UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some other post mentioned what may be happening with the players. Captains speaking. Weist better than 50/50

Reaction Score
Some other post mentioned what may be happening with the players. Captains speaking. Weist better than 50/50

If players input meant anything GDL would have been fired in his first year. Unless it's Grambling St type stuff the players input is minimal, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Timing would indicate that he is not going to make an announcement. My guess is he says the following:
1. I told you SOBs that I wouldn't poach during the season
2. Season ends today. Our process will be x, y, z
3. We have a few finalists and expect to vet them over the next x days
4. There will be no timetable on an announcement until we find the right fit
5. I will continue to monitor the conference landscape.
6. Hey, how bout that Field Hockey championship
7. Doesn't that guy over there look a lot like Jim Delaney?

Well yeah, you pretty much nailed it, at least #1 through #6.

#7 would be a nice surprise though.

Reaction Score
Well yeah, you pretty much nailed it, at least #1 through #6.

#7 would be a nice surprise though.
Well then, disappointing. Should say nothing until he has a coach. The rest is fluff. We already heard he was going to wait until after the season. Just want to see him get it right.

Reaction Score
If we end up with a good coach who fits our needs - great. If we end up with guy #2 or 3 and is a poor fit because of some self-imposed hiatus, then we have another major failure because someone failed to mention the starting gun went off as soon as we fired our old coach.

I don't expect much tomorrow other than some confident reassurance for the press and more fodder for wild speculation in the yard. My hope is that they send in a look-alike with some donuts for the press and Ward is off on a plane to coachville.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If players input meant anything GDL would have been fired in his first year. Unless it's Grambling St type stuff the players input is minimal, IMHO.
The idea that the players have any say is making my head hurt.
Sportsart and Whaler on the same wavelength??? Is this a sign of the apocalypse????

Reaction Score
Maybe Warde will do something similar to what he did with hiring the hockey coach...announce that it is down to these three guys? And announce next week who it's going to be.
College hockey (maybe two openings a year) vs College Football ( 15 openings a year minimum). Could never "announce" candidates in college football. College football coaches have real agents gaming the system. College hockey coaches have their brother's as their agents. If they're lucky they'll listen to their older brothers.

Reaction Score
Warde will simply be discussing with an understandably inquisitive media about how the process is currently going with the search firm etc. After that there will be no further comment until the final announcement.There's nothing more to it. Warde had stated previously that he'd have nothing to say about the search until the season ended. He has stayed true to his word and actually intended for this meeting to take place after the game, but with it being senior day and the media's need to be in the post game locker room, coupled with their reporting deadlines, they requested that it take place before.

Reaction Score
Warde will simply be discussing with an understandably inquisitive media about how the process is currently going with the search firm etc. After that there will be no further comment until the final announcement.There's nothing more to it. Warde had stated previously that he'd have nothing to say about the search until the season ended. He has stayed true to his word and actually intended for this meeting to take place after the game, but with it being senior day and the media's need to be in the post game locker room, coupled with their reporting deadlines, they requested that it take place before.

Thanks official defender of everything the administration does.

That really cleared things up.

Reaction Score
Warde was just on 1080...missed half of it but doesn't sound like he said a whole lot except we need the right person....

Reaction Score
Well then, disappointing. Should say nothing until he has a coach. The rest is fluff. We already heard he was going to wait until after the season. Just want to see him get it right.

I agree. This is amateur hour.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Warde was just on 1080...missed half of it but doesn't sound like he said a whole lot except we need the right person....

I'm going to give WM the benefit of the doubt, knowing that he will be asked these questions that the PC is to control the message, state that he plans to move quickly (knowing he has it nearly in the bag), thank the fans, say TJ has done a great job pulling the team together and pimp next season's inevitable return to prominence.

Then on Thursday announce the new guy.

He said pretty much this ^^^. Added that he's been seeking input from former players, boosters, and AD and coaching contacts from around the country. Also, the job is well regarded and the goal is building on the championship levels of the past for the FB program and the entire AD.

Lastly, said he time isn't an issue (don't completely agree) and he hasn't interviewed any coaches which I find a bit disturbing if taken literally (He has to have put out feelers or had proxy discussions, right?). I hope he has taken full advantage of the time he's had.

KN then sucked up to him by saying JC and GA weren't "names" before they arrived.

Reaction Score
UConnFB_Andrew11:03am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: "I'm at a point, probably had hundreds of conversations .... Ready to talk to candidates and sit down with people.

UConnFB_Andrew11:03am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: Talked to 25 fmr. UConn players from 60s to last year's team to see what they want to see.

UConnFB_Andrew11:04am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says he's very happy and confident with candidate pool.

UConnFB_Andrew11:04am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: "This is not rebuilding."

HRJimFuller11:05am via Twitter for iPhone
Warde Manuel said #UConn football job is not a rebuilding job but a building on job

UConnFB_Andrew11:06am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: "You will hear from me again when I'm introducing the next head coach at the University of Connecticut."

UConnFB_Andrew11:08am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: (on why this isn't rebuilding) "We've won multiple championships, we've been to multiple bowl games, we've been to a BCS bowl game."

desmondconner11:08am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel said he has not interviewed anyone regarding #UConnFootball head coaching position yet ... That changes tomorrow

UConnFB_Andrew11:08am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says no timetable. Wants right person, no matter how long it takes. Number of candidates "can vary".

UConnFB_Andrew11:09am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says most he's looked at have head coaching or coordinator experience. Not looking at one side of the ball or for one background type

UConnFB_Andrew11:11am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: "In conversations I've had about candidates ... easy to find out whether they have HC qualities before you even interview them."

UConnFB_Andrew11:11am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: "Been very impressed with T.J. and what he has done." Won't say whether he is a candidate.

NHRJimFuller11:12am via Twitter for iPhone
Warde Manuel won't say whether T.J. Weist is candidate for UConn job but impressed with job he has done

UConnFB_Andrew11:15am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says he's not targeting a guy who knows the northeast, but it is important for how well the candidate fits with UConn.

desmondconner11:16am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel said a coach with Northeast ties is important but not that concerned with it, " if you can recruit you can recruit" #uconnfb

UConnFB_Andrew11:17am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel: (on making a quick hire to keep 2014 recruiting class intact) "It's important, but we're about to hit a dead period here."

UConnFB_Andrew11:20am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel seems to be relying most on his private conversations held with people close to the candidates being looking at for his information.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most people here want a "name" I expect many will be disappointed, but this press conference has a point then I would love to know what it is.

Reaction Score
The idea that the players have any say is making my head hurt.
Sure, but differences exist between referencing the possibility an AD communicates with some captains about a coaching change and inferring the student-athletes have a direct say in who is actually hired.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most people here want a "name" I expect many will be disappointed, but this press conference has a point then I would love to know what it is.

I agree with Warde on this. Names, shmames, I want the guy. This program has everything else save conference affiliation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It seems pretty clear that TJ is not 50/50 to get the job.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
It appears that 1) Weist is not the guy, and 2) the top 3 names we think we're on (Narduzzi, Lembo, Clawson) are probably the guys Warde is targeting. Now that seasons are over and bowl games are awaiting, it's time to bring those guys in. Decision to come likely by end of next week.

Reaction Score
UConnFB_Andrew11:24am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says interview process will "ramp up" tomorrow. Imagine face-to-face conversations will come quickly.

EdDaigneault11:24am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says he wants to talk to a candidate face to face. Tomorrow? "Um, yeah," he says

PaulDoyle111:26am via Twitter for iPhone
Manuel says search ramps up tomorrow. In fact he'll talk to someone tomorrow #UConnFB

NHRJimFuller11:27am via Twitter for iPhone
Warde Manuel said he thinks UConn is in great place to name new coach

UConnFB_Andrew11:33am via Twitter for iPhone
Presser over. Manuel wants rest of today to be about the seniors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He said pretty much this ^^^. Added that he's been seeking input from former players, boosters, and AD and coaching contacts from around the country. Also, the job is well regarded and the goal is building on the championship levels of the past for the FB program and the entire AD.

Lastly, said he time isn't an issue (don't completely agree) and he hasn't interviewed any coaches which I find a bit disturbing if taken literally (He has to have put out feelers or had proxy discussions, right?). I hope he has taken full advantage of the time he's had.

KN then sucked up to him by saying JC and GA weren't "names" before they arrived.

God I hate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog