UConn Recruiting Speculation 6 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a lot of info on the Boneyard about Jordan Horston when she was a high school senior and how she was a sure-fire future AA. Well, UConn did not get her to commit but it did not hurt. She was a turnover waiting to happen and wound up being a little bit better than average. She had the talent but probably went to the wrong school. UConn got Aubrey Griffin instead and I am satisfied with that. I will wait to see how Sarah plays before I get excited about her coming to UConn. I want her to come to UConn and hope she lives up to the hype.
Jordan should be an object lesson for all top rated recruits on the consequences of choosing badly. She was an excellent player, tremendous skills, and she had the misfortune to spend her years in Rocky Top. Watch the old FIBA games with her playing next to Paige and you get a vision of what could have been.

I hope not only Sarah thinks about this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sophomore guard Saylor Poffenbarger has entered the transfer portal, according to The Next Hoops.
Poffenbarger transferred to Arkansas from UCONN in 2022. This past season, she started in 30 games and averaged 10.2 points per game and 11.2 rebounds per game.

==>Avg. 10.2 pts and 11.2 rebs and she is still thinking not enough?
My wide and I liked to visit new places. This kid is just getting an early start. Obviously intell ctually curious.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of info on the Boneyard about Jordan Horston when she was a high school senior and how she was a sure-fire future AA. Well, UConn did not get her to commit but it did not hurt. She was a turnover waiting to happen and wound up being a little bit better than average. She had the talent but probably went to the wrong school. UConn got Aubrey Griffin instead and I am satisfied with that. I will wait to see how Sarah plays before I get excited about her coming to UConn. I want her to come to UConn and hope she lives up to the hype.
Horston was immensely talented and we'll never know if Geno and staff could have developed her productivity and decision-making and decreased her mistakes..........going to that Tennessee program that lacked coaching and discipline was probably the worst place for her to go if she wanted to improve her game.....

Reaction Score
There's a first time for everything. Maybe UConn's academics have become a bit more attractive.
Good point especially in relation to grad transfers. Most schools have some excellent grad programs. For example, SCar doesn't have the greatest (or worst) grad programs across the board. However, it has a handful that are superb. For example, the International Business program ranks 1/2 with Wharton every year. I would imagine that UConn also has a handful of excellent programs an Ivy (for example) COULD be interested in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think she's one of those players who physically doesn't look like a dominant athlete, yet she simply dominates in most aspects of the game...........my only question is whether her defensive abilities can catch up to the rest of her game at the next level...

When Azzi played against Paige for the first time, Azzi thought, "This skinny kid is the great Paige Bueckers?" After Paige scored on 6 or 7 consecutive possessions, Azzi reassessed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Has Uconn transfer ever returned to play ?
Not that I know of. The closest was Brittany Hunter who wanted to come to UCONN and was recruited pretty heavily by UCONN, but her dad basically forced her to Duke. She transferred after a couple years (and and injury) to UCONN.

Poffenberger has been in college 3 and 1/2 years. Add in some summer classes, and she might be graduating from Arkansas this year. So she may be a Grad transfer. (just a guess)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Horston was immensely talented and we'll never know if Geno and staff could have developed her productivity and decision-making and decreased her mistakes..........going to that Tennessee program that lacked coaching and discipline was probably the worst place for her to go if she wanted to improve her game.....
Jordan Horston is not the best example of talented Tennessee players who failed to develop. She played four solid years as a Lady Vol, and played very effectively against UConn in each year's game. She was drafted in the first round by the Seattle Storm and has played well for them.

There are players from the mid-2010's (the late Holly Warlick years, e.g. Mercedes Russell and Cierra Burdick) to whom your comment is more applicable.

I believe that although Jordan Horston was recruited by Holly, she played all four years under Kelly, which may account for the different result.

Reaction Score
Several years ago on the Old ESPN Board - we all had gotten word that we could watch Maya Moore in one of her h/s games. In that game she didn't play very well. After that, we got a 2nd chance in a 2nd game they showed Maya and her team vs quality ranked H/S Team from Delaware - St Elizabeth top tier A/A Rutgers recruit Khadijah Rushdan. Maya put on a show we couldn't believe.

So. try to watch more if you can. I did a quick look on YouTube - (I'm not clear on what to provide here on links), you can check out highlights - a matchup of #1 recruit Sarah vs #2 recruit Joyce Edwards going to South Carolina. Both players were terrific and Sarah's team won. Sarah got 31 points and 19 rebounds. Both teams had excellent records. Joyce had 27 points. In this game - the highlights you see shotting outside and scoring inside. This game was IN early January. You can google that as well.

I went looking for other info - she did score 30 vs North Carolina center recruit. And I wonder if you saw another game in which the opponent was completely outmatched. And all you saw Srah do was get offensive rebound baskets with none to really affect her. Maybe that game or similar you saw in which there realy wasn’t much as a fun highlight.

Strong is nothing like Maya though . Strong reminds me of Ice Brady with more confidence and a better handle , Honestly i do not see game changer when i watch Strong play more of if she goes to the right place with the right team and fit she would be a big complimenting piece . Unfortunately she does not want to play Post so all the excitement to bring her in when we need a PF is strange . She has stated clearly shes a 2/3

Reaction Score
Jordan should be an object lesson for all top rated recruits on the consequences of choosing badly. She was an excellent player, tremendous skills, and she had the misfortune to spend her years in Rocky Top. Watch the old FIBA games with her playing next to Paige and you get a vision of what could have been.

I hope not only Sarah thinks about this.
Jordan made the WNBA all rookie team i doubt she has any regrets Lol

Reaction Score
Jordan Horston is not the best example of talented Tennessee players who failed to develop. She played four solid years as a Lady Vol, and played very effectively against UConn in each year's game. She was drafted in the first round by the Seattle Storm and has played well for them.

There are players from the mid-2010's (the late Holly Warlick years, e.g. Mercedes Russell and Cierra Burdick) to whom your comment is more applicable.

I believe that although Jordan Horston was recruited by Holly, she played all four years under Kelly, which may account for the different result.
she was indeed a great player at times but would inexplicably make alarming turnovers and mental mistakes.......her lack of consistency was the real issue........I haven't followed her in the pros so I have no idea if she outgrew those bad habits.......I recently caught Mercedes Russell on tv playing overseas and I was surprised to see that she was extremely aggressive and had a very impressive game.....

Reaction Score
Jordan made the WNBA all rookie team i doubt she has any regrets Lol
I never said she did. I was merely speculating on what she might have done elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Strong is nothing like Maya though . Strong reminds me of Ice Brady with more confidence and a better handle , Honestly i do not see game changer when i watch Strong play more of if she goes to the right place with the right team and fit she would be a big complimenting piece . Unfortunately she does not want to play Post so all the excitement to bring her in when we need a PF is strange . She has stated clearly shes a 2/3

Sarah is a Wing who can play down low (like Maya did, Sarah is also 2” taller), where Ice is a Post who can stretch the floor (like Morgan Tuck).

Sarah, after Allie Ziebell, is arguably the best shooter in the class, all while being able to battle in the paint against players like Joyce Edwards (31 points and 17 rebounds in their matchup, shooting 7/10 from 3). I think you’re selling her way too short.

Reaction Score
What do we think? I’m wondering if UConn is one of the schools in her list of schools.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What do we think? I’m wondering if UConn is one of the schools in her list of schools.

Posted this in non-conn recruiting thread. There was interest early on, and then not.

Reaction Score
Posted this in non-conn recruiting thread. There was interest early on, and then not.
I had wrote down on my recruiting spreadsheet a note about how she has been a lifelong UConn fan (don’t know where I initially saw that). I also think she initially received a UConn offer in 2022 (according to twitter). I don’t think UConn needs another guard, so I doubt we are even in the running. My guess is she’ll go to the SEC. I remember her also having offers from Florida, Missouri, FSU, Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Imari Berry 13th ranked recruit has decommited from Clemson. She previously held offers from Tenn South Carolna and UConn among many others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom