UConn v. Florida International Panthers @ Rentschler Field (Saturday 9/16/23 @ 3:30p on CBSSN) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Florida International Panthers @ Rentschler Field (Saturday 9/16/23 @ 3:30p on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
We’ll see moving down the road, but seemingly a lesson learned (staff/player capabilities)
I am a big proponent of rest. As I heard in the car once, a conversation many years ago between biathletes: "George, do you want to be a race horse or a workhorse?" The reference was to the concept of fewer high intensity workouts with more rest in between.

Reaction Score
Coaches overthinking the plan. Sorry, not buying that is actually what was meant. Have you ever coached any sport at any level? Coaches overthinking a plan sounds totally bizarre. Unless they drilled on sophisticated nuanced things rather than just using KISS and giving them a light day. Did you happen to see anything the Huskies were doing that fell into that category? Because no one has remarked upon it to date if they were.
Nice way of saying OC had his head up his …

Reaction Score
Coaches overthinking the plan. Sorry, not buying that is actually what was meant. Have you ever coached any sport at any level? Coaches overthinking a plan sounds totally bizarre. Unless they drilled on sophisticated nuanced things rather than just using KISS and giving them a light day. Did you happen to see anything the Huskies were doing that fell into that category? Because no one has remarked upon it to date if they were.

Listen to press conference Tuthill. Stop trying to be so Galaxy brain.

He said work expands to the time available and maybe they got too creative.

Paraphrasing Mora sounded like they strayed beyond KISS.

Reaction Score
Listen to press conference Tuthill. Stop trying to be so Galaxy brain.

He said work expands to the time available and maybe they got too creative.

Paraphrasing Mora sounded like they strayed beyond KISS.
Hahaha, I have no idea what Galaxy brain even means.

This topic has already received more effort than it's worth.

They just gotta beat FLIU, that's all that's important. And they better start having a real passing attack if for no other reason that Duke is in 11 days.

Reaction Score

Backdoor <<

-> "It's definitely frustrating," UConn sophomore running back Victor Rosa said Tuesday. "It's a lack of execution. Last year we were able to run the ball and we have to get back to that. We're going to get things going.

"Mental errors here and there, physical errors here and there, just getting beat at the point of contact. In our running back room, our eyes are in the wrong spot here and there. We need to tighten things up." <-

Reaction Score
Walker

OR

Fortin

We have a weakness at this position over 2 games. Needs to change.
I would also seek to play Niemenski more, his run blocking last year was better than what we have seen from the others.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Backdoor <<

-> "It's definitely frustrating," UConn sophomore running back Victor Rosa said Tuesday. "It's a lack of execution. Last year we were able to run the ball and we have to get back to that. We're going to get things going.

"Mental errors here and there, physical errors here and there, just getting beat at the point of contact. In our running back room, our eyes are in the wrong spot here and there. We need to tighten things up." <-

When one reporter noted Tuesday that the offensive line has played "poorly," Mora didn't quite agree with the wording but had no issue with the characterization. "When you consider the expectations, that's a fair statement to make," Mora said. "I wouldn't go as strong as poorly, but you absolutely can. That's the observation because we have high expectations for that group.

"Sometimes you wonder if they got big-headed, but no. They work. They care. You'd be surprised how much extra work they put in on their own. It hasn't jelled for us yet. We've evaluated them and we're going to make sure we get them doing what they do best. That's my job."

This coupled with the "overthinking" comment is interesting. I'm thinking we see a back to basics running game against FIU with more runs between the tackles.

CL82

Reaction Score
Might I respectfully suggest that the problem with the running game is the passing game?
I like what I saw last week with Roberson's passing. A little more zip on the ball than Fagnano. We will have to see how he does where a little more touch is required. I think Roberson's threat to run should create easier passing opportunities.

Reaction Score
When one reporter noted Tuesday that the offensive line has played "poorly," Mora didn't quite agree with the wording but had no issue with the characterization. "When you consider the expectations, that's a fair statement to make," Mora said. "I wouldn't go as strong as poorly, but you absolutely can. That's the observation because we have high expectations for that group.

"Sometimes you wonder if they got big-headed, but no. They work. They care. You'd be surprised how much extra work they put in on their own. It hasn't jelled for us yet. We've evaluated them and we're going to make sure we get them doing what they do best. That's my job."

This coupled with the "overthinking" comment is interesting. I'm thinking we see a back to basics running game against FIU with more runs between the tackles.
This could be the problem.. you need a good center and a big running back to run between the tackles

Reaction Score
All of us know the offense has struggled, but PFF grades show a slight drop off, but it's most noticeable with running the football. According to PFF grades, the defense has had a major dropoff and so have special teams. Two games don't define a team, but you can see where there is room for improvement.

Here are the grades:

2022 Offense: OFF: 69.5 (#86 overall), PASS: 45.7, PBLK: 76.4, RECV: 58.3, RUN: 83.1, RBLK: 69.5
2023 Offense: OFF: 60.2 (#116 overall), PASS: 62.8, PBLK: 79.5, RECV: 54.9, RUN: 60.9, RBLK: 59.6

2022 Defense: DEF: 77.6 (#72 overall), RDEF: 70.3, TACK: 67.1, PRSH: 68.5, COV: 82.7
2023 Defense: DEF: 58.9 (#125 overall), RDEF: 61.6, TACK: 28.2, PRSH: 54.8, COV: 58.4

2022 Special Teams: 64.2
2023 Special Teams: 41.5

So, I checked the PFF grades on the LBs comparing last year from this year. As you probably suspected, there has been a downtick in LB play.

Jackson Mitchell 2022: DEF: 76.5, RDEF: 78.0, TACK: 68.1, PRSH: 66.5, COV: 66.3
Jackson Mitchell 2023: DEF: 49.0, RDEF: 32.4, TACK: 25.4, PRSH: 68.0, COV: 64.6

Ian Swenson 2022: DEF: 62.3, RDEF: 59.8, TACK: 70.4, PRSH: 62.5, COV: 64.6
Noah Plack 2023: DEF: 52.6, RDEF: 56.4, TACK: 39.3, PRSH: 61.8, COV: 48.1

Brandon Bouyer-Randall 2022: DEF: 65.8, RDEF: 62.7, TACK: 84.8, PRSH: 64.2, COV: 66.6
Tui Faumuina-Brown 2023: DEF: 44.0, RDEF: 50.4, TACK: 80.0, PRSH: 54.3, COV: 48.7

CL82

Reaction Score
This could be the problem.. you need a good center and a big running back to run between the tackles
I don't disagree, but the sweeps and the other stuff we are attempting to run is taking too long to develop, and thus is getting stuffed.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have no idea why we are favored. Particularly by 10.
Spread is down to 7. It will be interesting where it ends up. I say 6.

After listening to Mora on his defensive fixes and knowing Roberson will be QB, I am thinking UConn -6 is a pretty good bet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom