UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is it Deep's fault they hired Paul P and set the momentum back 5 years because of it? I mean my problem is with the loyalists who think every new fan will have the patience, it's not up to Deep it's up to the program. He gave it a 4 year try, not good enough?
He gave up just as the team was getting good, P had nothing to do with it. He's not a fan, fine. Enough with the trolling.

Reaction Score
It's not about fault, loyalty, guilting people into attending, trying hard enough or anything else except reality, which Fishy summed up here:

I'm old school basketball like you and Deep (I also grew up a ND football fan, but now I hate them because of what that school has done to college sports in general and us in particular). I went to UConn football games as a student as an excuse to party, and I went to games at the Rent the first few seasons to check it out and try to support the program. I watch now when I can, but I just can't muster the passion or the time to dedicate to it. UConn hoops comes first by a long shot in my sports fandom, followed by Mets baseball and Giants football. After that I really don't have time for much more, but what time I have I try to at least pay attention to and root for UConn football because I ascribe to reality that our hoops program is doomed long term if we don't land in a P5 conference, and football is the only way we're getting there. I don't love that that's the reality, but I accept it. The AAC and Big East are both on the Island of Misfit Schools, which is not a good place to be long term.

Fair enough

Reaction Score
He gave up just as the team was getting good, P had nothing to do with it. He's not a fan, fine. Enough with the trolling.

P had nothing to do with it? Really, he had everything to do with it. Deep gave up just as the team was getting good in one side of the mouth and the other P had nothing to do with it? I mean they were "getting good" when P showed up right and they haven't been very good since. It is all about PP, sorry that's what I saw. It's hard not to notice Diaco is doing his damnedest to bring them back but the poor guy was left with a pile of crap to get people like Deep and I more interested. I'm rooting like hell for him to bring them back but going to the games isn't in my priorities list nor do I think the P5 gives a crap if I'm there or not. This years team looks like it has some potential and I can't wait to see if it translates on the field. Win a few, get everyone excited and watch them flock to the games.

By the way I understand how important the P5 invite is and I want the football team to be better so the basketball team is where they deserve but it's not fair to ask people who are "kinda" fans of the team to be at the games or shut up. Plain ridiculous.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Please name a school outside the football P5 that feels good about it long term future in top level athletics in any sport.

You can't because as Fishy indicated, all the money and control of the NCAA is going to go to the P5 conference teams within the next 15 years.

Lew Perkins said as much when pushing for the FB upgrade. He was right then and he's right now. If we had upgraded in 1990 as opposed to 2000, we'd be in the ACC or B1G.

Without P5 football, access to the NCAA BB tournament decreased, as in it has already happened, to UConn in terms of both seeding and bids. The AAC gets hosed because the people in the room are not our friends. That is only the beginning. Once the TV money is all gone or so far behind the P5, it will all be over.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was not fully on board with the football upgrade initially because I didn't appreciate the P5 importance or long term implications for the viability of the University itself. I do now.

The reality is that there is a 99.9% chance we'd still be in the conference called the Big East right now if we didn't invest in football, and the vast majority of us, including me, would be looking at out at the same landscape and thinking we made a grave mistake by not investing in football, as there is zero chance that we would have been passed over for the likes of Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse or Louisville, etc. when the P5 conferences came calling for expansion candidates. We would know our days were numbered, and that the financial resources of the University would be forever limited by the loss of the opportunity for the revenue generated by P5 football television contracts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maybe.

If you care about UConn basketball, start caring about UConn football.

Longterm, trying to pal around with Georgetown, Nova and Providence is a surefire path to oblivion - the power five will get around to vacuuming up all the cash in basketball eventually.

This sounds a lot like those who said playing for almost nothing on ESPN would be a good idea because of the "exposure". How did hitching our wagon to ESPN work out for us? Now the argument is continue to spend indefinitely on football because the P5 will rescue us someday. This logic will guarantee the failure of UConn's entire athletic program, including the three major sports.

We need to get away from the AAC as soon as possible. All we have accomplished by being in the AAC is to elevate community colleges like Houston and Memphis by being in the same league and getting paid the same money as they received. If UConn is P5 worthy, it needs to prove it is P5 worthy by being in a top tier hoops league and figuring out a way to make more money on football. UConn is telling the world it is a mediocre mid-major program by staying in this crappy league.

I have a little career advice, that applies to a lot of other facets of life. You don't get a job as a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs if you are a bank teller at Webster Bank. If you want to get to Goldman someday, you need to improve your resume today.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was not fully on board with the football upgrade initially because I didn't appreciate the P5 importance or long term implications for the viability of the University itself. I do now.

The reality is that there is a 99.9% chance we'd still be in the conference called the Big East right now if we didn't invest in football, and the vast majority of us, including me, would be looking at out at the same landscape and thinking we made a grave mistake by not investing in football, as there is zero chance that we would have been passed over for the likes of Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse or Louisville, etc. when the P5 conferences came calling for expansion candidates. We would know our days were numbered, and that the financial resources of the University would be forever limited by the loss of the opportunity for the revenue generated by P5 football television contracts.
That's not much different than where we are now. By the end of the year we should know if we're facked forever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's not much different than where we are now. By the end of the year we should know if we're facked forever.
I agree, except that our investment in upgrading football--however poorly managed--keeps us within reach of one of the few remaining P5 life preservers. Had we not upgraded, we'd have no shot whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I don't think many of the real football fans can understand the point of view from the old basketball fans, and that's ok. I'm the old basketball fan, field house - 70's an on. By the way not all bball fans are like me this is just my take.

Never went to a football game on campus in Storrs, I was a Notre Dame football fan growing up through dad and my uncles. I cared enough to read the paper to see how the Huskies did and when they had a good year, maybe read a little more but that was it. No reason to ruin a fall golf day to head to football game which ultimately wasn't going to entertain me. And I know more than likely that's my day to play golf and you know why, the Giants are on Sunday and I'm going to be in front of the TV watching that game.

Then they went D1 and opened the Rent - I was a season ticket holder. I went to most every game and it was fun, the party the game eh, but nonetheless it was a good time. Then I realized it wasn't good enough for me to lose both weekend days to not playing golf. I mean if I party all day at the Rent and take basically my Saturday away from my family how could I dare go out and play 18 holes and grab another chunk of the weekend from my family? Add to this the fact the team was decent but not overly entertaining as well as the venue itself. I mean I am sure most of you who are really loyal fans and I really do respect that, I get it, get po'd at the people who don't come into the games until late. I think it's embarrassing when they have a big game and it's 1/2 full for kick off the noise level which should be monstrous, is actually weak. Maybe this is because of "fans" like myself or maybe it's because they haven't put a product on the field which creates the passion necessary to put fannies in the stands? I don't know the answer but I know that people have a choice and for now, I'm not interested in going to the game just because people believe this is how we will get into the P5. I believe it is and will be a requirement, but so far they have underachieved in making this happen and I, as one person, have better things to do than to try to make this product better by going to the games. Remember, I started as a huge UConn basketball fan and a ND fan in football, that hasn't changed. What did change is they have my interest but now it's up to them to really peak it, not me. Sorry it's the way I feel, so far they've come up short. Golf and the Giants are much more important in weekends.

Mau, here is why your golf excuse does not make a lot of sense. At most, UConn plays seven home football games in a season. However, at least two of those are usually played on days other than Saturdays. So you are really looking at potentially five Saturday games a season, of which at least one is usually played at night. Is it too much to ask that you sacrifice four golf Saturdays a year for the good of the great University of Connecticut? I guess it is. What is particularly frustrating is that you clearly like football based on your love for the Giants.

Reaction Score
Mau, here is why your golf excuse does not make a lot of sense. At most, UConn plays seven home football games in a season. However, at least two of those are usually played on days other than Saturdays. So you are really looking at potentially five Saturday games a season, of which at least one is usually played at night. Is it too much to ask that you sacrifice four golf Saturdays a year for the good of the great University of Connecticut? I guess it is. What is particularly frustrating is that you clearly like football based on your love for the Giants.

Again, why sacrifice even 4 Saturdays if you just don't care about going and think the experience is sorta meh?

Reaction Score

The key to this is it makes sense to me I guess I didn't explain it well enough. I'm not buying season tickets to go to a Thursday or Friday game or 2. Why would I? And I like golf much more than UConn football and the best time to play is the fall and I love my family so I can't do both. And UConn football doesn't interest them so that's not an option for us to get together either. As a side not, I won't play on a cool November day when hoops start if the Huskies are playing at 1pm, basketball is more important than golf.

I am curious what is so frustrating about me clearly liking the game because of the Giants, that I just don't understand? For now, my 2nd reason to watch football is Notre Dame not UConn, is this my fault based on my upbringing and original love for a team? Admittedly when I went to South Bend to see the Huskies vs ND I was somewhat changed, I was a Husky fan they were good and fun to watch. It wasn't easy but it swung that way without prior knowledge or expectations heading there. But they have successfully lost me in that comparison now, and it was PP and his short "era" that did so. Call me a frontrunner if you want but I'd say I'm a UConn guy waiting for this program to make a consistent, positive move to winning.

You would seem to be one of those fans that just don't get it, they aren't doing enough to get the "part-time fan" to come all in. Pretty simple from here. It's up to the program and the team to win us over, not the fact the P5 is at the end of the rainbow, I alone can't make that happen.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I agree, except that our investment in upgrading football--however poorly managed--keeps us within reach of one of the few remaining P5 life preservers. Had we not upgraded, we'd have no shot whatsoever.
My fear is that after selling the state on upgrading football to save the athletic programs, any future financing of upgrades will be going nowhere. We didn't spend all that money to play football in the MAC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My fear is that after selling the state on upgrading football to save the athletic programs, any future financing of upgrades will be going nowhere. We didn't spend all that money to play football in the MAC.
Agreed. If we don't get a P5 invite, the decision to upgrade football and the manner in which we went about it are colossal institutional failures for which we'll be paying the price for a very long time.

Reaction Score
Another voice of primarily a basketball fan. As a fan of basketball, college and NBA, football takes a distant backseat. Probably part of this is that during my time at UConn 1AA football was simply a social situation and by far in the mid-80's soccer games were more high-level competitive and fun. I hitched onto Bball wagon because I love the sport and because of Jim Calhoun.

Today add how a football game sucks up an entire day (days that are at the end of good weather period in northeast) and football problems in general (concussions). I was a big NFL fan as a kid and thru early 20's, but these days I tune in late November - Super Bowl. Mostly the time is unavailable to me due to family commitments and my kids are too young and not the least bit interested in a long football game/day. I'm in Boston area and even Patriots aren't something my kids watch. They won't watch baseball on TV either, another story though similar time commitment problem.

College football simply doesn't grab my interest because there isn't enough going on regionally to generate a buzz and certainly following UConn football and following top-20 type national championship football are almost entirely separate endeavors. I think if UConn was able to blend the two I'd get interested, but without that, the two-tiered time investment to follow the sport isn't worth it to me.

Early I was going to 1 game a year at Rent, haven't been since the PaulP era started but I'm hoping to catch a game this year.

I completely understand how important college football is b/c it dictates $ and IMO unfortunately ruined conferences particularly as it relates to college basketball. So I want UConn to do well. Nonetheless though I'd miss the NFL, I'd accept a future where football dies as a major sport due to head injuries if we got back the 80-90s college basketball conferences. I know this isn't happening & if it ever did its 20 years out.

Reaction Score
I mean if I party all day at the Rent and take basically my Saturday away from my family how could I dare go out and play 18 holes and grab another chunk of the weekend from my family?

Could you bring the family to the games?

Reaction Score
The key to this is it makes sense to me I guess I didn't explain it well enough. I'm not buying season tickets to go to a Thursday or Friday game or 2. Why would I? And I like golf much more than UConn football and the best time to play is the fall and I love my family so I can't do both. And UConn football doesn't interest them so that's not an option for us to get together either. As a side not, I won't play on a cool November day when hoops start if the Huskies are playing at 1pm, basketball is more important than golf.

I am curious what is so frustrating about me clearly liking the game because of the Giants, that I just don't understand? For now, my 2nd reason to watch football is Notre Dame not UConn, is this my fault based on my upbringing and original love for a team? Admittedly when I went to South Bend to see the Huskies vs ND I was somewhat changed, I was a Husky fan they were good and fun to watch. It wasn't easy but it swung that way without prior knowledge or expectations heading there. But they have successfully lost me in that comparison now, and it was PP and his short "era" that did so. Call me a frontrunner if you want but I'd say I'm a UConn guy waiting for this program to make a consistent, positive move to winning.

You would seem to be one of those fans that just don't get it, they aren't doing enough to get the "part-time fan" to come all in. Pretty simple from here. It's up to the program and the team to win us over, not the fact the P5 is at the end of the rainbow, I alone can't make that happen.

You alone can't make it happen, just like one vote does not make a difference in an election, but you have to start somewhere and there are thousands like you. Based on what you are saying, you sound like the classic fair-weather fan: when they win and they are good you are there, when they are not you jump ship. UConn is clearly guilty in part of you feeling like you do; moves like hiring PP were a killer, but all the evidence is there to demonstrate that they get it now and that the program is moving in the right direction.

As for my comment that you liking the Giants makes it even more frustrating, the reason I feel like that is because you clearly like football. I cannot fault anyone for not coming to UConn football games if they despise football, but if you do like football and are a UConn fan and/or alum, you are doing the school a disservice by not attending the games you can afford to attend and are able to attend. And when I say "you", I am referring to everyone that feels the same as you; this is by no means a personal attack.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Lots of good comments above. I was a big time Yankees / NY Giants fan growing up. Never got into college football. Went to a college that only had club football (Manhattan)
in the late 60's but was astonished how popular it became on campus. I got hooked on UConn bb and the Big East following the Arnold Dean radio show which I listened to for Yankees/Giants. I've pretty much gotten turned off to both Yankees and Giants and those professional sports in general and am more interested in participating in sports like fishing. I understand how important college football is since it generates enormous money and that is driving everything today. It is kind of strange to be so excited about one sport (BB) and not interested in the another (FB) when the future of one (BB) may well depend on the success of the other (FB). Talk about mixed emotions. My hope is that UConn gets into the P5 because the University really shines in so many ways and as a CT resident I am very proud of it for its all around excellence. I am hopeful that getting into the P5 will elevate their football program and I believe it will. I am confident that if I hang around the creek (boneyard) long enough I'll fall in. Maybe I'll start by tuning in on tv and maybe buy a ticket while they are still at bargain prices. JC made me a believer in UConn. Hoping lightning strikes twice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
P had nothing to do with it? Really, he had everything to do with it.
Since HCRE coached at least 3 more years after Deep stopped going to games, I stand by my assumption.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since HCRE coached at least 3 more years after Deep stopped going to games, I stand by my assumption.

My decision to not renew had nothing to do with the coach. The last season I had tickets, I went in for 1 of the 6 home games and hung out in the parking lot the other 5 (with Mau for 1 of those).

I just don't like college football that much and UConn football really doesn't interest me at all. I tried. I've turned down free tickets to individual games for the last 2, maybe 3 years now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a Tank McNamara strip a few years back that has always stuck with me. It was about women's sports but it fits here. The punchline was along the lines of "Is this a sport or a cause?" I think many of the FB first folks here are making FB a cause and that's a turnoff. It's takes all the fun out of the sport.

Reaction Score
There was a Tank McNamara strip a few years back that has always stuck with me. It was about women's sports but it fits here. The punchline was along the lines of "Is this a sport or a cause?" I think many of the FB first folks here are making FB a cause and that's a turnoff. It's takes all the fun out of the sport.
Tank McNamara as a current source of sage wisdom - only on the boneyard ;)

Reaction Score
OK, since the P5 or bust advocates are so nasty about it, I'll take the gloves off a little. Basketball is not football. You don't need the huge budget or 60 great players to win. The Old Big East was mostly a bunch of sports lightweights with decent mid-major basketball programs who figured out the formula. It still works, if you are looking at actual results on the court rather than predictions of gloom and doom. Three of the last four, four of the last six basketball championships have been won by non P5 schools. Not so bad. Go Big East, F football. UCONN is a lousy football program anyway.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
OK, since the P5 or bust advocates are so nasty about it, I'll take the gloves off a little. Basketball is not football. You don't need the huge budget or 60 great players to win. The Old Big East was mostly a bunch of sports lightweights with decent mid-major basketball programs who figured out the formula. It still works, if you are looking at actual results on the court rather than predictions of gloom and doom. Three of the last four, four of the last six basketball championships have been won by non P5 schools. Not so bad. Go Big East, F football. UCONN is a lousy football program anyway.

You can enjoy living in your head. What you just described is not the way of the future. In 20 years from know when P5 schools are paying players' salaries and providing family members with housing, there will be no quality player that will turn down P5 for any other conference, not even the Big East. You may think this sounds preposterous, but this is exactly what the P5 schools are looking to do by shifting away from the NCAA and making public their desire for a split. I believe the B1G is already providing 4-year scholarship guarantees for its student-athletes, with more changes like that on the way. Bottom line, you are deluded into thinking that just because the Big East, A10, and other non-P5 basketball leagues have historically competed with the P5, that will always be the reality. That doesn't become truth just because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. 20 years from now, the BE tournament will be on the same level as the NE10 or the Little East Tournament. Playing Georgetown or Villanova will mean nothing when the quality of play will be worse than the Fieldhouse days.

You may want to turn this program into ECSU or Conn College, but the rest of us sure as hell don't. We enjoy UConn being a big time, "blue blood" institution whose athletic department can compete with any of the top schools in the nation. And we will get "nasty" about it when people try to destroy what so many people have worked so hard to build.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Am I in the minority? I couldn't give a rats arse if UConn ever played another football game again.

It looks like you are in a minority of perhaps 6 individuals. That's too many in my opinion.

Reaction Score

The P5 haven't split yet. After they do, doesn't matter if you're Villanova of Incarnate Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom