UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think what's getting lost in all of this is that we shouldn't be freaking out about the difference between ticket sales from 2005 to 2018, when myriad things have changed, but from 2017 to 2018 when very little has changed. We've been bad for a long time, why would 40% of our base decide to drop season tickets now? What changed in one year? For one thing, it shows to me that aspire isn't worth its weight.

Is anyone at aspire actually doing anything? The only call I got from them in the last year was when I accidentally called them and they called me back.

I'm not sure I even understand the value prop. I don't really need help working a ticket ordering website.

Reaction Score
The ConFLiCT may have become the measuring stick of our success. Having that game as the opener just might have been a bad idea, as stated by others.

If and when we win the ConFLiCT games, then fans will be back. Unreal. Diaco got what he wanted. The ghost of Bob Diaco might haunt us for a while.

Reaction Score
2023 is when craps going to hit the fan. I see two scenarios where football lives.

1. We get accepted into one of the power conferences

2. The Big XII implodes, the AAC disbands, and the best teams in the AAC join up with the Big XII leftovers and a couple stragglers
I’m not sure option 2 would go well for us. I think we get left behind in that scenario. Option one is our only hope. If that doesn’t work out I believe we lose football.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I love how many responses in this thread seem to be happy that they “told you so” and seem to be more happy about that then anything.

Either you support the program by going to the game or not. The single biggest driver of support is winning and that can’t be argued.
I don't think anybody is happy to say "told you so" - those people are the ones who have been going to games. Every person on this forum except maybe 2 have reached their breaking point some time in the past 7 years. If by some miracle UConn goes to a bowl this season next year we'll rebound to, what? maybe 11k-12k ST's? 15k in 2-3 years?

Reaction Score
jhc reall this argument. its like deja vu all over again.
True, but I didn't bring it up. Friday would be even worse and if you went to Saturday on Labor Day weekend, the place would be really deserted.

Reaction Score
True, but I didn't bring it up. Friday would be even worse and if you went to Saturday on Labor Day weekend, the place would be really deserted.

This was being argued around here as a scheduling problem for fickle CT fans, when the program was at its D1A highpoint to date - a decade ago.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

We’ve had this conversation 50 times. Every answer is wrong.

Why they don’t open on the road is beyond me at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the situation is as hopeless as some have made it out to be.
  • Is the conference situation terrible? Yep.
  • Has the team been terrible for years and years and years? Yep.
  • Do people feel squeezed for their entertainment dollars more and more? Yep.
  • Does buying tickets feel like an emotional win when you walk out of the stadium after another crushing loss to SMU? Hahaha... no.
But Connecticut is a state of 3 million people without that much interesting stuff to do. If the team was halfway decent, I do not have a hard time imagining people showing up on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to tailgate and catch a game if the team is halfway competitive. I don't think people will be back in droves even if they were to win 5, 6, 7 games.

But do it over a few seasons. Be a team that is at least trending in the right direction? A team you feel like might get a little bit better each year? Like who knows what the ceiling is when the playoffs expand someday?

I don't know. I'm not necessarily optimistic.

We do have the one Coach who has ever built anything here at the helm, though. So I guess we'll see.

See y'all Thursday.

Reaction Score
Winning is key. Simple. The basketball programs still cam draw solid crowds.

Reaction Score
To the season ticket owners out there - what would YOU do if you were Benedict to try to build up the season ticket numbers?

I'm not talking about winning on the field - that's Edsall's job - I'm talking what the athletic dept can do to get more season tickets purchased...or to stop the season ticket bleeding

Maybe this is worth of a separate thread though..

Reaction Score
Very clearly, we need to make prices MUCH lower for the time being. I paid $149 for 3 chairbacks and apparently half the seats in the stadium will be empty. I should have paid $30 -$40 total. Honestly, I’m all for paying the price I did so the school gets the money, but I’m not the problem. I couldn’t rope in some friends because they didn’t want to pay $200 for a family of four......since they aren’t real fans. They love sports, but just aren’t UConn fans because they moved to CT from PA years back. They aren’t fans of any college football team, but love the Steelers and watch football constantly. They are a prime target. At $40-$50 they would have joined us and then maybe they’d have been back in a couple weeks on their own. The Rent offers a great game experience but the cost has to be keeping thousands from giving it a try.

You can say that tickets are cheap just before the game on Stubhub etc., but that isn’t for people that like to plan. A mom, organizing a fun fall weekend for her family wants to buy the tickets from UConn well in advance, on a reliable web site, for $10 or so and print them out. From there she can coordinate with her husband, relatives, friends etc. to make a day of it. It should be a cheap day of tailgating, football and fun. Instead, it costs a bloody fortune to have a decent chair. Now that we’ve lost 2/3’s of season ticket holders, we need to make adjustments to replace them. I realize a lot of thought goes into pricing but it’s time for an overhaul to the strategy. It is critical to win games, but for now, put butts in seats by any means possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’ve had this conversation 50 times. Every answer is wrong.

Why they don’t open on the road is beyond me at this point.
Because UConn in normal years follows the standard practice of opening against an FCS opponent to iron out the wrinkles before taking on greater challenges which makes a lotta sense. They sure as heck are not gonna play an FCS game away.

I didn't follow how UConn ended up with an undefeated FBS team for their opener but that to me makes no sense at all. Was this self-inflicted or forced on UConn? If the latter, then why? For UCF it works great. An FCS-like opener away before the long weekend. Except UConn is gonna expose some of the glaring weaknesses in the UCF D. At least that is our/my theory based on last year's vid.

Reaction Score
For those who travel to games from say greater NYC or Boston metros, one basically has to take time off of work to have any chance to make a 7 PM game. Hell, if I leave Norwalk CT at 5, its doubtful I would be in my seat by the 7 PM kick-off, never mind having enough time to tailgate a bit.

From Wilton I have to leave before 3pm to get there before kickoff. I usually take a day off for these games, but I’m in Atlanta for work. Beating a dead horse, but the decision to build in E Hartford was a really poor choice. At least the students would go.

Reaction Score
It is more of a time priority issue. I only have so many free hours to spread around. Do I want to spend 4 to 6 of those hours at a UConn football game. That is the dynamic that has to be addressed. Are parents with young children willing to prioritize UConn Football over Soccer, Baseball, Youth Football, etc. Do current 18 to 30 year olds spend 4-6 consecutive hours doing anything?

But this is not exclusive to UCONN football. The fan base for every college team faces this each year, whether it's FBS, FCS, hoops, baseball, even pro teams.

Through 2011 I didn't think twice about sending in my check and couldn't wait for that application to come in the mail. Each year since 2011 I've struggled with the decision to renew. I've had four groups of two, drop out of my crew since 2011, and honestly, if my daughter didn't choose to go to UCONN this fall, opting out was on the table.

So what made it an easy decision from 2003-2011 and a difficult decision from 2012 on? Why are fan bases of other teams choosing to go to games over other activities?

"Ws". Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
From Wilton I have to leave before 3pm to get there before kickoff. I usually take a day off for these games, but I’m in Atlanta for work. Beating a dead horse, but the decision to build in E Hartford was a really poor choice. At least the students would go.
Once we're big time we can build a train line between West Hartford and Storrs for the students, no worries.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

It takes you 4 hours to get to East Hartford?

Reaction Score
Looks like Edasall is putting in better athletes. Lbs as a group should be quicker/faster. The freshman guard over Cespedes as a couple of examples. Not so sure about wr as a group.

We'll know by the end of the first quarter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is the new normal. The market doesn't care about this lousy league. It's too late for winning to save the program. I think it's funny that with all the attrition I get bumped from my seats because I added one.

Reaction Score
When we think we have hit a low point attendance wise we get hit with a new reality. Losing 7000 or 1/3 of our season ticket holders is quite a shock. The fans that have hung in till now I would have thought with Edsall back and recruiting improving would have been back for another season. We are starting all over again without the newness of the Rent and being in the Big East. Can't have many more 3 win seasons. Maybe repricing ticket plans would help winning now is the only cure for this. One has to look back and wonder if Whipple had been chosen by Hathaway would we be in this situation. PP took over a good situation and failed. Then we don't chose Weist and Crazy flim flam Bob built a house of cards. SAD

Reaction Score
We'll know by the end of the first quarter.
Maybe not until the middle of the third quarter. Last year UConn sometimes did great in the first half, but after the opponent had time to review review what was going on at the half the D did a face plant in the third quarter.

Reaction Score
Maybe not until the middle of the third quarter. Last year UConn sometimes did great in the first half, but after the opponent had time to review review what was going on at the half the D did a face plant in the third quarter.

One of the most frustrating aspects of 2017. I felt like they were playing against a Bill Belichick coached team at times. Other teams made positive adjustments at the half, UCONN did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom