UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
That's a dumb thing to say. Now you sound like Nelson.

If Warde thinks TJ has what it takes he should hire him, case closed, Boneyard opinion be damned.

No matter who Warde hires, if that coach fails Warde's job will be on the line.

Yeah who cares what the fans think. Warde can buy all 40k seats next year.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah who cares what the fans think. Warde can buy all 40k seats next year.

I thinking winning on the field is more important that what you think.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No. A press conference is very different.

My optimistic side thinks that WM has his guy and its a high profile guy and he wants to create a little buzz.

What is the very different aspect of a press conference vs. meeting with media?

Runway Ron indicated a press conference is used to announce something. Well, they have something to announce: The method by which they plan to hire a new coach. A Q&A session typically follows the announcement. So that's not it.

Confidentiality? Are you under the impression that the substance of the "meeting with the media" won't be tweeted out as soon as it is over or even as it happens? The whole reason the "Meet with the Media" is to make an announcement known.

So now I am curious what the difference is.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
One point that I didn't think of...

What's the best way to make sure that NOBODY shows up to senior day?

...hold a presser 2 hours before game time.

Wtf - this is just so damned odd...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
What is the very different aspect of a press conference vs. meeting with media?

Runway Ron indicated a press conference is used to announce something. Well, they have something to announce: The method by which they plan to hire a new coach. A Q&A session typically follows the announcement. So that's not it.

Confidentiality? Are you under the impression that the substance of the "meeting with the media" won't be tweeted out as soon as it is over or even as it happens? The whole reason the "Meet with the Media" is to make an announcement known.

So now I am curious what the difference is.

A press conference is usually a formal thing with the AD sitting in front of a podium, announcing something and taking questions. If its a press conference to announce a new coach, he'll be there as well, speak and take questions.

A meeting is more informal. Maybe he stop by the press booth and they'll gather and talk about the process. He might drop hints or tell them stuff off the record but he won't announce a new coach at a meeting with the press. It will be a press conference.

Reaction Score
One point that I didn't think of...

What's the best way to make sure that NOBODY shows up to senior day?

...hold a presser 2 hours before game time.

Wtf - this is just so damned odd...

They are all there anyways... maybe they have to come a half hour early.

Reaction Score
The names listed in the article are a combination of who SB nation was guessing (Foster, et al) and who the author is guessing (Ambrose, Whip). Anyone reading more into those names is wasting a good amount of time and effort.

My guess is that the press conference is to thank the fans for their patience, thank the current members of the football coaching staff, primarily the interim HC for their time, let them know that no matter how the job search turns out their efforts have been appreciated and their continued employment at the school is not out of the realm of possibility (even though that will be entirely the new HC's decision). To give the fans some (very minor) insight into the depth and bradth of the coaching search, the assure them that this will not be a repeat of Hathaway picking P and to assure the fans that the school is committed to building the football program into something that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the other top athletic programs at UConn.

This will be PR move that won't tell us much more than we already know but will also keep people from losing their minds because USC & UW have been quicker than we've been in hiring a head coach.
totally agree

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A press conference is usually a formal thing with the AD sitting in front of a podium, announcing something and taking questions. If its a press conference to announce a new coach, he'll be there as well, speak and take questions.

A meeting is more informal. Maybe he stop by the press booth and they'll gather and talk about the process. He might drop hints or tell them stuff off the record but he won't announce a new coach at a meeting with the press. It will be a press conference.

So venue is the difference?

Why announce an informal drop-in 24 hours in advance? In the 24/7 new media cycle with a gathering of different outlets and twitter, there is no such thing as off-the-record. Anything off the record with multiple outlets is bound to be leaked. Off the Record occurs in a back booth at Up or On the Rocks, one-on-one with a single reporter.

They are the same thing. It's semantics. We will learn the same thing at either a press meeting or media conference.

Reaction Score
I disagree Skibs. It's the timing that's at the least is odd and at the worst is bad. Two hours before kickoff of the last game doesn't make a whole lot of sense. After the game would make much, much more sense. Let TJ coach the damn game without any more drama than is alread there.

Just can't think of a case where an AD did this on gameday ahead of kickoff.

Maybe it's Lembo. DeRuyter, Narduzzi and Herman all have games later that day.

Timing would indicate that he is not going to make an announcement. My guess is he says the following:
1. I told you SOBs that I wouldn't poach during the season
2. Season ends today. Our process will be x, y, z
3. We have a few finalists and expect to vet them over the next x days
4. There will be no timetable on an announcement until we find the right fit
5. I will continue to monitor the conference landscape.
6. Hey, how bout that Field Hockey championship
7. Doesn't that guy over there look a lot like Jim Delaney?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Timing would indicate that he is not going to make an announcement. My guess is he says the following:

1. Fine, you are a class guy Warde. Good idea to not upset potential future employers.
2. Mercifully, it does. I find the use of future tense, troublesome.
3. You mean you haven't found him yet?
4. You really haven't found him yet?!
5. Statements like that will get you punched in the throat.
6. Statements like that don't help, either.
7. I take that your mention of his name, means you aren't currently party to a non-discloure agreement.

Any thing short of, "We are exchanging salary/contract requirements with our top two to three finalists and hope to make our choice in the next few days and plan an announcement on Thursday," will be a dissapointment.

Reaction Score

If says anything like that, strike two.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At first I thought this meant a Weist announcement. Now that I think about it... would WM take the chance of announcing Weist as the new HC only to have him lose to Memphis 3 hours later? I don't think so. Hopefully the fans and everyone in the program expect us to win tomorrow, but as recently as 2-3 weeks ago the fanbase was preparing to go 0-12. Even if UConn is favored by a comfortable margin and WM has decided Weist is the right guy I don't think WM would announce it before the game.

Reaction Score
I really think Warde wants us to go 0-12 each year or at the least 4-8.

We're doomed!!!!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
No. A press conference is very different.

My optimistic side thinks that WM has his guy and its a high profile guy and he wants to create a little buzz.

Before the game makes no sense then.

Reaction Score
If says anything like that, strike two.
He's already on strike 2. The sooner he hits the road, the better. Not an iota of big time experience and clueless on CR.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm going to give WM the benefit of the doubt, knowing that he will be asked these questions that the PC is to control the message, state that he plans to move quickly (knowing he has it nearly in the bag), thank the fans, say TJ has done a great job pulling the team together and pimp next season's inevitable return to prominence.

Then on Thursday announce the new guy.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
I'm not even going to discuss Ollie until he actually does something. first chance comes in March. In major college basketball that and only that is what counts. the rest are basically exhibition games.

Were you there Monday night?

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
If businesslawyer is the new coach, will he call plays from 241?

Nice. I can be the assistant play caller. Just hope I don't drink too much Laphroaig at the tailgate.

Reaction Score
pepband99 said:
One point that I didn't think of... What's the best way to make sure that NOBODY shows up to senior day? ...hold a presser 2 hours before game time. Wtf - this is just so damned odd...

Yeah. I usually make my plans around press conferences. Wow.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
1. Fine, you are a class guy Warde. Good idea to not upset potential future employers. 2. Mercifully, it does. I find the use of future tense, troublesome. 3. You mean you haven't found him yet? 4. You really haven't found him yet?! 5. Statements like that will get you punched in the throat. 6. Statements like that don't help, either. 7. I take that your mention of his name, means you aren't currently party to a non-discloure agreement. Any thing short of, "We are exchanging salary/contract requirements with our top two to three finalists and hope to make our choice in the next few days and plan an announcement on Thursday," will be a dissapointment.

I vote that SB punches Warde in the throat if it doesn't end well.

Reaction Score
Maybe Warde will do something similar to what he did with hiring the hockey coach...announce that it is down to these three guys? And announce next week who it's going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom