Undefeated Mississippi St. wins over LadyVols | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Undefeated Mississippi St. wins over LadyVols

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought the roads were icy and snowy back in that part of the country. Temps in teens for folks who dont deal with that stuff that much,

Clemson doesn't draw well for MBB, let alone WBB. In fact, they just shrank the number of seats in Port-O-John Coliseum.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Clemson doesn't draw well for MBB, let alone WBB. In fact, they just shrank the number of seats in Port-O-John Coliseum.

But how many did they draw for the Clemson-South Carolina football game ? :cool::p;)

Reaction Score
Vivians was #36 recruit in my aggregation calculations, based on:

#40 ASGR
#64 ProspectsNation
#84 BlueStar
# 6 FullCourt
#24 Hoopgurlz

Reaction Score
Just a thought: I know it will never happen, but I would love to see UConn play TN in the tournament. Not just because it would be a beat-down, but because it would provide some perspective to those who believe the level of basketball played by the Tennessees and Mississippi States is somewhere near the level played by UConn. It's not, and it would be great to demonstrate that.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
But how many did they draw for the Clemson-South Carolina football game ? :cool::p;)

FB is the only sport that draws well at Clemson; USC is in the top 20 in just about every sport in attendance, including top 5 in a number of them.

Reaction Score
FB is the only sport that draws well at Clemson; USC is in the top 20 in just about every sport in attendance, including top 5 in a number of them.
Clemson was 9th for average baseball attendance in 2015. Aren't we a little biased here?

Reaction Score

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Clemson was 9th for average baseball attendance in 2015. Aren't we a little biased here?

SC was 4th in baseball attendance and 1st in WBB attendance, etc. Am I biased? Of course I am - they're our arch-rivals.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
FB is the only sport that draws well at Clemson;

tiger.jpg

They will continue to draw well after tonight :);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:

A-C-C !! A-C-C !! :cool:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The effort was there. Just need to clean up the fouls, turn overs, and guard 3 ball better. It didnt help Nared and Reynolds got in foul tro6. at the moment Mercedes is leading the team in scoring.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Despite being undefeated Miss St is not the 4th best team in the country. Not sure they are in the Top 10. Lady Vols despite their loss should be in the Top 25. They are playing better and should be ranked.

If Miss St ends up in UConn's bracket I can see another blow out. Won't be a 60 point blowout, but UConn wins by 25+ points.
I beg to disagree with some of your posits. They are probably not the 4th best team but are definitely a top 10 team. They are better than Ohio State, Washington, Louisville and other 7-11 teams. Tennessee has been up and down with some good wins, some decent showings and some really bad losses. With 6 AA's though they are drastically underachieving. They deserve their ranking with their poor record despite their playing well lately. Let's see some more consistency before we place them in top 25.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm biased but I would take Washington over MS State.

Reaction Score
Vivians wasn't a McDAA? If so, the fact that Vivians wasn't a HS All-American is also alarming here. I believe she put up over 5,000 points during her high school playing career.. that's absolutely insane.
Maybe you have to be a team member to get nominated and not be the whole team. :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting looking at Miss State stats - last year Vivians was taking 27% of the shots which is down to 25% now, but the percentages are still not great - last year she shot .382/.309 and this year it is .406/.309. The surprising thing is 10 of her 12 teammates shoot a higher percentage than she does this year and the team is .468/.425 but she shoots more than anyone else on twos and threes - she has shot 261 times, the next highest is 124, and threes she has shot 97 while the two next highest have shot 54 each.
I understand that she likely gets more defensive attention than others and is their 'offensive engine' but how can a coach look at those numbers and not try to lower her shot totals.

Those are the kind of numbers that drive me crazy with players like Diamond as well. And you contrast that to a player like Plum.

Reaction Score
Interesting looking at Miss State stats - last year Vivians was taking 27% of the shots which is down to 25% now, but the percentages are still not great - last year she shot .382/.309 and this year it is .406/.309. The surprising thing is 10 of her 12 teammates shoot a higher percentage than she does this year and the team is .468/.425 but she shoots more than anyone else on twos and threes - she has shot 261 times, the next highest is 124, and threes she has shot 97 while the two next highest have shot 54 each.
I understand that she likely gets more defensive attention than others and is their 'offensive engine' but how can a coach look at those numbers and not try to lower her shot totals.

Given the dropoff in talent in WCBB, I always wonder if those stats are as meaningful.
Do the other players only shoot when they have a sure thing? When the shotclock is running down do they all wait for Vivians to take a shot?
Not all shots are equal.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The effort was there. Just need to clean up the fouls, turn overs, and guard 3 ball better. It didnt help Nared and Reynolds got in foul tro6. at the moment Mercedes is leading the team in scoring.
Yes, Tennessee is a great team except for the turnovers, poor defensive position (fouls), poor shooting, and horrible assist to turnover ratio. Other than that, they're fabulous.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, Tennessee is a great team except for the turnovers, poor defensive position (fouls), turnovers, poor shooting, and horrible assist to turnover ratio. Other than that, they're fabulous.
You observe what we all see. What this alludes to is poor coaching. How you can have that many all americans who look and play as confused as they do is a bit mystifying. And to listen to Holly's press conferences... "They look great in practice. I just don't know". Head bang

I do, Holly... ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Key word, SHOULD
You lost me. You made a declaration that I don't understand the logic on. Last year the games between these two was 7 and 14 points both in USC favor. This year Massey has 71-64 and MSU has played a descent schedule of teams. Other than UConn, ever other top team plays mostly mid major until conference. I am trying to understand the basis of you opinion. Now if you just want to be snarky, I can play along with that too.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You lost me. You made a declaration that I don't understand the logic on. Last year the games between these two was 7 and 14 points both in USC favor. This year Massey has 71-64 and MSU has played a descent schedule of teams. Other than UConn, ever other top team plays mostly mid major until conference. I am trying to understand the basis of you opinion. Now if you just want to be snarky, I can play along with that too.

One key difference is that the 2 games last year were in Starkville and at the SECT; this year's regular season game is in Columbia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vivians wasn't a McDAA? If so, the fact that Vivians wasn't a HS All-American is also alarming here. I believe she put up over 5,000 points during her high school playing career.. that's absolutely insane.
Here's some info on Vivians. Her HS team appeared to play a large number of games, and the competition may have been weak in Mississippi, but her scoring stats were beyond insane. These numbers blow away the stats by Charde Houston, Shanna Zolman, Jackie Young, et al.

Scored 5,745 points in her illustrious career, smashing former Bulldog Mary Kathryn Govero’s state record by 700 points… Ranks second in NFHS history with 5,172 points, but would be first if the association recognized her eighth-grade point total… Led the nation with a 46.2 scoring average in her final high school season, a mark that bettered her own state record and ranked fifth in national high school records… Tallied 1,617 points as a senior, best in state history regardless of gender, and 1,470 as a junior, the third- and fifth-most in national high school records… Ranks second in NFHS history with 1,862 made field goals her freshman through senior seasons… Scored 68 points against Newton in the south state semifinals, tying the girls state record… Ranked second in the nation with 39.7 ppg as a junior... Also led the nation in scoring as a sophomore, averaging 37.0 ppg.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont care about Holly, pouting, slumped shoulders etc. you have the talent you should be winning just because... why waste time even going out on the court if you want/expect to lose and not play hard.

you can have off shooting nights, slumps etc. but your talent will normally get you over the hump against average teams.

doesn't seem like Holly will yank anyone so just do what you need to do to win the game... some games you dont even need a coach but I guess Holly has to take the heat for these players. Its not like they are 12 yrs old and you have to coach them up to be competitive but maybe you do smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom