US Open 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US Open 2023

Reaction Score
I have Cam Smith as my 1 and done
Hit Schef Rahm and Brooks so far, so cam will MC after I type that.

Lots of scoreable holes and beasts out there.

To me it looks like a cross between Riviera and Shinnecock Hills, minus the fescue

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, there's this.

Greens are meh. Not masive undulation which means average putters who get hot have a chance. Or, great putters just pour in putts all weekend.

They've been compared to Pinehurst whereas actual size and useable size are massively different.

In the fairway, on the green. Make a few putts.

-4 seems great.

Reaction Score
Brooks is still the man! Well rested, fresh off of the PGA and solid Master experience. Jordan can't seem to play four good rounds anymore. He gets rattled too easily. No dark horses will win here. Rory is a big ? mark, he can't seem to shed being the political player vs the on course player. Getting off to good starts is the key in majors. The fields are much too deep for a sloppy first round comeback.

Reaction Score
Lol

I’ve played it as well…..so what?? I played my college golf at UConn, where did you play yours?? And I’m not talking about hacking it around with your buddies.
Cool, want to caddie for me at the Mid-Am qualifier on August 7th at George Wright? Laughing about your basketball takes will keep me loose. PM if interested.

Reaction Score
Unattractive? Curious to know why. This place has it all
Agree on nbc coverage. Morgan pressel is useless and they’re flooding the broadcast with commercials

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very unattractive track....NBC coverage is horrible too...
Totally disagree on the course. I think it’s been a really interesting course so far. Very curious to see if they dial up the pain for the rest of the rounds.

Reaction Score
USGA has to be embarrassed. Leaders putting up -8 scores. Over par scores are concerned bad?? This is the US Open, the hardest test in golf, not the Phoenix open!! I hope they can do something about pin placements or speeding up the greens.

Reaction Score
Unattractive? Curious to know why. This place has it all
Agree on nbc coverage. Morgan pressel is useless and they’re flooding the broadcast with commercials
As we know, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... The midrise buildings visible in almost every camera view really enhance it's attractiveness (NOT!) ; and the ratty sand/waste areas with weeds (fescue, not so much) running amuck...reminds me of Bethpage Black in the 80s BEFORE they overhauled it: it was a proverbial goat track.
Please define "it all".

Reaction Score
Seems like the players in early groups are not posting great scores. Tougher pin placements?

Reaction Score
As we know, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... The midrise buildings visible in almost every camera view really enhance it's attractiveness (NOT!) ; and the ratty sand/waste areas with weeds (fescue, not so much) running amuck...reminds me of Bethpage Black in the 80s BEFORE they overhauled it: it was a proverbial goat track.
Please define "it all".
I actually really love the city courses like this where you can see the buildings in the background. Greens are interesting, which combined with some of the rough around the greens has already led to some real creative short game challenges. Couldn't disagree with you more on the waste areas. Look great and add some really unique challenges if you get in trouble. And of course the bunkers are awesome and seem to actually be penal, unlike the vast majority of courses we see. I'm hoping they dial it on the weekend when pace of play isn't as big of a concern.

Reaction Score
Seems like the players in early groups are not posting great scores. Tougher pin placements?
Heard on PGA Tour radio telecast(Sirius) this aft that the greens were "double cut" before they were rolled last night.. Cranking up the speed and limiting the water on them will firm them up heading into weekend..

Reaction Score
So, there's this.

Greens are meh. Not masive undulation which means average putters who get hot have a chance. Or, great putters just pour in putts all weekend.

They've been compared to Pinehurst whereas actual size and useable size are massively different.

In the fairway, on the green. Make a few putts.

-4 seems great.
They were saying 13.5 on the stimp today.

Reaction Score
Koepka slammed the Course tonight. Wow. When the #1 player in golf/Majors has bad things to say, not a good look. This is not playing like a U.S. Open should be. Too "tricked up", not many decisions, lots of awkward shots, etc. But most of all, players should NOT be putting up such low scores half-way through. This is supposed to be the hardest test in golf with winning scores -5 or worse and not many players over par. Jack and Tom Watson probably shaking their heads at this setup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Koepka slammed the Course tonight. Wow.
1686958278850.png

Reaction Score
I actually really love the city courses like this where you can see the buildings in the background. Greens are interesting, which combined with some of the rough around the greens has already led to some real creative short game challenges. Couldn't disagree with you more on the waste areas. Look great and add some really unique challenges if you get in trouble. And of course the bunkers are awesome and seem to actually be penal, unlike the vast majority of courses we see. I'm hoping they dial it on the weekend when pace of play isn't as big of a concern.
To each his own!

Reaction Score
Brooks talks out of both sides of his mouth

Pulling for Rory and would be happy for Rick but I think Scottie comes back and gets it done.

And yes this course demands all the shots. A real test

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And yes this course demands all the shots. A real test
And the Leester has the answers!

ADD: I can cash out my $6 bet for $8.28. That's >33% profit. But I'm lettin' it ride!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NBC woman announcer's voice is SO annoying! Where is Dottie Pepper when we need her?

Reaction Score
Koepka slammed the Course tonight. Wow. When the #1 player in golf/Majors has bad things to say, not a good look. This is not playing like a U.S. Open should be. Too "tricked up", not many decisions, lots of awkward shots, etc. But most of all, players should NOT be putting up such low scores half-way through. This is supposed to be the hardest test in golf with winning scores -5 or worse and not many players over par. Jack and Tom Watson probably shaking their heads at this setup.

Apparently the headlines were wildly overblown.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Course is so tight they only allow 22k on site each day and only 9k for general public.

Not a fan of that for US Open. Need courses who can logistically support 35k-45k each day.

Zero buzz on the course right now.

Reaction Score
Course is so tight they only allow 22k on site each day and only 9k for general public.

Not a fan of that for US Open. Need courses who can logistically support 35k-45k each day.

Zero buzz on the course right now.
My buddy was out there yesterday and said the atmosphere was totally dead.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rickie and Clark get paired again tomorrow in final group. Scheffler and Rory in second to last group.

One of those four will be winner.

Fun day tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom