UConn Recruiting Speculation 6 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Not that I know of. The closest was Brittany Hunter who wanted to come to UCONN and was recruited pretty heavily by UCONN, but her dad basically forced her to Duke. She transferred after a couple years (and and injury) to UCONN.

Poffenberger has been in college 3 and 1/2 years. Add in some summer classes, and she might be graduating from Arkansas this year. So she may be a Grad transfer. (just a guess)
No way would we want Saylor back. She bailed on us for a stupid reason, and we could have used her since that year started the injury problem. She basically blew it, not to mention her entitled mother.

Reaction Score
No way would we want Saylor back. She bailed on us for a stupid reason, and we could have used her since that year started the injury problem. She basically blew it, not to mention her entitled mother.
She said in an interview about a year later that she didn’t like how tightly disciplined Geno’s offense was. What her mother said wasn’t exactly consonant with her version of events.

She’s a talent, but I can’t see Geno taking her back unless she learned something in her years at Arkansas about why a disciplined offense and defense might be worth the trouble.

It may have occurred to her that she’s not going into the W from Arkansas. If so, it’s too bad she left UConn.

Reaction Score
Finally saw the proverbial big in the portal: Hannah Gusters has entered her name according to Raoul. She's a 6'5" redshirt junior out of OK St.

Reaction Score
Finally saw the proverbial big in the portal: Hannah Gusters has entered her name according to Raoul. She's a 6'5" redshirt junior out of OK St.

I’d rather go after Caitlin Weimar, she’s already being followed a lot of P5 Coaches (I don’t think Coach Valley will start paying attention to the portal until we know what Sarah Strong does and/or the season is over).

6’4, from NY, Grad-Transfer from Boston University.

Reaction Score
what number transfer is she on now?

Reaction Score
Strong is nothing like Maya though . Strong reminds me of Ice Brady with more confidence and a better handle , Honestly i do not see game changer when i watch Strong play more of if she goes to the right place with the right team and fit she would be a big complimenting piece . Unfortunately she does not want to play Post so all the excitement to bring her in when we need a PF is strange . She has stated clearly shes a 2/3
I never said she was Maya though. My point was if Maya could look not-so-hot on one night - then anyone can.

As far as comparison - imo Sarah vs Ice are very different. Sarah has playmaking skills. Ice isn't a playmaker for others.

As far as game changer - that's subjective terminology. IMO any player needs teammates- game-changer or no-game changer.. I can care less about "game changer." What Sarah is if she comes to UCONN will be in championship hunt every year and she'll be multiple years All-American at UCONN possibly beginning her frosh year because the team is so set up for her style of play.

If she comes to UCONN, we're very fortunate that she is such an elite type of playmaker from inside-and-out in which she'll be able to run the offense a lot from the perimeter, while she'll also be a very good rebounder. So, she is going to add toughness.

Reaction Score
Next school will be her 4th. She's going for a record. Check out the glowing remarks of her now ex-coach. "Crucial piece for the future of our program".

Other than the obvious concerns over her ability to stick with a program, is the fact she is 6-5 and rebounds like a SF, and has at times looked out of shape. Weimar on the other hand looks interesting.

Reaction Score
For those of you who are wondering, this is a thread about UConn Recruiting Speculation!!!! I am not sure how it warped into a thread about transfer speculation and mindless banter.
You do have to recruit transfers to your school, but what do I know.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If I'm UConn I am all over Weimar.

Weimar has become a matchup nightmare for opponents, and it starts with her dexterity with both hands.

“Usually we can scout a post and say, ‘Hey, force them left or force them right to their weak hand,’ but she really doesn’t have one,” Graves says.

That means when Weimar gets the ball in the post, defenders must be prepared for a number of possible actions. She can spin inside for a layup, she can pound her defender down low and sink her signature hook shot—from the left or right side. She can score facing up to the hoop, she can get to the rim with a step-through move, she can punish sagging defenders with a smooth midrange jumper. And when opponents send double or triple teams, she can kick the ball to open shooters.

Graves calls Weimar an “unstoppable force.” As a former three-year post player herself, at women’s college basketball powerhouse Notre Dame, the BU coach would know.

Weimar has perfected the traditional aspects of post play—strong footwork and rebounding ability. But what has impressed Graves the most is that she’s shown the ability to play with a versatility and mobility that’s rare in a post player.

“She sprints up the floor like a gazelle. She’s able to play in and out around the rim, she has a soft touch around the rim,” Graves says. “All these things that are not always teachable were really special to me.”

How Caitlin Weimar Became an “Unstoppable Force” for BU Women’s Basketball

Reaction Score
I watched Weimar play against Holy Cross and she did not come across as someone I would go after for UConn

Reaction Score

I know UConn had recruited her at one point but this will be her 4th team

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous, I say the hell with Sarah. If we lose out on a good post in the portal because she won't make an announcement, we will regret it. She is the only prospect in the top 100 that hasn't announced a decision. I look at her as the same as Ice as far as size and what assets she has on the court. She may be better than Ice, or she may have the same problem, but one point is that they play the same position. She also wants to play outside, but we need someone in the low post, and to repeat, if we miss the opportunity to grab a great post player because she won't make a decision we will regret it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous, I say the hell with Sarah. If we lose out on a good post in the portal because she won't make an announcement, we will regret it. She is the only prospect in the top 100 that hasn't announced a decision. I look at her as the same as Ice as far as size and what assets she has on the court. She may be better than Ice, or she may have the same problem, but one point is that they play the same position. She also wants to play outside, but we need someone in the low post, and to repeat, if we miss the opportunity to grab a great post player because she won't make a decision we will regret it.
We don't know if she has or has not made a decision. Maybe she was asked by the coaching staff to which she committed, to hold off on making an announcement.

Reaction Score
Do transfers not need to be recruited?
it is my understanding that players entering the portal have the option of including a “do not contact” provision. The player initiates contact with the school or schools she is interested in. This limits the recruiting process or if she is only interested in one school there will be no recruiting from other schools.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chillax. UCONN is not gonna miss out on a "good" post because they're waiting on an announcement. IF they felt they needed someone, and IF they thought someone in the portal would help the team, they'd take a look.

In all actuality, UCONN probably isn't gonna be looking into the portal til after the season, if at all. After Geno sits down with each player, then he'll know what he's got next year. Then IF they feel they need to, they can look and see if there is anyone in the portal worth their time.

Reaction Score
Former UConn recruits (who never verbally committed to UConn) have transferred to UConn in the past. (I believe that Sarah Northway and Brittany Hunter are in this category.). But I am not aware of any player who returned to UConn after transferring out. (Like Saylor and some girl from Delaware.). Like you said, she blew her chance.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Chillax. UCONN is not gonna miss out on a "good" post because they're waiting on an announcement. IF they felt they needed someone, and IF they thought someone in the portal would help the team, they'd take a look.

In all actuality, UCONN probably isn't gonna be looking into the portal til after the season, if at all. After Geno sits down with each player, then he'll know what he's got next year. Then IF they feel they need to, they can look and see if there is anyone in the portal worth their time.
Yeah, but the portal is open now. If there is someone we are interested in they may be gone if we wait until then.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the portal is open now. If there is someone we are interested in they may be gone if we wait until then.
Just because "we" might be interested, doesn't mean Geno and Co. are. (or the player in the portal, may not be interested)

IF the player really wants to come to UCONN, AND UCONN wants her, she'll be willing to wait a bit, if needed.

My "bet" is that UCONN won't go into the portal. Hopefully won't have any need to. BUT I don't know who's staying, who's going, where players are in their injury recoveries. I'll leave it to Geno and Co. to figure that out. But I'm certainly not gonna sit here and fret about who "we" might "miss".

Reaction Score
How about we make the (reasonable) assumption that Geno et al know things that we don’t? I don’t know why she is waiting so long, though the fact that there is only one slot available sounds reasonable. In that case she has to wait until Aaliyah announces, as if Aaliyah were to stay, there would not be a scholarship available for her. My guess is that Geno knows exactly what’s going on and will act accordingly. I believe she’s (Strong) worth the wait and if she doesn’t come, well, maybe that means Aaliyah is returning! There will be lots of players in the portal (I’ve heard nothing that leads me to believe Weimar‘s decision is imminent. Sarah Strong is worth the wait as long as Geno believes we are in the running!

Reaction Score
Just because "we" might be interested, doesn't mean Geno and Co. are. (or the player in the portal, may not be interested)

IF the player really wants to come to UCONN, AND UCONN wants her, she'll be willing to wait a bit, if needed.

My "bet" is that UCONN won't go into the portal. Hopefully won't have any need to. BUT I don't know who's staying, who's going, where players are in their injury recoveries. I'll leave it to Geno and Co. to figure that out. But I'm certainly not gonna sit here and fret about who "we" might "miss".

And we won't have answers until Uconn's season is over

Reaction Score
Didn't Geno say a while back that there was a surprise coming in the recruitment process?
If so maybe it's Sarah Strong!
Teenage girls are fickle so maybe Sarah wants to wait to the last minute!
It's like picking a date for the prom, play it coy and chose from your offers!
Does Sarah want to "Dance" with Duke, NoCar, or UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom