. Oh, and let's not forget, the competition will lose players also. Gone are: Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Asia Durr, Megan Gustafson, Teaira McCowan, Arike Ogunbowale, Alanna Smith.

true but take a look at South Carolina and Stanford among others next year.........they are going to be much improved....

Reaction Score
Yup, your right, they’ve completely slacked off only going 137-4 over the last 4 years. No development and poor coaching is exactly how I define UConn Women’s Basketball. And now back to are regularly schedule discussions that apply logic, real understanding and positive enjoyment....Head bang
Who said anything about poor coaching? UConn has the best coaching staff in the game by a wide margin.

But it’s a fact that they haven’t done a good building their bench over the past several years, and it’s burned them a couple times now.

Reaction Score
Jose said Laksa could have started tonight. How is that possible if she just tore her ACL four months ago? Isn't the recovery to get back to 100% much longer than that?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Who said anything about poor coaching? UConn has the best coaching staff in the game by a wide margin.

But it’s a fact that they haven’t done a good building their bench over the past several years, and it’s burned them a couple times now.
It is a consistent misconception of many on the BY that only UConn struggles to develop depth. The truth is that few top teams in WBB go much beyond 6 players who are capable of contributing in competitive games. ND has 5. Baylor, MS St, Louisville, Oregon all hover around 6 or so. While scoring drops off some with Liv or Mikayla off the bench, UConn now goes 7 deep. It’s time to give this argument a rest.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jose said Laksa could have started tonight. How is that possible if she just tore her ACL four months ago? Isn't the recovery to get back to 100% much longer than that?
Maybe he was talking about Laksa starting like Ferreira for 1 play and then being subbed out? Then UConn would have had to give up 2 layups.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe he was talking about Laksa starting like Ferreira for 1 play and then being subbed out? Then UConn would have had to give up 2 layups.

I think that is right. Jose was explaining the red shirt rules. If she would have stepped foot on the court (2nd half of season) .she would lose the red shirt year and it seems she is honestly undecided, Not sure she can make it in the WNBA but I see her being in demand on the International scene.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It is a consistent misconception of many on the BY that only UConn struggles to develop depth. The truth is that few top teams in WBB go much beyond 6 players who are capable of contributing in competitive games. ND has 5. Baylor, MS St, Louisville, Oregon all hover around 6 or so. It’s time to give this argument a rest.

Thank you oldude. You nailed it. Getting tired of this argument. If people actually rsearched how Geno coaches, they would know that he only goes 7 deep. Mikalay and Olivia did a very good job last night.

As to a couple of other items - I hope Laksa comes back for another year. She is a fun player to watch. Consensus from Bulls fans we talk to is she will go pro. And as to the Bulls being the "dregs" of the AAC, nothing could be further from the truth.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thank you oldude. You nailed it. Getting tired of this argument. If people actually rsearched how Geno coaches, they would know that he only goes 7 deep. Mikalay and Olivia did a very good job last night.

As to a couple of other items - I hope Laksa comes back for another year. She is a fun player to watch. Consensus from Bulls fans we talk to is she will go pro. And as to the Bulls being the "dregs" of the AAC, nothing could be further from the truth.
So to validate my post, I checked out the Box Score from Baylor’s struggle against unranked WV last night. While Kim played 10 players, she only got meaningful contributions from....you guessed it.....6 players.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to add an observation. The game tonight reminded me a bit of the 101st game of the win streak. Kia Nurse could barely get around in the 100th win against South Carolina and would not play again until the AAC tournament because of her injured ankle. UCONN nearly lost the game against Tulane (63-60). They just were not in synch without the non-All-American (who is sadly absent from the Wall). She wasn't even a primary scorer. I think that, like tonight, this particular group is just not used to playing without Lou. She completes us (to coin a phrase).
I like that coinage. And a fine compliment to Katie Lou. :D

Reaction Score
So to validate my post, I checked out the Box Score from Baylor’s struggle against unranked WV last night. While Kim played 10 players, she only got meaningful contributions from....you guessed it.....6 players.

@oldude, IMO there's no reason you have to "validate" any of your posts or others, if one (...or the ones always bringing this subject up) would look at any top 10 teams that are struggling for a game you'll notice the same thing. Let's stay with Baylor, couple more examples. Baylor's win over Iowa St (73-60) 6 players with major minutes or how about UConn's loss to Baylor, only 6 players from Baylor saw action. Now that the NCAA's are here, expect even less bench players from all teams.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think we got 4 points from the bench, and that includes ONO. The bench players have been getting serious minutes all season long. Not Coach Geno's fault that they still can't score...
He picked them and he coaches them. It IS his fault.

Reaction Score
Fascinating game. The bench players won the game. Ono was responsible for just about every defensive stop in the fourth quarter. Not bad for a 19 yr old kid. Pheesa is not nearly as effective w/o Lou . Not her fault. The lack of depth is Geno’s fault. The poor recruiting has a terrible cost. Crystal had a good game , at times looking good and at times trying to be a one man team and looking bad. Coombs played her heart out.
Finally USF packed the lane, we couldn’t make a 3 and missed about every bunny ...AND YET WE WON

Reaction Score
Is that permitted?
Yes --- because Stamford and South Carolina are allowed "off years" to reload and redevelop.

UConn is not

So, the expectation is to develop players with limited talents into starter quality - magically, with dragon farts and pixie dust

Or, recruit very good D1 talent and get them to spend 1- 2-3-4 years sitting on the bench playing mop up time for the 5-6 AA's.

Just to make happy the one half of the fan base who doesn't deserve this team to begin with.

Question for everybody ----- how far down the competitive league ladder did Natalie have to go down to become the dominant player in her league.

Truth is , at this level, nobody has a bench. Nobody can withstand an injury to a starter without a major problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom