Men - UConn Fall Ball 2023 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Ball 2023

Reaction Score
I’ll certainly take ur word on the spin rate…I’m not exactly well versed when it comes to those particular numbers. What is considered a good spin rate?
Average spin rate on a slider for MLB pitchers is ~2500

Reaction Score
Do u happen to know what Willis’s spin rate was last season? Fair comparison?

Reaction Score
With TC and Broadhurst being good to go by the spring, that’s an experienced lineup. Some questions with a few guys, but more so lack of everyday opportunities rather the concern of their ability, I would guess. Either way, that’s 7 returning players in ur lineup with legit year plus exp getting everyday AB’s. Interested how Cooke looks today. Results/stats not concerned about, rather is he a weekend starter? Maybe backend of pen?? I think the multi purpose spot starter, long relief, setup/closer( similar to Kirby) but perhaps a higher ceiling in whatever role he settles in. It may be a weekend starter, but I think that could be an important decision to start the season and throughout.

Reaction Score
With TC and Broadhurst being good to go by the spring, that’s an experienced lineup. Some questions with a few guys, but more so lack of everyday opportunities rather the concern of their ability, I would guess. Either way, that’s 7 returning players in ur lineup with legit year plus exp getting everyday AB’s. Interested how Cooke looks today. Results/stats not concerned about, rather is he a weekend starter? Maybe backend of pen?? I think the multi purpose spot starter, long relief, setup/closer( similar to Kirby) but perhaps a higher ceiling in whatever role he settles in. It may be a weekend starter, but I think that could be an important decision to start the season and throughout.
I would be very surprised if Cooke was not in the weekend rotation to start the season. He is being treated that way in fall ball and all of the information that we have points to a starter role.

Reaction Score
I can’t disagree, my assumption as well. It’s not about talent or capability that makes me say that, more so is starter his most valuable role to the team overall. All signs point to that though, that is true.

Reaction Score
Looks like the live stats aren't available on the UConn Huskies web site. Anyway to access them otherwise?

Reaction Score
Trip Report (I stayed thru 9 innings; had a dinner commitment I had to meet so had to leave)
1) Again a very good crowd for a fall game at 3 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, impressive
2) Weather held up and was excellent; blue skies peeked out in 2nd inning
3) Didn't see Coach Mac at the game maybe I missed him
4) Great to play a team like LIU in the fall. Fundamentally sound, decent enough pitching, and a good test. The game won't get out of hand a la Avery Point.
5) First look at Noah Sorenson played SS. Looks decent and needs to bulk up seems like a nice kid. Hope he does well there. If LIU can get some pitching they could be interesting in their part of the universe.
6) Pitching (Strike zone with first ump looked tight but hard to tell)
a) Cookie (2 IP) 92-93 in first inning, 91 in second inning. When he gets ahead of hitters and can mix in the breaking stuff he becomes effective. When he's behind in counts is when he gets hit hard. Seen him several times now. Net positive outing.
b) SQuigs (2 IP) 92-93. Was behind LIU dugout during this stint. Navarro struck out came back to the dugout and said, "comes inside on ya and it breaks late". Music to my ears. Thought he through well and liked his velocity. It's a quick 92. Appears to be ace of staff.
c) Coe (2 IP) topped out at 87 (mostly 86) but mixed speeds nicely. Every motion and arm angle is the same whether it's 86 or 76. Deceptive and effective
d) Van Emon (2 IP) First time seeing him. Topped out at 89. From my amateur eye I do think when he drops his arm angle it's the slider seems like a tell but can be corrected. Bumpy first frame then easy 2nd.
e) Quinn came on in the 9th and got knocked around and gave up the 4 runs.
f) I have no say but if I did, my rotation would be: Friday night (SQuigs) Saturday (Coe) and Sunday (Cookie). Based on very small sample size Van Emon seems like the goal would be to develop into a quality weekday starter and emergency weekend starter.
7) Dalena hit 3 lasers, 2 left the yard (first one was Reggie Crawford like) and one hit at the base of the 372 sign in RCF. This is why I believe he's a key to this team performing well. He can create separation in games just needs to do it. Did let a ground ball go by him later on but barreled 4 balls good sign. Probably should be flip-flopped with Garbo in the lineup (Don't like garbo hitting 5th that's an RBI spot see below)
8) Daniels continues to struggle at the plate. It's the same AB: Foul balls off to left side and K on breaking stuff in the dirt. Thinking too much? Lack of confidence? Or both? Needs to keep it simple. See it, hit it. He starts hitting the lineup becomes much more interesting
9) Kron drove in a run with a double down the left-field line. Had been on top of everything chopping it into the ground so good to see him contribute. He almost made a spectacular catch in RCF when Van Emon came in. Full speed full layout dive I believe it popped out when he hit the ground. Almost an unbelievable catch at any level of baseball. So close.
10) Malcom didn't have a lot to show for today but hit a ball foul by about a foot at the base of the LF wall and drove a ball down the RF line which was caught. I think he can help them with the bat this year providing quality depth even if in a pinch-hitting role depending on how they use Broadhurst.
10) Davino was first off the bench to pinch hit, TC came on in CF (had a face mask contraption on which must be the injury) Brini in LF and Shpur in RF
11) 3-1 5th inning 1st/2nd nobody out with Morton up and he bunted to advance runners. Garbo and Malcom then K'd. Korey swinging a good bat wouldn't mind seeing the 4 hitter have a go to play for the big inning.
12) They played long ball today which was good to see. Get Broadhurst back with Daniels and Studley hitting the lineup starts to take shape. Pitching looks more stabilized than last year. Barring injuries SP should see step function improvement.

Reaction Score
Great info. It seems Kron will certainly be getting a look at the CF position even if TC is healthy come Jan…couple guys like TC/Padilla being pushed for playing time is a good thing. Especially since both have been reliable n productive for sizable stretches throughout their careers. In relation to the weekend staff, I agree it’s those 3 guys plus maybe Ellison that’ll be in contention for starting. I would personally swap Coe to Sunday…i think if Cooke proves healthy n effective he can slot into the Saturday role. If not Cooke, Ellison or somebody like a Van Emon whom I’m unfamiliar with. And all other newcomers, for that matter! Knowing what the team can typically expect from ur series finale starter, is important in my opinion. I think Coe would settle nice in that role.

Reaction Score
Trip Report (I stayed thru 9 innings; had a dinner commitment I had to meet so had to leave)
1) Again a very good crowd for a fall game at 3 p.m. on a Friday afternoon, impressive
2) Weather held up and was excellent; blue skies peeked out in 2nd inning
3) Didn't see Coach Mac at the game maybe I missed him
4) Great to play a team like LIU in the fall. Fundamentally sound, decent enough pitching, and a good test. The game won't get out of hand a la Avery Point.
5) First look at Noah Sorenson played SS. Looks decent and needs to bulk up seems like a nice kid. Hope he does well there. If LIU can get some pitching they could be interesting in their part of the universe.
6) Pitching (Strike zone with first ump looked tight but hard to tell)
a) Cookie (2 IP) 92-93 in first inning, 91 in second inning. When he gets ahead of hitters and can mix in the breaking stuff he becomes effective. When he's behind in counts is when he gets hit hard. Seen him several times now. Net positive outing.
b) SQuigs (2 IP) 92-93. Was behind LIU dugout during this stint. Navarro struck out came back to the dugout and said, "comes inside on ya and it breaks late". Music to my ears. Thought he through well and liked his velocity. It's a quick 92. Appears to be ace of staff.
c) Coe (2 IP) topped out at 87 (mostly 86) but mixed speeds nicely. Every motion and arm angle is the same whether it's 86 or 76. Deceptive and effective
d) Van Emon (2 IP) First time seeing him. Topped out at 89. From my amateur eye I do think when he drops his arm angle it's the slider seems like a tell but can be corrected. Bumpy first frame then easy 2nd.
e) Quinn came on in the 9th and got knocked around and gave up the 4 runs.
f) I have no say but if I did, my rotation would be: Friday night (SQuigs) Saturday (Coe) and Sunday (Cookie). Based on very small sample size Van Emon seems like the goal would be to develop into a quality weekday starter and emergency weekend starter.
7) Dalena hit 3 lasers, 2 left the yard (first one was Reggie Crawford like) and one hit at the base of the 372 sign in RCF. This is why I believe he's a key to this team performing well. He can create separation in games just needs to do it. Did let a ground ball go by him later on but barreled 4 balls good sign. Probably should be flip-flopped with Garbo in the lineup (Don't like garbo hitting 5th that's an RBI spot see below)
8) Daniels continues to struggle at the plate. It's the same AB: Foul balls off to left side and K on breaking stuff in the dirt. Thinking too much? Lack of confidence? Or both? Needs to keep it simple. See it, hit it. He starts hitting the lineup becomes much more interesting
9) Kron drove in a run with a double down the left-field line. Had been on top of everything chopping it into the ground so good to see him contribute. He almost made a spectacular catch in RCF when Van Emon came in. Full speed full layout dive I believe it popped out when he hit the ground. Almost an unbelievable catch at any level of baseball. So close.
10) Malcom didn't have a lot to show for today but hit a ball foul by about a foot at the base of the LF wall and drove a ball down the RF line which was caught. I think he can help them with the bat this year providing quality depth even if in a pinch-hitting role depending on how they use Broadhurst.
10) Davino was first off the bench to pinch hit, TC came on in CF (had a face mask contraption on which must be the injury) Brini in LF and Shpur in RF
11) 3-1 5th inning 1st/2nd nobody out with Morton up and he bunted to advance runners. Garbo and Malcom then K'd. Korey swinging a good bat wouldn't mind seeing the 4 hitter have a go to play for the big inning.
12) They played long ball today which was good to see. Get Broadhurst back with Daniels and Studley hitting the lineup starts to take shape. Pitching looks more stabilized than last year. Barring injuries SP should see step function improvement.
To add to your notes for what you may have missed:
Rispoli came in to play 2nd off the bench the last few innings. Oates had an AB late.
The last few innings Tammaro was at 3rd with Padilla at SS. Seems to me left side of infield will be those two guys in some fashion.
Quinn pitched the 10th and had a 1-2-3 inning after the rough ninth. Ellison pitched the 11th and was solid. Carrea pitched the 12th and was generally impressive lots of swing and misses, slider looked unhittable.
Broadhurst played 1B the last few innings but did not hit.

Reaction Score
Kron defensively is a jem. Covers lots of ground and has a great arm.
Thanks for the additional info. What did you think of Kron's throw on that sac fly? I believe that was the one the LIU player was called out for leaving early?

Reaction Score
I’ll certainly take ur word on the spin rate…I’m not exactly well versed when it comes to those particular numbers. What is considered a good spin rate?
avg mlb spin rate on sliders is around 2500 RPM'S

Reaction Score
Kron defensively is a jem. Covers lots of ground and has a great arm.

I've mentioned before in these threads that when Kron played two summer ago for Norwich in the Futures League that he impressed me with his speed, outfield defense, and his base running. If he hits some, he could be quite a player.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the additional info. What did you think of Kron's throw on that sac fly? I believe that was the one the LIU player was called out for leaving early?
The play before the sac fly on the triple it looked like he got the out on a ridiculous throw (called safe). That throw likely led to the kid leaving early on the sac fly on the next AB. Strong and accurate arm out there for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom