USF postgame | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USF postgame

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
you are right about that although hopefully we'll see the sophomore/junior jump.... also I thought Geno said they were expecting to get reinforcements for next year.....

Geno has to have an ace or two up his sleeve he’s waiting to play. There is no way he can be satisfied with going into next season only bringing in one player. I guess we’ll have to wait until the end of the regular signing period in May for the basketball office to announce any additional signings, since they can't comment on any contact or interest in potential recruits or signings until the ink is dry on a letter of intent (LOI).

I’m a firm believer that there are still lots of unsigned high school seniors that are below the radar (non top 100 players) that could help the team next year and beyond, players that would love the opportunity to come to UConn and play for Geno. Keep in mind that there are a lot of players that would come to UConn "IF" offered. Most of the time we only hear about the high profile players that don't.

There’s plenty of time after this season is over to concern ourselves with next year. Right now we are at the threshold of the most important time of the season, post season play.

If UConn runs the table from this point forward, that’s 9 games. I want to put all of my hope, well wishes and prayers for players health and safety on our team and rally behind them these next 9 games. There’s no do overs from this point going forward. Next year will take care of itself. Some team is going to win the NC, why not us?

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next year will be a challenge; I don't expect it to be a nightmare. As Richard Nurse told me in Tenerife about the current season, "Geno will figure it out."

We will miss Lou and Pheesa, lack depth, and lack height, but we'll have perhaps the top PG, two other players ranked #1 in their HS classes, a very long and athletic post player ranked #5, and a very underrated recruit who fits our style of play perfectly. Plus, an athletic defender at guard and a banger inside. All of them will be better next year. Plus, we may add a transfer, grad transfer, and/or foreigner or two.

Keep in mind that N.D. probably loses it's full starting 5, Oregon probably loses Ionescu, and players like Kalani Brown and Asia Durr will be in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Geno has been disappointed with the defense this year, but there are some interesting stats. Admittedly, the slow pace and lack of firepower from USF were factors, but:

USF scored 18 points in the second half, only 4 in the 4th quarter

USF made 5 field goals in the second half, 3 in Q3 and 2 in Q4

USF was shut out for the last 6+ minutes

We just clamped down on them.
Geno played the frosh in 2nd half, ONO in particular, who he normally benches at crunch time. Sometimes necessity leads to new and positive outcomes.

Reaction Score
Some here like to believe only UConn will lose players and not look at the big picture. For the most part ND will lose 4 starters and if Young decides to go to WNBA, that's the starting 5.
Miss. St. lost 4 starters last year and is a likely #1 seed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not permitted to have any contact with her at this point in time. The transfer portal for basketball hasn't opened & she hasn't graduated
But Geno and CD can talk with Jose about her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Miss. St. lost 4 starters last year and is a likely #1 seed.
The key is who Mississippi State didn't lose.

N.D. will be very good if Jackie Young returns, but I'm hearing that she'll leave, as will Sabrina Triple-Double.

Reaction Score
"Wait 'til next year" was a Brooklyn Dodger refrain dating back to the 50s and the hapless Bums.
I’m not that old don’t remember the dodgers

Reaction Score
I understand your worry, but I liken it more to ND losing to NC without Jackie Young than Tenn with 4 AA’s losing to the 2-14 Commodores at home for the 1st time in 38 years, that’s bad!

Mmm, Geno stayed in Florida? Laksa didn’t go to any Bulls games until yesterday vs. UConn? Laksa graduates in May? UConn has a dire need for outside shooting next year? Geno has courted European players before and is now accepting transfers.....interesting set of items to contemplate :rolleyes:

am I correct that Laksa can't talk to any other team/coach until after she registers with the NCAA to transfer?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If only their coach "developed" their bench players more...maybe, just maybe they would have won more super bowls. :D
In the Bills case, it would not be more, so much as any. Their poor fans were so close. Gotta feel for them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno played the frosh in 2nd half, ONO in particular, who he normally benches at crunch time. Sometimes necessity leads to new and positive outcomes.
Reminds me of the old line, “The only way you can find out if someone can swim is to throw them into the deep end of the pool.”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Exactly.

I grabbed my Roget's this morning looking for a stronger word than “ugly” to describe last night's proceedings. “Repulsive” jumped out at me. I suppose that this was another of those wins that Geno says had to be earned not just expected. But at what price? Missing lay-ins, handing the ball to the opposition, abjuring rebounds? (With a smidgen of bad luck mixed in.)

It appeared at first as if everyone was trying to personally compensate for the absence of Lou. The team was playing out of control, especially Christyn and Meg. But even steady Crystal started taking circus shots. It's important to note that Lou is not important just for her scoring; she is a coach on the court who settles and instructs the younger players. She also leads by example, asserting herself in every way she can. 'Pheesa, for all she does, hasn't Lou's aggressive personality.

Geno's first solution was to yank Liv and insert Coombs. Then he injected Kyla for a short time. Finally, when nothing seemed to work, UConn employed its full-court pressure, and that did the trick.

Something good did come out of all this chaos during the second half. For the first time Liv became a force in the middle. She was positively intimidating with her long arms extended and her excellent hands rebounding and deflecting passes; USF steered clear of the center of the defense then, which they had exploited all game long. The combination of defensive pressure and Liv's presence turned the game the Huskies' way. Whew.

As Eric wrote, the game was a look into the future when Lou and 'Pheesa are gone. Scary.
Interesting post , for sure. I like the Roget's reference. Since you have the thesaurus, go back and look for a substitute for "abjuring" . There are many that would better suit your point. One simply cannot abjure a rebound. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think if we were in a P5 league and having to play Louisville, ND, Miss St, Baylor, etc. two or three times every season there would be more losses. We already know this based on our experience with ND in our league, and that's when we had Maya. An off night like last night or against Cincinnati or Tulane most likely results in a loss in a P5 conference where the teams are a bit more talented. Five additional losses probably not, at least not this year, but an extra 2-4 isn't crazy.
Pure URBAN LENGEND! Again you are letting a very memorable loss (somewhat painful) cloud your judgement. The magnificent Maya Moore was 8 and 1 vs ND in her career. She did not suffer a defeat against ND until the final game of her SENIOR year. In both Maya's Junior and Senior years UCONN beat ND 3 times. Remember Maya only lost 4 games at UCONN. Twice to Stanford. Two Big East games to ND and Rutgers-That's it! Her Sophomore and Junior seasons were undefeated back to back seasons.
2010-11 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Connecticut Athletics

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
am I correct that Laksa can't talk to any other team/coach until after she registers with the NCAA to transfer?
This is unclear as it relates to "graduate" transfers & new NCAA transfer portal. Under the old rules she needed to seek permission if the conversations with other schools were to happen prior to her receiving her diploma.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you’re serious or your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek. If it’s the latter, then I’m smiling along with you. If it’s the former then It’s one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical posts I’ve ever read on the BY, and that’s saying a lot.
I considered using :rolleyes: but thought my tongue in cheek response was too obvious. Once I saw your response I realized that given some of the recent posts here one can never be too sure. Lesson learned.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“Wide right”, two words that create more discomfort in Buffalo then either “lake effect” or “white out” in wintertime.
Causes me great discomfort too. Not because I'm a Bills fan. Don't like them at all. However I hate the NY Giants more than any other team in any other sport. (yes that includes TN, the C-word and Tottenham)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure if you’re serious or your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek. If it’s the latter, then I’m smiling along with you. If it’s the former then It’s one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical posts I’ve ever read on the BY, and that’s saying a lot.
I'm going with

2350197149_4a2f82e6a5_z.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I’m a firm believer that there are still lots of unsigned high school seniors that are below the radar (non top 100 players) that could help the team next year, and would love the opportunity to play for Geno.
These >100 players are going to come in next year, as freshmen, and help the team more than Seniors Camara and Irwin (who were both top 100) and Bent??? How so??? And who are they??

Reaction Score
I understand your worry, but I liken it more to ND losing to NC without Jackie Young than Tenn with 4 AA’s losing to the 2-14 Commodores at home for the 1st time in 38 years, that’s bad!

Mmm, Geno stayed in Florida? Laksa didn’t go to any Bulls games until yesterday vs. UConn? Laksa graduates in May? UConn has a dire need for outside shooting next year? Geno has courted European players before and is now accepting transfers.....interesting set of items to contemplate :rolleyes:

:D Besides Jose likes Geno and vice versa, if Laksa wants to go to any team Jose would pack her bags and ship her to Storrs himself...sort of like Gary Blair to his buddy Vic. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The past several years??? Let’s review for your edification:
2013-14 National Champion
2014-15 National Champion
2015-16 National Champion
2016-17 Semi-Finalist Lost in OT
2017-18 Semi-Finalist Lost on last second shot
Do I need to go back further? Bench strength shows one of 2 ways:
Constant losing in-season due to fouls, injury, ineffective play. Not an issue this year as we are 28-2 ranked 2nd overall
Second way is poor follow up seasons from the prior one where players aren’t prepared for new expanded roles-again, given the continued success shown, there is NO EVIDENCE. Show me some facts and I might not think you’re illogical.
Lol, what will I do if some random poster doesn’t think being logical?

I literally only pointed out that depth has not been a strength the past several seasons. Pointing out the team success during that timeframe doesn’t contradict my statement, so try again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom