UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
she's gonna pick up right where Moriah left off.. very similar skill set.. only difference I see, at the same stage, she looks a little stronger
I think Crystal is stronger, but a little shorter. She is perhaps not quite as fast, but still plenty fast. She has similar moves and is an ankle-breaker. Her pull-up jumper is more developed than Moriah's was until recently. Like Moriah, Crystal will drive the opposition crazy and be a fan favorite.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Crystal is stronger, but a little shorter. She is perhaps not quite as fast, but still plenty fast. She has similar moves and is an ankle-breaker. Her pull-up jumper is more developed than Moriah's was until recently. Like Moriah, Crystal will drive the opposition crazy and be a fan favorite.
I think it's essential that we see her not as a Moriah plug in, but as Danger. A completely different though similar player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/12

Dangerfield scored 12 points in a Blackman rout Friday in their final regular season game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I am intrigued by the comparison of Dangerfield to Ivory Latta. I seem to recall Latta being an impactful player for UNC.

As next year develops, I hope people will keep some perspective on Crystal. Comparisons with Moriah are inevitable, but I hope Crystal can quickly develop her own identity.

Reaction Score
Central PA Elite ‏@CentralPAElite 45m45 minutes ago
UConn Recruit Kyla Irwin went off for 43 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 steals in State College's win over Hollidaysburg

Ca-Q4FAWcAESMXQ.jpg
While we should be cautious about these gaudy numbers because of the quality of the opposition, it is extremely impressive that she's got such a killer instinct. She's obviously got a very fast motor, and that will be especially important as a freshman, when her minutes will be limited and it's important to play intensely in the time you do have. I'm optimistic that she will make a strong impact next year. Geno, in a TV interview talking about the wall freshmen hit, said that role players seem not to hit it because they're not expected to carry the team. Kyla could have a tremendous freshman year playing that kind of role.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Three phase reception, orientation, and continuing evaluation for each of the incoming freshmen -- Molly, Kyla and Crystal:

1. Welcome to UConn.

2. Can she play?

3. Is she a Badass?
P.S. There is also, of course, the matter of CD's rules. . . ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
CDs rules? Explain please.

Actually Geno's rules but CD is the enforcer. Some of them:
- No names on uniforms
- No t-shirts (long- or short-sleeve)
- No knee socks
- No visible tats
- No colored nail polish
- Very limited social media during season
- No headphones in public
- No confrontations with refs or opponents
- Never diss refs, opposing teams (players or coaches) when interviewed
- Always wear uniform exactly as prescribed
- Just win, baby :)
I think I got most of them. If not, speak up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Three phase reception, orientation, and continuing evaluation for each of the incoming freshmen -- Molly, Kyla and Crystal:

1. Welcome to UConn.

2. Can she play?

3. Is she a Badass?
P.S. There is also, of course, the matter of CD's rules. . . ;)

1.UConn Nation warmly welcomes Molly, Kyla and Crystal with open arms.

2. From all the reports we've been getting, the consensus is ....they can play. We're hoping they all can make that transition from high school to college some time during their freshman year.

3. Again, the consensus is they all have the potential to be "Badasses" on a regular basis. That however remains to be seen. If recent past history is any indication, Their names will appear regularly as recipients of your B.A. award.

I'm not worried about them being able to score. They've already shown over the course of their high school careers that they can. What I'm excited about is their character and their resolve to be good TEAM mates, and do any and everything they can to help the TEAM achieve it's goals.

Kara Wolters broke it down to the audience on one of the SNY pre-game shows recently. She said what impresses coaches more than an ability to score is: are you a willing passer, do you help your team mate up if she goes down?, Do you cheer for your team mates on the floor when you're on the bench?. Are you actively involved in the game when you're on the bench. Do you run on and off the floor? Do you project good and positive "body language " when you're on the court? Do you take plays off? Are you diving on loose balls even though your team is up by 25? How hard to you go in practice? Are you a "team first" player, or a it's all about "ME", I've got to get mine type of player?. Are you a leader, or a follower? Are you a good team mate?.

Wolters said that if young girls still in high school really want to get noticed, and stand out, these are the things they need to focus on. Not just scoring. Anybody can score. Being able to score is not the true measure of a player.

Because they were recruited and offered a scholarship by UConn (and remember, In Geno we trust), I'm betting these three young ladies possess all of these traits, and will build on them in the months and years to come.
Personally, I'm very excited about their decision to come to Storrs, and can't wait to see them play.

I don't think they will have any problems conforming to CD's rules and regulations. That was probably part of their overall appeal. I think the Nation will be please with them not only as athletes, but as engaging and congenial young ladies as well. I think the staff hit a home run with these three.

Reaction Score
Crystal is working on a new "rolling shot." Might work well coming off a screen.

Looks like we're going to get a two-fer with Crystal, a Renee/Moriah like point guard, and a new team clown. (Stef's been gone for two years now) :p :D :cool: :eek:

Reaction Score
I don't know if we'll have the best team next year, but we sure will have the happiest (unless Geno has a say). Great post, JavaMan. Gotta love Chrystal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think it's essential that we see her not as a Moriah plug in, but as Danger. A completely different though similar player.

JordyG, I agree with your take. I also wish you good luck with it. You know the comparisons to Moriah by the "yarders" and others will be endless. Moriah became a cult hero, and a fan favorite (she's my favorite player) while she was here. She almost redefined the point guard position.

Every team in WCBB would love to have a clone of her. Her speed has become legendary. No one can keep up with her. She has become a very good shooter, and she can lock down your best guard. Just ask Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell, who led the nation in scoring last year (8 points for the entire game earlier this year), or South Carolina's Tiffany Mitchell (2 points in the 2nd half last year). She threw a blanket over both of them while she was guarding them.

If Dangerfield is not the starting PG when the season opens, don't be surprised if she is when it ends. She has too much of an upside. From the reports we're getting, Dangerfield sounds like a "Swiss Army Knife". I don't think it will take her that long to make the high school to college adjustment.

She's too much of a real "baller" and competitor. She's not as quick as Moriah (who is?), but after she gets her "sea legs", Geno is going to have a hard time keeping her on the bench.

Chong will no doubt start the season at the point, and of course Nurse will remain the shooting guard.
It's too early to try and guess who the other 3 starters will be, but I'm going to anyway.

I'm guessing Tuck (if she comes back), Lou and Butler. If Tuck leaves, then Williams will most likely take her spot. All of this is of course pure speculation. I could be spot on, or way out in left field. A lot of things can happen between now and then. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
J

Every team in WCBB would love to have a clone of her. Her speed has become legendary. No one can keep up with her. She has become a very good shooter, and she can lock down your best guard. Just ask Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell, who led the nation in scoring last year (8 points for the entire game earlier this year), or South Carolina's Tiffany Mitchell (2 points in the 2nd half last year). She threw a blanket over both of them while she was guarding them.

If Dangerfield is not the starting PG when the season opens, don't be surprised if she is when it ends. She has too much of an upside. From the reports we're getting, Dangerfield sounds like a "Swiss Army Knife". I don't think it will take her that long to make the high school to college adjustment.

How many games did Jefferson start as a freshmen? Some fans forget that she didn't arrive as the player she is this season. Chrystal appears to have a ton of talent and individual skills but she will have to learn to play a different game starting next season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How many games did Jefferson start as a freshmen? Some fans forget that she didn't arrive as the player she is this season. Chrystal appears to have a ton of talent and individual skills but she will have to learn to play a different game starting next season.
Moriah had 2 starts as a freshman. Bria (28) and Caroline Doty (32) got most of the starts. Mo's stats for her first year and third (All-American) year:

Games 39/39
Starts 2/39
MPG 17.4/28.7
FG % .424/.587
3-pt% .266/.496
FT % .760/.843
PPG 4.7/12.4
A 69/191
S 52/100
TO 49/62

Her minutes went way up. Her shooting %s jumped--she outshot the great KML from the arc. Her assists jumped and TOs per minute dropped. She nearly doubled her steals. Can Lou or Napheesa make this type of improvement? It will be interesting to watch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Saturday 2/13

Kyla Irwin finishes her regular season in style with another monster performance.

34 points (16-23 fg), 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks

She didn't shoot a foul shot for the first time all year.

State College heads to the District 6 playoffs next week.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saturday 2/13

Kyla Irwin finishes her regular season in style with another monster performance.

34 points (16-23 fg), 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks

She didn't shoot a foul shot for the first time all year.

State College heads to the District 6 playoffs next week.
Sluconn, I appreciate your posts and your dedication to this subject.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG, I agree with your take. I also wish you good luck with it. You know the comparisons to Moriah by the "yarders" and others will be endless. Moriah became a cult hero, and a fan favorite (she's my favorite player) while she was here. She almost redefined the point guard position.

She's too much of a real "baller" and competitor. She's not as quick as Moriah (who is?), but after she gets her "sea legs", Geno is going to have a hard time keeping her on the bench.

Chong will no doubt start the season at the point, and of course Nurse will remain the shooting guard.
It's too early to try and guess who the other 3 starters will be, but I'm going to anyway.

I'm guessing Tuck (if she comes back), Lou and Butler. If Tuck leaves, then Williams will most likely take her spot. All of this is of course pure speculation. I could be spot on, or way out in left field. A lot of things can happen between now and then. We'll see.
Yes I agree with everything you say, all of which has crossed my mind. Which to me makes it more essential that we don't see her as a plug in. Comparisons are inevitable. But we will soon see that the differences are just as evident as the similarities. MoJeff will always be MoJeff. This young lady is Danger(ous).

Reaction Score

I'll take NC as a starter over Butler depending on the size of the opponent. I think NC is gonn be great before its all said and done.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Worth reading in full.

It was an outstanding performance but it also was just Irwin doing what she almost always does. The 6-foot-2 senior is averaging 26.6 points and 12.5 rebounds per game, helping State College (19-3) exceed expectations and win six more games than last year. She also is an unselfish player who does not force bad shots and who sets up her teammates well.

"You know what she's going to do and you can game plan and practice for it but you can't simulate that kind of player in practice. She came out and showed exactly why she's going to UConn," Williamsport coach Derek Slaughter said. "She's a phenomenal talent and she's been a phenomenal talent for four years. It's been a pleasure coaching against her and watching her become the player she has."

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/653678/Millionaires-face-UConn-signee.html?nav=5017

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
" I think NC is gonn be great before its all said and done. "

MDoggie - while the vision for "great" is often subjective... we have same eyes on this one. and for me, sooner than later with NC. with 30 or so mins a game will put up serious Rebounding #'s & filling multiple columns. Her Defensive upside is distinguishable .
As Dean Smith said most players make biggest jump from Freshman to Soph years. I envision this with Napheesa.
Young lady has a rock solid mind and is known for a self motivated work ethic. both will be catalysts for Growth & Consistency moving forward.

Reaction Score
I also believe Napheesa will be a great player as well as Katie Lou. Time will tell!

Reaction Score
I hope Daingerfield can come in right away and be our starting PGA because I'm not high on Chong starting as our PG. Her handle is "shaky" her injury seems to be slowing her down. I just feel we can get more out of Crystal because of her speed bball IQ and defense but I'm only a fan so we'll see

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/13 - 2/14

Blair Academy advanced to the state tournament with wins on Saturday and Sunday.

Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 32 points on Saturday and hit 5 threes. She followed that up with 31 points on Sunday and 3 threes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom