UConn/ACC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The Director's Cup is the gold standard. It is what each of the P5 Commissioners and all of the Athletics Departments in major Division I sports care about and talk about. John Swofford just brought it up yesterday during his welcome speech at Louisville. They don't even discuss the Capital One Cup or anything else. The twenty sport limit prevents a big department like Stanford or Ohio State, who field 30+ sports from running away with it, although it hasn't stopped Stanford yet. It also doesn't let a small department of 16 sports who might win one major sport National Championship win it either.

Yes if you're in women's bowling, fencing, or have a ski team, you can get points. That's part of it, but I had to go to the fourth page to even find Temple to see what you're worrying about. The issues you are complaining about are on the margin. They are not even a factor at the top. If you want to fight city hall, go ahead. But the Director's Cup is today's measurement of athletics department success nationally. It is not ignored.
I agree, for the most part. The only issue I have with the directors cup is that the points awarded should be weighted based on participation. A men's bball championship from a pool of 320 should have a much greater value than a hockey championship over 50 other schools or men's water polo over 20 schools.

Reaction Score
The B1G cares about Olympic sports. The B1G sponsors 28 sports. More than the ACC, PAC 12, SEC, and Big 12. Ohio State sponsors 36 sports and has national championships this year in women's rowing and synchronized swimming.

Reaction Score
I agree, for the most part. The only issue I have with the directors cup is that the points awarded should be weighted based on participation. A men's bball championship from a pool of 320 should have a much greater value than a hockey championship over 50 other schools or men's water polo over 20 schools.

The points are weighted to a degree in the Director's Cup. First place finishes all get 100 points, but after that it's weighted by participation like you suggest. Third place in baseball gets 83. Third in Women's Water Polo gets 72.5. Third in Men's Volleyball gets 25.

Reaction Score
Tell that to your conference mate posting up thread. He clearly only values 1 or 2 sports and assumes that everyone else should feel the same.

Yes, we do unfortunately have those types of individuals but, fortunately, they're a recalcitrant minority that loves to only annoy people and give the impression that they represent more than themselves.

BTW, everyone else, including FSU, decided to stay put and work to better the conference. So no further departures are expected. This kind of stability would be attractive to a school like UConn.

Reaction Score
BTW, everyone else, including FSU, decided to stay put and work to better the conference. So no further departures are expected. This kind of stability would be attractive to a school like UConn.

Oh yeah, that sounds like some rock-solid stability you got going on there.

Reaction Score
Weighted? #17 in Baseball = 50 points; #17 in Mens Tennis = 50 Points; #17 in Womens Tennis = 50 Points; #17 in Mens T&F = 57 Points; #17 Mens Basketball = 50 points; #17 Womens basketball = 50 points. #13 Fencing = 51 Points; #19 Womens Gymnastics = 52.5 points; #17 Mens CC = 57 points; #17 Womens CC = 57 points; #17 in Womens VB = 50 points; and #20 in Football = 54 points. . . and so on. All one needs to do is look at the data.

Another disservice is how the Directors Cup clumps teams together in bracket tournaments. For instance, in Mens Basketball, teams 33-64 get awarded the same points. Teams 17-32 get exactly the same number of points. So a team seeded 16 in the NCAA tournament and didn't win a game picked up points while the teams that played in the NIT final and finished in the top 30 in the final rankings get no points. Bogus.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/dcscoring.pdf

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What Ville "owns" is a large fanbase that has proven to support the various programs, especially football and basketball. You see, in ACC territory, we support our programs. Sure, some fanbases gravitate towards one sport the most, either basketball or football. What we don't do is make up excuses, like traffic, kids games, the pros, etc. We just go. Still, it's nice to know the differences between the two regions.

If we add UConn then we'd be very solid, with athletic power going from Florida all the way up to Massachusetts, including NY/Conn/CNY/WPA/Ohio Valley. That is a set-up best positioned for the future.

Also, do not forget the ACCIAC: http://acciac.org/about-the-acciac/member-institutions/

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What Ville "owns" is a large fanbase that has proven to support the various programs, especially football and basketball. You see, in ACC territory, we support our programs. Sure, some fanbases gravitate towards one sport the most, either basketball or football. What we don't do is make up excuses, like traffic, kids games, the pros, etc. We just go. Still, it's nice to know the differences between the two regions.

If we add UConn then we'd be very solid, with athletic power going from Florida all the way up to Massachusetts, including NY/Conn/CNY/WPA/Ohio Valley. That is a set-up best positioned for the future.

Also, do not forget the ACCIAC: http://acciac.org/about-the-acciac/member-institutions/
Take a look at BC attendance for pretty much anything and get back to me.

Reaction Score

LOL here ya go.

ar11765951044996.jpg

Reaction Score
Take a look at BC attendance for pretty much anything and get back to me.

So what conference doesn't have outliers? In any large organization there will be one or two. What about the support with the rest?

Reaction Score
No doubts...they never mentioned markets of which doubtless the "Terps" is overwhelmingly larger...ville don't really own anything even in Kentucky and any part(and that includes W.Conn) of the wealthy populous midatlantic is a "goldmine"!
The college sports fans in the Commonwealth of Kentucky care about one thing, college basketball. The jealosy in Lexington right now is at its highest fever pitch ever. No one in Lexington gives a flip about college football. The envy of the slate of games that will be flowing through the Yum Center in Louisville vs the boredom of what flows through Rupp Arena every year is driving them crazy. They absolutely hate Duke, and now they have to watch Louisville play Duke. I have three UK grads as cousins. I can assure you of this fact. Check back in 5 years to find out who owns the attention of college sports fans in Kentucky.

Your statement about who owns something is more appropriate for Maryland. In their region all the attention is on Redskins, Ravens, Orioles, Nationals, Wizards, and Capitals. That's why Maryland, who is almost twice the size of UVA, gets lower attendance, has lower fundraising, has less fan interest, runs a deficit budget, and has cut sports. What little extra sponsorship Maryland got out of the community 20 years ago is now going to the Nationals, who are the latest team on the scene. Being in the Big Ten won't change much for Maryland other than making the deficit smaller. But they are talking about increased spending, so nothing will change.

Reaction Score
The college sports fans in the Commonwealth of Kentucky care about one thing, college basketball. The jealosy in Lexington right now is at its highest fever pitch ever. No one in Lexington gives a flip about college football. The envy of the slate of games that will be flowing through the Yum Center in Louisville vs the boredom of what flows through Rupp Arena every year is driving them crazy. They absolutely hate Duke, and now they have to watch Louisville play Duke. I have three UK grads as cousins. I can assure you of this fact. Check back in 5 years to find out who owns the attention of college sports fans in Kentucky.

Your statement about who owns something is more appropriate for Maryland. In their region all the attention is on Redskins, Ravens, Orioles, Nationals, Wizards, and Capitals. That's why Maryland, who is almost twice the size of UVA, gets lower attendance, has lower fundraising, has less fan interest, runs a deficit budget, and has cut sports. What little extra sponsorship Maryland got out of the community 20 years ago is now going to the Nationals, who are the latest team on the scene. Being in the Big Ten won't change much for Maryland other than making the deficit smaller. But they are talking about increased spending, so nothing will change.
Thank's for the interesting information....don't we have a Md poster here to respond? Seem's the move has stirred some passions in the ACC? I thought the state of MD was smaller in population than Va by 3.5 or 4M? Its certainly smaller geographically!! Va is almost as populous as N.C. or N.J. no?I figured Md at just under 6M??

pj

Reaction Score

If true, that's good for us. If Kentucky wants to move to a better basketball conference, like the B1G, they would provide a potential partner for us. Or they could lobby to bring us into the SEC.

Reaction Score
Thank's for the interesting information....don't we have a Md poster here to respond? Seem's the move has stirred some passions in the ACC? I thought the state of MD was smaller in population than Va by 3.5 or 4M? Its certainly smaller geographically!! Va is almost as populous as N.C. or N.J. no?I figured Md at just under 6M??

It's not worth responding to prolonged bitterness. UVa and UMD will both be fine. No biggie.

To your other point, the state of Virginia is more populous than Maryland, but UMD has a higher enrollment than UVa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not worth responding to prolonged bitterness. UVa and UMD will both be fine. No biggie.

To your other point, the state of Virginia is more populous than Maryland, but UMD has a higher enrollment than UVa.
Thank's brother...I thought so but not as densely populated and I think Md is more popular than the Cav's are in their homestate !?! Bitter? That sounds exactly like the feeling's conveyed by bstimpy...your right responding to him is futile...he knows it all and will give you a headache if you disagree lol!

Reaction Score
Well Nicky...ESPN has rated Louisville, of all metered areas, with more households that watch ESPN basketball....for 12 straight years...ESPN thinks Louisville is the bee's knees.

"Once again, the Louisville television market was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular college basketball season telecasts, averaging a 4.5 rating for the entire season. Greensboro, N.C., Kansas City and Raleigh-Durham N.C. finished tied for second with a 2.8 rating.

The ratings are an industry standard used to estimate the percentage of households in a media market that are tuned to a station while a program is being aired.

It’s the 12th consecutive year that Louisville has finished the season as the top television market for college basketball on ESPN.

And it’s not just ESPN that has experienced the big ratings in the past in the Louisville market."

Reaction Score
Baltimore brings in fewer ESPN watchers then about two dozen other markets including Richmond, Memphis, Birmingham and the like....

About the same number of watchers as Albuquerque and Vegas.

pj

Reaction Score
Baltimore brings in fewer ESPN watchers then about two dozen other markets including Richmond, Memphis, Birmingham and the like....

About the same number of watchers as Albuquerque and Vegas.

Louisville media market 667,000 homes
Baltimore media market 1,102,000 homes
Connecticut media market 1,400,000 homes

Ratings are based on percentage of homes tuned in. You have to multiply them by households to get "watchers."

Reaction Score

You can check back in 5 years or 500 and it won't make 1 iota of difference. Ville will always be little brother to UK. The state bleeds Kentucky Blue not Cardinal Red. Excuse me except in the Louisville, KY DMA LOL. This is no different than 15-20 similar pairings across the country. You should know this, as The ACC is chock full of them.

As for MD, your set up tells the entire story. They are competing with no less than 6 professional teams for people's free time and dollars. If they stink, which is possible, their support will remain status quo. If they win games against some name opponents, people will take note. Their situation is much like Rutgers in that they have to win regularly to carve out some local attention for themselves.

Finally, if the B1G makes anywhere near the 35-45 million dollars per team numbers that are often thrown around, how will that not help their AD make up ground? If the ACC is making 20-25 million per year am I to believe that their added travel expenses will be 10-20 million dollars per year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually travel isn't as bad as you might think. For example, many sports are east heavy. Men's soccer has 9 schools. The 7 east schools, plus northwestern and Wisconsin. That is one road trip to the central time zone per year. Men's lacrosse is six teams all in the east. Women's lax only has northwestern in the central time zone. Field hockey is the 7 east schools plus Northwestern and Iowa. One central road trip per year. Softball is scheduling divisions without having divisions. The east teams all play each other plus 2 west teams, meaning one trip to a west division school per year. Sports like cross country, track and field, and swimming and diving have the conference championship meet only in one location and you can play whoever you want during the season. Outside of basketball, volleyball and wrestling, Rutgers and Maryland will rarely play in the central time zone.

Reaction Score
Well Nicky...ESPN has rated Louisville, of all metered areas, with more households that watch ESPN basketball....for 12 straight years...ESPN thinks Louisville is the bee's knees.

"Once again, the Louisville television market was the highest-rated metered market for ESPN’s regular college basketball season telecasts, averaging a 4.5 rating for the entire season. Greensboro, N.C., Kansas City and Raleigh-Durham N.C. finished tied for second with a 2.8 rating.

The ratings are an industry standard used to estimate the percentage of households in a media market that are tuned to a station while a program is being aired.

It’s the 12th consecutive year that Louisville has finished the season as the top television market for college basketball on ESPN.

And it’s not just ESPN that has experienced the big ratings in the past in the Louisville market."
Anything on Kentucky in the "Villes" market ratings billy? As we know L'ville is one of the team's you like along with WV after FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom