UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Realistically how long is the runway for this program? 3 years? 5 years?
2023 is when craps going to hit the fan. I see two scenarios where football lives.

1. We get accepted into one of the power conferences

2. The Big XII implodes, the AAC disbands, and the best teams in the AAC join up with the Big XII leftovers and a couple stragglers

Reaction Score
hi duncan - hope all is well w the fam.

the social equity uconn has built as a local brand is certainly being put to the test.

personally, i think there is still plenty gas im the tank.

everybody loves an underdog scrappy fighter overcoming everything and winning story. i see no reason why if the pieces came together that a wiining streak and good story tellers couldnt reproduce past results of a energetic program and fan following.

but my eligibility to contribute on the field is non-existent. they got to win games, and let the rest fall in place.
All good. Last kid graduated from UConn this spring. Him and his girlfriend have work in Boston. So thats it, four boys, four out of the house. Looks like your keeping your head above the water in the Pool. Hang in there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I do not think that reducing the price puts more people in the stadium. Right now you can get a single ticket for $30.00 with fees. If you want to commit to six ticket (vouchers) you are looking at $15.00 each. Those prices are not keeping people from attending games. How many people have had tickets and not been able to give them away.

$30 tickets are not keeping people away. $30 tickets and $15 parking and $10 beer and $6 burger and $10 beer two and $6 nachos and $10 beer three are.

It adds up.

Reaction Score
All good. Last kid graduated from UConn this spring. Him and his girlfriend have work in Boston. So thats it, four boys, four out of the house. Looks like your keeping your head above the water in the Pool. Hang in there.

LOL. I'm like a cockroach. A survivor.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
At time of the decision to upgrade it was for BC Pitt Cuse. Rutgers WVU VT Miami... Now its Tulane Memphis SMU ECU Tulsa Houston UCF... though still a decent football conference there is no connection there, none and being uncompetitive. How often is Navy on the schedule?

There is 0.0% chance UConn would have upgraded if anyone knew that the Big East would have collapsed. Zero. Point. Zero.

You can say the conference doesn't matter. It does. It might not to you, but the sell is to casual fans. Casual fans do not know who these teams are and do not care. Blaming them for that doesn't make it less true.

EDIT: Great point on Navy. UConn should have been fighting tooth and nail to keep Navy in their division. Common sense would have dictated that. There is no reason to believe they did so.

Reaction Score
That specific reason is not why they have lost 75%. But they have lost 75% so maybe they shouldn’t be immune to legitimate criticism?

I don't think they are immune to legitimate criticism. And I think it would be a nice gesture to drop the donation amounts. But they are trying to maximize their revenue among the people that give a crap enough to keep paying - so lower donations likely = less money. If they are trying to win hearts and minds? Fail.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think they are immune to legitimate criticism. And I think it would be a nice gesture to drop the donation amounts. But they are trying to maximize their revenue among the people that give a crap enough to keep paying - so lower donations likely = less money. If they are trying to win hearts and minds? Fail.

All I’m saying is they shouldn’t have claimed they cut the prices.

Reaction Score
There is 0.0% chance UConn would have upgraded if anyone knew that the Big East would have collapsed. Zero. Point. Zero.

You can say the conference doesn't matter. It does. It might not to you, but the sell is to casual fans. Casual fans do not know who these teams are and do not care. Blaming them for that doesn't make it less true.

EDIT: Great point on Navy. UConn should have been fighting tooth and nail to keep Navy in their division. Common sense would have dictated that. There is no reason to believe they did so.
Navy wanted to be in the west. Not sure uconn had any sway with this decision. 100 percent spot in your conference mattering point. I'm pretty diehard. Dropped seasons last year for 1st time in Rent history. Attended games at memorial, traveled to bowl games. I don't blame the teams in this league, and they likely feel the same way about us, but there isn't one league team in either sport that I loathe enough to care maybe Cincinnati basketball being the exception.

It took the perfect poopstorm of events to get to this point, but here we are. Total apathy has set in.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Looks like Phil will be able to sneak into the chair backs after all.

I'll practically be able to sit on the bench next to the industrial power fans at this rate

Reaction Score
UConn should buy players.

See - this is what I'm saying. It's about recruiting. It's always about recruiting - no matter what business it is. We're in a GD athletic conference with SMU. What we got to lose? It's not like the NCAA hasn't thrown the book at UCONN for no reason in the past.

It's not like I'm really advocating for anything shady. Not really. No way. That's wrong, but I wouldn't mind winning games at such a pace and racking up trophies such that people really start wondering.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think what's getting lost in all of this is that we shouldn't be freaking out about the difference between ticket sales from 2005 to 2018, when myriad things have changed, but from 2017 to 2018 when very little has changed. We've been bad for a long time, why would 40% of our base decide to drop season tickets now? What changed in one year? For one thing, it shows to me that aspire isn't worth its weight.

Reaction Score
Why are we the FBS team that is going to go? There have to be at least 30 FBS teams losing more on football than we are.
how many of them have a basketball power that they're trying to better their situation for?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
how many of them have a basketball power that they're trying to better their situation for?

We can definitely recruit a top 10 class from the AAC. We've been awful in the American the past couple years, and we would have been worse in the Big East. Basketball will be fine in the American as long as they have a competent head coach. Basketball fans who think we don't need football success are shortsighted IMO.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
They better show some life the next two weeks. If they get blown out the first two you could see a four figure crowd.

And that's a four-figure crowd in the attendance statistics, not in the actual bodies in the seats. That would be a "low four figure" crowd!

Reaction Score
We can definitely recruit a top 10 class from the AAC. We've been awful in the American the past couple years, and we would have been worse in the Big East. Basketball will be fine in the American as long as they have a competent head coach. Basketball fans who think we don't need football success are shortsighted IMO.
Yes, we can still succeed inside of the American for basketball. But it'd be a lot easier to recruit and a heck of a lot more exciting if we were in the Big East. Most schools don't have the opportunity to upgrade their league by that much. We do, and seemingly the only thing holding us back is football. I think it's a mistake to kill football before 2023, but I'm starting to empathize with people who just want to put us out of our misery

Reaction Score
Most of us would not go to a Friday of Saturday game as we are all headed out of Dodge for the long weekend at the beach or in the mountains. I do not understand this objection to the Thursday night before the Labor Day weekend.

For those who travel to games from say greater NYC or Boston metros, one basically has to take time off of work to have any chance to make a 7 PM game. Hell, if I leave Norwalk CT at 5, its doubtful I would be in my seat by the 7 PM kick-off, never mind having enough time to tailgate a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom