USF postgame | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USF postgame

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When I was younger, i was always told that almost only counted in horseshoes and handgrenades. :rolleyes:
My dad always told that it only counted in horseshoes, hand-grenades, and sometimes Atom bombs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My dad always told that it only counted in horseshoes, hand-grenades, and sometimes Atom bombs.
That last part is a bit too morbid! :(

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I considered using :rolleyes: but thought my tongue in cheek response was too obvious. Once I saw your response I realized that given some of the recent posts here one can never be too sure. Lesson learned.
When in doubt, always use an emoji. There are too many BY’ers, just like me, who are a little slow on the uptake. ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There you have it, the ultimate doom-n-gloom outlook for next year and beyond...from a Bills Fan?
I guess he forgot that year when we lost the 3 top picks in the WNBA and only 1 top HS recruit was coming in.

Reaction Score
Interesting post , for sure. I like the Roget's reference. Since you have the thesaurus, go back and look for a substitute for "abjuring" . There are many that would better suit your point. One simply cannot abjure a rebound. :rolleyes:

synonyms:
renounce · relinquish · reject · dispense with · forgo · forswear · disavow · abandon · deny · gainsay · disclaim · repudiate · give up · spurn · abnegate

One simply CAN "forgo," "abandon," "spurn," rebounding. Others work, too. ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That last part is a bit too morbid! :(
My dad was stationed in Los Alamos, NM at the beginning of the Manhattan Project before moving to a secret site in the Aleutian Islands. That was a considered dry humor among many people that were part of the process.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
synonyms:
renounce · relinquish · reject · dispense with · forgo · forswear · disavow · abandon · deny · gainsay · disclaim · repudiate · give up · spurn · abnegate

One simply CAN "forgo," "abandon," "spurn," rebounding. Others work, too. ;)
I agree that many words would have been better than abjure. But all these words ,synonyms of abjure , carry the sense of a sort of renunciation on some moral or ethical grounds. I hardly think the Huskies have any solemn moral objection to rebounding. While they certainly failed to gain position or put forth the necessary effort at times, principles likely played little part. :oops:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
My dad was stationed in Los Alamos, NM at the beginning of the Manhattan Project before moving to a secret site in the Aleutian Islands. That was a considered dry humor among many people that were part of the process.
I'll bet it was! Humor allows one to deal with grave issues more easily. Come to think of it, nearly everything, humor included, is dry in Los Alamos. Interesting story about your progenitor. :cool:

Reaction Score
I spent sometime in the Labs at Los Alamos. Drove from Colorado at night. As I ascended the hill I noticed my high beam were showing nothing. No guard rails either. Next AMI drove back and looked at the road from the cliff I don't know 500ft maybe more down and down. My spouse made friends with one of the scientist while in New Oreleans and was shown around Santa fe and environs. Big boy, Fat Man were parked outside. It was late August and cars in the parking lot had 6 or more inches of snow on them.

Reaction Score
Geno has to have an ace or two up his sleeve he’s waiting to play. There is no way he can be satisfied with going into next season only bringing in one player. I guess we’ll find out by the end of the regular signing period in May. Who ever he brings in must be able to come in and help day 1. A graduate assistant would seem to be the answer to his dilemma.

he certainly seemed confident about that in interviews..................Geno can't be counting on graduate transfers yet, I'm assuming he's got a commitment from at least one European player hopefully more..................

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Lol, what will I do if some random poster doesn’t think being logical?

I literally only pointed out that depth has not been a strength the past several seasons. Pointing out the team success during that timeframe doesn’t contradict my statement, so try again.
So...you have no evidence of this “lack of depth” as hurting the team?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As someone who served aboard a Ballistic Missile Nuclear Submarine during the cold war, we were quite familiar with the "Atom Bomb" portion of the saying. "Close" was often substituted for "almost" in our little world.

By cold war, I really mean VN.

Reaction Score
So...you have no evidence of this “lack of depth” as hurting the team?
I’m thinking it could’ve helped in either of the past two Final Fours. And if they had a little more depth, maybe KLS wouldn’t need to rush as much to get back this year from injury.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think that Christyn Williams will be the next AA at UConn, and I truly believe she will make a massive leap next year. She has shown glimpses of being a special player, and seems to have the ability to take over when she wants to.
The doom and gloom posts about next year may be starting, but I think we will have a truly elite backcourt next season. The front court is the huge unknown.
I agree with you re CW. And as you point out, UConn will have one of the premier backcourts in the country next year. "They" say college basketball is a guard's game. If so, there's at least the backcourt to grab on to.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I spent sometime in the Labs at Los Alamos. Drove from Colorado at night. As I ascended the hill I noticed my high beam were showing nothing. No guard rails either. Next AMI drove back and looked at the road from the cliff I don't know 500ft maybe more down and down. My spouse made friends with one of the scientist while in New Oreleans and was shown around Santa fe and environs. Big boy, Fat Man were parked outside. It was late August and cars in the parking lot had 6 or more inches of snow on them.
Friendly edit: It had to have been early August for Big Boy and Fat Man to be outside.

Reaction Score
Friendly edit: It had to have been early August for Big Boy and Fat Man to be outside.
No because before I left it was September About 1967 give or take. U of Cal was running the Lab then. I think I have those pix somewhere I'll ask the spouse, she has everything categorized in her brain.
She showed Dr Zelesney's spouse around New Orlean and was requested to have her join me in Los Aamos.
No snow in Los Alamos then only the cars from the mountains within driving distance. In the Navy when loading the "shape" on alir craft on the carrier Marines with curtains surrounded the Aircraft while it was being attached.
500 miles from no where.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No because before I left it was September About 1967 give or take. U of Cal was running the Lab then. I think I have those pix somewhere I'll ask the spouse, she has everything categorized in her brain.
She showed Dr Zelesney's spouse around New Orlean and was requested to have her join me in Los Aamos.
No snow in Los Alamos then only the cars from the mountains within driving distance. In the Navy when loading the "shape" on alir craft on the carrier Marines with curtains surrounded the Aircraft while it was being attached.
500 miles from no where.
So they were mockups of Big Boy and Fat Man. Right?

Reaction Score
Was tonight senior night for USF? They showed clips of what looked to be such a ceremony that I assume happened before the game? They also showed Geno giving a hug to Ferreira and congratulating the other seniors before the game.

Reaction Score
Yes tonight was Senior Night for USF - injured superstars Laura Ferreira and Kitija Laksa were honored .. if Ferreira[Portugal] & Laksa[Latvia] had played this season, USF would have been a major force, Top-20 at least .. there are 8 international players on the USF roster; Enna Pehadzic[Denmark] led them in scoring [15] last night .. Laksa is available as a graduate transfer next year; it would be a great fit for the Huskies, eh?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Woe, woe, woe! Slow down there my esteemed colleague. USF is not the dreg of our conference and it was an away game, not at home on Senior night. Plus Jose can actually coach a bit unlike the aforementioned Ms. White, who in finishing up year 3 is no better off then when she started.
The surprising aspect about tonight was Pheesa taking illadvised 3 point shots and some questionable 18 footers. She played too much out on the perimeter. I know USF schemed to stop her but Jeesh, she was too invisible! I think we missed KLS more than we expected and how much of a floor maestro she is at getting Pheesa involved.
Overall, I liked Coombs slashing and scoring and her tenacious defense is becoming a staple! Hey, the team was like 2-11 in layups at one point which is unheard of. Geno bit his nose off to spite his face in the 1st half by sitting ONO so much and not playing BT who can rebound very well especially against Radar whose a brute force at times. I didn’t get his Kyla insertion especially when she was burned 2 consecutive times down on switches.
This team is showing a confidence and a can do attitude in closer games due to having more of them and Geno is figuring out who can step up.
I was disappointed Collier was taking so many outside shots but, I started thinking that she was instructed to do that in order to unclog the middle. If she had hit those shots consistently, some one would have had to come out and guard her, then she could drive on anyone who came out to guard her. Then again, if those were not her reasons, it was not smart, imo. Every time she looked as if she was going to shoot a three, I would say to the TV, no, don't shoot that. However, it seemed every time she posted up, she got double or triple teamed, so maybe that was why. Also, KLS' absence had nothing to do with the missed layups and she is not the only one who gets Collier involved. Collier does that on her own by getting open and by hustling down the court and posting up early. That gives anyone on the team who has the ball a chance to get her involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom