US Open 2023 | The Boneyard

US Open 2023

Reaction Score
US Open week which means we get our first view at LACC in tournament conditions (Walker Cup doesn't count). Thrilled to see what they do with 17 all week, love a short par 3 where guys have to saw off wedges. Front right pin placement there would be devilish.
Homa holds the course record there, but not sure how much that matters when conditions will be drastically different. He hasn't proved it in majors yet either.
Think Spieth could be a good play here; having one of his best driving seasons of his career and we know his short game can win him a major (or lose him one too).
Still not seeing enough with the putter from Scottie. He's having a historic ball striking season, matched with putting skills that mirror me.

I have winner coming out of these four...Rahm/Brooks/Spieth/Matsuyama

Reaction Score
US Open week which means we get our first view at LACC in tournament conditions (Walker Cup doesn't count). Thrilled to see what they do with 17 all week, love a short par 3 where guys have to saw off wedges. Front right pin placement there would be devilish.
Homa holds the course record there, but not sure how much that matters when conditions will be drastically different. He hasn't proved it in majors yet either.
Think Spieth could be a good play here; having one of his best driving seasons of his career and we know his short game can win him a major (or lose him one too).
Still not seeing enough with the putter from Scottie. He's having a historic ball striking season, matched with putting skills that mirror me.

I have winner coming out of these four...Rahm/Brooks/Spieth/Matsuyama
Rory

Reaction Score
Rory
I would love a Rory win but I can't get on the bandwagon. Hasn't won a major in his last 32 starts. Bomb and gauge only works when you can hit wedges tight, which he's lacking right now

Reaction Score
I'm officially in protest mode and will not watch a single shot.
I love to watch OUR Open, and THE Open. Unfortunately, I will have a lot of stuff to do to keep me from watching as much as I'd like. Not really rooting for anyone, but I hope LIV doesn't show as well here. Brooks will be tough as always though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about Vik?

My only bet so far is $6 on Min Woo Lee. Because the guy's name is Min Woo Lee. +9000

Reaction Score
Saw a clip of a ball dropped into the rough, it was gone, barely even visible. Most accurate driver will win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like the California guys and those who have played the west coast style courses with success.

I'm expecting heavyweights here and like Xander, Cantley, Rahm, and, well, Koepka. Even Phil can do well here if he can keep his tee shots in play.

Thegaala was born in the area and went to Pepperdine. I'd expect him to do well too.

Other darkhorse is a resurgent Rickie Fowler. He's had a ton of Top 20's and he's one of the better players around the green.
Spieth seems like a good pick but he's got the hand/wrist problem and one aggressive shot out of the cabbage can wreck his week.

The pool I'm in with random draws of Top 20 players is Rahm. I'm plenty good with that.

Reaction Score
I would love a Rory win but I can't get on the bandwagon. Hasn't won a major in his last 32 starts. Bomb and gauge only works when you can hit wedges tight, which he's lacking right now
Get ready for the Rory choke show again. Biggest choker since Greg Norman. With all his top 10s, can't close the deal on Sundays.

Reaction Score
Saw a clip of a ball dropped into the rough, it was gone, barely even visible. Most accurate driver will win.
That was a cute tick tock that is not an accurate representation of the course, the rough is not that punishing nor is there a lot of it. This is not the dumpster fire that Wing Foot was.

It's a course that requires mid to long iron play and high percent of GIRs. It is more Pinehurst then Wing Foot or Torey.

Reaction Score
I like the California guys and those who have played the west coast style courses with success.

I'm expecting heavyweights here and like Xander, Cantley, Rahm, and, well, Koepka. Even Phil can do well here if he can keep his tee shots in play.

Thegaala was born in the area and went to Pepperdine. I'd expect him to do well too.

Other darkhorse is a resurgent Rickie Fowler. He's had a ton of Top 20's and he's one of the better players around the green.
Spieth seems like a good pick but he's got the hand/wrist problem and one aggressive shot out of the cabbage can wreck his week.

The pool I'm in with random draws of Top 20 players is Rahm. I'm plenty good with that.
What is a CA course?

Of the last 3 CA courses to host a US Open, Pebble, Torrey, and LACC, they are all completely different. None are even the same type of grass.

Reaction Score
That was a cute tick tock that is not an accurate representation of the course, the rough is not that punishing nor is there a lot of it. This is not the dumpster fire that Wing Foot was.

It's a course that requires mid to long iron play and high percent of GIRs. It is more Pinehurst then Wing Foot or Torey.
You lose all credibility by referring to Winged Foot as Wing Foot……not once but twice

Reaction Score
You lose all credibility by referring to Winged Foot as Wing Foot……not once but twice
Cool. Typos/auto correct from a phone happen. Your basketball takes, unfortunately for you, cant be excused by that.

I have played LACC twice, but why don't you tell me about the course?

If your golf knowledge is on par with your basketball knowledge I am quite excited for the takes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What is a CA course?

Of the last 3 CA courses to host a US Open, Pebble, Torrey, and LACC, they are all completely different. None are even the same type of grass.

I'd suggest LACC is most like Riviera. Not just grass but knowing how the mir ing marine layer can just kill distance. It's the iptical illusion of hills, ocean and how everything breaks and falls.

Of course each course has its own characteristics but I think knowing how to play in So Cal and knowing how these courses are different in June than they are in Feb-Apr during Cali swing will go a long way.

Feel free to disagree. I'm fine with others viewing things differently

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Course is slow and greens are fast. I’ve got Tom Watson

Reaction Score
Cool. Typos/auto correct from a phone happen. Your basketball takes, unfortunately for you, cant be excused by that.

I have played LACC twice, but why don't you tell me about the course?

If your golf knowledge is on par with your basketball knowledge I am quite excited for the takes.
Lol

I’ve played it as well…..so what?? I played my college golf at UConn, where did you play yours?? And I’m not talking about hacking it around with your buddies.

Reaction Score
Lol

I’ve played it as well…..so what?? I played my college golf at UConn, where did you play yours?? And I’m not talking about hacking it around with your buddies.

You’re doing this because he typed “Wing Foot” instead of “Winged”? I’m not sure he’s the one that looks like the bozo here. But that’s sick that you played golf in college. Awesome stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom