USF postgame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USF postgame

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has been disappointed with the defense this year, but there are some interesting stats. Admittedly, the slow pace and lack of firepower from USF were factors, but:

USF scored 18 points in the second half, only 4 in the 4th quarter

USF made 5 field goals in the second half, 3 in Q3 and 2 in Q4

USF was shut out for the last 6+ minutes

We just clamped down on them.

Reaction Score
Please archive this and pull it out next December. You don't remember when Lou and Collier were Frosh/Sophs, huh?
CW and Walker, ONO, Coombs, Will all make a significant jump and with more responsibility will stand taller because of it. Who knows, maybe Molly (who has shown some potential) may make the Soph jump as a Senior. Add Audrey and maybe another one or 2--no telling what they may accomplish.
I don't like burying anyone until they are dead.
Correct. Oh, and let's not forget, the competition will lose players also. Gone are: Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Asia Durr, Megan Gustafson, Teaira McCowan, Arike Ogunbowale, Alanna Smith.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Was tonight senior night for USF? They showed clips of what looked to be such a ceremony that I assume happened before the game? They also showed Geno giving a hug to Ferreira and congratulating the other seniors before the game.

Yes it was. Both Laura Ferreira and Kitja Laksa were honored before the game. Laksa made her first appearance since going down with the ACL. She was walking pretty good.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yes it was. Both Laura Ferreira and Kitja Laksa were honored before the game. Laksa made her first appearance since going down with the ACL. She was walking pretty good.
She hasnt been on the bench for any game since the injury?

Reaction Score
This is the result of the coaching staff putting no effort into developing its bench for years now - when the team loses a single player, they’re going to struggle to beat an undermanned USF team.

Two players who have had the chance have not gotten better. One had glue on the bottom of her sneakers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I was Batouly, I would leave after this year after getting passed over tonight. She played well on Saturday. He doesn't deserve to have her back next year. She can play right away somewhere else next year.
She played a lot of minutes on Saturday. Perhaps her knees were sore tonight. I want more info.

Reaction Score
I think that Christyn Williams will be the next AA at UConn, and I truly believe she will make a massive leap next year. She has shown glimpses of being a special player, and seems to have the ability to take over when she wants to.

She played huge against ND, was a key factor in the 4th quarter comeback to Oklahoma, had some big shots in the 4th quarter against Baylor to position UConn to have a chance, and was the key to the 4th quarter separation tonight.

Yes she has been consistently inconsistent this season, but I think she will be the best player on next years team. She has struggled as a freshman, but has all of the tools to be the next member of the 2000 point club. The doom and gloom posts about next year may be starting, but I think we will have a truly elite backcourt next season. The front court is the huge unknown.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
almost our Vanderbilt. Whew.
Woe, woe, woe! Slow down there my esteemed colleague. USF is not the dreg of our conference and it was an away game, not at home on Senior night. Plus Jose can actually coach a bit unlike the aforementioned Ms. White, who in finishing up year 3 is no better off then when she started.
The surprising aspect about tonight was Pheesa taking illadvised 3 point shots and some questionable 18 footers. She played too much out on the perimeter. I know USF schemed to stop her but Jeesh, she was too invisible! I think we missed KLS more than we expected and how much of a floor maestro she is at getting Pheesa involved.
Overall, I liked Coombs slashing and scoring and her tenacious defense is becoming a staple! Hey, the team was like 2-11 in layups at one point which is unheard of. Geno bit his nose off to spite his face in the 1st half by sitting ONO so much and not playing BT who can rebound very well especially against Radar whose a brute force at times. I didn’t get his Kyla insertion especially when she was burned 2 consecutive times down on switches.
This team is showing a confidence and a can do attitude in closer games due to having more of them and Geno is figuring out who can step up.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Coach Lou with the half time speech

“Ok gals, we’re up against it, the breaks aren’t going our way, I want you to go out there and win one for the Gimper”. Go get ‘em. The rest, as they say is history!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
After the comments Geno made Saturday I am sure he would have played Batouly tonight if she was capable. My guess is the quick turn around is not something her body can deal with. I have not seen any information that indicates she will ever be able to play at the level she has in the past - actually I have not seen any information that gives an indication of what she may be capable of in the future. When I saw her on the bench tonight she was cheering the team on as much as anyone.

I hope that over the summer her body recovers to the point she can contribute next year but my expectations are not high. She appears to be a hard worker and great teammate and I hope she is enjoying her time with the team.

Reaction Score
Both Kyla and Molly did not play well and made plenty of mistakes while they were in, but I have noticed that they never seem to get the wrath of Geno when they are yanked and sent to the bench like what happened with CW and ONO. Seems kind of odd, but maybe it is an expectation thing.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I didn't realize Laura Ferreira was effectively out of basketball due to a heart ailment. I missed her in the past USF games. Not a consistent shooter, but a good defender. Nice gesture to have her in at the beginning of the game to get a field goal. Was she the only player who scored a layup in the first half?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Woe, woe, woe! Slow down there my esteemed colleague. USF is not the dreg of our conference and it was an away game, not at home on Senior night. Plus Jose can actually coach a bit unlike the aforementioned Ms. White, who in finishing up year 3 is no better off then when she started.
The surprising aspect about tonight was Pheesa taking illadvised 3 point shots and some questionable 18 footers. She played too much out on the perimeter. I know USF schemed to stop her but Jeesh, she was too invisible! I think we missed KLS more than we expected and how much of a floor maestro she is at getting Pheesa involved.
Overall, I liked Coombs slashing and scoring and her tenacious defense is becoming a staple! Hey, the team was like 2-11 in layups at one point which is unheard of. Geno bit his nose off to spite his face in the 1st half by sitting ONO so much and not playing BT who can rebound very well especially against Radar whose a brute force at times. I didn’t get his Kyla insertion especially when she was burned 2 consecutive times down on switches.
This team is showing a confidence and a can do attitude in closer games due to having more of them and Geno is figuring out who can step up.

While the exact quality of the teams may not be the same, we are also alot better and more is expected of us that TN (even without Lou)

A USF win would have been the same (or worse) shock to the WCBB community as Vandy's win had. You know, the first time we lost to USF, the first AAC loss ever, first loss to an unseeded team since xxxxx.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Although there was some criticism in chat about holding out Olivia for most of the first half, it may not necessarily have been a doghouse thing. She's highly prone to fouls, and Geno might have thought he needed her with more fouls to give in the second half, where UConn could make a come-back run. Still, he did seem to be barking at her harshly the first time she sat in the first half.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
This is the result of the coaching staff putting no effort into developing its bench for years now - when the team loses a single player, they’re going to struggle to beat an undermanned USF team.
Yup, your right, they’ve completely slacked off only going 137-4 over the last 4 years. No development and poor coaching is exactly how I define UConn Women’s Basketball. And now back to are regularly schedule discussions that apply logic, real understanding and positive enjoyment....Head bang

Reaction Score
This is such baloney. We have no idea what her circumstances were tonight.
You’re right about our having no idea what’s going on with Touly. It’s only natural to wonder why she played 13 minutes last game and then 0 tonight in a game where others were struggling. Whenever the discussion of Touly’s playing time comes up some here say we shouldn’t expect more info because of HIPPA rules. Okay, but wouldn’t it be nice to give the loyal fans a little information. I can’t imagine a player on an athletic scholarship objecting to the release of some basic info if it concerns an injury limiting her ability to play her sport. We hear about player injuries and surgeries all the time. I wouldn’t expect more info when there is some other type of medical illness .

Reaction Score
I know I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to add an observation. The game tonight reminded me a bit of the 101st game of the win streak. Kia Nurse could barely get around in the 100th win against South Carolina and would not play again until the AAC tournament because of her injured ankle. UCONN nearly lost the game against Tulane (63-60). They just were not in synch without the non-All-American (who is sadly absent from the Wall). She wasn't even a primary scorer. I think that, like tonight, this particular group is just not used to playing without Lou. She completes us (to coin a phrase).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While the exact quality of the teams may not be the same, we are also alot better and more is expected of us that TN (even without Lou)

A USF win would have been the same (or worse) shock to the WCBB community as Vandy's win had. You know, the first time we lost to USF, the first AAC loss ever, first loss to an unseeded team since xxxxx.

The more I think about your example (PM) of ND (without Jackie Young) vs NC, the more I agree that a loss to USF on their home turf without Lou would be more comparable than Vandy's win over TN at in a must win game in their house.

Still, the coverage from the press to our (UConn :eek::eek::eek:) loss probably would have been worse for us than ND.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Some are showing improvement,and it seems to come to mind,that a girl we called Stewie didn't really start to come into her own as a freshman until at or near tournament time.I do not think that Geno is softening up,but is realizing that confidence for some comes from being supportive,and these two girls may be the ones that need that.Their defense is getting better and better,and they do not need to score always to help this team go far.The defense will surely help against taller and faster teams.I would hope we would give these girls a little slack rather than burn them at the stake every time they do not light up the board with superstar stats.Liv,especially has a very bright future at this school.The scoring will come,mark my words.

Reaction Score
The bench - Olivia and Coombs played great tonight, probably the reason we won. I think we were in trouble because Pheesa stumbled on a night where we didn't have her balance from Lou.

I was rooting for Liv to step up her game when Geno was yelling at her in the first half. I already knew Coombs would do so.

Once Liv gets her confidence up as far as offense goes then she'll be set. Tremendous potential there!

Hang in there, Liv!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some are showing improvement,and it seems to come to mind,that a girl we called Stewie didn't really start to come into her own as a freshman until at or near tournament time.I do not think that Geno is softening up,but is realizing that confidence for some comes from being supportive,and these two girls may be the ones that need that.Their defense is getting better and better,and they do not need to score always to help this team go far.The defense will surely help against taller and faster teams.I would hope we would give these girls a little slack rather than burn them at the stake every time they do not light up the board with superstar stats.Liv,especially has a very bright future at this school.The scoring will come,mark my words.

I think the misses on offense were just nerves from being without Katie for the first time. They make all those layups next game with or without Katie.

Got the bad game out of the way now...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom