US Open 2023 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

US Open 2023

Reaction Score
Another Major choke job by Rory. Bogies the Par 5 coming home?? This tourney was his to lose and that's what he did.

Disappointing to see Scheffler not challenge. I kinda knew Rickie would wilt. He doesn't have the game to win a Major.

Overall, this was a poor course and setup. Day 1 basically determined who would contend. After that, the course wasn't setup for major runs or swings. The energy was completely lacking.

Ok so you hate Rory we get it lol. You can’t say Rory choked and not say the same about Scottie. They both burned the edges all day for birdies problem was they couldn’t hit enough darts to be putting from close. No one hit too many darts yesterday there was hardly any spin backs of relevance most greens played more like The Open. The course looked like it was going to be a joke after day 1, not so much by the weekend.

Wyndham has quite the cut (huge fade almost slice) but the course played to that strength. If he can’t draw the ball we won’t see a lot of him in any consistent manner but the kid held strong, happy for him!

Rickie choked, not Rory.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, the fairways were way too wide. I believe I read 70 yards wide while the average for a US Open is 45 yards. Obviously led to such low scores for a Us Open.

The course needed perdectly dry weather, sun and about 8-10 mph wind to compensate for the blah course itself.

The marine layer on day amd day two made that course soft and with fairways as wide as they are at LACC, it a recipe for John Deere tournament level scoring.

Which is to say LACC isn’t a US Open track. It a one-trick pony dependent upon perfect weather to make the course challenging.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember when that meant death for the tournament the following week?

Travelers did an incrwdible job reinventing itself. Borderline miraculous as tourney was beyonf life support and had flatlined.

Three things resuscitated the Travelers.

First, they made one of the best practuce areas on tour. US Open exposes any weakness on your game so giving players the ability to practice those weak areas immediately was huge.
Second, they took care of the ayers families and made it very family friendly.
Finally, chartered flights from US Open site to Hartford was a great idea, especially when a flight is required.

Reaction Score
Ricky is hardly Corey Pavin when he was a Top 10 player he had no issue with distance could hit it out there with the best of them. He’s lost a little in his swing change but length is not the issue, that is what sits on his shoulders. Here’s hoping he keeps it together would be a great story.
Still top 30 in driving distance! Couple more yards he'd be in top 20.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the US Open will be back there any time soon. US Women's Open, Senior US Open, maybe.

USGA loves the Pacific Time zone because of the prime time hours for Fri-Sun but they are limited onbwhich courses they can use or want to use.

Torrey Pines, Pebble, Olympic Club are all fine. Sorry Chambers Bay but you are literally a dump.

Back to Pinehurst next year.
Chambers got a bad deal, that is a much better course than what the USGA did to it that week. I would love to see it get another chance. It is so much better than Torrey, if you gave me 10 rounds to play I would take 10 at Chambers and 0 at Torrey.

Also, for the all the people who bet Cantlay, just stop, don't do it again, you're throwing your money away on him in majors.

Reaction Score
Ok so you hate Rory we get it lol. You can’t say Rory choked and not say the same about Scottie. They both burned the edges all day for birdies problem was they couldn’t hit enough darts to be putting from close. No one hit too many darts yesterday there was hardly any spin backs of relevance most greens played more like The Open. The course looked like it was going to be a joke after day 1, not so much by the weekend.

Wyndham has quite the cut (huge fade almost slice) but the course played to that strength. If he can’t draw the ball we won’t see a lot of him in any consistent manner but the kid held strong, happy for him!

Rickie choked, not Rory.
It’s called a power fade when it’s 350 yds. Mine is the almost slice.

Reaction Score
Chambers got a bad deal, that is a much better course than what the USGA did to it that week. I would love to see it get another chance. It is so much better than Torrey, if you gave me 10 rounds to play I would take 10 at Chambers and 0 at Torrey.

Also, for the all the people who bet Cantlay, just stop, don't do it again, you're throwing your money away on him in majors.
Cantlay is Kuchar 2.0. lots of wins and Top 10s, but won't win a Major.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom