UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Season-Ticket Sales Down Sharply From Last Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uh we are 17-44 in our last 5 seasons or so, our season ticket holders have been used and abused by the absurd loyalty/donation crap, and no one has paid over list price for a ticket since... like 2011 maybe? Its a miracle that there are 9000 people that would sign up for that "deal".

Win for a year or two and that will jump back up to the mid 20s with spikes up near 40k for bigtime games.

But that's the key... we need to win.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much winning can help these numbers. What happens when we win 3 games again this year... not much lower that number can drop.

Reaction Score
Boise, UCF, Memphis, and UH all draw good crowds; 30k plus on average. 3 of those schools play in the same conference as we do. Boise plays in a worse conference. All 4 are able to draw good crowds because they win. Yes it helps that they play an exciting brand of football (all have dynamic offenses).

No reason UConn can't get to 30k attendance on average again if we put a winning product on the field.

Well, first of all, none of those schools are in Connecticut. Second of all, those teams haven't just won. They've won big. We are never going to be a perennial 10 win team. If that's what it takes to get people in the door then just shut it down because it's not happening.

Reaction Score
Well, what has changed since then? No winning season since 2011. Even with a BE football schedule, it's not like the conference was that good. Obviously better than the AAC, sure, but I wasn't going to UConn football games to see them play Pitt or Lville or Rutgers.

Besides losing regional and historic rivals, sometimes over time in Connecticut, the newness factor wears off. I've seen the Bridgeport Bluefish, New Haven Ravens, multiple minor league hockey teams all open with huge followings, only to lose attendance year after year until they fold. Winning would change a lot of this. I hope

Reaction Score
The Michigan game was the recent peak in attendance and the decline has continued due to the team's performance. That season, 2013, UConn started 0-9 and by the December Memphis game, 17.1k showed up. In 2014, we drew 35k for BYU to start the season, but that was the highest attended game of the season. The highest attended games in each of the past 3 seasons: 2015: 33k for Navy, 2016: 31.9k for Syracuse, 2017: 24.8k for Tulsa (homecoming).

This is not unique to UConn. Teams with many consecutive losing seasons have attendance declines. Look at Kansas. Their last winning season was in 2008 and they averaged 50.9k fans that season. In 2017, they averaged 26.6k including only 22.8k for Texas. That's right 22.8k for Texas!

If the team wins, more fans will come.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And elsewhere MLB has attendance issues as well. And with the economy strong - all of this is more alarming...what happens in the next recession?
MLB has an attendance issue

Reaction Score
I don't care what the budget is for editing, this is embarrassing:

"And on the even of a season in which the Huskies will lean heavily on freshmen in an attempt to improve on back-to-back 3-9 campaigns, ticket sales are down sharply once again."

And this isn't an anomaly with them. People who fire off press clippings in 20 seconds on Twitter do a better job.

Reaction Score
Ticket prices went way up for people paying seat donations. I tried to explain that but everyone just got mad at me.

That number includes students and the family freebees.

That is downright frightening.

I had the same gripe. I don't think people here got mad at me, but they definitely made a face like I farted in the elevator with them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I had the same gripe. I don't think people here got mad at me, but they definitely made a face like I farted in the elevator with them.

It would have been less annoying if they hadn’t touted they were lowering them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They better show some life the next two weeks. If they get blown out the first two you could see a four figure crowd.

Reaction Score
Boise, UCF, Memphis, and UH all draw good crowds; 30k plus on average. 3 of those schools play in the same conference as we do. Boise plays in a worse conference. All 4 are able to draw good crowds because they win. Yes it helps that they play an exciting brand of football (all have dynamic offenses).

No reason UConn can't get to 30k attendance on average again if we put a winning product on the field.

This is true. When UCF, Houston, and Memphis have been bad, they do not draw fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Memphis game last year did me in finally after fifteen years. Will scalp for five bucks in the parking lot

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more expensive to scalp this year than the last few. So few tickets sold that the only people buying them use them.

Reaction Score
People are missing the fact that when we drew those big crowds ten years ago, not only were we winning, and not only were we in a better conference, but there was also a novelty factor, a growth factor that made people want to invest. Our ascent in the FBS world was going way faster than people expected, and by the time we broke through to the Fiesta Bowl we had already knocked on the door a couple of times. It had the feel of an exciting story, to the point that people were beginning to wonder whether the program was following in basketball's footsteps.

That's gone. Even if Edsall recovers the program, and we dabble with 7-5 or 8-4, I just don't see the excitement getting back to where it was. People can say the dreams were always unrealistic, but that doesn't always matter when it comes to selling tickets. There are no more delusions of grandeur about what you can accomplish playing college football in the state of Connecticut - if we happened to join a premier conference, you'd probably see big crowds the first few times we played a marquee opponent, but after that they'd begin to dwindle with every season we spent in mediocrity. It's not like fans of Syracuse, Pitt, or BC are knocking the doors down right now because the demand is so high. The product won't be there in the northeast because the culture isn't there, and the culture is a lot harder to develop on mile 20 than mile 1.

Reaction Score
Have it on account that this number does not include students. Still, the student number is not moving the needle much this year, but all students can get free tickets to UCF.

Reaction Score
I love how many responses in this thread seem to be happy that they “told you so” and seem to be more happy about that then anything.

Either you support the program by going to the game or not. The single biggest driver of support is winning and that can’t be argued.

Reaction Score
4 tickets offered free to each UConn faculty/staff member. I picked up 8 since wife & I both work there. Will have 10 folks at game including my 2 season tickets. Friend who works in the ticket office tells me the number taking advantage is small, just like last year. I have had folks telling me they picked up 8 tickets but are only using 3 or 4; taking the additional tickets without using them to "insure they have adequate space for their hind ends" they told me... Not a whole lot of hype on-campus about the game... 15k might be a high number for attendance projections....

Reaction Score
People are missing the fact that when we drew those big crowds ten years ago, not only were we winning, and not only were we in a better conference, but there was also a novelty factor, a growth factor that made people want to invest. Our ascent in the FBS world was going way faster than people expected, and by the time we broke through to the Fiesta Bowl we had already knocked on the door a couple of times. It had the feel of an exciting story, to the point that people were beginning to wonder whether the program was following in basketball's footsteps.

That's gone. Even if Edsall recovers the program, and we dabble with 7-5 or 8-4, I just don't see the excitement getting back to where it was. People can say the dreams were always unrealistic, but that doesn't always matter when it comes to selling tickets. There are no more delusions of grandeur about what you can accomplish playing college football in the state of Connecticut - if we happened to join a premier conference, you'd probably see big crowds the first few times we played a marquee opponent, but after that they'd begin to dwindle with every season we spent in mediocrity. It's not like fans of Syracuse, Pitt, or BC are knocking the doors down right now because the demand is so high. The product won't be there in the northeast because the culture isn't there, and the culture is a lot harder to develop on mile 20 than mile 1.

I think this is spot on -- if the team goes 8-4 what's the best we can get? The Boca Raton Bowl? 8-4 used to get us into the Fiesta Bowl -- now it gets us into a [insert corporate sponsor] bowl at best each year.

Reaction Score

Yup. When Memphis sucked they averaged 20K. They once had a home game vs ECU with an announced attendance of 4K.

They'll average over 40K this year. Winning and being competitive in our losses with get us to 30K+.

Reaction Score
And elsewhere MLB has attendance issues as well. And with the economy strong - all of this is more alarming...what happens in the next recession?
MLB has an attendance issue
All sports are, on the whole, experiencing attendance issues. There's a lot of contributing factors - cost of tickets, having to pay Ticketmaster/Stubhub/etc. fees, parking fees, high cost of concessions, poor facilities or seats, increasing numbers of excessively drunk fans causing problems with no response from the facility, poor sightlines from seats, donation fees/PSLs, people's increasing lack of desire to be in public spaces with large numbers of people, and increasingly better HDTV and home entertainment experience....to name a few.

Sports teams are only starting to learn that they can't continue to take advantage of fans via nickel and dime fees, bad seats, and high cost of food. Fans are responding accordingly by not showing up.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Bingo. I'd bet you 90% of CT residents can't even tell you what UCF, ECU, and SMU stands for.

The primary culprit is the conference. Winning will bring some back, but unless we're going 11-0 every year, no one is going to care about seeing us play AAC teams. Doesn't matter how much Aresco and/or Benedict try and talk up the conference, there's absolutely no cache.

Yup. And it hasn't hurt other teams as much because most of them have witnessed a bump in conference prestige. This is much better than their old Conference USA. The only other team who would be disappointed is Cincinnati. They have the benefit of a nice, on campus stadium. I'm sure they're struggling, but they haven't been nearly as bad as us for as long as we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom