Men - UConn @ Tampa FL (Fri. 2/18/22 @6:52p vs. USF > Sat. 2/19/22 @12p vs. Charlotte & Sun. 2/22/22 @8:50 vs. Louisville (All games audio>MIXLR) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Tampa FL (Fri. 2/18/22 @6:52p vs. USF > Sat. 2/19/22 @12p vs. Charlotte & Sun. 2/22/22 @8:50 vs. Louisville (All games audio>MIXLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 7th, UConn loads the bases with 1 out. Nothing comes of it. 5-3 Charlotte.

Reaction Score
Bottom 7th, first two batters reach base (one of them on a walk). McBride then strikes out 2 batters, then gives up 2 more walks to bring in a run to make it 6-3 Charlotte. Sam Favieri coming in to pitch. Favieri gives up a walk to the first batter he faces to make it 7-3. Favieri then gets a strikeout to finally end the inning.

UConn pitching has given up 11 walks so far this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 8th, UConn goes down quickly in order.

Simmons has struck out 3 times today after getting 3 hits, including 2 doubles, yesterday.

Reaction Score
McBride can really spin it and has nice movement but has a serious history of free 90’s that will prevent him from truly having the impact on this team that he should.

Reaction Score
Top 9th, a scoreless inning for UConn as the Huskies go down 7-3 to Charlotte.

Reaction Score
McBride can really spin it and has nice movement but has a serious history of free 90’s that will prevent him from truly having the impact on this team that he should.
I can already hear Penders about the staff’s free 90’s today.

Reaction Score
“…somethings never change.” ;)

I just got around to listening to this interview, I somehow missed it this morning. They mentioned the leaf blower at the interview, and the possible comments that they would get on it. Honestly I didn't think the background noise from it was bad at all, as I could still clearly hear what both Chris Jones and Coach Penders were saying to each other.

Reaction Score

McBride clearly has had a history of problems with his control during his time at UConn, but I would hardly give up on a guy with his potential talent who just started his sophomore season. Obviously he needs to clean it up at some point if he is to have a truly positive impact on the team. If he consistently keeps on having control problems, then he probably isn't going to pitch many important innings. But also, it takes some guys a longer time to figure things out. He is still a work in progress, and I'm hoping what we saw today is not necessarily the finished product, so to speak.

I watched McBride a number of times this past summer pitching for Norwich of the Futures League. Yes, he would have problems throwing strikes, but he also could be pretty effective.

By the way, one freshman who hasn't seen the mound yet for UConn this weekend is Jack Sullivan. Some very good things have been written and said about Sullivan this past fall and during the preseason. UConn was mainly playing from behind by at least a couple of runs for the most part today, so maybe the coaching staff wants to be able to get him in a game where it is either closer or with UConn ahead. Whatever the case, I would think there is probably a good chance that he might end up pitching at some point tomorrow against Louisville just to get his feet wet, and to give us a chance to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
Tough game today. Between the pitching injuries and Gallagher’s inability to do anything yesterday (like his last start next year by the way), not clear beyond Sullivan what we have for long relief today. Bats need to come through with some timely hitting, which was sorely lacking yesterday.

Reaction Score
Drop dead time for today is 1230 per Chris Jones.

Doesn’t sound like it’s anything overly concerning Stock w/ the scratch.

Reaction Score

Chris Jones mentioned late in the game yesterday that it looked like Stock's hand might be bothering him.

While I'm not surprised at Kevin Ferrer getting into the lineup for one of these weekend games, I am a bit surprised at Christian Fedko not being in the lineup at all. Of course, he was the D.H., and he had a bad day yesterday after having a good one on Friday.

Reaction Score
Drop dead time for today is 1230 per Chris Jones.

Doesn’t sound like it’s anything overly concerning Stock w/ the scratch.

I just tuned in. Didn't expect it start before 9am. Oh well.

Top 1st, Stefanoni strands a couple runners on base. No score.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Smith with a lead off birthday double. Bushling with a single puts runners on the corners with no outs. Ferrer with a 2 out double to make it 1-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
Tough game today. Between the pitching injuries and Gallagher’s inability to do anything yesterday (like his last start next year by the way), not clear beyond Sullivan what we have for long relief today. Bats need to come through with some timely hitting, which was sorely lacking yesterday.

While timely hitting is nice, another side of the coin is that the Huskies need to get more runners on base. Before the Sunday game, UConn's on base percentage is .329, while the opponents on base percentage is over .360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom