UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope Daingerfield can come in right away and be our starting PGA because I'm not high on Chong starting as our PG. Her handle is "shaky" her injury seems to be slowing her down. I just feel we can get more out of Crystal because of her speed bball IQ and defense but I'm only a fan so we'll see
Unlike you I don't see Chong as a liability on offense. I don't see her handle as "shaky". She has a nice shot, she's quick to the basket and has a unique was of sliding between defenders to the hoop. Defensively I do see her get beaten continually off the dribble. She also gets caught inside and sometime closes too slowly on the perimeter. But we've gotten spoiled by MoJeff's defensive skills and her ability to shut her opposing player down. Danger is a great young player, but the idea of her jumping into the point by mid season seems farfetched.

Reaction Score
Unlike you I don't see Chong as a liability on offense. I don't see her handle as "shaky". She has a nice shot, she's quick to the basket and has a unique was of sliding between defenders to the hoop. Defensively I do see her get beaten continually off the dribble. She also gets caught inside and sometime closes too slowly on the perimeter. But we've gotten spoiled by MoJeff's defensive skills and her ability to shut her opposing player down. Danger is a great young player, but the idea of her jumping into the point by mid season seems farfetched.
But of course it's not Chong vs. Dangerfield in terms of individual talents, but which one best complements the 4 other starters. And, by mid-season, it certainly won't be about starting so much as playing time. What Chrystal displays early on may work better--or worse--with other players on the floor.

JordyG

Reaction Score
But of course it's not Chong vs. Dangerfield in terms of individual talents, but which one best complements the 4 other starters. And, by mid-season, it certainly won't be about starting so much as playing time. What Chrystal displays early on may work better--or worse--with other players on the floor.
I tnink my point is even with MoJeff's abilities it was clear she wasn't ready to play the majority of minutes at the point during her freshman year. In fact when was the last point guard who was? Yeah, it's been that long. So again, it seems too much to ask of a freshman.

Reaction Score
I tnink my point is even with MoJeff's abilities it was clear she wasn't ready to play the majority of minutes at the point during her freshman year. In fact when was the last point guard who was? Yeah, it's been that long. So again, it seems too much to ask of a freshman.
May well be, Jordy. My point is that it's maybe not an either/or: either Soniya or Chrystal. Maybe Kia moves to point, and/or maybe there's no point but Kia and Lou bring it up, etc. Geno's a pragmatist and will look for the right combination of 5 players playing best together.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

My biggest peeve with Saniya is that she has this tendency to stop and dribble several times - like an Uh in someone's speech. I'm not sure, but it could also be that another Uh for her is that tendency to use an arm gesture - a wave - to move another player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking back, Nicole Wolff started at the point--out of necessity--and did a nice job before the first of her injuries.

I think Ketia started, but had some ups and downs.

The following year, Renee started and did a nice job for a freshman. She was a much better player 3 years later, though, as one would expect.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Looking back, Nicole Wolff started at the point--out of necessity--and did a nice job before the first of her injuries.

I think Ketia started, but had some ups and downs.

The following year, Renee started and did a nice job for a freshman. She was a much better player 3 years later, though, as one would expect.
Renee 10 years ago was freshman of the year in the big east. Thanks for making my point. It's not impossible, but for Danger I would be cautious in pushing her while encouraging more MoJeff comparisons.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My biggest peeve with Saniya is that she has this tendency to stop and dribble several times - like an Uh in someone's speech. I'm not sure, but it could also be that another Uh for her is that tendency to use an arm gesture - a wave - to move another player.
She picked that wave up from MoJeff who does it constantly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She picked that wave up from MoJeff who does it constantly.

Yeah, but when Mo waves they all get it - get out of my way. I don't see the wave producing anything for Saniya. Really, check it. But I like Saniya and hope her minutes pick up over the next 5.

Reaction Score
A new video on Molly Bent's special olympics program at Tabor Academy was posted yesterday and already has generated 19,000 views on Facebook. They hosted a tournament this weekend and the video is of Molly giving a recap/overview of the program.

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href=""><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite=""><a href="https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/videos/924020204313773/">Special Olympics at Tabor</a><p>Molly Bent &#039;16, with the help of faculty advisor Tim Cleary, has put in a lot of work this year to bring Special Olympics programs to campus. Her efforts really paid off yesterday, as Tabor hosted a Special Olympics basketball tournament and the whole community got involved:</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/">Tabor Academy</a> on Monday, February 15, 2016</blockquote></div></div>

(I tried to embed the video but I'm not too tech savy, if it doesn't show up, the link is here)

https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/videos/vb.117382661644202/924020204313773/?type=2&theater

Reaction Score
A new video on Molly Bent's special olympics program at Tabor Academy was posted yesterday and already has generated 19,000 views on Facebook. They hosted a tournament this weekend and the video is of Molly giving a recap/overview of the program.

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href=""><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite=""><a href="https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/videos/924020204313773/">Special Olympics at Tabor</a><p>Molly Bent &#039;16, with the help of faculty advisor Tim Cleary, has put in a lot of work this year to bring Special Olympics programs to campus. Her efforts really paid off yesterday, as Tabor hosted a Special Olympics basketball tournament and the whole community got involved:</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/">Tabor Academy</a> on Monday, February 15, 2016</blockquote></div></div>

(I tried to embed the video but I'm not too tech savy, if it doesn't show up, the link is here)

https://www.facebook.com/taboracademy/videos/vb.117382661644202/924020204313773/?type=2&theater

regardless of how Molly plays basketball, she is a champion

Reaction Score
This is brutal. I decided 6 months ago that Kyla Irwin would be my favorite incoming freshman next year because I love the blue collar player and she reminds me of a player I used to coach.

But I keep reading more and more things I love about Molly and I think I may have 2 favorites. (By October I'll have 3. It's inevitable.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is brutal. I decided 6 months ago that Kyla Irwin would be my favorite incoming freshman next year because I love the blue collar player and she reminds me of a player I used to coach.

But I keep reading more and more things I love about Molly and I think I may have 2 favorites. (By October I'll have 3. It's inevitable.)
Kyla is blue collar, and Molly is gym rat with a 4.0+ GPA. Meanwhile, though Crystal has elite athleticism, she plays really hard. I'm not sure if her energy is at Moriah's level, but it's close. We have 3 likable kids.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Molly's Downs Syndrome Program at Tabor. I know she has a very personal connection, but that's pretty special. Now, who wouldn't pull for her?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm hoping one of our outstanding mods will edit the topic title to include Lexi. She sounds like the prototypical UConn "get." Hard not to be excited about her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/22

Blackman won its district title 57-44 Monday behind 24 points from Crystal Dangerfield, 18 of those coming in the second half.

They move on to regionals this weekend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Long article on Kyle Irwin from her local paper.

Kyla made her official visit to the campus in the fall of 2014 and gave a verbal commitment by late October of that year. When basketball season began a little more than a month later, she noticed she was getting played a lot tougher.

She also heard the rumors that she wasn’t getting a scholarship to play there, and that she wouldn’t be getting off the bench.

“If they think I’m going to be a walk-on, that’s totally fine,” said Kyla, who earned all-state honors in both basketball and volleyball as a junior. “It’s not going to bother me. (This) has definitely put a target on my back, but it’s only made me better. I’ve had to widen my variety of shots and learn how to get around three people instead of two. They’re making me better, so I just have to say ‘Thank you’ for putting more people on me.”

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/high-school/article62774277.html

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/26

Crystal Dangerfield is putting on another show in tonight's regional playoff game. She has 18 points at the half and is 4-4 from three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom