UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you ever contribute useful posts about UConn athletics or this website just a venue for you to piss people off?

Why should that piss people off? Has anything good come of upgrading the footballs program yet?

Reaction Score
The Big EAST Basketball is Fox

B12 Conference is Fox PLUS ESPN

What does Fox want? What does UConn want?

Let's keep this really simple. If Texas Governor gets to have his say ... why don't you think that Fox won't be angling for their own Private bonus in negotiation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Am I in the minority? I couldn't give a rats arse if UConn ever played another football game again.

Maybe.

If you care about UConn basketball, start caring about UConn football.

Longterm, trying to pal around with Georgetown, Nova and Providence is a surefire path to oblivion - the power five will get around to vacuuming up all the cash in basketball eventually.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why should that piss people off? Has anything good come of upgrading the footballs program yet?
Deep, you can be my guest to any home game you want. I'll provide great food, plenty to drink a parking pass and tickets. All that is required of you is the time to invest (basically the bulk of a Saturday), an open mind and the promise that if you do actually enjoy yourself you will attend another game (on your dime for that one, you can still join my tailgate) and bring some friends. If every 'basketball only' fan does this we will no longer have attendance issues.

Reaction Score
If you're not with the P5 at some point you won't be in any meaningful conversation or relevant. It's likely that at some time in the future the P5 is going to have there own governing body and it won't be the NCAA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Am I in the minority? I couldn't give a rats arse if UConn ever played another football game again.
Whether you like it, believe it or refuse to face reality:
In a very short time, those not in the P5 category will be fighting for their lives financially (except for some Ivy League and assorted others) on the athletic side and what brings in more money than athletics?
Going into the Big East may interest those who say grab what you can but the aim HAS TO BE - get into a P5 conference
Hathaway gave UConn the death sentence with hiring PP - we can only hope that Diaco can pull a rabbit out of the hat SOON
The womens and mens BB programs here at UConn deserve much better than this AAC BS

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Deep, you can be my guest to any home game you want. I'll provide great food, plenty to drink a parking pass and tickets. All that is required of you is the time to invest (basically the bulk of a Saturday), an open mind and the promise that if you do actually enjoy yourself you will attend another game (on your dime for that one, you can still join my tailgate) and bring some friends. If every 'basketball only' fan does this we will no longer have attendance issues.

you sir, are a saint. way to go!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just make sure there's no Hartford skyline views from your seats.

Reaction Score

I had season tickets for the first six seasons at the Rent. Stopped getting them after that and haven't been to a game in maybe four years now. No thanks on the generous offer. I'm good.

Reaction Score
I don't think many of the real football fans can understand the point of view from the old basketball fans, and that's ok. I'm the old basketball fan, field house - 70's an on. By the way not all bball fans are like me this is just my take.

Never went to a football game on campus in Storrs, I was a Notre Dame football fan growing up through dad and my uncles. I cared enough to read the paper to see how the Huskies did and when they had a good year, maybe read a little more but that was it. No reason to ruin a fall golf day to head to football game which ultimately wasn't going to entertain me. And I know more than likely that's my day to play golf and you know why, the Giants are on Sunday and I'm going to be in front of the TV watching that game.

Then they went D1 and opened the Rent - I was a season ticket holder. I went to most every game and it was fun, the party the game eh, but nonetheless it was a good time. Then I realized it wasn't good enough for me to lose both weekend days to not playing golf. I mean if I party all day at the Rent and take basically my Saturday away from my family how could I dare go out and play 18 holes and grab another chunk of the weekend from my family? Add to this the fact the team was decent but not overly entertaining as well as the venue itself. I mean I am sure most of you who are really loyal fans and I really do respect that, I get it, get po'd at the people who don't come into the games until late. I think it's embarrassing when they have a big game and it's 1/2 full for kick off the noise level which should be monstrous, is actually weak. Maybe this is because of "fans" like myself or maybe it's because they haven't put a product on the field which creates the passion necessary to put fannies in the stands? I don't know the answer but I know that people have a choice and for now, I'm not interested in going to the game just because people believe this is how we will get into the P5. I believe it is and will be a requirement, but so far they have underachieved in making this happen and I, as one person, have better things to do than to try to make this product better by going to the games. Remember, I started as a huge UConn basketball fan and a ND fan in football, that hasn't changed. What did change is they have my interest but now it's up to them to really peak it, not me. Sorry it's the way I feel, so far they've come up short. Golf and the Giants are much more important in weekends.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

You should become a women's only fan. Only good things come from that.

Reaction Score
You should become a women's only fan. Only good things come from that.

Is it Deep's fault they hired Paul P and set the momentum back 5 years because of it? I mean my problem is with the loyalists who think every new fan will have the patience, it's not up to Deep it's up to the program. He gave it a 4 year try, not good enough?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Is it Deep's fault they hired Paul P and set the momentum back 5 years because of it? I mean my problem is with the loyalists who think every new fan will have the patience, it's not up to Deep it's up to the program. He gave it a 4 year try, not good enough?

No. Not if you care about UConn.

And the team is coming together. the next couple of years will be fun. I think our two best teams ever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It's not about fault, loyalty, guilting people into attending, trying hard enough or anything else except reality, which Fishy summed up here:

If you care about UConn basketball, start caring about UConn football.

Longterm, trying to pal around with Georgetown, Nova and Providence is a surefire path to oblivion - the power five will get around to vacuuming up all the cash in basketball eventually.

I'm old school basketball like you and Deep (I also grew up a ND football fan, but now I hate them because of what that school has done to college sports in general and us in particular). I went to UConn football games as a student as an excuse to party, and I went to games at the Rent the first few seasons to check it out and try to support the program. I watch now when I can, but I just can't muster the passion or the time to dedicate to it. UConn hoops comes first by a long shot in my sports fandom, followed by Mets baseball and Giants football. After that I really don't have time for much more, but what time I have I try to at least pay attention to and root for UConn football because I ascribe to reality that our hoops program is doomed long term if we don't land in a P5 conference, and football is the only way we're getting there. I don't love that that's the reality, but I accept it. The AAC and Big East are both on the Island of Misfit Schools, which is not a good place to be long term.

Reaction Score
The recipe is simple. Be competitive and play high level opponents. You do that, the Rent will sell out. Problem is, UConn hasn't done either. I find this notion that only now if we fill the Rent it will help our chances join a P5 insulting. NO IT WON'T!!!! We are five years to late for that. It is now in the hands of this administration and this state to do anything necessary to get us in. You do that, the football problem will solve itself. You don't, well the fate of the entire school falls in your hands. Not the fans!

Reaction Score
No. Not if you care about UConn.

And the team is coming together. the next couple of years will be fun. I think our two best teams ever.

I have always followed the men's basketball program. Since the Field House. I'm here on a men's basketball program message board. I very loosely follow the hockey team in recent years. I'll read a little about the baseball team. I don't follow much else. I gave the football program a fair shot. I had some good times tailgating. At the end of the day, they didn't hold my interest. Part of that is I don't really follow college football in general, part is that I don't feel like sacrificing the fall Saturday and part of it is that I just didn't care for the overall product.

I also feel that the lean on football has thrown the men's program into a little tailspin, into a garbage conference and scrambling for anyone better to throw us a life preserver. Maybe I don't get the financial impact or longer term football/P5 aftershocks. Maybe I don't care about that. Maybe I just liked following the hoop team when they sucked back in the day, when they were good, when they were great and in the future, no matter what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom